Having problems with ComEd?

+1 800 334 7661 (Residential)
+1 800 955 8237 (Spanish)
+1 877 426 6331 (Business)
+1 888 806 2273 (Assistance Programs)
+1 866 368 8326 (Smart Meter Inquiries)
P.O. Box 805379
Chicago, Illinois
United States - 60680-5379
Payment Address
P.O. BOX 6111, Carol Stream, IL 60197-6111

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with ComEd.

Complaints & Reviews

ComEd — rudeness of the customer service rep

On April 5, 2017 at approximately 8:40 and 8:50 am, I was speaking with a representative named Rosa at ComED...

ComEd — a com ed customer service agent

1:30 p. m. on 2/23/2017 Com Ed Joliet, IL office #[protected]. I was treated so rudely by female...

ComEd — deposit not being refunded.

We recently called ComEd after realizing that they were still holding our $200 deposit on hand, as they...

ComEdbilling after service a regular bill on 8/25/16shut off

I moved out of Illinois and sold my home there. We closed and I disconnected ComEd service on 8/25/16, I have disconnect conf #. I paid a regular bill on 8/25/16 and what I believe to be the last bill on 9/13/16. I heard nothing from ComEd until 10/13/16 when I got a bill from a collection agency for this account. Three things bother me, 1. this service has been disconnected, 2. I never received the original bill, 3 date of service is 9/22/16, is it ComEd's normal procedure to send bills for collection that are less than 30 days old.

Comed An Exelon Company — management

Linda Altobelli that works in customer service in oak brook is a drunk and has family in security service...

ComEd — service disconnection

I have had comed for about 1 year... I recently recieved a shut off notice. And my service was shut off. When...

ComEdutility bill

I have lived at 701 W. Belmont Ave Appt. 1E for o9ver a year. I wrongly assumed my landlord paid utilities.in all that time I never received a bill. My utilities were shut off. I since have received a bill from them for over $1800. Also was told in order to set up payments would haveto pay $160. I paid it but by not calling them after, now I would have to pay $466 to make payments. They told me there was an $140 charge to make payments so I said I would think about it.in the meantime, I am receiving enormous bills. I am gone most of the time and they are saying my small 1 bedroom apt generated $300 in utilities. Outrageous! Especially when I was gone 2 weekends. I have a disclosure sheet from them from my landlord that states my utilities should be $900 A YEAR! They said they would send someone out to check the meter but I know they will say nothing is wrong. Please help me. I cannot pay this!

• Me
        melinda c miller Feb 28, 2012

i can understand high bills in the summer but in the winter i went from paying a bill of 1, 600 to 2, 354 now how can i pay that i only get 668 monthly what kind of help out here for low income people

• Ot
        otd Sep 16, 2014

I looked at my bill and noticed a deposit charge of 71.66? What the ---- for. I have not moved. What is this I want my money back. Is this a class action law suit in the making?

• Jd
        JDouble U Oct 30, 2014

I'm wanting to link up with anyone interested in beginning a class action lawsuit against ComEd for the deposit scam they are running.

• Jd
        JDouble U Oct 30, 2014

I'm looking for people interesting in starting a class action lawsuit against ComEd for the deposit scam they are running.

ComEdrude representative

I called comed to get an explanation of why was my bill doubled. The representative was so rude and mean. So I asked to speak to her supervisor, and she put me on hold for an hour. I don't know what to do about this because I still didn't get helped and my bill is still doubled.

ComEdbilling issues, rude customer service and long holds

It started as was over billed for periods of June 2013 - January 2014, normal bill which has been for years is around $90-$120, during those months was getting bill well over $450 dollars and up, Never been bill this high during winter and summer months in the few years I live in this place. Call several times to get issue resolve and they sent meter guy out month later, claim to find no issue, wasn't around when they sent them out as was working. Then call again they sent another meter guy and claimed the same, but this time around notice a month later bill drop back down to normal and has stay normal since. So ask to speak to upper management, to see what going on, and just get place on hold for over 2 hours and just give up as don't have time to spend hours on the phone at a time hoping to get a hold of someone, but did kept trying every few days and the same, issue still not resolve.

