1and1.com / bad dedicated servers

We have 2 dedicated servers with 1and1, and one of our partners also has a server with them. We had trouble with 1and1 in the past and now our partner has had the same thing happen to them.

Although 1and1 "claims" 99.9% uptime, their tech support and response time is PATHETIC for a company of their size. We had a case where one of our servers was off line do to a Microsoft update installation. We were unable to access it with Remote Desktop. At first, trying to call the tech support phone number (the only way to get support because they have no online ticketing system) yielded no answer! The phone just rang and rang. After several hours I finally got through.

After dealing with the agent for about 30 minutes, he finally "escalated to the datacenter techs". They were to "send me an email when it was back online".

5 hours later and 10 more phone calls we still had absolutely no answer. We were not allowed to talk to the datacenter techs directly, and the agent said we would be back online within 24 hours!

Eventually I was able to resolve the problem myself by shelling in and terminating the installation that was running and preventing access to Remote Desktop. And I NEVER got any response from 1and1 afterwards.

A similar thing happened to us again about a month later in which we were offline due to a "technical problem" in their datacenter and again we had absolutely no response for hours from them. After almost 6 hours wer came back online.

Now our partner has been offline for almost 24 hours due to a "switch problem in their rack". They again get no answer from 1and1 other than "you need to wait until the techs contact you". (Which they never do!)

This has nearly caused our business to lose all our customers, as they depend on 99.9% uptime. Any more than 30 minutes offline really effects our customers. If your service is like ours, be aware that if you ever have a major problem with 1and1 and don't have a backup in another datacenter, you may be in SERIOUS trouble,

Va

Comments

14th of Jun, 2008

I am in the process of cancelling my business pkg with 1and1. We'll see how long it takes. 1and1 can claim my sites are up 99.9% of the time because they are visible to the world, but the continual "internal server errors" sabotaged me.

I'm not a major geek so there was nothing fancy - features 1and1 provided, so they should have been compatible. Each HTTP 500 error meant photo galleries disappeared and with them contact and registration forms. There isn't a good time for that to happen, certainly not a good thing to happen Every Day.

Of course I couldn't edit the site at those times or download data from the forms. These episodes might be for a day or for 30 minutes - totally random. The last time I reported it their answer was they couldn't find anything wrong. I was instructed to wait until it happened three more times and provide specific information. ... the same information I'd been reporting.

There's no point reliving the service aspect. When it becomes unusual to go 24 hours without a problem it's time to move on.

Chris O

16th of Jun, 2008

1and1.com - STAY AWAY!!! my exchange accounts have been offline for almost 4 DAYS NOW! i will be moving to a different company very soon!

• Lo
      6th of Aug, 2008

1and1.com has been one of the worst hosting companies I've worked with. I'm going to stick with godaddy.com

1and1 has the worst tech support, and their customer service was unbelievable.

• Co
      14th of Sep, 2008

I have an internet marketing business online and went to check my site the other day...no website online, so i checked my domain name which is also through 1and1, my domain names are all gone...I called their oh so helpful tech support, she says it appears your domain names were set to "turn off auto renewal" and they have recently expired. I said why would i turn off the renewal for my business domain names, I never did it. She says, well it wasnt us and you can pay us $40 US to get it back...but it'll take 5 or 6 days to do so. Well i got on the phone with the supervisor, he was worse than the tech support. I said I have many domains and hosting with you for many web clients, please waive the $40 fee that wasn't my doing in the 1st place, and told him i would be taking my business and my clients business elsewhere...he did NOT give a damn, said "go ahead, do whatever you want".

I'll be SO happy to find another hosting and domain business that actually appreciates their clients and customers.
    I would NOT recommend 1and1 to anyone, i've been with them for years will be moving asap!