Complaints & Reviews

How I Got My Refunds Back from Certs, Inc.

Here is my posting that I've been putting anywhere I see someone trying to get a refund from this company. I got burned as well and am sharing how I was able to get my money back. Hope this helps!

Let me start by saying this actually is not a complaint but hopefully a solution to helping those that are looking for a refund from Certs Inc. I read many of the complaints on Certs Inc. collecting deposits but not getting any services and then having a near impossible time trying to get a refund. I too was in the same boat up until a few months ago.

In December 2008, my wife and I had attended a seminar for membership into their travel club which claims to offer great discounts. We were promised free airfare, car rental and hotel even if we didn't purchase. Long story short, we didn't purchase and received our vouchers. If anyone is reading this, then you already know how difficult it it to actually get the plane tickets, car rental and hotel because of all the small details that are in fine print... Pick 2 dates at least 30 days apart, travel must be at least 4 days in length, hotel date choices cannot be within 7 days of a holiday, must b Postal Service money order...You get the picture. If you don't complete any of these correctly the first time, then you receive a letter from them saying sorry, your offer is voided, thanks for playing.

I was really meticulous in following the instructions but missed some really small details. I had sent 3 deposits for plane tickets, car rental and hotel. The plane ticket and car rental deposits were actually returned once they informed me I didn't correctly complete the forms. So they did return my deposits on those offers immediately. The hotel form however, I had dead on. I received a letter saying that the dates were not available and to choose again. I resent the request with two new dates spread more than 30 days apart. Well, I never heard back. Now fast forward to Jan 2010, they still had over $100 in deposits. I had tried to call like everyone else but you always get a recording that says you have to submit in writing any request. I did that twice and never heard back. Even sent the letters Certified mail to confirm delivery. And yes, they were both delivered. This was back in 11/2009, a year later! After 3 months going by an no response, I went to the BBB of Central Florida to file a complaint. They called me back saying they can only help if the company you are complaining about cooperates with them. Well no big surprise, Certs Inc. doesn't cooperate. The BBB sent me some links to file a complaint at the state level. Here is where it gets good...

First I filed a complaint online with the Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum. I got a reply several days later saying they would forward to the AG Economic Crime Section for review. The email also stated to file another online complaint with the Florida Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Consumer Services (DACS). This department is where sellers of travel have to register on the state level. The email included a link to complete an online complaint form. That link is www.800helpfla.com. I completed the online complaint form and received a letter in the mail about 2-3 weeks later stating that they sent notice to Certs Inc to respond. The company has a time frame of window to respond back explaining the situation. The letter also stated for me to send in any proof documenting my complaint. I had luckily made copies of everything, the original forms, postal money order receipts, certified mailing receipts, the whole nine yards. The day I had sent it out, I also received the same day in the mail, a letter from DACS that included a copy of a letter from CERTS, Inc., stating that my refund had been sent. About 2 weeks later, I received a check in the mail for my remaining deposit that was outstanding. So after nearly a year and half I finally had all my deposits back, minus the money I had paid for the postal money orders and the certified mailing. About $10 in the whole after all is said and done. But the important thing is I did get that last refund back.

If anyone is still having issues getting a refund from CERTS, Inc. I would heavily recommend going the route I did as it worked for me. Again, go to www.800helpfla.com. On the left hand side, there is a link to "File a complaint". This is where I got the help I needed because the company is required to respond back to that division on the state level. My remaining deposit was only $110. I read other complaints where people had said they have over $400 in deposits still outstanding. I hope that everyone out there that experienced the same issue with Certs, Inc., will find this useful and will have the same luck I had.

Would also like to hear any other success stories about getting refunds from this company. Good luck!!

Deposit $498 scam

Certs, Inc. has scammed me out of $498. On June 27 2008 7:45 pm I attended a time share presentation for...

waiting...

well i guess i am in the same boat, (glad i didnt book the cruise) as everyone else, i got a travel voucher...

