Having problems with Big Lots?

300 Phillipi Rd
Fri8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Sat8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sun8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
How does Big Lots work?

Big Lots is a discount retailer operating more than 1,400 stores in 47 states.

How can I contact Big Lots?

Company can be contacted via email - [email protected]

Or via phone - (614) 278-6800

Where is the company located?

Floryday are located in Columbus, Ohio (Full address - 4900 E Dublin Granville Rd
Columbus, OH 43081-7651)

What is the return & refund policy?

Products can be returned within 30 days of the date of purchase.
To ensure a refund or exchange, the returned item must be in its original packaging and condition and be accompanied by a receipt.  Refunds will be issued in the same form of payment originally used for the purchase.

Is Big Lots a legitimate business?

This company has high ratings on some web portals, but is rated F on BBB and has low ratings on many other portals including ours, therefore we suggest you to think twice if you actually want to work with this company!

Complaints & Reviews

refund policy - returns without a receipt

I have worked for Big Lots for 9 years and I feel the need to enlighten you all on the policies. First, on...

big junk

From all the stuff that I bought from "Big Lots", only a few items survived the first 60 days. For example: I still have the window curtains... (this is the kind of stuff you can buy from them) - anything that can fail, will fail right after their 30 day return period expires. They know why they are not offering 90 days like Walmart... if you consider that the sooooooo cheap stuff from them ends up in the garbage can within a few months, you might agree that the price is not that great.

• It's stuff that was overstock somewhere else that didn't sell, and they bought it on the cheap. Not a secret hidden truth, that's what they tell you. Not hard to realize.

• Fl
    flyhi152 Oct 20, 2011

They should put a big sign into their door saying "our stuff lasts at least 2 weeks..."

Resolved manager

according to the manual, a full time employee is guaranteed 30 hours per week...but our manager does not...

digitial camcorder

On Sunday December19, 2010 I along with my brother went to the BIG LOTS here in Portsmouth, Virginia located on Airline Blvd.looking for a certain camcorder.Upon arrivial we seen they were all sold out...!before that I had to wait for almost ten minutes before ANYONE would even acknowledge I was there.I am an African American I thought I would fit the profile of a theif and they would watch me...but NOOOOOO!.I got frustrated at the ignorance and went over to the cashier she was helping another customer.I asked her about the camcorder hoping she would call around like she had done for the other customer againNOOOOOOOOOOO.Instead she on her own said they were ALL gone and no other store had them.I went home irate as hell I CALLED the store in Chesapeake, Va, they had one, she checked for me and I got it!!!finally.Mind you the Portsmouth store was NOT busy early in the mid morning!!!.Customer Service where was it?, I am a customer and I did not get served!!!.Is this the best Big Lots have to offer the public?, I hope not!!.Looking forward to hearing from you ASAP!!!.Thank -you for your attention!!!

• Tt
    tttthhhh Feb 07, 2013

If I recall it's not my job in customer service to paper your f***ing ###. Be a man and ask and realize that retail it's a busy job all the time. Take done f***ing initiative and call another store yourself you Lazy f***.

Resolved refusal of personal check

I went to Big Lots on Sunday, bought some products from them. Totaled up to be $54 since I didnt have my...

Resolved offensive employees

I shop at Big Lots maybe 3 times a week and over the past few weeks I have overheard one employee (Zack...

unfair treatment

Renae, who claims to be the store 'manager' at Big Lots #4485 (90th and Bangerter) kicked my kids out of the store because my 14 year old daughter was not using a chair to her standards, and then got 'mouthy' in her opinion. What the so-called ‘manager’ didn't know was that I was one aisle over and heard the entire conversation.

My 14 year old daughter was sitting on a floor model chair with one leg over the side. This employee asked my daughter to "sit like a lady". My daughter complied by setting her other foot on the ground, and responded with "Okay". Renae then snapped back by telling my daughter “There you go; now you’re acting like a normal person". My daughter told her she was a normal person, and that "you don't know me". This must have been what Renae found to be 'mouthy' because she proceeded to speak to my daughters in a very loud and even more condescending tone.

She asked if they “wanted to leave” and told them that “we can play it this way. Is this what you want? Well, is it?” Both of my daughters answered only with “no” more than once, but Renae was already calling security to escort them out. My 11 year old daughter told Renae she “had done nothing wrong” and that she needed to “get my mom”. Renae said "I know, but that’s too bad, you're with her (referring to her sister), you need to leave too." Then started shooing my daughters, waving her arms at them with a “Come on, let’s go, let’s go!”

