Air Berlin / cancelled flight

My family and I were scheduled to fly from Chicago ORD to Budapest Hungary on 10-4-17 and back home again from Budapest to Chicago ORD on 10-15-17. Itinerary # [protected] and Confirmation # P33PMX. We were informed on 9-15-17 through Travelocity that our flight had been cancelled by Air Berlin. After many calls we learned that AirBerlin is not able to rebook us on another flight nor are they willing to refund our money. I find it inconceivable how you can take thousands of dollars from a consumer and decide to take away what they purchased but keep the money for it. To me that is theft. I would like my money back for not only my flights which total $2304.24 but also my protection plan which totaled $140 and my seat reservations which were another $400 resulting in a total of $2844.24. We have had to book on another airline due to your cancellation and due to the fact that we are only 2 weeks out from our travel had to spend $350 more per person to get a flight. Therefore receiving my money back for the flight you did not provide is essential.

Pa