Capital One Credit Card Companyfraud business practices!

K

I am seeking to file a complaint against Capital One Credit Card Company for fraudulent practices. I have also contacted my congressperson and both California Senators in writing. I will also copy this complaint to all consumer websites (the internet is a wonderful thing), The Attorney General of Virginia, the Commissioner of Financial Institutions as well as CNN, Sixty Minutes, Primetime and anyone else I can think of who can speak out against this type of egregious behavior. I know it's hard for the media conglomerates to step forward and dig deeper when their advertising revenue comes from companies like Capital One. However, after watching some of the hearings in Washington last week against banks and credit card companies charging excessive fees to their customers, I felt compelled to finally express my frustration for the hard working tax payers of this country and to ask Capital One’s CEO, Richard Fairbank to stop abusing your customers.

For the past six months I have attempted to close one of my three Capital One Credit Card Accounts. My husband has one for business, I have a family use card and the one I’m attempting to close since October 2006, was my business credit card. I no longer have the business and therefore had no need for a third card. We have been Capital One cardholders for many years and have always enjoyed a low interest rate of 9.9% on all three of our cards, due to our good credit... until I attempted to close my business card in late October 2006. That’s when things changed.

On October 27th, 2006 I called Capital One and asked for a payoff on the the card. I promptly paid the balance. I received confirmation of payment. I then followed up once the check was cashed and asked that they close the account. They did not close the account. They continued to accept miscellaneous charges from Sports Illustrated Renewal, Amazon and now this month a Consumer Reports annual renewal notice. None of these charges was authorized or approved by me and all of these companies refunded me the money. However, as a result of these three separate charges, Capital One continued to charge me 28.1 % over the course of five months, until the time these money were refunded to me. I called Capital One and asked them to reimburse me for the finance charges and finally they did do that after three phone calls; it's not about the money, it's about the principle.

I have written a letter to Capital One and have made numerous phone calls to try and close account, to no avail. Today, March 16th, 2007 the account is still open, despite Capital One promising me on the phone they would not accept any more charges to my account. They must be making quite a tidy profit off of this practice: customer calls in to close account, take their rate up to triple what it was, let those monthly reoccurring charges flow in (because no customer can recall all of them), and Capital One has a huge revenue stream of profit coming in (thanks to the Actuary who figured this out).

Because I no longer have the card in my possession (I cut it up after my final payment) I cannot even access my statements online because I don’t have an expiration date and they can’t give it to me over the phone. I actually have to order a new card in order to get the expiration date in order to get online and review my statements. Today I called to ask for my last six months statements and I was told it was $3.00 per statement! It seems that every time I try to correct this situation, Capital One is charging me again. Now I can see why the CEO of Capital One, Mr. Fairbank, has made close to 500 million dollars over the past five years (that’s right, 100 million per year!). I’m appalled at the transparent and aggressive tactics used by the CEO, Richard Fairbank, to generate revenue and profits, at the expense of so many loyal customers. I wonder if Capital One shareholders would approve of such tactics knowing the CEO is consuming a large chunk of the profits via his salary?

My goal is simply to close the above mentioned account and have confirmation of this in writing. Today I spoke with two different customer service reps for Capital One Michael ID #QSJ941 and his supervisor Joaell ID #JKW464. Both informed me that Capital One cannot close an account until 30 days to make sure there are not re-occurring charges. After five years of having this card, this is a lot to try and remember. I couldn’t possibly remember what magazines I signed up for a year or two ago and what month they are about to expire. The lesson I learned from all of this is don’t use Capital One-ever!.

Sincerely,
Kerry.

• Nd
    ndy Braun Aug 31, 2016

Uscapitalloans promised be a loan in the amount of $4000 if I pay $400 for fees. They even sent
    me document that looked like original. Only after I was scammed and got no loan I looked through
    the document carefully and found many slips. I want to get my money back! Please help!

