Having problems with Busuu?

Busuu Customer Service Contacts

3rd Floor, 10 East Road, Hackney
London
United Kingdom - N16AJ

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Busuu Customer Service. Initial Busuu complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Busuu above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Busuu. Discuss the issues you have had with Busuu and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Busuu Complaints & Reviews

BusuuAutomatic subscription renewal without notice - refusal to refund

I have written twice to Busuu complaining that I was given no notice of a deduction of £79.99 for a subscription that I no longer want. I received an email 6 weeks after the deduction was made advising me in retrospect.

I pointed out that it should be a matter of sound business practice to notify customers before taking payment so that they have the opportunity to review. It is unreasonable to expect customers to always remember in time to cancel automatic renewals. It would also be clear from a cursory look at my account that I had not used the service for over a year prior to the renewal, which would clearly indicate that I would not wish the subscription to continue.

I have received two responses that have essentially refused to take any of this into account. Busuu has, however, cancelled my subscription without offering any refund.

This is really poor business practice and exploits the reality that many people lose track of renewals. To deduct money without authorisation after a year of inaction, and to take such an inflexible attitude when this is pointed out is particularly egregious during a pandemic when many people are suffering a loss of income.

I would like my case looked at again, and an agreement to refund the full amount taken.

Regards

Sandra Herbert

BusuuNon authorized renewal

Be careful with their service.

The website/site are not clear on the renewal policy and if you cancel the subscription before the renewal keep a screenshot. As many others reported, I got the service automatically renewed and my cancellation ignored (I did it before the renewal) but I didn't keep a screenshot and I haven't received an email.

They are charging £70 for the renewal where I paid £30 for the first year. I should have blocked PayPal subscription. So be careful and block your card/paypal before the renewal.

• Updated by Vente · Dec 10, 2020

Today I have received an email with full immediate refund from Busuu. I got a full refund from Busuu.
        Although I was sceptical about their customer service, they quickly answered to my request and refuded after I insisted.

BusuuPremium subscription

They took money for yearly premium subscription even tho I don't have access to my account. I cancelled my subscription because I knew that if I will do it before they take money for next period nothing will happen but they still charged me 70 euros for renewal, 8 days after cancellation. This is a robbery, I know i'm not the first one this happened to. This is ridiculous, I have no access to this account whatsoever, I don't use this app but they still charge me for it? This is british company and they work against a consumer act rights 2015, what they do is called unfair treatment. Stay away from busuu this is not worth it. That's a lot of money for me at the moment and they don't want to refund it even though I asked them. Shame on you busuu

Premium subscription

BusuuCharged for unauthorised subscription renewal, no access to the account whatsoever, no help

On 15 September 2020 I was charged 69.99 for Busuu subscription on an account that I do not have access to it (never had). I immediately tried to report fraudulent acitvity in Paypal, but the case was closed with a statement it was deemed as not unauthorised. Replied from Paypal is attached. Last year in September I purchased a subscription but never logged in or used it on my phone or website - screenshot from Paypal (2019) is attached. I have reported this matter to Busuu, but I did not get a reply.

I would like to get a full refund for this unauthorised fee and full deletion of whatever account this is connected with.

RESOLVED

Today morning I have received an email with full immediate refund from Busuu and another one from Paypal saying my case was resolved in my favour. I got a full refund from Busuu - please don't give up, remain polite and specific, provide as much evidence (documents and screenshots) and keep talking (polite and persistent).

BusuuRenewed the contract for 69.99 euros without any notification email

Invoice No. INV00880783
          Date: 10 Sep 2020
          Payment method: PayPal

I would like a whole refund for my 69.99€.

The money was deducted from my PayPal account without any early notification, and I didn't want to renew the contract at all.

Plus, in 2019 the yearly fee was 34.909€, and this year is 69.99€???

Also there is no customer line in China, and no response for email. I feel ashamed for such a company doing daytime robbery.

Please, I just

Renewed the contract for 69.99 euros without any notification email
          Renewed the contract for 69.99 euros without any notification email

BusuuShady and unethical business practices

BUSUU's business practice is to automatically charge your for future unwanted and cancelled services.

I signed up my 2 children on BUSUU. After a few weeks we realized the program was not a good fit for them and they simply stopped using it. Fast forward a year (July 2020) and BUSUU charged me $69.99 (2x) for (2) future memberships! NO auto renewal reminder emails were received on either account! They quietly kept my credit card and charged it for future memberships, which have been cancelled, will NOT be used.

