Having problems with Commerce Bank?

+1 855 659 1656 (Customer Service)
+1 800 453 2265 (Account Information)
+1 800 986 2265 (Online Banking And Bill Pay)
+1 844 782 7206 (Mobile Banking)
+1 800 772 7283 (Commerce Brokerage Services)
+1 800 641 2265 (Personal Accounts & Services)
+1 800 449 9829 (Personal Loans And Home Equity Lines Of Credit)
+1 866 658 9333 (Personal Loan Web Payments)
+1 800 903 3210 (Mortgages - New Loans)
+1 800 821 0083 (Mortgages - Existing Loans)
+1 800 666 3910 (Student Loans)
+1 888 373 2883 (MySpending Card)
+1 800 617 7480 (Debit Card)
+1 800 645 2103 (Consumer Credit Card)
+1 877 605 7490 (The Commerce Trust Company)
+1 866 365 9346 (Small Business Checking)
+1 800 548 2663 (Capital Markets)
+1 800 207 0886 (Treasury Services & Commerce Connections)
+1 800 892 7104 (Commercial & Corporate Cards)
+1 800 892 7100 (International Services)
+1 800 828 1629 (Merchant Services)
1000 Walnut St.

Deposit / Savings Accounts / Chexsystem
PO Box 419248, Mailstop: KCREC-10, Kansas City, MO 64141-6248

1st Mortgage Loans - Commerce Bank Mortgage
922 Walnut, Suite 1100, Mailstop: T811-cm3, Kansas City, MO 64106

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Commerce Bank.

Complaints & Reviews

Commerce BankPersonal banking

The bank completely mismanaged my account and allowed all my money to be stolen twice on two different continents while traveling. Once leaving me homeless because my credit card wouldnt work and i had $0. They then accused me of stealing my own money. When they realized I hadnt they didnt even give me enough respect to tell me how it resolved. Traumatic and horrendous experience. I have considered legal action and still am considering legal action against this bank. This was 3 years ago and the bank has never contacted me to even tell me if my money was returned to me. They locked me out of online banking so I have no idea what's happening with my account.

Commerce Bankinsufficient funds charge

I am upset with the most recent insufficient funds charge that I received on my account due to a debit from my sole account to my savings account. I had enough money in the account for my rent to be paid until this debit from the bank sent me into the negative. I just had the debiting action removed, but I now have negative balance in my account when I actually had all the funds available.

Dec 23, 2019

Commerce Bank — visa rewards program

On 11-26-19 I redeemed 4000 Visa Rewards for 2/$25 retail gift cards. On 12-6-19 I received an email from...

Jul 05, 2019

Commerce Bank — racial profiling

people are right not only is the service nasty and rude they are prejudice as well along with Customer...

Jan 27, 2019

Commerce Bank — abuse of power in the security department

We have been customers here for 15+ years. Soon we will be pulling our service from this bank. 3 MONTHS ago...

Jan 02, 2019

Commerce Bank — small business online banking

I am a small business account holder with Commerce Bank, and my account was closed in November of 2018 as the...

Jul 05, 2018

Commerce Bank — fees and surcharges

I have been a customer for over 30 years and my kids and I all have accounts at Commerce. I did not know that...

Commerce Bankwelcome to 1935

Meine Frau und ich haben versucht, ein Konto zu eröffnen. Wir schrieben der Vertrag ein Konto für meine Frau zu öffnen war, aber ich weiß nicht, und sie hat mich gebeten, mehr Papiere und bereits gesendet, was sie für 4 Monate gefragt und liegen blieb. Schließlich ging ich zur Bank und wurde von der Antwort überrascht (du bist nicht europäisch sind) i give up but its very disappointed .is this real ¡¡¡¡¡¡

Commerce Bank — Overdraft fees

A few days ago, I had my federal return go through (assuming past the stroke of midnight). I also had a my...

Olathe

Commerce Bankexcessive overdraft fees

Why is it that the banks are still chargeing overdraft fees when there is a lawsuit pending for this very same complaint. The bank even charges when you have items in dispute. Is this legal?

• Sh
            Shannon36535 Jan 05, 2011

The only time it illegal is if your charge is less than 5.00 and it is only 1 time. you cant just go out and spend money you dont have without reprocutions.

