1and1.com / refused to cancel/delete my account then sent me to collections.

I recently used 1and1.com to purchase around 60 domains. After 10 months I realized that 1and1.com is a scam and essentially tries to suck secretly charge customers these renewal fees. I took the appropriate steps to try and cancel. First I tried canceling online but received (and still receive) a server error. Next I called numerous time... no luck. Then I began emailing them so that it would be in writing and they still refused to delete my account from their system. After 2 months of bothering them to delete me, I finally was forced to get a new debit card to ensure they could not charge me.

Fast forward to 10 months later. I just received almost 60 letters in the mail from the collections agency stating that I owe 1and1 all of these renewal fees... a letter for each domain.

I am now disputing this, but this whole ordeal and the hassle involved with keeping track of 60 disputes is sickening, meanwhile I'm deeply worried that my credit score will be destroyed.

1and1.com needs to be investigated and shutdown for their business practices. They take advantage of their customers and bully them around with collections agencies if you don't comply.

Comments

• Ed
      8th of Aug, 2010

I have been harassed by 1and1.com for 8 months - they keep charging my credit card after I canceled all their accounts 8 months ago. I canceled them by Internet and by writing them physical letters. I can't believe customers are helpless to shut down this dishonest business after so many complaints on them. They impudently keep on ripping people off and nobody can't do anything about it?
    I am going to write to all organizations now until I get some answers that these criminals are stopped.
    It is a crime to impose your service on a customer keep charging their credit card and keep harassing them with the bills after cancellation.
    Educator, CA

• Th
      4th of May, 2012

I am sorry to read this,

I could not agree more though. 1and1 have now crossed me as well. I will not rest until they are finished for destroying so many people. I have been caught on their free trial package. I did not even know how i was entered for it. I have an existing domain with them and believe I may have accepted a free trial from a telephone conversation with a sales rep based in the USA who started the conversation asking me how everything was! I thought it was a customer care call! What a fool I feel I have been. White collared theft is what I call it. As bad as burglars. Since when can money be taken without a signed contract and a cooling of period.

Regards

The Cat

• 0 Votes

Truly the most unethical behavior I have dealt with from a single company, ever. They do everything they can to steal from people and even sell personal information to third parties without authorization. They can somehow reestablish payment agreements with PayPal after they're canceled and refuse to allow you access to your account information, such as past invoices. I'm nauseated over how long this has been going on and yet they still are allowed to do business. It's unacceptable.