No refund

Went to a place called Time To Go Travel in Fort Mill, S.C. for a presentation for travel presentation. We...

rip off

Presented at a vacation package, one free week at a condo. Sent in the form with $75.00 postal money order & followed their instructions. Returned a form for me to pick a destination for a STUDIO (for 3 people) ...not a condo now, but paperwork said a studio. I picked a location in Feb. of 2010, and they were to call me to confirm. Nothing happened...Feb. came & gone. I tried to call them, but they have a message they are so so busy, send them a letter & hang up. I am still waiting to hear from them. This same company...I think, because there were only two forms given to us, Celebrity Productions, charged my credit card for $70.00. This is a run around from one company to another. Working on the other free offer for two airline tickets during the same presentation., and that is Grand Incentives, inc. & they are all out of Florida. So, bottom line we have 3 companies involved who say they do not know who the others are...CERTS, INC. CELEBRITY PRODUCTIONS, AND GRAND INCENTIVES, INC. SOMEBODY needs to check all these companies out. The public is being scammed.

Fraud - owes us $272.00

In April, 2009, we attended a travel club presentation in Lincoln, NE, for which we were to be awarded a 3-day-2-night trip FREE. We had to pay $50 each up front (fully refundable good faith money?!?) and later had to pay $86 each for taxes and fees.

On Nov. 14, 2009, we received a letter from Certs, Inc. saying that they could not find the "vacation" we requested, but if we would return the form, we would be reimbursed the entire $272.00 within 30 days of the letter's return. We signed and returned the letter the very next day (11/15/09).

To date, we have received nothing. We have tried calling numerous times, but cannot reach anyone. I sent a letter via certified mail and got no response. I have reported Certs, Inc. to the Better Business Bureau, but they said this company does not cooperate with them, so there is nothing they can do.

Do we have any further recourse? We would appreciate any advice.

• Dc
    DC2NYC Sep 16, 2010

Cruise Fraud

If you Jump Through Enough Hoops...

Ok, having read all of the complaints about Certs, Inc. I just wanted to let you know it can be done. We received a Wings certificate for going to a travel club presentation 11 months ago. Despite the fact that I read all the complaints I decided to give it a try anyway. People aren't getting their travel, but at the very least the company seems to be pretty good about returning deposits. I followed all of the directions exactly. When they wanted travel dates at least 30 days apart, I gave them dates at least 35 days apart, etc. They did ask for extra money for taxes, which I sent as soon as the request arrived. Our first dates came and went without hearing from them. When the second dates were approaching I received a letter asking for 2 more dates. We finally were confirmed for our 4th choice of dates. They called about a month before the dates to confirm and officially book the flight. I was very surprized that they also booked our rental car (we had a certificate for that too) two weeks later. I figured they would try to book them for different dates so I couldn't use one or the other. The flight going left super early and we returned super late, and the rental car was booked at a downtown location, so we had to figure out how to get the 25 miles from the airport to pick up the car, but over all we received about $800 worth of flights and car rentals for less than $200. By the way, they did refund the amount that we had overpaid for taxes. Would I do it again? Maybe. It was a royal pain. We certainly couldn't have done it if my husband's job required vacation approval far in advance, or if we didn't have relatives that were willing to be "on call" to take the kids for all of those dates. So if you are up for the challenge, really flexible, can have some of your money tied up for a while, and don't expect to actually get anything, you might want to try it.

• Ta
    Taken by Certs Jan 18, 2010

This is the biggest scam! We've been waiting since August to receive our $150.00 deposit

Don't have anything to do with the Certs, Inc Company!!!

• Jb
    JB Carideo Sep 24, 2010

9-23-2010 Scam! Apparently the company has gone bankrupt! Called the number for what is assumed to be Horizons Travel Service, rather than give you the 3 day 2 night accommodations.. there pushing their offfers of a resort vacation or a cruise--- both for more money. You can't get your money back. Complete Joke.. Its sad that the companies who provide these certificates, arn't made aware of the scam.. and if they are Shame on them.

Save yourself the trouble!

My experience after sitting through a 90 minute presentation and was promised 2 RT Airline tickets, 3 night...

Have not received $150 deposit

We were asked to provide $150 in order to be eligible for 2 round-trip Jet Blue airfares that we were...

Reward for time spent viewing travel club

Having sat through several hours of twisting my arm to purchase a vacation club and forcing them to except my...

Certs is a SCAM

We participated in a Strataforce Travel Presentation in Miami on 9/25/2007. They offered us a Certs hotel...

Unethical business practices!

The $100 of free gas must be purchased in exact $10 increments, once per month. Didn’t know about that...

Scam and cheating!

My husband and I were promised a 5 day cruise, $40.00 gas rebate and a free dinner for listening to a presentation about a vacation plan. The cruise turned out to have several hundred dollars processing fees, the gas rebate would be paid at 10.00 a month and even though we had a voucher signed by a sales representative they said they never heard of a promise of a free dinner. The post card we receive looked very official with a cruise ship on the front and the Carnival Cruise Ship logo on the back.