• Ba
            Banks are shady Jan 08, 2011

You all are like robots. The same things come out of your mouths, saying, "Don't spend money you don't have." Most people don't, it's very difficult to determine if you have money when the banks manipulate when the charges actually come out of your account. Say, for instance, I had a balance of $94.58 on 1-5-11. I purchased Subway 1-4-11 for $7.07, Fazoli's 1-5-11 for $7.60 and Gas 1-6-11 for $20.01. All of these charges were on my online statement 1-6-11, BUT not in the right order. They were largest to smallest...Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure I went to Subway 2 days before getting gas, and Fazoli's 1 day before getting gas...STRANGE, all 3 show up on 1-6-11 in completely opposite order of when they were purchased!!! Nevermind 1-2 days later. Still, my balance as of 11:45pm according to the online bank site was $59.90. Great, now, the kicker, no other charges were on the site, showing I had POSITIVE BALANCE with NO**** Pending transactions! O wait, low and behold, a surprise charge showed up on 1-7-11 for $189.00. But wait a second, the charge is NOW on 1-6-11, and not only that, it is number 1 in line BEFORE the $20.01 charge and the other lesser charges. WHERE WAS THIS SECRET CHARGE ON 1-6-11??!!! IT WASN'T! It posted after midnight according to the statement online. So now I have an overdraft, O Wait, not one BUT 4!!! How is this possible??? Well, like you jack---es, I shouldn't spend money I don't have. Ok, fair enough, I'll take one overdraft for the $189.00 charge since it technically posted on 1-7-11. My fault, I'll accept responsiblity, but I DON'T DESERVE 4. All 3 of the charges were before the $189.00 charge, therefore, the overdraft should only be on the one CHARGE of $189.00. Now, I ask all you perfect people that never have anything like this happen, does this sound fair or do you have some STUPID STATEMENT of how "I" messed up and should receive 4 OD's???? I hope the banks take every dime of you heartless, nieve, perfect bankers.

• Po
            Poor Rich Jan 08, 2011

Banks are shady, why don't you keep a record of your transactions in your checkbook registry? Then there would be no "surprise "withdrawals from your account. Good records are very important!

• Sh
            Shannon36535 Jan 17, 2011

I learned math in 1st and 2nd grade. I usually can add up what I spend and figure out IF I HAVE MONEY.

Commerce Bank — Bill Pay

My husband and I have been going through hell with this bank. We have had nothing but problems starting from...

Commerce Bankpoor awful CS

They open a checking account that can go negative under the situation that I don't know. And charge me for 25-30 d per overdraft. When I want to complaint about this, I experience the awful customer service. When I call them the woman just be in convulsions at the time of she pick up my phone. After I expain what I thinking about this about they should tell me by phone that my accout went negative and will charge extra fees. they just tell me it's your own business. They don't have enought time to tell me. but why they have enough time to tell me their free poor customer service. I will never use the poor bank. No more!

Commerce Bankbad customer service

The manager at the Commerce Bank at the rainbow location is completely rude!
            I was charged for the overcharge fees for a withdraw, and I had $20, 000 balance at the bank at that time. Moreover that is a withdraw my wife made for $500, and she deposited the withdraw into her account at the same commerce bank location immediately.
            Isn't that rediculous??????????? And no one told her about the overcharge fee when she made it.
            When I came back to talk with the so called "manager" at this location, the fat lady was very impatient and said the overcharge is justified and she was even irritated. When I asked to speak with another personal banker, she told me that she is the manager and without her permission that banker cannot help me at all!

I said thank you and left.

Commerce BankInvalid NSF Fees

Recently I had a horrible experience with my bank (Commerce Bank). I have been banking with Commerce Bank since I was 16 years old. I have never once overdrawn my account. I was charged overdraft fees for a charge I did not make. On 10/17 I made a total purchase for $150 at a business. I authorized a tip of $25 on a purchase that was for $125. That was the purchase that I made. To be clear it was $150 total. My running balance was fine and always remains at or above $100. I noticed my balance was $125 off where it should have been. I realized that there was an additional charge of $125 for the business on 10/19. I called the business furious that they charged me twice. They explained to me that they had not charged me twice and referred me to my bank. So I called the bank and was told that the charge was because the original transaction was for $125 and that was what was authorized, so it had to sit in pending transactions. What I don’t understand is the $125 was the authorized transaction and is included in the $150 how can they capture an additional $125. How can they take that extra $125 from my running balance? How is it legal to create an imaginary charge and then charge me overdraft fees for it? They said that it would drop off in a couple days, but I insisted that it be removed as it was not a valid charge. The next day I noticed the overdraft fees on my account for a charge that this bank created. When I called to speak to a rep she was condescending and unhelpful. She wasn’t even listening to what I was saying. She then tried to sell me overdraft protection as a solution to a problem that the bank created. I do not need overdraft protection because I do not over withdrawal my account. Then she transferred me to no one. She said she was going to transfer me to another department but really she disconnected the call. I admit I wasn’t being nice because I was angry and I was not being heard. I called my branch and had the fees waived "as a one time courtesy". Why should it be a one time courtesy when I never overdrew my account? No one was willing to admit that it was a bank error. I want an admission that this was not my error and that I did not overdraw my account because I didn’t. It is not fair and I am certain that it is not legal that for a bank to add duplicate charges to a loyal customer’s accounts.

