Received a "free flights for two anywhere in continental US" (Wings Across America) "certificate" for attending a travel presentation. Filled out paperwork and received an "Activation Form", which was filled out exactly (two different dates, 30 days apart) and sent in. No notification was due to be sent until 30-45 days before. Three weeks before first travel date, received letter that "$50 / person" deposit wasn't enough to meet taxes & fees required, and that an additional $25 / person was required. At this point I called their office [protected]), and eventually spoke to a "manager". This is how their redemption (eg. scam) works:
1. They received "blocks" of tickets according to their "contracts" with airlines every 30 days, so they don't know until 30 days before your supposed travel date whether they'll even be able to accommodate your request. This applies even if you give them a date 6 months away!
(2. Supposedly you are supposed to be PHONED by their reservation dept if you actually get your ticket booked.)
3. Since they can't book you, they send you a notice saying that "based on the history of cost of flights between your departure and destination,... taxes and fees exceed your original deposit". You are then required to send another $25 / person, as well as not guaranteeing the availability of your chosen dates.
4. This means your first chosen date now cannot occur (as admitted by the manager).
5. If you're lucky, you'll get your second chosen date, if not, you'll have to choose your two preferred dates again. Repeat from Step 1, until the 12-month booking is up.
Enjoy your free vacation!
PS. Everything they send you includes a "If this request is unsatisfactory" notice, with a place for you to sign and cancel your otherwise-never-to-be-fulfilled request.