Air India / seat allocation & unethical behaviour

1 United Kingdom

I had a flight with my family (which consisted of myself, my wife, my 7 year old daughter and my 13 year old daughter) at 7:00am on the 6th of January 2019. I web checked in on the 4th of January around 11:30 IST. After entering personal details of all the passengers, I came to know that we had been allocated completely separate seats. Therefore, I cancelled the web check in to make sure the seperate seats hadn't been finalised. After that, I emailed Air India Customer Care at 11:44 IST stating my problem. I talked to Air India Customer Service over the phone after a 45 minute wait where they were unable to resolve my issue and instead, they kept apologising. Then they advised me to either get to the airport 4 hours before my flight or purchase paid seats. Considering my flight was at 7:00am IST, I was not going to go to the airport at 3:00am and therefore decided to get the paid seats. So on the 5th of January, I paid approximately £30 extra to get seats together thinking that I would finally be able to sit with my family as the payment was taken from my credit card. However, the next morning, at the airport, I was shocked to find that still, I had not been allocated the paid seats and so we would have to sit separately. I reached the airport at 04:30am IST, waited in the queue for 90 minutes and then at the counter, I kindly requested the member of staff to see if anything could be done about our seperate seats. My wife and I were having a conversation in which my wife said that this situation was madness considering we were travelling with two daughters under the age of 16 years. The staff member serving us said that if she was not on duty on behalf of Air India, then she would have showed us what she was capable of. I do not believe this is the way in which customers should be spoken to. Furthermore, her colleague, on the adjacent desk, already serving other customers, without knowing the whole situation, chose to interfere by telling us that if we had so many issues, we should have web checked in. Which we did, but the colleague had no right to interfere, especially when she was not even serving us. Despite all of this, we did not get seats together. I do not understand how seats booked under a single PNR can be allocated separately, particularly when there are 2 children under the age of 14 travelling.

Ja