• Ba
                  bagook Nov 01, 2009

I made a $1.00 online debit fee payable to the U S Postal to change my address using a Bank of America debit card. I had a very low balance as a result of the montlhy service charge being deducted a few days before. For some reason the Postal fee of $1.00 was charged 2 times and posted as an overdrawn transaction. Therefore, I was charged $39.95 2 times for each $1.00 debit ( 1 being in error ). Aditionally, I had $17.00 in the savings account as a result of the put- the- change in savings on uneven dollar debit s. The bank informed me that I did not have overdraft protection and would have to pay the $79.90 fee on a $2.00 debit. The fact that I had money in an account that I had not set up, and that they moved funds from my primary acct that created the negative balance was not considered. I have refused to pay the fees and this has been sent to collections...I told them the same thing...I ain't paying a cent on this scam...send it to whoever you want...this is terrible for a consumer to have to go through this type of treatment. Solution...close all of the banks down and go back to cigarboxes.

Commerce BankOpen Account

I agree, Commerce Bank is rude and does not care about the customer's time or their needs. For those of you who live in the Kansas City, MO area near the Plaza, you will know which branch I am speaking about. There are actually two branches, but I will not name the one I went to to protect my own privacy. I went to the bank today in order to switch accounts from yet another bank that was unwilling to assist me. I ended up not doing business with Commerce but another bank. Unfortunately, my previous bank decided to assist me when they learned that I was going to be closing out my account, but only after the fact!! What's wrong with this town! I spoke with a personal banker, or financial services representative as her nameplate stated. After 45 minutes of talk about what services, how to make a switch, we discussed previously issues of mine about being in Cheksystems, over 10 years ago and other bank related issues. I even called their call center to confirm that Commerce would accept me as a customer since I was no longer in Cheksystems. The call center representative stated yes, just to go to one of the main branches and speak with someone there.

If you ever been on the "Plaza" and it is a Monday afternoon, and you are a minority, you may just get a small whiff of prejudice in the air and can just feel the pretentious...er, I mean the love in the air...yeah right. Yes, I was suppose to be at work myself, so sue me. Even from the bank representatives I felt this from. I would like to say, Excuse me, miss, just because I don't have on business suit right now, I own several and look better than you in mine and I also work in customer/financial services, don't act like you are better than me! She took my driver's license and ran my information. I could feel several glances as I sat with my back to the main lobby of the bank. Maybe it was better that way, probably if I look at someone in which they thought it was the wrong way, they may have thought I was planning a strategic way to rob them. Whatever, I'm the type that I rather go homeless before I do anything of the sort, because I have full belief in karma, it is a witch and will come back to get you. At least it didn't take her that long to come back though. "Since you were in our system before and had an account with us, even though you paid us back when you where in Cheksystems, you are in "DNR" status with us." "DNR?" (I'm actually thinking what the expletive is a "DNR"?) I look at her as if she starting speaking some other language other than English. She got the drift of my confused look and stated, "that means we cannot re-open your account."

Ok, people, I am far from stupid. The fact that this Cheksystems issue happened over 10 years ago, they have been paid in full way back when, I was simply trying to escape a bank that would not previously protect me from fraud and theft, a bank that also uses Cheksystems to verify, so obviously and evidently, I am no longer in Cheksystems wanted to come back to Commerce, I gathered the full gist of what she was saying before she did. I shouldn't even have had to. I paraphrased, "So do you mean that regardless of that I paid Commerce back, I can never ever have an account with Commerce again?" She and the assistant she was training somewhat stared at me and finally she said, "I'm sorry." "You know m'aam, I wasted my time. You also wasted my time today as well, I should have been informed of this information first." She actually got defensive and tried to justify her course of action. "We had to run your information first" I said it should have been run first from the start. I had her give me the address of another local bank that was not to far from their location. She gave that very willingly and fast. I left very fast at that, my time is precious, no more wasting it here, 5 minutes of my time should have been all that was given.

But alas, I come home and started doing some research and learned that I actually dodged a bullet but not signing up with Commerce? Are you serious? Even though I am very saddened by the way Commerce has duped and gotten over on other consumers, now I know, I am not crazy. I felt weird from the start that I did not belong there, they were and are not the bank for me. I've always been the one to state everything happens for a reason, well, at least in my world it does. I pray and hope that my new bank does right by me and protects my money and everybody elses the way a bank is suppose to. Run far away from Commerce!!!

Commerce Bank — Unauthorize witdraws

I was checking my checking account on August 17th 2009 and I noticed that Commerce bank withdrawed $30.00 out...

