Capital One Credit Card Companyfraud business practices!

K Review updated:

I am seeking to file a complaint against Capital One Credit Card Company for fraudulent practices. I have also contacted my congressperson and both California Senators in writing. I will also copy this complaint to all consumer websites (the internet is a wonderful thing), The Attorney General of Virginia, the Commissioner of Financial Institutions as well as CNN, Sixty Minutes, Primetime and anyone else I can think of who can speak out against this type of egregious behavior. I know it's hard for the media conglomerates to step forward and dig deeper when their advertising revenue comes from companies like Capital One. However, after watching some of the hearings in Washington last week against banks and credit card companies charging excessive fees to their customers, I felt compelled to finally express my frustration for the hard working tax payers of this country and to ask Capital One’s CEO, Richard Fairbank to stop abusing your customers.

For the past six months I have attempted to close one of my three Capital One Credit Card Accounts. My husband has one for business, I have a family use card and the one I’m attempting to close since October 2006, was my business credit card. I no longer have the business and therefore had no need for a third card. We have been Capital One cardholders for many years and have always enjoyed a low interest rate of 9.9% on all three of our cards, due to our good credit... until I attempted to close my business card in late October 2006. That’s when things changed.

On October 27th, 2006 I called Capital One and asked for a payoff on the the card. I promptly paid the balance. I received confirmation of payment. I then followed up once the check was cashed and asked that they close the account. They did not close the account. They continued to accept miscellaneous charges from Sports Illustrated Renewal, Amazon and now this month a Consumer Reports annual renewal notice. None of these charges was authorized or approved by me and all of these companies refunded me the money. However, as a result of these three separate charges, Capital One continued to charge me 28.1 % over the course of five months, until the time these money were refunded to me. I called Capital One and asked them to reimburse me for the finance charges and finally they did do that after three phone calls; it's not about the money, it's about the principle.

I have written a letter to Capital One and have made numerous phone calls to try and close account, to no avail. Today, March 16th, 2007 the account is still open, despite Capital One promising me on the phone they would not accept any more charges to my account. They must be making quite a tidy profit off of this practice: customer calls in to close account, take their rate up to triple what it was, let those monthly reoccurring charges flow in (because no customer can recall all of them), and Capital One has a huge revenue stream of profit coming in (thanks to the Actuary who figured this out).

Because I no longer have the card in my possession (I cut it up after my final payment) I cannot even access my statements online because I don’t have an expiration date and they can’t give it to me over the phone. I actually have to order a new card in order to get the expiration date in order to get online and review my statements. Today I called to ask for my last six months statements and I was told it was $3.00 per statement! It seems that every time I try to correct this situation, Capital One is charging me again. Now I can see why the CEO of Capital One, Mr. Fairbank, has made close to 500 million dollars over the past five years (that’s right, 100 million per year!). I’m appalled at the transparent and aggressive tactics used by the CEO, Richard Fairbank, to generate revenue and profits, at the expense of so many loyal customers. I wonder if Capital One shareholders would approve of such tactics knowing the CEO is consuming a large chunk of the profits via his salary?

My goal is simply to close the above mentioned account and have confirmation of this in writing. Today I spoke with two different customer service reps for Capital One Michael ID #QSJ941 and his supervisor Joaell ID #JKW464. Both informed me that Capital One cannot close an account until 30 days to make sure there are not re-occurring charges. After five years of having this card, this is a lot to try and remember. I couldn’t possibly remember what magazines I signed up for a year or two ago and what month they are about to expire. The lesson I learned from all of this is don’t use Capital One-ever!.

Sincerely,
Kerry.

• W
      Apr 10, 2007

I have had a Capital One Credit card for many years, always been happy with an APR. of 4.99%, that is until the March 2007 Statement, it doubled to 9.90%, to start in April of 2007. I normally pay online, pay in advance & pay more than the minimum payment. I thought it was a billing error so I contacted Customer Service (note, there isn't really such a place at Capital One, it only serves "CapitalOne") anyway I talked with "Zoe", a rep. I told Her my problem, (she could barely communicate with me) she said it was just Company policy due to the slowdown in their business, I asked to talk to a supervisor, a person name of "Vicky" came on the line said, the same thing, I asked to talk with Her supervisor, she said she was the boss and I just had to accept it (the higher rate) that there was nothing I could do about it, and no one else to talk to... She said I was notified in February that the rate was going up, and that I had 'till 3/31/07 to opt out of their program. I went back to my paper statement and sure enough the notice was there... I read the notice wherein it says, "your new rate for "purchase balances", will be @9.90%... since all of my balance was a transferred balance and NOT a purchase,I thought that there was nothing I needed to do, as I was told in writing when I transferred these balances, my rate would be 4.99% 'till paid in full.

Incidentally,their "opt out program,says you must agree not to purchase or make any more charges to your account and you can continue to pay off the account at your present rate,and when it is paid in full they cancel the credit card... is that really "opting out"??? When I asked if I could opt Out on this date 4/10/07, since I haven't charged anything in over two years,I was told by "Vicky", that it was too late., there was nothing I could do... not thats what Capital one calls,"CUSTOMER SERVICE", it's customer "NON SERVICE".

I plan on writing the attorneys General of Texas and file a complaint, don't know what good it will do, but I'll copy to: My state Senator & My congressman, as well as any place on line that I can find...

Thanks so much for letting me vent on your site
    Respectfully,
    Wm.O.Smith

Apr 18, 2007

I also am having problems closing out my Capital One account.

I had to call them 3 times, the first time I was disconnected; the second time they said their system was down; the third time they agreed to close the account only after I threatened to file a complaint against them.

Then they said it would take 30 days to close the account, even though there is a zero balance. After reading all the horror stories on-line about this same problem, I am concerned that the account won't be closed out. I guess now I have to wait 30 days to see what happens. What I am hearing is that Capital One slams you with "fees" and hikes your rates once you request closure. This has to be against the law.

Marilyn

Apr 18, 2007

Wow. That's some shady business practice. My "4.99% fixed interest rate" jumped to 9.90% as well. I remember getting a letter for Capital One saying the rate was going up. I thought that was just for new purchases. I bought some furniture items for the house and found my entire balance jumped from 4.99% to 9.90%. I didn't know about this "opt out program" because I didn't take the time to read the fine print. I have a pretty good credit rating and get credit card mail all the time. If I took the time to read it all, I wouldn't have any free time. Had I known that the entire balance was going to nearly double unless I opted out, I would have done so. They should have made that perfectly clear on that jumbled mess of information they send out. I guess I should've done my homework. They pulled a fast one on me and I suppose there's nothing I can do about it now. I will, however, never use the card again. Soon, my car (loan also through Capital One) will be paid in full. I will use that money to vigorously pay down this account and never deal with the company again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. With me, you don't get a second chance. When paid off, Capital One will never see another dime of my money.

Apr 23, 2007

I too just noticed my Capital One credit card's Fixed Rate of 4.99% nearly doubled to 9.90%. I opened the account to make a balance transfer from a higher interest rated credit card and I never paid one Capital One bill late. I am dismayed as to how credit card company can advertise a fixed rate of 4.99% and then quietly raise it. I called Capital One to find out why my so called "fixed rate" was increased I was immediately transfered to the supervisor, a woman named Cindy. She told me that " I see you have paid all your bills on time, but we had to raise rates because the Prime Lending Rates increased." I argued first of all that I opened the account because the rate was locked at 4.99% and asked her why todays rates should affect a loan (a balance transfer) on monies borrowed two years ago. Unable to respond with reason to my logic, she quickly offered to reduce my rate to 8.90% interest, which is only slightly higher than todays Prime Lending Rate, and then offered the patronizing question "Is there anything else I can help you with today?" I am appalled that banks can get away with this. I too am in Texas and will file complaints with the Attorney Generals Office, as well as my Senator, Congressman, the FTC, BBB, whoever will hear me.

May 19, 2007

I paid off my Capitol One Account in 2004 and closed my account and to this date 5-18-07 I received a bill saying my account is open again billing me a membership fee. I called them and they verified they have not sent me a credit card that the last one sent was in 2004, but they say I reopened it with no signature this March and I asked them to close it again and send me an email they refused, and said it would come in ten days, of course I do not trust that will happen, what can I do.

Jun 01, 2007

I have also had an issue with Capital One's rate going from 4.99% to 9.99% recently. The original offer was 4.99% until the balance was paid off. I do not understand how Capital One can get away with this! My payments have never been late. I contacted them and credit services indicated that the company had made a decision to increase everyone's rate by 5%. I mentioned to them that I receive many notices in the mail for lower rates and would be promptly transferring my funds, which I did. To make things worse, I received another solicitation in the mail from Capital One offering a 4.99% fixed APR for life.