Did pay the bill as didn't want to get disconnected and get out of control, but now having issues with that, as paid then the amounts required to avoid disconnect, in the meantime trying to resolve other issue and to this day still hasn't been corrected. To make matters worst paid over $360 on 09/29/2014 to keep from having service disconnected bring the balance down to around $90 bucks. Now to see that I have two deposits added to account on 10/22/2014 for the amount of $133, which is illegal, as been a customer for over 2 years plus and wasn't disconnected as paid amount required on 09/29/2014 and then get another disconnect notice and hasn't even been a month since last payment. Still can't get a hold of upper management to fix issues and try today on 10/22/2014, as soon as I receive the notice and was on hold for over 2 hours and 30 mins before hanging up. This is unacceptable.

ComEd Electricbill to high during to vacation

My family and I were out of town for 2 weeks and our electric bill was higher than the previous four months but over 300-400 kWh. My wife and I work from home so that energy wasn't being used. No TV or electronics were is use during this time. The weather was colder than normal and I use Nest to manage my air conditioning. No way my energy usage was higher with us being out of the home for 2 of the 4 week billing cycle. I called Comed and as usual they cannot do anything about it since its a meter reading but I call into question the accuracy and legitimacy of the meter.

ComEdcustomer representative

I just called ComEd today to ask some questions about my bill, but it was a big mistake! The customer representative (Tracy) was very RUDE and kept on saying that she can't understand me, is it because I have an accent? Well, I'm just writing here since I can't find anywhere in their website where to forward my concern. Big company like ComEd should invest in better customer service training, because this is one of the consolation you can give your customers from their stress on paying bills.

• Mk
                MkStItCh Jun 26, 2014

This is the site to email questions... It took me about 2-3 min of my time on the website to figure this out... Good luck

ComEdinaccurate meter readings

From March 2013 thru Feb 2014 my average kWh used per month was about 705. In March 2014, I received a bill stating my kWh had jumped to 1500 for one month! I called Com ed and advised this had to be an inaccurate reading. I was advised someone would come out and look at it, but I had to pay the $358 bill because they could not come out until 04/18, and the bill was due 04/15. ( I was also getting robbed by Palmco Power who was my electric suppiler at the time, but that is a separate complaint) . I advised that I could not pay the full amount due, and was advised I would be put on the budget plan and needed to pay only $134.00 by the 04/15 due date, which I did. The next month, I get a bill for $293.54 due 05/15 . The kWh were only 453, but I was showing a past due amount of $161.54, even though the budget billing details were stated on the bill. I called again, and was advised that the budget billing had not gone into effect as I had not paid the full amount of the bill the previous month. I advised the CS agent that what she was stating made NO sense, and that was not what I was told the previous month, (of course the previous CS agent did not notate the account ). I asked for the budget billing to be canceled, as the amount being requested $134 was higher than my bill which usually ran between $95 and $120, so it was useless. I paid the total of $293 to bring my account to $0.0, and avoid any other issues. This came at a great expense to my already tight household budget, which irritated me to no end. During these calls I was REPEATEDLY advised that the 1500kWh meter reading was correct. For May my bill was $90, for 392kWh, back to normal, on with life, take the loss for March/April. June, I get 2 bills dated 06/18 and 06/19 WTH??? Both state $0.00 due. One is a new bill for May, and the current bill for June, showing 94/91kWh per month respectively. HUH??? The new Actual meter reading is now showing 200+kWh LESS than in Feb! Just as I though, I was the victim of a LAZY METER READER, who for 2 months did not bother to get out of the truck to READ THE METER, just made up numbers, but stated that the readings were actual and not an estimate. Needless to say, I am furious. Between 04/16 and 06/13, I paid Com ed $503!!! I am a single parent with one income, so this has hurt. I have received no letter of explanation or apology for Com ed, just a bill stating I have an excess credit of nearly $200. Hey Com ed, maybe I need my money back to pay some of my OTHER bills! Maybe an "Oops, Our Bad", or some kind of correspondence explaining these 2 June bills would be nice. This is what happens when we allow monopolies, which Com ed clearly is, so they have no accountability. READ YOUR BILLS CLOSELY FOLKS!!!

