Camden Property TrustIllegal rental fees

In February of 2016, Camden sued me for eviction (the action is called "unlawful detainer") after I had paid my rent and a 10% penalty for being late, late, in December of 2015. At that time, not only did Camden charge me a 10% late fee of $156.00 (my rent was $1567.00) but Camden also added a $350.00 penalty which they labelled "attorneys fees."

The problem with that $350.00 penalty is that we had never been to court. Camden simply tacks the $350.00 fee onto the late rental payment on top of the 10% charge. The tacking on of the $350.00 late fee is a flagrant violation of both the Virginia Landlord Tenant Act as well as the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. (I did my homework and consulted with an attorney after reading through the provisions of the Virginia Landlord Tenant Act.)

I am limited on what I can say about the situation, but you are free to look at the pleadings of a court case which involved me challenging Camden's illegal conduct. I cannot discuss the terms of the settlement but all you need to do is just go to the Fairfax County General District Court and look up the case by its docket number (GV [protected]-00.) If you have ever paid that illegal fee, I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY urge you to hire an aggressive attorney, who is not intimidated by Camden Fair Lakes, and have that attorney take a look at the pleadings in my case.

Camden claims to have the largest apartment management portfolio in the United States and has done this to many current and former tenants. In fact, I recently photocopied a list of cases just in Fairfax County alone (there are HUNDREDS OF NAMES) going back to 2008 where Camden has pursued unlawful detainer lawsuits and charged (in part) the illegal $350.00 fee.

More Camden Property Trust Complaints & Reviews