Ambit Energy / Ambit is a rip off

1 TX, United States Review updated:

Where do I begin??? I have only had Ambit Energy since October 2008. I REGRET signing up for a contract on July 3, 2009. I had a bill due on July 10th. I was in the middle of moving, and I do admit I did not pay it. HOWEVER, I NEVER RECEIVED A DISCONNECTION NOTICE. I DID receive 2 more bills. One showing a due date of July 31 and another showing August 10th. I know once was final bill from previous address. So, when I got my bill showing due July 31, I thought ok, it shows past due balance, new total balance, and due date. NOTHING ABOUT DISCONNECTION CHARGES, DISCONNECTION OR ANYTHING TO THAT NATURE. So, I wanted to find out what the full amount was that I owed so I could send a check. So on Tuesday, July 28th, I called them on my lunch break. Out of my 30 minute lunch break, I spent about 15 minutes ON HOLD listening to the recording asking if I was calling to establish new service to press another number and if not the call would go to the next available customer service rep. The next rep NEVER answered. When I came home, SURPRISE NO POWER.I called Ambit Energy and was on hold AGAIN from 5:33pm -5:46 and the line was disconnected. I called AGAIN and was on hold for another 10 minutes before a rep, Garron answered. He said it was due to bill not paid. I explained the bill problem and that I had called that afternoon with no answer. I was told I would have to pay almost 300 to get reconnected., my past due plus fees. And that power would be connected in the next 24 hours. I told the rep I was a single mom and had NO WHERE to go. He said they send a disconnection notice. I told him, they may have sent it but I did not get it. He said they also called but admitted if it goes to voce mail they do NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE. I told him a call doesn’t mean jack if they do not leave a message. I work during the day and cannot answer my cell phone. I told him I’ll make the payment since I don‘t have a choice and move on. I had already asked for a supervisor, but he told me there were no supervisors. After I made the payment and got a confirmation #, I told him I find it is odd that a call center does not have a supervisor there, then all the sudden, he offered to get one for me. I spoke with a “so called supervisor” named Fred. He gave me the same spill and said “If you had called us earlier in the day, we could have had your power turned back on today.” I had to remind him again, I HAD called and was on hold for 15 minutes with no answer. He said they sometimes experience high call volumes. Well, I wonder why!!! I told him I work at a call center myself and 20 minute hold time before anyone ever answers is UNACCEPTABLE. He didn’t seem to care that the customer service sucked! He told me and I QUOTE “We will send the reconnection to Encore as a priority. All of our reconnections are sent as priority.” I called Encore about an hour later to follow up on the order. I spoke to a supervisor named Stephanie, and she told me AMBIT DOES NOT send reconnections as standard and the only way to get a priority order is by paying another $98 fee!! FRED, the SUPERVISOR never even mentioned that as an option, but did say ALL RECONNECTIONS were sent as priority. SHE told me it can be anywhere from 8am-midngiht. MORE THAN 24 HOURS, as stated by Ambit. So, my son and I spent most of our night outside and driving around. We came back home to sleep in a hot upstairs apartment. (not a good night for either of us to sleep in, but had no money for hotel or anywhere to go). The power finally came back on at 8:29am. Thank God I had taken the day off for something. THIS IS NOT OVER. I called On Wednesday to get the balance left and due date. The rep told me it was STILL due on July 31, 3 days later for Another $200. I told her I can’t pay it. She said “We will send a disconnection notice on Aug 1 and you will have 10 more days to pay.” I told her, “ No I am calling you now and telling you ahead of time, I cannot pay it by then since I just paid almost 300 last night!” She repeated herself and I told her again, I can’t pay it. After I got mad about it, she finally said “We can make payment arrangements for 60% of the bill PLUS A 20 FEE !!! (ANOTHER AMBIT FEE, and TO HELP YOU). I told her I had already filled a complaint with BBB and hung up. But WAIT, IT’S STILL NOT OVER…..As a single mom, I just paid $300, and have 200 more due in 3 days later, PLUS another 110 due on August 10th, I contacted SEVERAL community resource companies to get help with the bill (one of which helped me with TXU before). NONE of these community resource places would deal with AMBIT Energy. I told her I don’t blame them. I had signed a contract on July 3rd. When I signed up for that contract for a year to get cheaper rates, it said if you end your contract before the renewal date, one year later, they would charge a FEE of $199. That contract gave me 11 cents per kilowatt!!! I just checked it on line today, and AMBIT put me back on the month to month Ambit standard plan for 17 cents a kilowatt !!! So that sucks, that now they are charging me EVEN MORE and you are not allowed to change your plan until the next billing cycle. HOWEVER, now that I am not on the contract, I WILL GO BACK TO TXU OR ANYONE ELSE once I get money for another deposit. I will NEVER AGAIN SUPORT AMBIT ENERGY AND you shouldn’t either. I am a single mom and needed to save the money. But when the power gets turned off or you need help from Ambit, they don’t give a rats a**. I had TXU for years and was ALWAYS able to make arrangements, and they didn’t charge me a stupid fee!!, With TXU, my power had only been turned off once with TXU. Not even one year with Ambit and it has been turned off TWICE. TXU offers the option to pay a priority fee and I had my power was back on within 3 hours with them!!!
I may be paying more pre kilowatt, but it is worth it to get electricity, great customer service, not lied to and flat ripped off!!!
That’s all I got to say about Ambit. DON’T LET THE MONEY SAVING FOOL YOU. This GREAT DEAL is only on the outside, once you get in, they SUCK!!!

