ABSA Bank / unprofessional staff

Stellenbosch, South Africa

I had one of the most distasteful experience as a customer this morning from one of your bank's uncouth staff. There was an issue I had while withdrawing on the 9th of June, 2017 because I mistakenly forgot to take the cash the ATM had dispensed at the Stellenbosch Student Centre branch. I called the helpline and was courteously referred to visit my branch to lodge my complaint so that my case can be looked into. Upon visiting the Stellenbosch University Student branch on the 10th of June, 2017, I met a lady at the Customer Service Desk and explained the situation. She checked her system and adamantly mentioned that there was nothing that could be done because the ATM states that I received the cash. I tried to persuade her to kindly lodge a complaint so it can be looked into, mentioning that this could be a fraud case. She responded in the most unprofessional way, telling me in her words that "I lacked focus that is why I forgot to pick my cash and that I should go and read my terms and conditions that was given to me when I was signing up for the account" .

This response obviously lacks emotional intelligence and it's very disappointing. I even mentioned to her that it's not in her place to tell me that I lacked focus because at that time she had no idea what I was going through. I am very displeased.

Even if the funds cannot be gotten, there are more sophisticated ways to talk to customers. I am equally a professional banker from Nigeria for four years and would never speak to a client like that because they are the reason why we are in business.

ABSA please train your staff on emotional intelligence and courtesy. This is indeed sad for an acclaimed "SA's best bank in service excellence" . What I have experienced so far is the absolute opposite.

Thanks.