Commerce BankNON PERFORMANCE OF DUTY

I have had two instances where I was the target of scammers and the subsequent illegitimate/disputed charges to my bank debit card. When I reported this to Commerce (my bank) they did very little to assist me and seemed to favor substantiating the charges in spite of the significant evidence I supplied to the contrary. One of these charges dealt with one of the Acai Berry "marketers" which is by now exposed to many as being involved in fraudulent charges. I even sent evidence that one government agency had declared the same charges in another state to be fraud and took the company to task. In spite of all that, Commerce eventually found that I owed the money and sustained the charges. I have not paid them. I closed my account and will fight tooth and nail against not only the Acai Berry issue but also Commerce Bank's indifference to abuse of its account holders.

Commerce BankTerrible bank

A day or two prior to Thanksgiving 2008, I went to the Demun Branch on Clayton Road and specifically ask that this account be closed. The representative remembered me from the time I had opened the account, and said no problem, he would gladly close the account. After presenting my driver's license for verification, his completion of the paperwork, he then presented me with cash in the amount of $8 and some change (and said the account was closed).

A week later I started receiving statements in the mail saying items were presented for payment and being returned, and $35 fees were being applied to that account. I contacted the bank and asked why fees were being applied to a closed account, and I was told, 'well the account isn't closed for 30-days after a request is made, and as long as items are not presented for payments, then they will close the account.' If items are sent to the bank, they are returned however, that will cause the account to open itself, and fees will continue to apply. If these fees are not paid then they will send my account to some checkmate agency that will cause me to not be able to write checks until those fees are paid.

I've had numerous request for payments from payday loan companies, (which I had informed them in advance that Commerce Bank account was now a closed, and the funds were not available). The payday loans would continue to send their request for payments regardless, and Commerce Bank was informed of this, however, they continued to keep the account open, and continued to apply these fees to what I though was a closed account. They say I now have over $665 in fees, and they will fix it so that I can't write checks until they are paid.

I think this is illegal, unjust, and there's just no way I can pay these fees! Commerce Bank is totally out of their mind for practicing in this manner, there's just no way this can be legal! I wrote to the Manager Brian Buck and as of to-date there has been no response from him!

• Ta
                        Takecareofyourownstuff Dec 18, 2009

For one this is not illegal read on your federal reserve book on banking love and two, maybe you should pay off your payday loan instead of depending on the bank to close out your account so you dont have to pay them.

• Dj
                        d joe Jan 13, 2010

Its is ashame that a customer cannot be protected by these kinds of acts, all because a bank wants to try to make as much money as they can off of people!!! If you request an account to be closed it should happen immediatly! Ive never heard of this sort of nonsense before until commerce bank and i will never do business with them.

• Fu
                        futuremrs May 24, 2012

we just started banking at commerce not too long ago, when my fiance went to talk to one of the reps there, later to only find out that she was spilling her sob stories to him about her break up, come on really!?! that's is far from professional. i dont appreciate that kind of relationship with banks esp. w/ my future husband, on top of that this rep said she'll help him close down the account to move it to the next, and never did!! what kind of yahoo cesspool are they running there?

Commerce BankFraud and cheating

For about the 3rd time now, Commerce Bank has posted something in my Pending Transactions online, including taking the money out of my account and once that item is credited back to my account (because I have returned it), they have removed it from my Pending Transactions, but not credited the money back to my account.

They like to say that the transactions canceled themselves out, but that isn't true because the money was never given back. To make matters worse, because I have contested transactions with them so many times they have since told me that I can no longer get a credit to my account, even if it is their mistake, because I have already had 3 this year... which basically means they have a right to rob me from now on and I can never get my money back.

In a slumping economy where every penny counts, being robbed by your bank is the worst insult.

Commerce BankA bunch of scam artists

The same thing happened to me. I have two gift cards, one for $200 and the other for $150 only to find that $2.50 a month was being taken out for their maintenance fees. WHAT MAINTENANCE???? I called and spoke to several supervisors and they won't refund my money. Funny, when I got the gift card, Commerce Bank's name was not listed in the greeting with mine!! WHAT A BUNCH OF SCAM ARTISTS! HOW DARE THEY!

Where do they come off charging fees? I'm going to file a complaint...or better yet...I'll call the news!!

• Mn
                            mnvprasad Jun 13, 2008

:( Beware of Commerce Bank :(
                            When I first opened my account in Commerce Bank they said no monthly service change for both checking and savings account and also no minimum balance.
                            When I recently checked my accounts(both checking and savings accounts) they were charging around 4$ maintanance fee for checking and they charged around 15$ for savings account(stupid thing).Then I decided to close my account and went to a branch and closed.The Guy who closed my account did not even ask me the reason for closing(may be they have enough customers).

This was my experience with Commerce Bank in New Jersey.