• Ed
    Edge Aug 23, 2016

Capital One needs help training their customer service representatives! My husband and I are consolidating credit card accounts. We each elected to close one personal credit card each. I chose my Capital One card because it has the highest interest rate although it is my most seasoned account; mainly because they refused to lower the rate to beat the other two cards I currently hold. Upon paying off the entire balance and calling to request the account be closed, I was given quite the sales pitch about this being a terrible thought. The kid basically gave me a lecture on banking. I interrupted him, nicely, to let him know the choice had already been made and I already understood the principles of closing seasoned accounts and still wanted to close this account. He then rattled off the policies about closing accounts and hung up on me. After being a card holder for 8 years and constantly paying each bill on time, I still got the boot in the butt on the way out the door. What's in my wallet? A credit card from the nice folks at my local Credit Union. Screw Capital One.

• Ri
    Rituse Aug 23, 2016

I’m writing today in hopes of receiving help due to capital one credit card company has committed fraud during the worst time in my life and i’m confused how these credit card companys seem to be able to do whatever they want to do to you without consequence.

I called requesting credit protection on my card. I was hospitalized from 1-28-10 thru 2-24-10 (approx).. I died 3 times and the doctors told my family that he didn’t have much hope in me surviving. I had mrsa and septic shock which caused my organs to start shutting down because they weren’t receiving enough blood to keep them alive, same thing with my brain, the reason im left with short term memory loss. I had to learn to walk, eat, speak and remember things about myself and my family.

It was a very hard time. I still have a lot of trouble walking and squatting and bending forward, along with memory issues, i have to write down everything and even thats hard because i cant remember how to spell some of the easiest words, its embarrassing.. I walk like im drunk all the time and have slow speech so everyone thinks im drunk all the time.

Before all this happened to me, my profession was a physical therapist assistant for 15 years..

Well getting to the fraud issue…..I called capital one credit card company to activate my credit protection. Me and my husband just couldn’t pay all the bills without me being able to work. So i called and this young lady by the name of karlie answered my call.. I was so confused after getting off the phone with her that i wrote down what was said to me by her, here it is……”your credit protection was cancelled by you on 1-28-10″. Then she asked when did i become disabled. I replied, 10/09/09. She said, ” well your credit protection wasnt even put on your card until after that so you dont qualify for it anyway”.I replied, ” well if i didn’t have credit protection then how did i cancel it on [protected]? And better yet, how did i cancel it while i was lying in a coma in the hospital? She had nothing to say. This was 7/10/2012 at 5:20pm.

• Na
    Nasu Aug 23, 2016

I have been incarcerated for six years. After release I began contacting capitol one. I have been making 50.00 a month payments after 3 x's of asking for documentation of the owed bill and a statement of receipt I've got nothing. I have been getting the run around with this from day one. Now I want to find out my rights in this matter so I can put all this behind me.

• Sh
    Shirley Jane Aug 23, 2016

Will not pay down on cash advance amounts which garner higher finance charges, when payments are sent. I have paid well over the minimum amount for months and the purchase section goes down but not the cash adv. section. I've written, emailed, called C.One and also written the Fed. Reserve (Banking) people...still no satisfactory resolution. This has been going on for months.

• Jh
    J. Haas Aug 23, 2016

This company keeps calling everyday, 3-8 times a day. the # is [protected]. I spoke with a woman & she asked to speak with the owner. I told her he was not available & asked if I could have a name & number to have him call her back. She REFUSED to give me any info. I told her that he would not answer her calls so if it was important she needed to give me that info. She hung up. We want the calls to stop! This is a business & our time is better spent doing business.

• Ng
    ng114la Aug 23, 2016

Has anyone else had this put on their account without requesting it? I am being charged for this with no active memory of ever requesting it in the first place.

