Afni Inc. / Collecting debt that I possibly can't owe!

I received a settlement letter from these people about two weeks ago. The letter stated that it was one of the many letters sent to me about some debt with Sprint from 5 years ago. First of all, first letter I've gotten from these people. Second, I've never have had Sprint in my life, and at that time I was 15 and didn't even own a cell phone. So, I'm pretty suspicious and decide to call em. I deny that the debt is mine and some guy says it's ok... it happens a lot so they'll take my name and address out the system since they had a completely different SSN. I was glad to supposedly get that over with, but I still felt something was off. I called Sprint just to see if there was ever anything in my name, address, etc. They confirmed that they had no clue what Afni was talking about and suggested I call them back and tell em that Sprint has no records for me. So, I call em and find the guy before lied: my name was still in the system. This other more professional sounding man pretty much told me that I needed to fax them a copy of my driver's license and SSN card to prove that I'm not the person who they're supposedly looking for. That sounded a bit shady, so I looked them up and lo and behold found all these other complaints.

I sent them a certified letter saying I'm contesting the debt and want it verified that I'm the person they're looking for, etc. I also contacted the BBB and my Attorney General to give them the heads up. So time goes by and I finally get a response from them. Their "verification" is pretty much a copy of their original letter: the name of the creditor (Sprint) and the balance(369.19). However this time, they included an SSN number... too bad it's X'd out. So, they didn't comply to my request and now are stating since they responded they can collect once more. I'm pretty much at my wit's end and don't know what to do. I'm probably going to check my credit to see if they've affected it so far. But after that, I'm not sure what to do aside from perhaps sending them a final letter stating I refuse to pay them since they got the wrong person.

Comments

• Su
      20th of Jun, 2007
    Afni Inc. - They say I owe some company $387

I keep checking my credit report every month for the past 4 years. When I checked this month I saw a collection account by AFNI INC. I have no clue of this account and how it appeared.I do not know what to do now. My credit score is down by 50 points and moreover I do not whom I owe this money. I have no recollection of any bill that i did not pay.

• Wa
      17th of Sep, 2007
    Afni Inc. - Bogus collection notice on Verizon bill!

Afni just sent me a collection notice demanding payment for a telephone service account I never had with Verizon. Afni said that the bill dates back to 1987. I called Verizon and had them search through their files and they could find no evidence of ever providing service to me with the associated account information provided by Afni. When I called Afni and indicated that I was investigating this bill their representative became very hostile and refused to give me any information about the company she works for. None of this adds up and I am filing a complaint against Afni inc. with Florida's state attorneys office for fraud.

• Co
      3rd of Mar, 2008
    Afni Inc. - Fraud and scam!
    Afni Inc.
    Albany
    New York

Once again Afni has struck again. I received a notice that I have a past due Bell Atlantic bill ($263.40) for a telephone number that I never had. I have been at the same number for 20 years and Bell Atlantic have never been a provider here. To make matters worse they want you to enter the last 4 digits of your SS# when you go to their website. They don't need that information in order to pay a bill. Can we ever stop these people from ruining our credit with these fraudulent collections...

• Da
      14th of Mar, 2008
    Afni Inc. - Collection dispute!
    Afni Inc.
    New Jersey

I recently checked my credit report and it states that I owe Verizon 47.00...which I know I do not. The reports states that the bill has been sent to collection --- AFNI Inc. --- and that it has been in collection for months. The issue is that its being reported as opened in Nov 2017, which I know is not true information. I did not open an account with Verizon within the last six months easily. I am disputing it now. I have become more aware of what is on my credit report since having my personal information stolen a couple of years ago, so this raises my suspicion. When I get this issue resolved I will post the steps I took in doing so.

26th of Oct, 2008

your company has benn withdrawing $39 from my account. I dont know why but when you do you overdraw my account each time. I wish you would stop i cant afford it...

J Smith