FILE A COMPLAINT

+63 975 672 7353(Philippines) 2 0
+27 712 855 264(South Africa) 2 0
+971 589 606 972(UAE) 3 0

Complaints & Reviews

advance payment for a language class which was never refunded.

I was meant to get a refund when a French class couldn't be scheduled on time. It has not arrived, although the whatsapp contact has promised this three times now. Initial payment was made November 14th and my email (which I signed up with) is [protected]@outlaw.ie and phone is [protected]. See whatsapp exchange below.

[22:40, 25/01/2020] Jane Russell: Hi Tracey, my refund hasn't come through, can you please update me on this? Thanks, Jane Russell
[14:37, 27/01/2020] +[protected]: Hi Jane, already sent another follow up with our payments team and asked them to process it soonest as possible
[14:48, 27/01/2020] Jane Russell: Thanks Tracey
[15:05, 27/01/2020] +[protected]: You're welcome and we do apologize for the delays
[15:20, 27/01/2020] Jane Russell: No problem, many thanks for following up on it for me
[23:45, 10/02/2020] Jane Russell: Hi Tracey, texting as this refund still hasn't come through yet. Can you please advise?
[14:53, 12/02/2020] +[protected]: Hi Jane! Will send a follow up today about your refund
[15:46, 12/02/2020] Jane Russell: Please do as I am escalating this with my bank at the moment
[15:50, 12/02/2020] Jane Russell: I also in the process of leaving reviews online for the company
[15:51, 12/02/2020] Jane Russell: I work in media and will be letting my consumer affairs colleagues know about this as well, so I'd really appreciate a definitive response this time as to when the refund will appear. Thank you.

[Resolved] french tutor disappeared after payment

I chose a French tutor via Tutoroo and I paid 120 dollars for four lessons with that specific tutor to the tutoroo. What happend next is that the French Tutor I chose disappeared and no words from her any more.
I asked for refunding,but the tutoroo kept persuading me to letting them introduce another tutor for me. I agreed in the end as they said they would introduce a tutor of similar price and position.
But the tutors they introduced later is too far from my place or too expensive or not proficient in English.

They are still introducing more tutors who don't suits me in price, location or other conditions. I don't know when and where is an end for that. It's unfair that they keep my money and expect me to compromise. I simply want my money back now.

They say rhe money is for that specific tutor when I make the payment, but later they say that the payment is transferable to any tutor in town when they refuse to refund me.

• Tutoroo's response · Nov 29, 2019

Hi Jiuqing,

Thank you for letting us know what transpired in your transaction with the New Zealand Team.

It is in our best interest to help our students find their language tutor. With that premise, if the initially chosen tutor or paid for is not available to cater to classes for whatever reason, TUTOROO exhausts it’s ways to help the student find a new one and make new tutor introductions accordingly.

We have raised the concern to your local TUTOROO Team and they will be in touch with you shortly to provide assistance regarding your refund request.

[Resolved] english classes

After my previous complain on 08 Oct 2019, Tutoroo reached me and acknowledged they are unable to find a tutor for me. They agreed to refund my first 120NZD two weeks payment. I agreed to receive payment to my Paypal account and provided proper email.
Today 18 Nov 2019, i still get nothing!

Previous claim: https://www.complaintsboard.com/tutoroo/unable-to-find-a-teacher-for-3-months-and-rejecting-refund-requests-c1177413

english classes

• Tutoroo's response · Nov 29, 2019

Hi Andy,

I have escalated your refund concern to the Payments Team and informed the New Zealand TUTOROO Team as well.

This is the same complaint as you have submitted before. Again, we are looking into it and is acknowledging your request.

Feel free to follow-up with us anytime at the live chat or via WhatsApp with your local TUTOROO Team and we will provide you an update or answer back anytime.

The TUTROOO Team

• Tutoroo's response · Dec 11, 2019

Hi Andy,

Your refund request has been granted this November 29. It should have been reflected to your account by now.

Thank you for your patience in regards to this matter.

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] beware of scam: tutoroo & user data

I have made repeated attempts to contact Tutoroo in an effort to remove all of my personal data from its website, however Tutoroo has not replied to any of my messages and will not respond to my WhatsApp calls. I have a legal right to govern the use of my personal data, however Tutoroo will not comply with my request to remove my data from its website. This is illegal, and I am looking into taking legal action against the company. Do not under any circumstances sign up for an account with Tutoroo, as your personal data may be used without your consent.

• Tutoroo's response · Nov 02, 2019

Hello Catherine, thank you for bringing this to our attention. However, I have recently checked with the team and there is no pending request from a Hong Kong tutor for profile deletion.

TUTOROO is compliant with privacy agreements and laws and we delete profiles as tutors request it.

Please be in contact with us and provide the necessary information so we can assist you accordingly.

Kind regards,

• Updated by KatherineInHongKong · Nov 02, 2019

As per my request, Tutoroo deleted my account. Thank you.

• Tutoroo's response · Nov 02, 2019

Thank you Katherine for the update. This has been resolved.

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] unable to find a teacher for 3 months and rejecting refund requests.

After I signed up on Tutoroo, they found a tutor, who surprisingly disappeared after I payed 120NZD for the...

Tutoroo

[Resolved] never processed refund - bad follow up

I asked for a refund of my initial $60 sign up in April this year as a tutor was unable to be found in my area (incompatible time and I didn't want to do online tuition as this hasn't worked for me in the past). After noting my refund was going to be processed I waited the standard 30 days as they told me to do. Nothing was processed. I have subsequently followed up many times (via Whatsapp and email) and there has been no further follow up apart from saying someone from the Wellington team will be in touch, which they have not been. Absolutely terrible service. I might have been inclined to use them again but this experience has shown me they are not to be trusted. I am going to continue to push for my refund and will find every mechanism to formally lodge a complaint until I receive it.

never processed refund - bad follow up

• Tutoroo's response · Sep 15, 2019

Hi Justine, I am sorry if the process is taking longer than usual but the team is making necessary review. They will be in contact with you via WhatsApp within 2 business days for an update.

Thank you for your patience.

- The TUTOROO Team

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] never processed my refund

After a poor experience with Tutoroo service, I requested a refund and was advised by Sofia (+[protected]) on 2:45pm AEST on the 18 June 2019 that a refund would be processed.

Over 40 days and several follow ups later, I have not received the refund and I have not received any services.

The reason I requested a refund is that the tutor that I selected was not available. The way it unraveled made it obvious that you were either not maintaining tutor lists in a timely fashion or using fake accounts to make it look like there were more tutors than were actually available.

never processed my refund

• Tutoroo's response · Sep 13, 2019

Hi Cam, were you able to receive your refund? Did TUTOROO approved your request for a refund?

TUTOROO tutors are given easy access to their profile where they can update their availability any time and which then gives notification real time to the respective team. Still some tutors, for whatever reason, forgets to inform of their availability changes, but still they can do so inside the group chat with the student.

However, on cases wherein the tutor is not responsive, TUTOROO finds another tutor and makes a second introduction.

Rest assured, profiles activated in the website are real people who sign-up to become part of the TUTOROO Tutor's Community :)

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] never received my refund

I saw tutoroo online for French lessons, once agreed with tutor regarding first lesson and settled fees - tutor started postponing and postponing our class, after 2 weeks trying to get my class i gave up, was offered another tutor who didnt want to do classes in my area and if i wanted i would have had to pay double. Then another tutor - i honestly got tired and said all i want is my money back. I was asked for my Paypal account but nothing happened. Emails are just useless and noone replies on them. Maximum what i got was - someone from finance team will get in touch with you, which never happened. SO technically my AED 450 went down to drain. From my side i will make everything possible and impossible to ensure that none of my friends uses their service, moreover social media and my review of this company will help others not to be treated and fooled the way i was!!!

• Tutoroo's response · Apr 15, 2019

Hi, please contact the team through email or directly through WhatsApp so they can help. Refunds, when due, are usually processed within 30 days max.

• Tutoroo's response · Sep 13, 2019

It is a standard procedure to investigate refund requests prior to granting approval, so it usually takes about 30 days.
    We should also consider the fact that the service isn't for free and the moment we inquire and had been introduced to a tutor, a job has already been started on the part of the service provider, in this case, TUTOROO.

Honestly, it's out of hands of TUTOROO when a tutor postpones a class, but for sure their representatives took a look at it, thus another introduction was made. For this instance, previous tutors are questioned and if deem fit, their profiles are removed from the website.

[Resolved] awaiting refund for 2 paid classes which were not given

I paid for 2 classes through Tutoroo up-front. Then after choosing a tutor, they let me know she was not longer available. After that, they offered me other options and when I chose one they asked me to change my location of choice (from my home to somewhere public). If your tutors are not comfortable meeting at people homes...DO NOT GIVE THIS OPTION. Even then, I setup the first class and both the Tutoroo and the Tutor were informed and confirmed. Then they night before I was told the Tutor had something else she needed to do so she would not make it.

After this whole process I saw how unprofessional this service is in management and so I asked for a refund. I was asked to provide a PayPal account for them to refund me on October 26th. It is now November 26th and I have NOT received my refund. I have written them to checkup and all they say is that it's being processed. They NEVER reach out to me with updates, I am the one who has to write them.

I have even written their manager Nicole Vanhove to try to get this resolved. I have also written them through their site and after asking for my details, they have not reached out. This company has no Customer Service number or anyone you can actually speak with for any issues. It's all on Whatsapp which absolutely terrible service. I paid 80 GBP which is quite a lot of money for two classes and for them it means NOTHING.

Hi, thank you for sharing your story.

It has been since TUTOROO works in continuously improving their service and I am happy to inform you that now, TUTOROO does not only communicate via WhatsApp but have also added a live chat feature on their website: www.tutoroo.co. Email notifications are also added for both tutors and students (TUTOROO Messenger).

We cannot prevent having tutors reschedule prior to their lesson time, so it is encouraged that both parties constantly communicate with each other. However, in the event that the tutor can no longer accommodate the student, TUTOROO ensures they introduce you to another reliable tutor.

TUTOROO Team constantly checks on the availability of their tutors and for sure non-responsive ones before have been paused and removed from the website by now.

Refund process usually takes about 20-30 days, so I would personally opt to choosing another tutor instead and building a good rapport to ensure smooth work-relations. Nevertheless, I presume you that have already received your 80GBP refund.

Feel free to check on TUTOROO again and you'll be happy with the changes. Have a lovely day! :)

Hi, thank you for sharing your story.

It has been since TUTOROO works in continuously improving their service and I am happy to inform you that now, TUTOROO does not only communicate via WhatsApp but have also added a live chat feature on their website. Email notifications are also added for both tutors and students (TUTOROO Messenger).

• Tutoroo's response · Sep 13, 2019

It has been since TUTOROO works in continuously improving their service and I am happy to inform you that now, TUTOROO does not only communicate via WhatsApp but have also added a live chat feature. Email notifications are also added for both tutors and students in their TUTOROO Messenger.

[Resolved] education

I found a Japanese tutor via Tutoroo. After the first lesson, Tutoroo charged me fees for 2 lessons. The idea is that the first two lessons are paid to Tutoroo but subsequent lessons are paid to the tutor directly. The tutor who came to our house was very inexperienced. In any event, she simply did not turn up for the second lesson (which I have paid for to Tutoroo). This tutor did not bother to cancel, reschedule or communicate.

I am ok if she quits or cancels, but it is not ok to not turn up and said nothing. Where is the professionalism and basic human decency?

When I complained to the local Tutoroo team, they ignored me until I complained to the main team. Tutoroo refused to refund the money and kept wanting me to use another tutor (who seemed equally, if not more, dodgy).

I can't be more disappointed. My experience with Tutoroo to-date is that it feels very much a scam.

• Tutoroo's response · Sep 13, 2019

Hi Nigella, I am sorry about your experience with this tutor. Indeed the tutor not showing up without notice is disappointing. May I know where you are located?

TUTOROO got a lot of other reliable tutors available on their website, you just have to read their profile closely before choosing and when you are introduced you can ask questions directly to the tutor, know him/her better, before booking a lesson. This ensures a good relation with your chosen tutor that might avoid any uneasiness on both parties in the future.

I hope you are loving the Japanese language by now! :)

language classes

I paid $80 for the first two lessons with this company. The tutor I chose was unavailable, and they offered nobody else and agreed to a refund. Two months later and a reminder and it has never come. Curiously, shortly after giving them my details I started getting junk mail in Spanish (the language I wanted to learn) - is there a link?

Avoid these people, they are dodgy.

• Nd
    NDD1 Oct 24, 2018

Michael's issue has been resolved a while ago.

- The TUTOROO Team.

marine ben Oct 25, 2018

After reading all the reviews here let’s share my experiences. Tutoroo is one of the best platform to learn a new language through WhatsApp or Skype. I never seen it before and was my first time to experiment it through Tutoroo. They took time to replace the teacher after I wasn’t feeling comfortable learning with him. Be patient with them

jasony stone Oct 29, 2018

We are happy we have found a private tutor through tutoroo.co and the agents were very efficient on WhatsApp.

• Nd
    NDD1 Nov 01, 2018

Thanks for the support Marine and Jasony!

[Resolved] learning services

I applied the services in HK through their online web site and prepaid the charge for the lesson on 13 Nov...