• Cp
    C PALMER Apr 03, 2008

We sent in our $50.00 for each certificate to be processed. We specifically asked for dates MONTHS apart. One in May and One in September. On 4/1 we get a letter asking for an additional $25.00 for each certificate, but cannot confirm if either date is okayed. After reading all of the comments posted here I will be submitting my paperwork for a refund immediately. Has ANYONE EVER gotten a ticket out of these folks - I'm really curious. I mean, how can they make money if people cancel on them all the time because of this apparent scam. Thanks to all of you who have WARNED me :)

• Ce
    Certs Inc Jun 23, 2008

First, we'd like to apologize for any inconveniences you may have experience redeeming your travel certificate from our company. Keeping that in mind, we'd like to point out a few important details regarding the travel certificate business.

Our business is no different than any other business transaction in which both parties must comply with their agreement and adhere to the terms of service.

We highly recommend in the future if you receive a call or postcard from a marketing company promising you a travel certificate if you attend a timeshare presentation that you ask for the name of the company responsible for providing the incentive.

We further recommend if it is a Certs, Inc. incentive, that you visit our web site (www.certsinc.biz) where you can read the entire terms of service for each incentive we offer, and then make an educated decision on whether of not to move forward with the presentation.

Certs, Inc. has no control over the presentation by the marketing company or the sales tactics used by the vacation club representative. However, we do police their activities and from time-to-time will discontinue the sales of our products to these companies if we feel there is misrepresentation.

Certs, Inc. has never, and will never, change the terms of service on our incentives "after" it has been presented to our clients customers.

If you have not received a booking confirmation from our company for the travel date(s) you provided, you are entitled to a full refund of all monies paid to Certs, Inc.

Due to the inconveniences of a large cancellation rate for booked travel, your travel dates will not be confirmed until 14 days in advance. This is to benefit you by allowing a full refund in case you an experience a life event that keeps you from traveling on the dates you provided us.

If you feel you have not received a fair chance at redeeming your travel certificate, please contact our customer service department (1-800-292-0099) so we can research your situation and act accordingly based off your incentive's terms of service.

Sincerely,

Gregory A. Peaden, CEO
    Certs, Inc.

• Cj
    CJ Bostic Jul 15, 2008

It is so funny that Greg Peaden thinks he can salvage his company's reputation by posting on here that we should contact him! I worked for a company that used Certs and they did nothing but TRY to find ways NOT to fulfill (forced breakage)! Mr. Peaden is desperate and you should not believe him. I know that he intentionally creates his certificates to trick people and mislead them. Do not trust him or Certs, Inc.

RUN AWAY!

• Na
    Natalie Nalbone Oct 14, 2009

We were promised a cruise and had to pay up front $500 for my husband and I a year in advance. 2 months before leaving on the trip, they sent us a letter saying they could not fullfill our request, and to either pick a new date, or our money back, with an additional $100 from them as their way of saying I am sorry. We picked our money back, considering we had already put the time in at work etc.. We were promised our money in 6 weeks. I reached out twice, and was told twice, that they don't know why it is taking so long to process our money. I have been trying ever since, and have never ever been able to get through on the line. They either say they are closed, when it is clearly during working hours, or you wait hours and hours, and no one ever picks up. It is an absolute disgrace what this company has done to innocent individuals. I will never give up, and next, call radio and television stations.

• Go
    Goshal Nov 30, 2009

big scam!! all teh above reviews about them are true.

• Go
    Goshal Nov 30, 2009

CERTS mailed us back syaing that the Certificate issue dates were altered though the agent from TIME TO GO TRAVEL who issued us the certificate was the one who altered it and it was just one day of difference. We were denied the certificate by Certs and we were not given our cashiers check back. I just canot believe how a company like CERTS is in buinsess and a man like Gregory A. Peaden ( CEO) can sleep peacefully at night eating innocent peoples money.

Travel scam!

We were lured by an advertisement mailer to attend a buying club called APS in Katy, TX with a promise of 2...

Poor service!

Received a "free flights for two anywhere in continental US" (Wings Across America) "certificate" for...

Certs is a huge scam!

This is the biggest scam incentive company ever! If you send in a bank cashier's check or money order...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices