Afni Collections / collections notice

1 Millington, TN, United States Review updated:

My ex husband received a collection notice for a cell phone that was in my name while we were married. I called them and the first answer i got was that they could not release information to me because it wasnt my debt, second phone call the rep was very pleased that I was trying to settle my debt and took a payment, the third call said the account was added to bankruptcy??? and the fourth, fifth and sixth said again that they could not release any information to me or him?

These people are absolutely nuts and their policies and responces change by the hour?????

Comments

27th of Feb, 2007
    Afni Collections - Fake collection notice

Total crap that I just received a collection notice for a phone # I have never heard of. It freaked me out until I found these other postings. I'm curious to hear what has happened with other cases. Please post notices. Seriously its $160.86; who can't pay that when some people spend that on dinner.

• Va
      1st of Mar, 2007

I too have received a collections notice from AFNI. They claim that I owe Alltel a whopping $783 from 2003! This is ridiculous! What can we do to stop these crooks! This is ruining the credit ratings of a lot of good people!

• Ry
      6th of Mar, 2007

Wow, I googled this company because I've gotten two collections notices from them from bills I have never heard of. Im disgusted.

• Ci
      6th of Mar, 2007

I just received a collections letter from Afni today also saying I owe 1354.00 to Verizon. I have never had a verizon account. I am hoping someone can tell me the steps to take to resolve this. Thanks so much.

• Kr
      16th of Mar, 2007

I just received a letter from this company today. Neither my husband nor myself have a cell phone besides a pay as you go. The letter says we owe alltell 117.51. Odd since we never had a cell phone other than pay as you go. Not to mention my name was misspelled. Now what do I do?

• Mo
      20th of Mar, 2007

We had the same thing happen to us. Afni sent us a collection notice for a verizon bill for 397.00 from over ten years ago! Could get no satisfaction from this ripoff company so contacted the Better Business Bureau on the internet! Low and behold when the BBB contacted Afni the company closed the account! Everyone needs to contact the BBB and or their state attorney general and let them no of this. Maybe they can be stopped from ever harassing anyone else! Good Luck!

• Me
      31st of Mar, 2007

I received a notice from Afni, Inc. on Monday stated that I owed them over $1000 for a Verizon Maryland, Inc. account. That's funny considering that I've never had an account with Verizon. I called and actually talked to a nice person who kept apologizing and telling me she understood (she must have been new). She looked up the account and gave me the address that it was associated with and I had never heard of it. She said that it was active between 2000-2001. That's also funny because at the time that this "account" was created I was a minor living at home with my parents! She said that I needed to provide documentation that I didn't live at that address at that time. I immediately called my dad and he told me to check my credit reports. I checked the TransUnion one and it was not on there. However, they had accessed my report without my knowledge. I was not able to get the Equifax report online. I hadn't written the original address associated with the account down so I called Afni back. This time I got a stubborn SOB who adamantly and rudely insisted that I SHOULD NOT send them a letter, I should go online and file a fraud report. I went online while still on the phone and did not want to go further since it required the last four digits of my SSN. I told him I would not be putting in my SSN and he said they already had it. I had him verify the number and he would only give me the last four (which is probably all they really have) and it was the same. I punched it in and was sent to a screen to start payment. There was no fraud department that was easily accessible online. I found several complaints about them by doing a simple google search for AFNI. I have since put a fraud alert on my credit reports, filed a report with the FTC and the BBB, and I filed a police report (however I filed the report at about 10pm and when I went to print it out the next morning it was already marked as an inactive case). I sent them a letter registered mail RRR demanding that they validate the debt and informing them of the steps I have already taken. I am getting ready to file complaints with the attorney generals in NC, MD, and IL if they respond unfavorably and I encourage everyone to do the same.

• Sh
      11th of Apr, 2007

My husband just received a letter from AFNI trying to collect a debt for Verizon Maryland for $271.40 from 10 years ago. Totally ridiculous! Since the time AFNI "claims" the debt went unpaid, my husband has held 3 residential phone accounts and a wireless account. Do you seriously think that Verizon would give him an account with a delinquent account? No.

I was sick and paid my verizon bill at the 31 day mark, and they reported it to my credit. I seriously doubt that an unpaid bill is going 10 years with out being reported.

I too am going to contact the BBB and State Attorney General's office, as well as contact the three credit report agencies!

Good luck everyone!

• Je
      24th of Apr, 2007

Actualy they would allow to still get a phone line. Because

a) you could live in a minimum pay state where it does not effect it...
    b) that could explain why it was reported on day 31 couldn't it?

• Fa
      10th of May, 2007

I started receiving collection notices from Afni in January for an Altell Bill dating back to 1999! I refuse to pay this because I believe it is fraudulent. It is only a mere $31.24 compared to others I see that are close to $1000. I still refuse to pay it. I called Altell and they do not even have a record of my having a bill with them at any time. I thought that I did at one time, but Altel insists that my name or SS number is not in their system. I am very frustrated by the whole ordeal. I am sending AFNI a rebuttal (certified) letter to request that stop contacting me unless they can prove that I actually owe the $. This, by the way is not showing up on my credit report because they do not have my SS#! IT IS NOT MY BILL!

31st of May, 2007

I just received a notice from AFNI that stated I owed them 1116.96 to a landline phone with Verizon out of New York. Funny thing is I have never lived in New York and have never done business with Verizon ever. SO I went to the FTC website, My local Attorney Generals office website and to the BBB in Ilinois. Something needs to be done about these people. Nothing was reported on my credit report however they did view my information. It's really creepy about how many people have read my information.