• S
      Jun 01, 2007

I too have had terrible customer service experience with Capital One. My father, who is deceased, left a credit balance on his card. They sent him to collections. As representative of his estate, I had to fight with CO third party collection vendor to convince them CO owes my father's estate, not the other way around. CO continues to delay the release of funds after doing all that was asked of me as personal representative.

They are a terrible giant in the industry and it is unfortunate that they continue to grow despite their tremendous service short comings. I will certainly never be there customer.

Jun 08, 2007

I have had an account with Capital One for several years at 9.9% and have always paid ahead of time with more than the required amount due. I also have good credit ( So I'm a little jealous of those of you with the lower rate). I just discovered they increased my APR to 16.9% for no apparent reason. I called and got (Mark) with some story about them raising everyone's interest rate because of current market increases etc.etc. and that it in no way reflects on my credit history etc.etc.

Then they suggest I could talk to someone who might be able to reduce the rate after all. This person (Cameron) says he can lower it to 15.9%! After finding this site, and reading these complaints, I'm glad I didn't threaten to close the account. I guess you won't have to ask me what's in my wallet anymore. I better pay this off fast. Who can we trust anymore?

• B
      Jun 26, 2007

I received a call from Capital One's "fraud unit" in February 2007. They said that someone had tried to use my card on a German web site. They said they were going to cancel my card, which had a 5.90% interest rate, and would send me a new card, which they did. Then I got my statement for the new card and saw that they had raised my rate to 10.90%. I called them to complain and have them revert my rate back to 5.90%. They said that it was just a "coincidence" that my old card was misused and that they had to send me a new card and that the new, higher interest rate was their new policy and that they had notified me on my January statement. I looked on my January statement and there was no such notification. I think they made up the fraudulent activity on my card just so they could raise my rate. I will be reporting this to the FTC and California Attorney General.

• B
      Jul 02, 2007

Same story as everyone else, paid off the card & no new charges, 15 yrs with a rate of 6.99% never a late payment, now 11.9%. If this is how a long term customer is treated, I will not to business with them any longer.

I guess their new plan is high risk, high default, high interest card holders.

Good luck with that capital one

Jul 23, 2007

You can also go to clark howard's web site and find out what the government is doing about Capital One. I also had problems and continue to. After being late twice in one year (not past 30 days) my rate went up to 28.15%. I've had the card since 1994 and I've been late before, but they never jumped it up like that. Thats because this time we had a 12,000 balance on it! My finance charge went from 30.00 to 343.00!! When I closed the account out and paid it all off a few days later, my credit score went from 751 to 669 !! In just a few days. Capital One is involved according to my identity thief program, so I'm working on correcting that now. I've never in my life had a low credit score!

I re-opened my account (by using the card for a small purchase) because that way my credit score will actually increase after I get this mess straightened out. I'm just not going to EVER use the card again. Also thank to Kerry above, I'm going to be writing my representatives of the state.

Again, go to Clark Howards site and you'll see some other dirty pool Capital One is doing.

Sincerely,
    Dian R.

Aug 01, 2007

I got a notice that my rate would be going from 8.9 fixed to 15.9Variable. I have never been late and have a great credit record. I am no where near the max on the card. About 1000 dollars on a Ten thousand dollar limit.

I called and went through the same motions that you guys did and was basically told that there was nothing they could do and they were sorry to be losing my business. Strange... Ive been a Captial One customer for years and they always get paid on time and I keep my balances under control. Yet they are willing to lose the 8.9% they were getting, from someone who actually pays their bills, to another company. I will NEVER do business with them again and I will make sure word of mouth gets around.

• W
      Aug 03, 2007

I have three credit cards with capital one, two that have a rate of 14.9 and one at 19.9, i received a notice last week that one credit card will be going up to 19.9, i called capital one and asked them if my other credit cards will be going up also. They told me no and today i just received another notice that my other 14.9 credit card is going up to 19.9. So now i should be expecting the third one at 19.9 to go up to 24.9. It seems to me they do it in increment of 5, according to other web postings i have seen. If anyone has any suggestions on where i can write to congress or anyone who cares please help me. I don't think we should take this corporate greed anymore!

• F
      Aug 04, 2007

For ten years they were quite good, 4.99% or not. Last year I received the notice about changing their practices for my 4.99% charge card. For some reason, they never materialized but for the cash transaction percentage, which I never use. However, I went to a zero balance, waiting to see what happens. This month it went from 4.99% to 13.9% with a minimum percentage possible, after negotiating, to 9.9%. I was NEVER late, 800's credit score, EVERY payment to all credit accounts on time for as long as I can remember.

Doubling my percentage was the best they could do? It was a punishment, I felt. No excuses suffice. I canceled the card immediately. Then, I was forced to do this "opt-out" thing. Even asked what it was and why could they not just cancel. I was immediately transferred to the voice mail box that does the opt out.

Um - yeah, you people have now caused me some worry. But, again I'll wait and see. Hopefully two months will go by without incident, and I will receive a closing letter. I am not counting on it, though. But I so hate hiring lawyers to do stupid stuff like this.

If anyone does not immediately cancel ANY COMPANY that doubles their rates/charges, if they are financially able, then they must like to be abused. For whatever reason, upon congressional hearings on credit card abuse, when a company becomes worse in its usary practices, then NO trust can be achieved or given to that company, in my opinion. Why would anyone even consider using their services, unless they had to? To say this type of business dealings causes me fear and loathing of credit card companies is an understatement. I was not even hurt, in the least, yet, to my knowledge! Do you think their practices will get better, now or in the future? I am thinking not.

The only way I have successfully impacted companies using abusive practices, though it seemed extremely minor of impact at the time, was to be part of large group of fed up customers and cancel all dealings with the old BofA, Citi and Providian - all, including loans, credit cards and any banking facilities. AND LET THEM KNOW IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that their abusive conduct is what initiated the closure of your business. Contacting government agencies has not worked for me, at all, except for cable companies - regulators can actually cause them damage, not like financial institutions.

If anyone knows what changed in the management of this company, I'm sure all would be curious to know about it.

Aug 18, 2007

I had almost the same thing happen to me. In 2004 transferred $20,000 to a FIXED FOR LIFE 5.9% APR. Received noticed last month that it is now going to 15.99%. I have NEVER been late and ALWAYS pay above the minimum. I have been damaged because I now have to go out and get another credit card from a different company which means my "available" credit goes up along with my credit score going down due to a potential "debt-to-income" ratio factor. Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit against Capital One for bait and switch. It's a little strange to have one of the banners on this site be for Capital One!!! (what's with that?)

Aug 19, 2007

Kerry: One Capital One Credit Card Co. Wow! I was going to let the issue go, but after reading your comments, I don't think I will. Heres my story.
    About 3 wks. ago, I noticed I was paying 28.15% int. Well you can imagine my surprise since I've had a rate of 5.90 since 1994 and also have excellent credit, 750 - 796. When I called they said it was because I was late twice in the last 12 months. Huh? They said they sent a letter letting me know my int. rate was going up to 28.15%. I never got any letter. I been late 2 times in past years as well, but the difference was: past balances over the years have never really been over $1000 or so. This year my balance was $12,000, I paid $343.00 in finance charges!! They got me when my balance was high on purpose. One of the 2 times I was late was over 30 days late (barley) my father-in-law had gotten sick and passed away that month. They reported to the 3 credit bueuras a past 30 day. I called upset and they changed it to "account paid as agreed" with a week.

Well after the rate increase to 28% I paid off the balance of $12,000 and ask to close the account! We'll what da ya know, my good credit score of 751, went down to 669. I don't know what they did, but I'm working on it. They also kept my acct. open, but I'm glad they did.

Kerry - DO NOT CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT!! just never use the Capital One credit card again, having a card that long helps your credit scores. Closing the acct. is only going to hurt you. Capital One also does not report your credit limit. Why? because have a low credit limit hurts your credit score. They want you to stay with them. What you can do is charge some really big things, mortgage, etc. and get the card almost to the limit, then pay it off. The credit bueaus will automatically put the high amt. as your limit.

I'm going to write to my senators as well and do whatever I can to show people how Capital One cheats the average American.

I'm going to put a sign on my back windshield (I live in Anaheim, CA) saying something to the effect: IF YOU HAVE CAPITAL ONE??? YOU HAVE TROUBLE!

Please do not let up on them, I won't. As a matter of fact, I am going to fax a letter to some of the AM Talk radio shows.

Warmly, Dian

• A
      Aug 19, 2007

I have serious and harmful experience with Capital One currently. I live in San diego, Ca. and please help me find out which government officials or agencies I should send my complaint letter. I strongly agree with your idea of putting a sign on back windshield. Where do I get the sign, or shall I just make my own sign? I think we should be uniform on the sign wordings. Please respond. Many thanks , Dian.

Sep 01, 2007

My wife and I have had the same experience. We have been with capital one for years never late on any payments on our two cards. We received the same notice to opt out . They were also going to double our interest rate not only on new purchases made after the opt out date but on current balance. Of course this has to happen when our balance is the highest it's ever been in years!! When we called to see if they would lower the rate we were able to get it knocked down to 14.99%. They said it was the best they could do! We will be paying both cards off as soon as we can but not closing our accounts since all the horror stories out there!! How is this not a criminal act. If my wife and I did this to our customers we would be in jail!!!

Sep 28, 2007

I own a business and paided for credit card protection
    in the cards where in my name,when my business closed
    they deninied my claim ,said because i was selfemployed
    they would not honor claim until,i got a job,so capitol one
    has comitted ,fraud,because they got my money,and
    diskrimation because i was self employed.i still looking for job.

Oct 20, 2007

I just noticed that my rate went up from 9.9% to 19.9%!! I thought it was a misprint at first till I realized that this has been my rate for AT LEAST the last 6 months. I called Customer Service but they can't tell me when it changed. From searching online it seems that they sent out a notice telling me about the increase that would begin in March 2007. Apparently I missed that with all of the other junk they send me.... Anyway - I am appalled that they could change the rate like that without speaking with me or getting some kind of active acknowledgment. Doubling my rate (which in my case costs me hundreds extra per month) by simply not hearing from me to cancel my account is absolutely criminal.

They will no longer get any of my business. And I have been doing business with them since 1992 (Got me right out of college...). Even if they lowered my rate back to non-Department-Store levels, I still would never be able to trust them again. Absolutely unbelievable...

Nov 12, 2007

Hello all,

I have had a capital one no hassle card for five years. A few months ago, I noticed that my FIXED for life apr doubled! I called, and was told that I was mailed the opt out notice (never received) and now it was too late. I threw a fit, and they pretty much said too bad. I'm sure, since they have access to my whole life by some stupid law, they know I do not have the means to fight back. This is so unfair, isn't there something I can do? I am just a broke graduate student trying to survive, and getting kicked around by the credit card companies really hurts. I believe they did not make an attempt to notify me, as they must by law, and that a serious attempt to notify me would involve more than one means (ie. telephone, email, and mail). Does anyone know anything about class action lawsuits, and how to start one, or even who to check with to see if they have broken the law?

Nov 13, 2007

I completely agree that Capital One is a terrible company! They go out of their way as a business to make it time-consuming and difficult to cancel an account, probably hoping that people with limited time on their hands will just get frustrated or impatient and give up trying. I also think having this card does damage to one's FICO score. Third, redeeming awards through Capital One is absolutely NOT hassle free! So, bottom line: GET RID OF your Capital One credit card(s).

Nov 15, 2007

Wow, look at the response.

I went through many of the same issues regarding the account closure situation with Capital One.

In my case they tried to charge me $130 dollars in fees on a $900 balance in less than three months. They also moved my due date up one week each month for two months in a row from the 10th to the 7th to the 2nd. They know that I pay every month at about the same time (hmm). I decided to pay the account off and close it.

Apparently unlike auto or home loans the payoff process with credit card companies is very different. On a vehicle/home loan the lender is required to provide an exact payoff amount and make it valid at that amount for a few days. Not so with Credit Card companies. They give you some arbitrary number close to wheat the real payoff is then they say something like "sir we're not sure what the amount will actually be." Reading between the lines that is code for - sir we will be keeping your account open to charge you some more ridiculous fees and cause you frustration indefinitely. When you call us and make it through our ridiculous phone system we will treat you like you are 10 years old, and charge you some more fees, but the last thing we will be doing is closing your account THANK YOU FOR USING CAPITAL ONE.

Here is an idea: push through legislation that forces the credit card companies to provide payoffs that are good for a few days (no hidden anything).

• A
      Nov 17, 2007

I also opted out of the huge increased interest rate on my Capital One card. When I went to the web site to pay my bill, as I have for the past several years, I found I no longer had access. After spending over one hour on the phone, bouncing from Nika to Aaron to Mac and finally to account manager Linda, I was informed that Capital One has a new policy whereby those who opted out of having an increased interest rate and are paying off the balance with no additional use of the card will no longer have web access to their accounts!

I consider this unfair, unethical and discriminatory business practice. I am reporting this to the Texas State Attorney General, and will pursue this until Capital One is forced to treat customers--people--fairly. I also immediately transferred the balance to another card so I no longer have to deal with them personally.

KEEP UP THE PRESSURE ON CAPITAL ONE!!!

• P
      Nov 21, 2007

If you can't get something straight at Capital One, call their outside attorney Bill Boland at [protected] [McGuire Woods] and tell him to fix it. Keep calling him until it gets straightened out.

Dec 03, 2007

I applied for a 0% interest credit card for balance transfers. When I received my first bill not only was there an interest rate that shouldn't be there they also had the utter audacity to affix a late fee to my first bill. No one could explain to me how I could have a late fee when I just received my first bill. I spoke to a rep who first tried to tell me that I owed an interest rate because there was a late fee attached to my account because when their billing cycle coincided with my first statement it was late. I said that I thought that was amazing since I received the bill only 23 weeks after applying for the card and it didn't matter when their billing cycle occurred, that the due date was still int eh future and since it was my first payment it is impossible for me to have a late fee. After spending 1 1/2 on the phone I was told that the charges would be waived as a "courtesy" and I told them, "What you've done isn't a courtesy- it would be a kindness to say that you are rectifying an error but it seems more like Capital One's new business practice to cheat its customers." Anyway Capital One "waived" the fees in question and I thought the problem was solved until I got my second bill today. There is another 13.74 %financial charge. I'm furious I transferred a balance from a 7.99 % credit card because Capital One offered me 0% for a year and now they are trying to charge me 13.99% for something that was supossed to be 0%. I'm writing my senators and congressman as soon as I'm done writing this. Anyone interested in a class action lawsuit. If so, count me in!

• R
      Dec 09, 2007

My question, since we have all been screwed over and cheated by this company, has anyone initiated a class action suit against them, and if so, how can I join it?

Dec 18, 2007

I too have been an 8 year customer of Capital One. I have a large limit and enjoyed a low "fixed" rate of 7.9% as well. I even purchased my car on my credit card for the fact that the interest rate was SOOOO low the auto fiance organizations couldn't match it; so I carry a rather high balance. One day I receive a statement showing that my available credit has been cut in half; total available credit is only $100 more than the actual balance I owe AND my interest rate had been increased to 27.9%!!! The interest in that cycle was enough to put me OVER the limit they arbitrarily reduced me to causing me overlimit fees. So now my spotless credit report shows a maxed out card with overlimit indicators!!!

I called to speak with customer service and they advised that these changes were due to no fault of my own. The company had simply decided to modify my terms and conditions.

Wish I had a good lawyer! The fact that they can get away with this is ridiculous! Now the problem is I am having difficulty finding another card to transfer the balance to, due to the damages capital one has envoked on my credit.

• T
      Dec 28, 2007

i have a small account which i will close with Capitol One.I am having a problem with them crediting my payment on time.I saw someone on TV saying that this is a common practice with them,holding the payment past the due date so they can charge a late charge.I have already contacted the FTC and will also contact the office of the Attorney General

Jan 04, 2008

I am beyond upset. I am currently going through the same experience of trying to close my Capital One account. A paid off my bill in August of 2007 and every month I have recieved a bill in the mail stating that I owe them money. Each month that I have recieved a bill on my "closed account", I have spoken with a different rep who would tell that he or she has put a zero balance in my account and that the account should be closed but then again the next month I would recieve a bill. It's now January 2008 and for the past 3 days in addition to asking for my account to be closed, I've also asked to recieve a letter stating that my account balance is zero and closed. Each time the rep would agree to my request and arrange for the letter to be faxed to me, but when I get the letter, it states something totally different than what I've asked them to send me. The letter tells me that the account will be closed when the balacne reaches zero, instead of stating that the account is already closed with a zero balance. It's as if they are playing games with me. I get the rep's ID number but when I call back they tell me that it is impossible for them to reach that same rep because they don't have a specific number. Just today a rep told me that instead of the last rep putting a zero balance on my account, she charged me $91 instead. How can these things happen legally. Everytime I get a bill in the mail I feel like I'm being harrassed. I can't believe that I have so little protection as a consumer. Who can I call to fight this?

Jan 04, 2008

Let's start compiling a list of representatives we have talked with.

Here's mine:
    Dec. 24, 2007
    Account Specialist Tina YXA095
    Accredited the total balance of $66.46 back to the account so that it can be closed.
    Call Ended 4:15pm

Jan. 02, 2008
    Manager Jordan HVK926
    Agreed to correct the account to reflect a zero balance and to fax me a letter confirming that the account was closed with a zero balance. Jan. 03, 2008- recieved a letter stating that the account will be closed when the balance is zero. (LETTER DID NOT CONFIRM THAT THE ACCOUNT WAS ALREADY AT A ZERO BALANCE AND THAT THE ACCOUNT IS CLOSED)

Jan. 03, 2008
    Sales Rep: QCL162 and Senior Manager James AEL514
    Agreed to correct the account to reflect a zero balance and to fax me a letter confirming that the account was closed with a zero balance. Jan. 04, 2008- recieved a letter stating that the account will be closed when the balance is zero. (LETTER DID NOT CONFIRM THAT THE ACCOUNT WAS ALREADY AT A ZERO BALANCE AND THAT THE ACCOUNT IS CLOSED).

Jan. 04, 2008 (today)
    Manager: Claire GOE396
    Agreed to correct the account to reflect a zero balance and told me to call back on Tuesday Jan. 08, 2008 to request a letter confirming that the account was closed with a zero balance. She also indicated that the last rep. put a charge of $91 instead of putting the account at a zero balance a closing it. Also on an occasion of speaking with rep. and requesting the zero balance and for the account to be closed, that instead I was charged $40 twice.

Jan 04, 2008

Capital One needs to start hiring better educated personnel. Both of the 'ethnically diverse' employees there were speaking some 'Jive' form of english. What a joke. I thought Capital one was a pretty good company until I ended up speaking to these two 'ethnically diverse' employees. I didn't get the name of the first employee, but I did get the name of the second..."anthony"...probably goes by "gangsta" or "tone loc" on the street...either way...both employees that i spoke to in the fraud department are probably high school drop outs. Oh...in case 'Anthony' ever reads this...dude...do the world a favor...get back to your first job of picking cotton or cookin' up french fries at popeyes and quit making the world of capital one a place "Ignorant" people like you as your place of squatting. Anthony...Enjoy your time in prison...after all...80 percent of people like you have been there! Loser.

• E
      Jan 07, 2008

I would like anyone who is interested in filing a class action against Capitol One contact me @ my e-mail address or call and leave a message. My attorney (friend) said to locate an attorney who specializes in this and make contact. I'm currently doing this as we speak. My #[protected] and e-mail [protected]@sbcglobal.net.
    My major complaint is about a stop payment check on my credit card that they sent through. Then after a six month dispute..turned over a neg. report on my credit without going through collections. This has been going on for a year and a half. So if you have had a same kind of problem...please contact me so we can start legal proceedings. Thanks Esther.

• R
      Jan 18, 2008

Capital One arbitrarily changed the due date on a flawless credit card with top- end credit ratings; so that I only had a few days to pay for a $92 payment . I gave them a $500 payment the previous month, when only a $100 one was required. Large over-payments from me to Capital One have been typical since the 10 years that I have been with them.There are No lates! I believe the motivations were political and connected with the February 5, 2008 primary to be held in CA and possibly elsewhere. They wanted to know if I was "spread too thin", they hung up on me for over an hour, refused to let me talk to an account supervisor, slurred their English , as if the account supervisor was mentally ###ed. There also was a convience check on the staement, although I have not used the card or their checks for nearly four months. I said it might be a late charge and I needed confirmation on the check. They immediately hung up and started playing both funny and obnoxious music! I wish to clear this up with a responsible corporate executive and let him handle any employee problems! Appointments with professionals who depend on this card , and that involve thousands of dollars, will immediately be cancelled.

Jan 23, 2008

I work for Capital One as a customer service representative for our credit card division for personal accounts and I remember when the 'change in terms' for the apr came out last year. Capital One told their representatives about this about three days before the population started calling in saying it would only effect the undesired customers that were not 'retainable.' Capital One outsources as well. I do not live in the United States. All around the world there are different countries that handle the customer service calls. When you get a supervisor on the line it is not a Capital One employee, it is merely my supervisor whose job is to make sure that we give you accurate information no matter how harsh it sounds by following Capital One's criteria and they will only get on the line to enforce it as well. They will also tell you there is no one to speak with above them other than an account specialist who will be in another country. We are not given the phone numbers for Capital One's heads of staff. Sometimes, about twice a year they will come into the building in which we work to make sure our stats are impressive. Our stats consist of how much we can sell, how short we can keep the calls and how much money we can generate for the company. We do not make comission and we hardly make enough to take care of ourselves. When you call in to close an account our job is not to argue with you and to just close the account. When someone calls me to close an account I will do it no questions asked because I know that you're probably better off without it. If I try to help out your financial situation by getting you in touch with people that may be able to help you when I am not supposed to I will get disciplined for it. If you would like to speak with an American representative or account supervisor for Capital One this is the only number that I'm given. I'm not allowed to share it to customers at work. [protected]. This department cannot transfer calls out to anyone else and they have full access and resources for fixing accounts so you will not have to speak with parties from other departments. They are the only direct Capital One employees I know of.

The only reason why I work this job is to put myself through school. I have been there 13 months in total. Also when you call in to close an account and are afraid charges are still going to come through for subscriptions please just ask to have the account restricted prior to the close procedure. Your account will close within the passing of one full billing cycle and no charges will disrupt this process.

Jan 23, 2008

I just went through the exact same situation as Kerry spoke of in her 2007-03-26 posting. I closed my Capital One credit card in October of 07. I paid my balance on the phone with a representative and then closed the account. Before getting off the phone with her, I had her confirm that I owed nothing more on the card and the account was indeed closed. I cut up the card with scissors and went on with my life....

I come home from work yesterday and see something that looks very much like a bill from Capital One. I open it up and see it's a collections notice from Capital One telling me I owe them 40 dollars and the balance has not been paid in over 90 days so it has been reported to the Credit Bureau.

After getting bounced around to various customer service representatives, I come to find out that Capital One's own Payment Protection Plan service had been continuing to ding the card for a few cents/month which re-opened the account AFTER I CLOSED IT! With all the late fees and charges they had racked up a $40 balance and reported me to the credit bureau! Unbelievable!

I come to find out that, although the Payment Protection Plan is operated by Capital One, it has to be closed separately from the account or they will CONTINUE TO CHARGE THE CARD AFTER THE ACCOUNT IS CLOSED BY THE CUSTOMER! Not only is this a deceptive business practive and complete racket to keep people from closing their accounts, it's a serious security issue with their cards. What it basically means is a Capital One account is never really closed. If a cardholder closes the account, all it takes is a charge to open it up again. Someone can get ahold of your account number and start racking up a balance even though you have closed the account! In this day and age of widespread credit fraud I am absolutely shocked that Capital One would allow such a thing to occur.

Something needs to be done to stop this type of abuse and sloppy, deceptive practices by these companies.

capital one credit card
    www.2getcreditcard.net

Jan 26, 2008

Dear Jake,

This is Kim Chen. Payment Protection isn't a Capital One product. It is a Stonebridge product. When we read you disclosures for the close account process we ask that you stop all reoccuring charges so the account will close within a full billing cycle. It's stupid, I know. Everybody, when you call in to have your Capital One account closed please ask a representative to restrict the account first. This is very important. Capital One has covered their bases here and a simple court procedure would be thrown out due to this.

The number you want to call again, is [protected]

Feb 20, 2008

I too am having trouble closing my account. I had a zero balance for months and filled out their paperwork to close the account in September 07. They wouldn't close the account until I had a zero balance for three more months! Naturally a yearly charge I didn't think about came through in November from turbotax. When I called Capital One in December I had a zero balance. Then the fun began. I started getting bills with the yearly fee, late penalties and interest for the $48.00 turbotax charge. I called Turbotax and gave them a different credit card number and they said they would refund the Capital One charge and charge the new card. That never happened and I wouldn't be surprised if Capital One rejected it. This continued throughout January and now February. Finally the kind people at Turbotax have simply refunded the $48.00 to Capital One card. However, Capital One continues to call almost hourly, they say the balance is now over $200.00 and it was my responsibility to cancel and recurring charges. Why would they accept a charge on a closed account? I have demanded they close the account with a zero balance. They are threatening to ruin my credit score, etc. I have filed a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and would like to take any other action possible. This is pure greed and bullying. I had that card for over 10 years with an excellent history, and yet this is their idea of customer service. I also had an experience of paying on their website years ago at one minute past their arbitrary deadline of 3pm and was charged a late fee.

• E
      Feb 29, 2008

this company charged me 14.95 without my consent...i haven't even visited whatever site this is. see a lot of complaints with no results...i hope i can get something out of this. like my money back!!