• Gw
    Gwendolyn Poindexter Aug 23, 2016

This collection agency sent me this letter, and I called and was told this was for a credit card issued me either in 2001 closed in 2002. At this time I had to take an early retirement to care for my father who passed away in 2005, so between 2002 & 2005 of July I was unemployed. I was told this credit card was a $300. dollar limit with an outstanding rediculous credit rate. However they closed this account in 2000, why thy are now expecting a current balace due of $2, 142.31 even with a $300. limit someone has chose to make quite a profit. I understand now about fraud. This is what our President of the United States is making us aware of. So what are my options, and what was the total amount when they closed this account. I am willing to do what I can, but I am not going to be taken advantage of. Please help! Contact Gwendolyn Poindexter @ 1306 Bissell St., South Bend IN 46617 home #[protected], wk# [protected] E-mail, [email protected]

• Ke
    Keenanc Aug 22, 2016

I have maintained a good business relationship with Capital One for the past 10+ years. Never missing payments, and using my Capital One card all the time. I would even consider myself to be at the top of customers that a company would like to keep. Imagine my surprise when I went to pay my bill and noticed that my Interest Rate Had Doubled! For no apparent reason?? I called their customer service line to find out that I could have declined the change? but now it is too late?? What sense does that make? Is it too late to keep a valued customer?? Heck Yea it is!

• Go
    Gomak Aug 16, 2016

Capital One had the nerve to send out to all of it's loyal customers this ridiculous reason for it's recent rate increases, although it's not word for word since I did throw the little 'advertisement' out, it read something like this: "So, since we are in a economic downturn we are feeling the pinch and regrettably must inform our Capital One Credit card users that we must increase the percentage rate for all" So, I went from 9% on my card to a whopping 21%!!! Are these yo-yo's kidding me or what? What a bunch of B.S.that is, do they really think we consumers are going to buy that line of baloney hook, line, and sinker? They then went on to say that if we don't agree, they will close our accounts and let us pay them off at the 'old' percentage rate! So, in other words, if you don't like it, buzz off! The gall is incredible. I would like to keep the card, just for good credit's sake. I won't use it though for anything other than a $10-20 item every other month, because if you don't use the card for 6 straight months they close your account. Well, now they'll get hardly anything from me except a few pennies on a small purchase. Screw you too Capital One!!!

• Ke
    KeithM Jul 13, 2016

Getting these mails saying I've been approved for credit/credit card and Capital One is the headng - never applied to them and not sure why I have this.

• Ta
    Tampatee May 14, 2016

Capital One restricted my card that I had for 12 years.
    It took 2 hours and 6 people to figure out why.
    Why? They wanted to verify my SS number and my birthdate. Yep. 2 hours and 6 people

• Re
    Reviewer19434 Feb 22, 2016

Some calling from Iowa [protected] called several times saying they would lower my interest rate. They asked for the credit card number and the last four of my ss#, which I gave. I did question him about his validity and he just kept saying he was from capital one, as a representative. He sounded like he was from India and was able to tell me my last payment and then when he got what he wanted he hung up. I immediately had a bad feeling and called the credit card number on the back of my card to report it. Lowering my interest rate was very appealing and that's why I fell for it. Today is 2/22/2016 and it happened around noon eastern standard time.

Marlene Arnhold
    [protected]

• Ka
    Karen nitschke May 22, 2014

To whom this may concern my issue is after 1year 1/2 of me asking them to close my account 3 times they charged me interest rate on my own money and still would not close my account as per so they say that my deposit was used to clear the account. Ontop of me having to dish out another 200 and sum dollars the won't remembers me my money for there mistake it's frustrating for the. Fact that I was told when I got the card that I could cancel it at any point in time why should I pay interest rate when my account should have been closed the first time I called

• Bi
    Bill Donnely Mar 12, 2013

Capital One is the worst. I have been on the opt-out pre-screen credit card offers list for years and only Capital One keeps sending me credit card offers. I have complained to the FTC and Capital One. Somehow they are immune to the law. NEVER TRUST CAPITAL ONE.

• Wi
    Wise. Person Feb 10, 2013

This world isn't concern about people anymore, all they think about is money, money can break you, make you, and kill you...I would rather think about life, pleasing God, and all the other things will be granted to me. Don't waste time on American Express they will get theirs, just leave home without it...

• Wi
    Wise. Person Feb 10, 2013

I recently received an offer from, creditunion workers for a credit card with a 10, 000 limit
    After checking online for complaints; I quickly throw papers away...

• Wr
    wrw1111111111 Jan 17, 2013

Applied for a card, specifically because there was an offer that there would be $0 fee for one year and $19 a year fee following that. They charged me $39 right when the card arrived. They could care less of their advertisment that clearly shows it is a $0 fee. Do NOT apply, I think that is the only thing that can be done. Forget it is a false advertisement.

• Jh
    J. Haas Aug 31, 2012

Funny! You know I have never understood the aggressive marketing tack-ticks. If we want it we will get it.
    Thanks for the advise.

• Du
    Ducky87 Jul 19, 2012

Well, they are different types of cards, even though they are all backed by Capital One, so no, they can't combine them. However, you could shut down some of your newer/less favorite ones, or maybe pay them off in full each month, so you aren't living in debt.

• Do
    dorothy coblentz Jul 19, 2012

recently capital one has acquired other credit cards Ihave. Iam told to continue making my payments as such, however I wonder about all the different interest charges, if they are all now capital one cards now, why cant they combine them all at one interest rate. rather then charge me several different rates on each card ? If I add up each interest rate it is over 300%. Can they do that? My credit is good on each of these cards but it would be easier to combine them all and only pay interest on one, rather then pay all different rates on each card totaling a surmountable amount of interest. What can I do?

• Am
    AMWALTS Feb 14, 2012

I am beyond frustrated with the fact that Capitol One was unable to get me a plate in a timely matter but gave me a hard time when I instructed them to close my account. [protected] has not stopped calling my phone for weeks at least 2-4 times a DAY!!!

• Rr
    rranaw Feb 02, 2012

want my credit card off your records

• 6o
    6oolea Oct 29, 2011

My daughter was out of state working, tried to check the balance on her debit card by phone but did not have the time and amount of the last deposit and they would not help her.She used it 18x at a $35 fine each time.They did not cancel the card or try to call when they saw all the charges were out of state.They said if she had not been such a good customer they would have cancelled the card after about $100. definately after $200. So it pays to be bad!!! Now they call everyday!!!

Charlene Padilla May 07, 2011

Ok so I just got my capital one card a month ago and already I am having big problems with it and already want to get rid of my card. The first month went good payed it off through western union, then the next month came and I went to put money in my bank and called them to pay my payment witch i payed the full 200 dollars not just my minimum payment and i gave the rep my information and had him repeat it to me and everything was correct and he informed me that my funds would be available to me by 8 o clock in the morning the next day so i called the next morning around 8:20 or so in the morning to check if it was in and it said that they had gotten the payment but that i had no available balance and so i called to see why and they first got transfered to a rep and from there transfered me to a supervisor and she had told me she would call my bank to make sure that they cleared the payment so that i can get my funds but while on hold we got cut off and no one called me back so i called again and got a rep again and she informed me that my payment that i had made the day before didnt go through because the information was not put into the computer right so there for my payment was sent back to my bank and that she would clear everything for me but it wouldn't be cleared until midnight so for me to call back the next morning when i had gotten up, so that i can re pay my payment so i did just that only this time i had to only put 60 dollars in the card because i had bills that needed attending to that day not the next otherwise i would be getting a late fee and so i did call and payed the sixty dollars to my capital one and everything was fine they took the payment without any hassle or anything and i payed it online and it said that my funds would be in by the next morning so i did the same thing and called my card when i got up and it said that they had gotten my payment but my card was currently on hold due to some sort of fraud so i stayed on to speak with a rep and they told me that my card would be on hold and that i would not be able to get my funds till i payed the full 200 witch i payed sixty so i would there for have to pay the rest witch is 140 and i let them know that i only got payed once a month and that i needed my money that i put into the card and that it wasn't fair for me to have to pay for one of their mistakes and also no one bothered to call and inform me that, that is what i would have to do i mean come on were is the good customer service at i mean my bank does a better job with customer service then what they did and they said that there was no other way to do it that i would just have to pay the rest and that was it and i really don't see how this is any of my fault because first of all i did not put the wrong information in and i did have them repeat it back to me and it was right when he did so it should have gone right through second like i said no one took the time to inform me that i would have to pay the full amount even though my minimum payment is only 15 dollars so that was another bad on their part showing poor customer service very poor and then when i was trying to get help i didn't feel that they tried very hard at all and now im stuck with no money from my card that i payed and this sucks capital one is the worst credit card company ever !!!

Charlene Padilla ...

• Ox
    oxjr Apr 16, 2011

I am a bit confused, I am pretty sure Cap one does not charge late fees. The charge you state sounds like an over-limit fees. Is your card so close to the limit that interest would have put it over? You need to make sure you have room for your interest charges. The agent is correct that your statement and the online/phone amounts are different because statements are printed monthly and online/phone info is real-time BUT your min payment should be the same and only the TOTAL will be different. I think you need to call back and try to remain calm and figure out out what charges you have incurred and if the first person can't figure it out then politely ask to transfer to a supervisor who has more experience. Cap one is usually pretty good at reversing a charge but they will only do it once (because after you ask for the reversal you should understand why you got the charge and not do the same thing a 2nd time)

hopefully that helps.

maylyn Feb 24, 2011

I purchased a internet business and charged it to my Capital One card. After realizing this was a scam, I disputed the charge with Capital One. A couple of months passed by and I never heard anything from Capital One. I called the company and told them to return my money and that I disputed the charge. They offered to return $2, 500 of my money. I did not know for sure that Capital One was going to return my money, I was afraid not to accept the $2, 500. Losing half of the money was better than all of it. I signed a contract with them stating I would accept the $2, 500. I called Capital One numerous times to close the dispute. Soon after that, Capital One credited my account for $5, 000.00. I had to contact Capital One to tell them I could not accept the money because the company reimbursed me $2, 500 and I signed a contract accepting that. I had to Fax a copy of the contract to Capital One and they informed me that it is not valid because the company did not sign the contract. It only has my signature on it. I called the company and told them this and they are very upset because they are telling me that the contract is valid. Who is right? Also, the company made me send their $2, 500 back to them because Capital One debited their account for $5, 000. Now, Capital One came back closed the disputed charge and debited my account for $5, 000 and I am now out of my $2, 500. The company is very nasty with me and they want me to pay them $2, 500 more. They are telling me that I signed the contract fraudlently and they are now turning it over to their legal department. What grounds do I have here and is the contract a valid contract with only my signature on it?

• Cr
    creditcardssuck Feb 02, 2011

I contacted them to ask why my Interest Rate was raised on a card I always paid on time and why I was never notified, I was told that the interest was raised because of "the economic condition of the country, we need to make money too". I laughed and said did you really say that out loud, and the girl said well its the truth and then went on to tell me about her credit cards...REALLY PEOPLE I DONT GIVE A (*@$)@(*&%^(@ about YOUR credit card, I called about mine!!
    TIME TO THROW AWAY ALL THE CREDIT CARDS!!

• Mj
    MJR 2011 Jan 21, 2011

I received a letter from Capital One on Jan. 20, 2011 informing me that they AUTOMATICALLY increased my credit card spending limit from $2000 to $7000. It was from P. Taylor Jamison, Director of Accounts. It stated, "P.S. Your increase is automatic. You don't nned to do a thing - no phone calls, no forms, no hassles!"

How can a credit card company do this! This is not something I wanted or asked for. Just the opposite. This affects my credit score.

I spent a lot of time on the pohone with Capital One to correct this issue. Not only does the increase affect my credit score, but also the decrease that I requested affects my score. I am truly stunned that they are allowed to do something like this! I felt as if I had been defrauded by them! How dare they mess with my credit worthiness! This is something that should not be permitted! This unrequested "favor" harms me, not helps

The customer service I received from awful - I asked them to send letters to the three credit bureaus to explain the mistake Capital One had made and to keep the information in my files. The agent on the phone asked me the names of the credit bureaus!!! She really made it difficult for me! Of course she knew the names of the credit bureaus!

She told me she sent a letter to the credit bureaus, but that it may take 60-90 days for the correction to take effect in my files with the credit bureaus!

I check my account the next day (Jan. 21, 2011) and the credit limit had not been reduced. When I called Capital One on Jan. 21, I was told that they were not certain that a letter would in fact be sent to the credit bureaus - that it has to go a legal department first!

So I will have my credit score lowered twice, with Capital One doing nothing to rectify the situation!

I am writing this to you to ask you to make sure that Capital One is more aggressive in addressing this for me and QUICKLY fixing my credit score. I am soon going to apply for a mortgage and need a great credti score. The agent's attitude was callous about how long the correction would take place (60-90 days). I am also writings this to make sure that they will not do this again to me. And I am writing to let you know about Capital One's practice of doing this and hopefully they can be stopped. It is a practice that should be stopped..

• Ev
    EvilCreditors Dec 31, 2010

December 31st, 2010 at 16:22
    Boycot American Express

I was a 13 year member / customer of American Express. With A credit score off 800 and decided to open a Import furniture company. American Express did a great job offering me 5 accounts with credit of 150k with low aprs and continued to market me and offer more account. I pay all my debts on time and importing counted on American Express for my container purchases.
    This is what American Express can do for you
    They will offer you loads of great deals, but watch out here is what they did to me.

2 years agog they told me my Gold account ad earned 40k + earned spendatures, then when economy took a turn they quickly lowered it to 22k and said your fico score changed, it hadnt changed until they did this to all 5 account I had with them maxing out my cards making it appear as I was debtited out.
    November 2010 they called me before my cut off date asking for a payment, I stated my cut off date was next week and that no payment was due. They contiinued to beg to set up a payment, I said why are you calling I always paid my debts on time, I paid 65k off in debts this year, she replied oh yes and 25 k off on your account s with us, you are a excellent customer fo 13 years, then said can we set up your next payment. I said no, I will pay it as I always do, the day before my statement date tehy emailed me a letter saying,
    So there are no surprises when using your account we lowered your limit on your gold card t0 1500.00 stay in your limit oor you will be embarassed at checkout.
    I called a supervisor aginwas told my fico score changed, (i ran a crdit report and no changes EXCELLENT CREDIT). Then said if you give us 3 years business taxes maybe we will give you a little bit back, I closed all acount told her she was damageing my acsh flow for my company and importing and it was all or none, meaning work this out or it would cause me into default, she replied your fico score created this …I have my credit report printed and its excellent.
    I had a container departure leaving indonesia and needed it, I had to use the money I would have paid them to get my goods to save my business, I in turn incorporated my business, homesteaded my home to protect me from them. I sent them the Sease & desist letter as I was advised to do so. I sent them a letter to do debt consolidation and immediately they sent me to collections. I now had to do the same thing to their collections whol are very rude. All this at the holidays, I have survived with my company through all the hurdes of the economy and they have made it to almost close my company due to my cash flow. Next on my list is Chase. I am starting my New Year off with the theory “support small Business” never bank or einvest in large companies, minimize doing any sort of business with corporations if there is a company local you can do business with do so.
    If anyone has any ideas or success stores, please email me on my next step with American Express.
    By the way the points they give you, they truely dont give you, MERCHANTS PAY POINTS WHEN YOU USE YOUR CARD AT THEIR BUSINESS. Lets all pay cash and Take these companies down once and for all.

AMERICAN EXPRESS NEEDS TO BE CLOSED!