ComEdturn off

I was recently separated from the military and all my bills were bundled into one. For the passed 6 months I have been on a payment plan with them to get all caught up. I missed a payment in July and they are saying now I have to pay the whole 926.34 so they don't disconnect. I have tried talking with them asking to pay my previous month which would catch me up on my plan. I did pay 280.19 today. However once I paid it they are trying to tell me it may still be shut off because its in the field . Since the payment was a little late they won't tell me if this will put me back on my payment plan. I have young kids I'm just out of the military and seriously living check to check. I'm feeling bullied by them with no help and nobody else to turn to.

ComEdovercharging-inaccurate meter reading

Our bill dated March 22, 2013 (also the read date indicated in the statement), jumped up twice as much from the previous months. I know there's something wrong since we're conserving energy. When I went out to check the meter last April 08, 2013 (16 days after ComEd's reading), it showed a huge difference. ComEd's actual meter reading last March 22, 2013 is 95883 kWh while the actual reading last April 08, 2013 was only 95402 kWh. This is again 16 days after ComEd's recorded reading. We already sent our payment so they won't think of any other way of charging us before we make a complaint. If we're going to complain to them, they will settle it but the other people won't know that there's a fraud in the billing statement. Can you please give us a call on what we're suppose to do.
                  Thank you... Chatto 4/18/2013

ComEdI believe I am being over charged

I have been getting very large bills from ComEd. I believe I am being Over-charged by ComEd. My Bills are getting an extra $100 or more every month. my bills are very inconsistance with one another. they are never the same. They came to my house about five or six times, checking to see If I were stealing lights, when they found out the meters were accurate, they did not want to believe that we were using such a small amount of lights, they jacked up the bill like over night. the bills went from $60 to 80 dollars, from 80 dollars to 100 dollars, from 100 daollars to over two hundred dollars, from 200 hndred dollars to $364 dollars, from $364, to now presently 520 dollars. They first sent me a $140 demamdning deposit, changed from that, and sent $180, chnaged from that and trn right around and sent me another $200 demanding deposit. I have all my reciepts. I paid the 364 Bill, and owed 364 dollars, they jacked that up with 514.00 dollars. I dont know if they are trying to stop me from having lights or what? This is getting way out of hand in how they are snding me bills that are inconsistant with one another. I am not burning no more than I did last month. It has not been very cold, and the weather is not freezing, I cannot understand, why they are jacking my bill up evey single month. its like they are trying their best to keep me paying all my money on lights. I have more than one bill to pay. I believe this is because, I told them I was going to seek some kind of justice in how they are billing me. They are chaging me what they want to chage me, and making up stuff. I am paying: 355.03 dollars for electriacal sercvies alone, 100.88 dollars delivery services and 59.07 for taxes and others. my bills went from 48.00 to 520.00 dollars a month, it looks as if its not going to keep growing. How can you burn the same amount. and the bill keep going up? its not cold so what is the problem? I hope you can solve this problem. At one time, they sent me two bills out in one month. they did this about two or three times. I got the bills.

ComEdservice turned off

We have lived at this home since Feb 2012. I have called Comed 3 times, set up my account 3 times online and still sent no bill. 5 days ago they came to my door and shut off my power, and since this time I have found out that the reason they shut it off was because there was no name on the bill. I told them well how many times does one have to call and be told that this would be resolved and I should receive something with in 4-6 weeks. They told me that it is not there problem and that a past due amount from 7 years ago needs to be paid before they can turn it back on (different address). I told them that I filed Bankruptcy and that this should have already been taken care of. Needless to say I am sitting here in a 30 degree home with no electricity, except a generator that I had to rent, and paying $30 a day in gas, for a total of $75 a day. I got my lawyer involved and it was supposed to be turned on Friday and here it is Monday am and still nothing. I am pretty sure that when I call them in a couple of hours they will tell me something else so that they do not have to actually have to do anything to quick. Why does it take 5 minutes to turn it off and over 5 days to turn it back on? I will be reporting them to the BBB and also they need to take into account that if they know someone is using the energy and they have the actual homeowners name why not send the bill to them. Also there are people who do have medical issues, like diabetes, use of oxygen, etc. these people have no sympathy or even any brains at all. Spoke to 4 different people and no one seems to know what they are doing. They tell me that everything is recorded, then why is is I have to explain the same thing to everyone at the place, but when it comes to what they say, they tell me that I have been told the same thing before?