I have reached out to their customer service team 3x (7/24, 8/30, 9/4) each time asking for a full refund on both accounts, they have rudely denied my request.

This company's shady business practice is to auto renewal and deny cancellations refunds. I don't understand how this is ethical? If I have cancelled the service why can't I get a refund?

BusuuAuto renewal

I will advise everyone to never sign up for this service. Every other business with a policy of auto renewal sends a reminder that payment is upcoming. I received a notice after the fact that busuu had auto renewed (and at a higher rate than I initially signed up for). I contacted them immediately and I am so disappointed that this company will not refund my money for a service I do not use and have no intention of ever using again!

BusuuPremium service

My subscription has auto renewed without any prior notice given, no email no notification...nothing. After contacting the company and thinking it would be very easy mistake to rectify and get a refund as it was only renewed yesterday (16/07/2020) I've now been told that they will not refund my £70. Very poor from them. An email would have prompted me to cancel on time which I guess is why they didn't...

BusuuBusuu auto renewal

Hi,

I am me too victim of Busuu and their method.
                  I discovered today that 69.99 eur were taken from my bank account.

After contacting busuu service stating that I did not receive any email from their part stating that my subscription was coming to an end, they just said that I should have read the terms and conditions.

They automatically renew your subscription for a period of ONE YEAR with an impressive price for an app of almost 70eur.

They don't send you ANY renewal email saying that you come close to your end period, so you can be sure that no one will remember their end day. This is SUCH a deceptive technique.

I will try my best to fight this company and get back my money as well as warning people to NEVER take a subscription there.

BusuuRefuse to refund subscription

I had purchased a subscription to their service a year ago.

I then stopped using their service and forgot about it. I thought what I had made was a 1-year single purchase. Turns out it was an auto-renewable subscription. I get an email only after the renewal has been made. They didn't even notify me that they were going to charge me. I sent an email asking for a refund and cancellation of the service. They refused. It's incredible they someone can just take your money like that.

• Busuu's response · Jul 01, 2020

Hi Francesco,

We're sorry you feel this way but prior to your initial purchase, we do inform all our users that you are purchasing a recurring subscription so we're quite unsure why you would think it's a single purchase.
                        We also informed you in your first email just after the purchase where we also explain how to cancel your subscription on our FAQ section on our website and in regards to the refund we do have T&C's mentioning that we do offer refunds only for an initial purchase.

We hope this helps clarify your concerns.

Regards,

Team Busuu.

BusuuCharged me a yearly fee

I signed up a year ago to try out Bussu app, didn't like it and forgot about it. A year later they charged me a yearly fee (!) of 69 euros without as much as an email notification in advance. When I reached out to customer support I got a standard email response that they are "sorry I didn't realize Bussu subscriptions renew automatically". And when I tried to explain the situation the just kept sending me the same email back. And they refused to refund me even if thought I haven't used the app for almost a year! It's extremely sad, that the way you retain customers is by automatic yearly subscription renewal and not by making your service better.

BusuuMoney taking without my permission not responding to emails

I contact busuu 22/06/2019 stating not happy and want full refund. Still waiting for respond despite resending emails. Then the 17/05/2020 £69.99 taken from my bank account without my permission. Have again sent emails but not reply. I did manage to live chat with someone who stated customer service would deal with this - still waiting. I want a full refund of both payments and confirmation that my account is closed and no more payments taken as the service I have received is disappointing

May 09, 2020

Busuu — No service after payment for : premium plus subscription

Pathetic customer service from the company. I made payment approx 5 days back for the service. After that...

Dec 10, 2019

Busuu — Premium membership

I had a premium membership last year from busuu. After one year, I realized that premium membership amount...

BusuuLanguage learning

I am regularly bombarded with emails from Busuu but they have no interest in reminders about the subscription renewing and I am now trapped into a subscription for a further two years. What's worse is that I don't have time to pursue the course. I wrote as soon as I received an email from PayPal to notify me that the money had been deducted but it was according to Busuu too late as the seven days had expired- the money was deducted so as to make it impossible to react to the PayPal mail. This is a scam pure and simple and I will be doing my utmost to redress this wrong.

• Busuu's response · Nov 08, 2019

Thanks for raising this issue, we would be very keen to look into this for you but at the same time I would like to inform you that a point of purchase all our users are informed that they will be charged on the basis of an auto-renewal so I'm quite unsure to what scam you are referring to?

BusuuBusuu.com web site

Hello,

I just had an unfortunate discussion with Busuu customer support regarding cancellation of my premium subscription. The main subject was their "Pause Subscription" button which I pressed to pause my subscription for a few months. The result was that, after my current year of subscription ended up, my Busuu subscription went back to the Free Trial mode then, after just one month, I was silently billed for another year.

I complained to their customer service regarding the issue, asking them to expain what exactly had happened, and what they had done was changing my account password (!), I don't know why, then cancelling my subscription without even asking my permission. So now, since my subscription is already closed, I can't even play with the "Pause Subscription" button to see if it gives you a fair warning about what exactly it is doing. I think the button is quite confusing, and what it says is it should be pressed to suspend my subscription for up to 6 months or so. Unfortunately, I can't give you all the info since they have already closed my subscription without my permission. So, if I want to look into it any deeper, I will need to pay another $64.25

Ideally I want my $64.25 back. My email is [protected]@hotmail.com, the phone # is +[protected]. The incident happened just yesterday, 10/29/2019

Thanks,
                            Alexander

Busuu incident is #9388122. This is the last response from their team:

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your email.

With regard to your password, I changed it myself in case you had forgotten it. You can log in with these credentials and check yourself:

[protected]@hotmail.com
                            busuu2019 (to change your password: How do I reset my password?)

As for the date, you mentioned having canceled the subscription. What must have happened instead is that you paused it, which turns your account free for one month and adds an extra month to your subscription period (ie: for users who may not have the time to use Busuu for a bit but would like to study with it a bit later on. That way, they don't wast a month).

I have now canceled your subscription so that you will not be charged again. However, I'm afraid auto-renewal cases are not eligible for a refund: What is Busuu's refund policy? Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

Celia

RESOLVED

I was offered a 50% refund and that resolved it. The customer support did make mistakes, they changed my account password without my permission and they cancelled my subscription without my permission. That created the confusion. If they just answered the question I asked there would be no confusion and no complaint. Thanks;-)

BusuuCharge again after cancelled subscription last year

Date: September 22, 2019
                              Desire solution: Refund
                              Description:
                              I was required by my university teacher to purchase busuu premium for its exercises two years ago for $85 per year. Like other complaints on this site, I was not informed before, during, and after my purchase that the subscription would automatically renew the next year. The only way you may know about it would be under the "Subscription" under "My Account" on the website.

Last year I was charged $85 again, and I emailed them for a refund. After 5 days of email communication, they offered me a 50% refund. And I was told that they have helped me cancel the subscription permanently, so there won't be further purchases. I was like"Alright, at least I got 50% back, and it is true that I did not cancel it before the renewal." So I agreed with the 50% refund.

However, on September 22 this year, I was charged again for the subscription. I have been contacting them for 5 days, and they only reply by copying and pasting answers that won't answer my questions. The refund can only happen within 7 days, so I do not know what to do next.

• Busuu's response · Sep 27, 2019

Hello,

We are sorry to hear you have experienced an issue with Busuu. Last year's cancellation might have not syncronised with our system and this is why you were charged again. Please contact us at [email protected] and we will investigate this case and refund the payment if the cancellation had already been requested in the past.

Kind regards,

The Busuu team

BusuuAuto-renewal scam

Last year I bought a year of premium at 50% off. Nowhere did it tell me this was a subscription which would be renewed at full price a year later. There were no warnings prior to purchase, or after purchase, or before they took money again when they auto-renewed. I have contacted them about a refund, and they said refunds can only be done with 7 days of purchase.
                                Definitely avoid buying premium for busuu, as it is a rip off. I am very angry as I finished the language course within 4 months and haven't used the service since. Now I have a whole year more at full price that I don't need.

• Busuu's response · Sep 27, 2019

Hello,

We are sorry to hear you had an issue with your subscription. We informed you on various occasions before making the payment that the subscription would renew automatically. This was stated also in your invoice. We are sorry you did not cancel the subscription on time to avoid the auto-renewal.

Kind regards,

The Busuu team

Sep 06, 2019

Busuu — Automatic renewal

I wanted to talk about my experience with Busuu.com automatic renewal: As many of the complaints posted on...

Aug 01, 2019

Busuu — Take payment from my credit card without my permission!!!

I saw that busuu.com took money from my credit card without my info today 20:10 GMT +7 01/08/2019. my card i...