53 Bank / rip off

1 Kettering, OH, United States Review updated:

We have been with fifth third bank for over six years. Last week we deposited several thousand in our account with our tax return check. this was on saturday. on tuesday i discovered we had been charged $270 in overdraft fees..for what??? On wednesday i went to the bank only to discover another overdraft fee of $370. The bank claims that on Friday we overdrew $2.00 on our account. When asked about these fees we got no answer. We deposited thousands on saturday. We then called corporate and were told our check did not clear until tuesday. well according to my online statement, my available daily balance on monday was over $3000.00. They claim they cannot divide the money online to show money available and money pending. well that is misleading and fraud. How can you charge me over $600 in fees for a supposed $2.00 overdraw??? that money was needed to pay off bills and keep our family going and they screwed us. I have since contacted the BBB, and I have also contacted a news station who deals with money matters. Both are contacting the bank. i will not stop until i get this money back.

Comments

• Ve
      6th of Jul, 2009

these jerks are NOTORIOUS for doing that crap. they don't know how to invest so they steal from their customers to pad the bottom line.

• Tr
      22nd of Oct, 2010

I have the same problem with 53 Bank They suck big time i am paying 800.00 in overdraft when it showed the money available to..so pissed

• Wi
      17th of Dec, 2010

they just let anyone take money out of your account then hit you with overdraft this is the forth time this happen iam going to pnc

• Ge
      5th of Mar, 2011

You are all [censor]s who cannot manage a checking account

• Ca
      18th of Jul, 2012

I have had this same problem with 53. They show available and pending, but the numbers are incorrect. They charge hefty fees based on this incorrect online information. When confronted, they Corporate office claims that the online statements are not accurate and should not be used for decisions on spending. When confronted at our local branch in Columbus, Indiana they claim that they must call the Corporate office and will call back and never do. That is that, I am changing to a credit union.