• Co
                          comedHater Mar 04, 2013

I hate ComEd. they turned off my bill on a friday, march 1st and said there was no name on the account. its freezing outside and still haven't had energy restored and its monday afternoon. All my food in my fridge is spoiled and i haven't even opened the freezer yet. ###s the phone too. To make matters worse, we're expecting 10 inches of snow tonight. damnit

• Ki
                          kimmy1674 Mar 04, 2013

I understand your frustration, it took me like almost 2 weeks to get this taken care of. I had to go and rent a generator and that was like $40 a day plus gas. I kept all my receipts and I mailed them a copy with my bill multiple times. They seem to keep ignoring it so I called and told them about the generator and they told me that they were not responsible for it. I had my lawyer call them and they finally reimbursed me for the generator and also the gas. They would not do anything regarding the food I lost, there solution to that was that I should have put it in coolers or outside with it being cold like it was at the time. I also had my doctor write a letter to them saying that it is a necessity for me to have electricity due to medical issues. Contact the BBB, things seem to speed up when this happens, also if you have a friend that has some legal background this also helps. GOOD LUCK!

Com Edovercharged when new meter installed

In May of 2011 I had a new meter installed. Com-ed finally came and did an actual reading they say in March and by balance went from 195.35 to 814.80 I have been charged for having tow meters running when I don't. I have tried to explain this many time them with no results, last time I spoke with them I told them I have a picture of my old meter and new one to prove I only have one meter. My budget amount due this month is 894.25 which I don't have. I have attached photo of the old and new meters. Please feel free to contact me any time

overcharged when new meter installed
                        overcharged when new meter installed

ComEd — deposit

I've had ComEd service and pay my $20-30 bill in full when I get a chance. Not with in the 12 days they alot...

Com Ed — demanding 3rd deposit in 2yrs

when first moved in a @65.00 deposit was requested they suggested dividing it into 3 equal payments per month...

Dwight

ComEdmailed check never posted

I have complained on this board more than once about ComEd. One of my complaints was that I sent in a payment to ComEd, and it was determined that probably ComEd received and cashed my payment, but I never got credit. The cleared money order has a different ComEd account number on it. ComEd did not respond to many phone and about two written inquiries. I've since complained through the BBB and it took tens of hours and over 1 year's time to recover my $60 from ComEd's at best beaurocracy or at worst, evil money hole. By they way, do not complain through the ICC-I have evidence and am preparing future complaints to show that they are in cahoots.

Now I've sent in another money order, fully documented of course. I made and sent a copy of payment stub (I kept the original payment stub), and I made and kept a copy of the money order. Now it is 6 weeks later and it has not been posted to my account. It is possible that the Post Office is at fault, but knowing ComEd's history of making payments dissappear, I'm now fully engaged in tracking to see where my payment went.

Advice to all ComEd serfs-I mean customers: When mailing a payment do the following:
                          1) Make a copy of your payment, or use checks with duplicates
                          2) Keep the original bill and stub, make a copy of it and send a copy of the stub
                          3) Use tracking or delivery confirmation for larger payments or
                          3.5) pay at a payment center where payment can be documented

If you can't do steps 3 or 3.5, at least mail it from a more secure mailbox - just don't hang it in your personal mailbox door.
                          At any time a ComEd employee or partner in crime outside of ComEd (ie Postal Worker, law enforcement agent, etc) can intercept and cash your payment, apply it to a different ComEd account, or just make it disappear. This will cause late fees, postal fees and other inconveniences as much as power shut-off.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices