ADT Security Services / charges for services sold as included

I received an invoice today # [protected] in the amount of $12.83. When this system was installed I was informed by the technician that I would be able to look on the internet and see which user number had accessed the alarm system enabling it or disabling it and on what date and time. He said this was an optional service that was included with my monthly ADT fee.

On Feb 26, 2009 I called and asked about how to enable this feature and the person I spoke with on the phone led me through the procedure for enrolling on the internet. He said a technician would stop by and would activate the feature on my keypad at no charge as it would only take 5 minutes. The technician showed up about ten minutes later and I was surprised to see him. He said it would just take a minute to activate the feature and he was in the area.

I asked him if there were any charges for this feature. He said that the only time there would be a charge would be when I actually got on the internet and used the feature. He said that then there would be a one time charge each time I actually used the feature. He also said that if I did not look it up on the internet I could call in and the representative on the phone could give me the information I need verbally at no charge. He said to call the local office to verify this. I called the local office and had a hell of a time getting past the recorded options menu to speak with a live representative. The person I spoke to was not sure about the charges and said she would have someone call me back.

Someone called me yesterday and informed me that there was a monthly charge of $11.00 to have this feature, whether or not I used it. I told him that the technician told me that it was included in my monthly monitoring fee. He said the technician was wrong.

I told him that if it involved a fee of $11.00 per month for a service that I would very seldom use then I did not want it. He said no problem that he would cancel the service immediately. He did not say anything about having to send anything to anyone in writing..

I spoke to another billing representative when I received this invoice today, who said that If I wanted to have the service canceled that I had to mail or fax a letter to you saying so. I asked about having the charges removed as I was not informed about this monthly charge and had never used the service. She refused. I told her that if she refused to remove the charges of which I had never been informed then I would do the same and refuse to pay the invoice. That is where we stand today.

It is very unprofessional of a company as large as TYCO/ADT to basically trick a customer into signing up for a service under the premise that it is free only to tell him after the service is activated that there is a monthly charge. Yes we are all having financial difficulties at this time due to the economy but this is a very low and cheap way of increasing your revenue.

Ro

Comments

• Ps
      12th of Mar, 2009

This type of thing is happening all over with several companies, just keep in mind that at this point in time NOTHING is free and read the fine print before signing any agreement.

• Am
      25th of Oct, 2009

I agree, I worked for ADT in the call center in Jacksonville FL making outbound calls then inbound calls. Its horrible that the techs AND sales people are doing this. Its true that you should always read the fine print...but you should expect ADT to let you know these things so you develop better customer trust in the company. They didn't train us in everything as we were just the monitoring center but they did give us the means to get you to someone to speak about it. Local offices are open 8-5pm monday thru friday and get so many calls you would be lucky to get a call back if you leave a message-As an inbound rep I tried several times to contact the offices and would get lost in the options that I'd end up back at my department with someone basically sitting next to me on the other end. Many of the people you speak with when you call are new and have only worked there for a few months, in one case a friend of mine was on the floor for not even a week before he was promoted with me to inbound calls because of his call stats that week. They need people on inbound and will sacrifice quality service for it. I've heard almost everything from customers calling in, and most of the irate calls are repeat calls because they didn't get helped the first time around. Whenever you call its very unlikely you will get the same person again, so the best advise I can give you is to call several times about the same issue, you will prob get different responses 6 out of 10 times. That's mainly because they don't teach us properly in training and we are only trained for one week before we start taking these calls. Most of it is BS with a lil truth, if you want results get a supervisor or manager to get you to their manager. Those people have been there for years and know the ends and outs of the system. Its good to ask questions and better to get second opinions, don't just rely on what your told unless you truly trust the people or company telling you. Needless to say I got tired of trying to cover for tech mistakes and the company's poor quality control over what they are telling the customers, that i just stopped going to work. I'd try my best to help those that I could. And not everyone there is the same.

• Li
      10th of Feb, 2011

South Carolina Residents can be assured of our commitment to honesty and service. Please visit http://1stpriorityalarm.com where Protecting You and Your Family is Our First Priority