Comments

• Xy
      29th of Aug, 2009

I can relate. I rented a apartment, and I did not move in untill a mo. later and my electric bill was $307.00 and there was nothing on in the apartment. No TV, LIGHTS, absolutly nothing on. We were not even in the apartment! We had to pay the bill or they were going to shut it off!! I have never been so mad. The apartment complex even talked to Ambit and told them no one was there! They did not care!! I wish I would have gone with another company that's for sure!!

• Fr
      16th of Mar, 2010

Guys its not Ambits fault. The utility company reads the meters not Ambit. And they bill you depending on what the utility company says you used. So please stop making statements about things that you have no knowledge of.

• Po
      26th of Mar, 2010

question Why when i switched to ambit i was paying almost double where is trick?

• Le
      11th of Apr, 2010

First of all if you paid your bills you woudnt have that problem.
    Why would you expect anybody to give you something if you dont pay the bill???
    I have never had my electric or gas shut off . and would be embarresd to say so if i did.
    From reading your letter it looks like this is a common thing for you.
    You are just trying to blame someone else for your ignorance.
    They owe you nothing . No free reconnect etc, etc .
    people like you are the reason our country is in the shape it is in.
    I work hard and pay taxes so someone like you can go to some social service organaization to get them to pay for your power .
    I am sick and tiered of flipping the bill for people like you.

16th of Apr, 2010

Wow, I have been considering the Ambit business opportunity. I can't even get a consultant to call me back (3 of them). Now after reading your caustic remarks about the original poster of this thread - coming out of your face with such unprofessional comments - really makes me believe that Ambit must be a bad deal. Thanks for showing your cards. Yikes. I had money in hand and everything to sign up. Next!

• Vi
      30th of May, 2010

If you are truly interested in Ambit energy, please do your home work. I am an Ambit Consultant. I've been to the meetings and training. They do not promise you millions and they do tell you what you put into it is what you get out of it. I've read a lot of complaints about Ambit and found that if people would just do their homework they would know that Ambit is a legitimate company. If by chance you are still interested please visit my web site and give me a call. www.vickylamson.energy526.com

23rd of Jul, 2010

I am a customer of Ambit Energy and I didn't have to sign a contract. I can cancel anytime I want. As a matter of fact, as soon as Con Ed was aware that I had switched to Ambit they called me and offered me a two-year contract. They promised a lower rate, but I didn't go with them because Ambit had not asked me to sign a contract and I feel I'm free to go wherever I wish.

• Ar
      9th of Sep, 2010

Ambit Energy is a great opportunity for people looking save on their energy cost and at the same time help others save on their energy costs. Currently Ambit is the #1 Top earning company as per INC 500 Magazine. Do I need to say any more?

We just made a major announcement of expanding markets and we are now able to offer the same savings opportunity to small businesses in TX.

I can go on and on about how great Ambit Energy is. Three thumbs up .. oops sorry I only have two thumbs. :)

Find out Why does Ambit Energy Work? http://bit.ly/9F7KwR
    Save money and Join Ambit Now http://bit.ly/9Vn3kR

• Am
      15th of Jul, 2014

lets go - wow, your post makes me want to deal with Ambit even more so I can be both overcharged AND verbally abused. Our country is terrible shape because of greedy people like you who are looking for "passive income." All I can say is that you will have some serious karma coming back at you.