• Br
    Brick B Nov 30, 2010

We are small business owners in the construction field light commercial mason company, at the end of spring things were very scary and being with capital one for 10 years i thought the right thing to do was call and let them know what is going on just in case, well doing the right thing really can ***, we have been locked out of are account for 6 months they won't give us access. On aug 10th are real scary month i made to payment over the phone for aug and sept but instead we sent them 4000.00 my husband was in the middle of doing a line of credit for are company on aug 18th we called capital one to see if we could use one of the checks they sent us for 3000.00 i was told yes there was no problem but we also confronted them that the company for the line of credit said they had reported us over 30 days for aug the supervisor said to give him 3 days to check and he would get back to us which he never did but on aug 24 my bank called and informed me they sent the check back draining are checking an savings account and in the whole thousands, on aug 25th my bank and i called them the bank manager talked with a supervisor and she said it was a mistake and to take another check it's good no problems and make it for 3500.00 on aug 31st my bank called again they sent the check back again, this time we were hit with late fee's returned fee's again and nobody would do anything they really broke us i'm 100% disabled and no money for my meds, food, they turned off my electric cause i was on a plan i had 5days to come up with 700.00. The worst was we were declined the line of credit, we did receive a letter dated sept 13th that they let the credit company's know but it take about 60 days to come off no one will touch us now I'm leaving a lot out but it has been *** i have called to try and work this out and nothen but they had the nerve to call for my oct payment. They have gotten very sloppy in there notes when you call and it says your being recorded they don't but they have no idea the letters they sent me and i am looking for an attorney and i am going to bury them they expected us to eat all the bank fee's late fee's i still can't even get a amount to what we lost but I'm going for breach of contract 2x's they gave us permission to use the checks and didn't honor, defamation, fair credit reporting act. If anyone of you have the chance to do a settlement do it and run otherwise this is what is going to happen to you we were going to do the right thing cause it was are bill and like i said what did it get us

• Nf
    Nfritz Aug 22, 2010

I received my credit card today and activated in the morning, tried to use it the same day and it was declined. When I called Capital One, they informed me that there was a suposed fraud alert. They instructed me to send in copies of my drivers license, bank statement, utility bill, and my w-2 or 1099.

I thought this was a bit weird. Then I read another post here and another consumer complained about the same thing.

By the evening I called and cancelled the It appears what they are doing is collecting the initial fees that are on the first billing cycle. Then when they review your information, decline access to the card.

This has scam written all over it. This is just one way they are trying to make money off of those with less than good credit.

Please, if you have experienced the same, report it. If it wasn't for someone here taking the time to report this same experience, I would have been victim to the same.
    Damage Resulting = No damage as I cancelled the card immediately. The only reason I am taking the time to report this, is to save others the headache and dissapointment.

• Da
    Dave242 Aug 11, 2010

They sent a change in terms notice in the mail in February of 2009, and the 3 billing statements you would have received prior to this change taking place in May of 2010 would have included a paragraph explaining that your rate would soon be increasing.

There are plenty of practices Capital One have that are terrible however there's no excuse for not reading your mail. It can be important.

• Lh
    lhaley Jun 16, 2010

I paid off my Capital One Credit Card before the due date and was hit with a finance charge of $79. I was told that they could give me a reduction of $20 on this charge. I asked to close out my account and return my credit of $221 which I was told I would get within three business days. Now its two billing cycles before I get it since I closed out my account. WHERE IS MY FINANCE CHARGES TO THEM!!! This is My Capital One Reward for being a good customer for 12 yrs.

Victim of Capital One Credit Cards Jun 02, 2010

Whoever posted the comment that I am a victim of my own stupidity has anti-social personality problems. I trusted a dishonest company to keep their word, but fortunately did not trust them enough to cancel my existing policy with Hartford. You will be reported for abuse if you continue to harass me and my family with your vile comments. As a totally disabled veteran from war wounds and injuries, I fought for your right to abuse me with your impulsive speech, but that does not mean you need to act on that right, especially when you step over the line of common decency to side with a lying corporation. Please reconsider your attitude and do unto others as you would have them do to you.