20th of Jun, 2007

Just got my Afni, Inc. collection notice for my husband for about $172 he supposedly didn't pay in January of 1993 in NY. I got in touch with the FTC and submitted a complaint. Also, there's a great form letter you can get online here: http://www.expertlaw.com/library/consumer/fair_debt_collection.html#8.

Also, call your state consumer affairs dept. Afni told me there is NO statute of limitations in NY or CA but there is. A phone agreement has a four year limit in the state of California under CCP 337.

Do a little research and ZING THEM. This is a load.

25th of Jun, 2007

Received notice that I owe $88.25 for old phone bill. I have confirmed with Verizon this is not true (although i knew that already). I am concerned they will affect my credit. Please help.

• La
      25th of Jun, 2007

Received letter from afni in regards to a verizon bill. In trying to prevent them from ruining my credit, I made the worst mistake of making a payment arrangement via my checking account. When the ach payment was withdrawn from my account, a higher amount was taken. I called and a representative argued that it was the amount that I agreed to pay, per notes in their system. I contacted my bank and placed a block on my account so that no more money could be withdrawn. Well, when i pulled my credit reports today there was a collection account for a$306.00 t-mobile phone bill. I never received any letter for a t-mobile account. I mailed a certified letter "rrr" to afni to validate this account. Who do owe? Verizon or t-mobile?

7th of Jul, 2007

I am in the process of disputing an alleged 9-year old bill with Afni that claims I owe $600+ to Verizon. I'm happy to share a letter drafted in consultation with legal counsel. Afni is a company that purchases old debts for pennies on the dollar and makes attempts to resurrect and capitalize on the debts themselves by sending new invoices for payment. You won't see the debt on your credit report, but once you pay - even a minimum "good faith" payment, it goes on your credit report. Demand debt validation through a written request within 30 days of receiving the letter (send it to their corporate headquarters... not a PO Box... and send it certified receipt mail). Check the statute of limitations on the debt you allegedly have. Also, I'm a strong advocate of LifeLock. For $10/month, you can "lock" your SSN and your credit cannot be accessed without your consent or knowledge.

• Ka
      10th of Jul, 2007

I have received a phone collections... like everybody else... Some Pennsylvania verizon bill... I have no clue who's number that is but it sure is not mine... nor is it any I have ever had???

After reading the posts here the only people I will be calling is my attorney and I will be sending a letter to all three credit agencies to warn them about these criminals... Ugh... It's always something... We need to band together and stop this scam...

Karen

• Se
      22nd of Jul, 2007

There was an account opened illegally in my name back when I was a minor child with Verizon local. I eventually found out when trying for a phone in my name. I proved to Verizon that it was indeed fraud and have had service with them for years since. They sold it!- An investigated, fraudulent account to AFNI and gave them everything from my birthdate, social, and current address. AFNI are a bunch of SOBs and I actually had a guy there tell me that statue of limitations (6 years in NY) made not a bit of difference to them. (This was almost a decade ago, mind you ) Asked me for my bc too. They are trying to collect on this debt from me. I was a child and did not even reside at the address on file! When confronted with this, AFNI guy's response: Well, I've seen accounts from minors before Ma'am. They need to be paid. Then he offered me ways to pay it. I laughed incredible at this, of course.

Needless to say, I will be taking further action on both points.

1st of Aug, 2007

I am so grateful to find that I am not the only one who finds this company a scam... After trying to talk this out with AFni over the past several days, waiting 30 minutes on hold to do so, I feel totally beat down. I do not believe this debt they "bought" from Verizon to be valid since I haven't moved or changed Phone numbers in 23 years. I think possibly when you leave Verizon for another company your name is submitted to a "Black List" and the way they get even with you is to sick Afni on you. So far neither Verizon nor Afni can prove the validity of my debt.

• Lu
      14th of Aug, 2007

I received a collection letter from a collection agency regarding a Verizon bill for $989.00 for an over due balance they say was incurred 12 years ago. This agency AFNI located in Bloomington IL just bought this account last month from Verizon. Unfortunately Verizon never contacted me about this before I would have dealt with this issue right away and cleared my good name. Instead I received a collection notice 12 years after the supposed incident. Isn't there some sort of statue of limitations for a balance dispute? Why didn't Verizon contact me sooner? Afni located in Bloomington IL stated that i owe this money because Verizon said so. Although I don't dispute having knowledge of the address, because i my mother and my sister live but i was not living there at the time of the alleged incident because I moved out 3 years before. I am also disputing the tel # they state was open 718 562 1805. I as recall living in Manhattan, the area code is 212 in 1809 3rd ave not 718. This information is misleading and confusing to me. Please be mindful that as i am trying to convey this info to the collection rep (Matt). he stated "that no matter how i dispute my case i will still [censored]NG OWE THE AMOUNT TO AFNI". I asked to speak to a mngr he sd none available. I apologize for the insert of bad language but i need specially express what has transpired with this matter as i am trying to resolve this issue. After 12 years I've had several different telephone services with Verizon, from land lines to cell phones & in two different states NY & NJ and yet Verizon never bought this outstanding amount to my attention. I did not make the calls that incurred this amount despite my name & ss# being used for this land line. Is it right for Verizon to never notify you about a bill under your name and then give it to a collection agency to contact me 12 years later??? Please help me smb. I will go all the way with my complaint. I 'll will keep you posted.

19th of Sep, 2007

I also have received a letter from a land line that was never mind, from 11 years ago! If anyone is attempting a class action, count me in!!!