ADT / scary incompetent operation

1 Van Nuys, CA, United States Review updated:

We recently had ADT installed. We have not used our alarm, have never put in armed mode and have not even picked out a security code for alarm box panel. Today at approx. 8:30 AM two fire trucks, an ambulance and the police arrived outside our house. Just as the fireman were about to crash through our gate, I came out - in my bathrobe - to stop them. Neighbors gathered while I had to explain to numerous authorities that nothing was wrong and that our alarm wasn't even armed. After waiting on phone for about 20 minutes to get through to a live operator at ADT, we were finally connected to an ADT employee who suggested it was our fault that this had happened. This incident was clearly a major glitch on ADT's part for which they have no apology. Are we now to expect a bill from the fire dept and police for for responding to five alarm emergency at our house? We are finished with ADT and I emailed them to cancel our contract. I worry that this may not be so easy to do.

Comments

• Ji
      3rd of Jun, 2009

An issue with RANDOM odd problems usually is a bad CONTROL battery, have your Alarm's Service Department replace IT.Do not use any old battery !!
    Try to use the same brand/type of battery if you must change it yourself...

28th of Jul, 2010

ADT Security is a joke! And a ripoff too!
    I know because I worked for them for almost 2 years as a commercial and residential service engineer in Arizona.
    I designed, installed and tested technical security systems at US embassies and consulates before I retired from the USG and went to work for ADT. I am an electronic engineer and had specialized USG training in all aspects of technical security. I did military communications systems engineering for 23 years prior to working in security.
    When ADT hired me, they promised 30 days of training and I got nothing! They also said I would earn $75k but it was less than half that amount. And ADT managers, who knew nothing about security, expected and demanded that service personnel do at least 7 service calls per day, regardless of the complexity of the problem. Service crews were sent out with no parts and often had to call other service personnel to see if they were nearby and had the part needed.

ADT installs alarm systems that do not work and when a burglary does happen, they tell the customer ADT is not liable since the customer did not test his alarm system monthly as they are supposed to do.
    Most homeowners would not even know if their system was communicating or not with ADTs monitors (they either have a communication link over a telephone circuit or a wireless connection via a cell radio transmitter). I personally saw situations where the system was installed and not working properly and the customer had been paying for months or up to a year without knowing it.
    Yet despite all the shortcomings, ADT sees fit to charge $30-40 a month for a false sense of security - it's all about profit and little to do with customer service and satisfaction.
    And ADT has no installation standards, installer training, or spare parts on service trucks. I was sent to one customer’s home which was about a 1 hour ride away; when I arrived he needed a few standard 1.5 volt batteries and I had none on my truck. I had to drive to the nearest Ace hardware and buy them using my own money. At other residences, I found the heavy alarm panel mounted with only drywall screws (it was falling off the wall), exposed conductors on wires, panels installed upside down, and sensors that had been installed days ago falling off.
    ADT sales reps know little about security principles and how to design a proper alarm system. They advertize the $99 special, which is OK for a studio apartment at best, and then use the bait and switch scam to get the customer to shell out $1000 or more for an “expanded” home alarm system. Sales reps are out to maximize the total sale dollar amount since they get paid on commission.
    And ADT will take over any system ever installed by anyone else, as long as the customer pays the $30-40 monthly fee. Then ADT will not have trained personnel or parts to support these odd ball systems when they do fail.
    Buyer beware! It is a known fact that a big guard dog is a better deterrent for burglary! And keep in mind that a critical factor for any alarm system is the time it takes for police to respond to the alarm– if you are in a remote location and it takes 30 minutes for police to get there, burglars have this much time to crash and grab.