Victim of Capital One Credit Cards Jun 02, 2010

I was lied to by Mercury Insurance who said we would receive a good student discount for my live at home adult son college studen based soley on a gpa of 3.0 or higher. After agreeing to their offer/contract they collected $204.10 from me over the internet and/or phone. They waited a few days then told me the discount was only good if you are currently enrolled in 12 or more units, after leaving that new requirement out of their stated requirement prior to that! Since they did not sound fully honest in their evasive manner which is hard to describe, when I was first talking to them on the phone, I did not fully trust them to do anything right or as promised. They were trying to trick me into and even stated I should go ahead and cancel my existing policy with The Hartford/AARP. Since I did not trust them I kept my existing policy in full force as I expected they might pull something, and it turns out they did. When I contacted them to confront them on their lie/fraud/trick, the agent refused to communicate with me at all. I contacted managers who surprisingly admitted I was deceived and that the agent was required to tell me about their 12 unit requirement, even though my son is an honor student who usually takes 12 or more units. I even explained their was an advanced math class that was full which is the reason why he could not have the 12 unit schedule he intended to have. The manager(s) stated that "if the agent will "eat" the cost of a cancellation fee we will refund your entire payment of $204.10." I said that was unacceptable, that she lied, deceived/tricked me with deceptive enticement(s), and that I demand a full refund. They said there would be a cancellation fee if the agent would not cooperate as cited above. It turns out she did not cooperate, and the so called cancellation fee turned out to be my entire payment of $204.10. I have reported them to the state for fraud and lying and I expect the agent's insurance license to be sanctioned or suspended once the ongoing investigation by the state is over, and the involved managers who have conspired with the agent in the cover up and defrauding to be sanctioned too. As a totally disabled combat veteran it is disgusting to see a giant corporation lie and cheat me and my family, as they no doubt do to countless others.

Victim of Capital One Credit Cards May 28, 2010

Capital One has literally terrorized me and my family over a fraudlent billing by Mercury Insurance. I have provided tons of input on this fraudulent charge of $204.10 yet Capital One continues to stonewall and now demand that I send them a written letter to file another dispute instead of taking my dispute again over the phone. The arrogance and dishonesty of this company comes down to the benefit they receive by carrying fraudlent billings on their books to make it look like they have more assets than they do in the form of consumer debt at high interest. They are doing this, and have gotten worse about such things in order to make it look like they are doing well with the bail out money they got from the US taxpayers and the US government bailout funds they received. They got the mercy of the taxpayers/government who used the taxpayers money to bail them out, now they terrorize me for months, greatly harming me and my family in this exhausting and costly damaging process as their way of thanking America for saving their greedy and dishonest company. They literally make me sick and have geatly damaged my and my wife's health and our children's health due to the intense amount of effort and time we continue to invest in this incredibly corrupt company. Capital One has become a loan shark organization that has many tricks to defraud customers and delay proper clearing of fraudulent debts which they imply through their advertising they will do. They should face huge penalties and be shut down through new legislation that will hopefully come out soon.

• Bo
    Bob Dumas Apr 04, 2010

Please go to https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ and file a complaint. Also remember to file the same complaint with Attorney general of your State:

• Ry
    rymir Mar 19, 2010

I have a limit of $500. My minimum payments have been between $10-20 a month. Last month I received my bill, it said my minimum balance was $0. Therefore I did not make a payment.

This month the bill comes in... they charged me the monthly interest, which put me over my $500 limit by $2... and because of this, they added a $29.95 over limit charge?!? Why would they tell me that my minimum payment was $0.

I am paying this stupid CC off, canceling it, and telling everyone I know to never get a Capital One Credit card. I had a regular TD VISA for years, and never had this kind of problem with them.

• Su
    sucker Nomore Mar 14, 2010

BEWARE OF CAPITAL ONE they are not honest and will try to continue charging you interest even when you have already paid off the balance in full and your balance is already 0