She fully intended to send my minor daughters out into a parking lot without regard for their safety. She lacked concern for notifying or locating an accompanying parent or adult and denied my daughter the opportunity to do so. Fortunately, being an aisle over I was able to catch up and walk out with them.

I feel the store 'manager' thought my daughters were in the store alone, targeted them for that reason and looked for an excuse to kick them out. Renae said all of two sentences to my daughters before telling them to leave. I call that age discrimination, possibly sex discrimination, sincemy daughter’s ability/inability to sit the way Renae figures her gender should was at issue.

I have considered purchasing furniture from Big Lots in the past and was allowed to try it out before hand, that's what a floor model is for, right? I have never seen a diagram on how Big Lots customers are allowed to sit in a chair, more specifically how a lady should.

Is this 'managers' job to tell people how to behave if it’s just against her personal code of conduct? My daughter simply had her leg over the arm of the chair. I don’t believe that is against the law or destructive to store property. If this is damaging to the furniture in any way, that chair is poorly made and Big Lots should reconsider putting their name behind it.

If Renae has some type of degree that makes her an authority on identifying a normal and moral person it must also entitle her to belittle those who don’t measure up. Aftermy daughter sat in the chair the way she was asked to Renae should have walked away and left it at that. Renae antagonized the situation and acted aggressively towards my children. At 14, 24 or 54my daughter has every right to defend herself against someone personally attacking her.

I'll make sure to tell everyone I know about my bad experience, as it's well known that is exactly what dissatisfied customers do. I will post this on my Facebook and MySpace as well as any consumer blog I run across. I will never shop at Big Lots again. My daughters and I set down approximately 35 dollars worth of merchandise and hadn’t even made it half way through before exitingthe store. At minimum wage, that's practically half of Renae's wages for an 8 hour shift. In today's economy I don't see how Big Lots can afford to employ people such as Renae, let alone promote them to 'manager'.

• 20
    2010l Dec 16, 2010

Maybe you should re-read the story again...the girls were not being dis-respectful to the store manager and further more it was not like they were jumping and climbing on the furniture, they were simply sitting in a way that the store manager did not like. The job of a store manager is to set a standard of excellent customer service not to be-little customers not matter what age they are. If she felt the teen was being disrespectful then should have paged her parents and complained to the parents. I have worked as a manager for over 10 years and I have seen just about everything over the course of my career and not once have I ever treated a customer, let a lone a CHILD, in that way. Maybe if the store manager is that miserable at her job then maybe management just isn't the job for her. Now on the other hand, the parent to these two girls should have went over to her daughters the moment she heard the manager talking to them instead of listening from one aisle away and at that point she could have resolved the issue right away. As a parent if I hear someone speaking to my children in a matter that is offensive I would not sit a aisle away and listen.

• Bi
    biglots employee rick Dec 19, 2010

i think we are missing the point people ...the point is that this ..."so called mom" let a stranger attack her kids in public like that..i know as a father i wouldnt of let someone do that to my kid

• Ob
    observation Jul 06, 2011

The bottom line is no manger should act like that it was very unprofessional, kids come and jump all over our beds and some more stuff but our manger handled it in a proper manner, doesn't matter how the kids were acting .

• Jj
    jjvb Dec 15, 2011

I am a reatail Store Manager and issues like the one stated above happen all the time. Is becomes a Health and Saftey issue to let children climb on furniture. If the young lady would have fallen off the chair the Mother would have been asking for the Managers head on the plate! WE who work in retail do not want have to deal with upset customers just as much as you do not want to be asked to leave the store.

sales associates

My 7 year old daughter went MIA in less than 2 minutes 2nite in the store.I was calling for her to no avail...

poor customer service

Resolved dunning/harrassment

Had purchased a mattress using a big lots credit card a few months ago. Very disappointed to find that big lots is among one of the creditors that charge a whopping $30 if you are even one day late on your payment, which in my case was more than my monthly payment. This weekend, being friday, saturday and sunday, I was called that was identified as "unavailable" no less than twenty times, and no message of any kind was left. I don't answer gutless calls. When I did answer the call with "what do you want?" I was told by a foreign voice I was past due and they were not allowed to leave personal information. I informed them had I been told by message it was their company it would have been resolved, that the harrassment over the weekend was completely uncalled for. Very annoying and unprofessional.

• Cr
    Cragar Jul 13, 2010

The moral of the story: You were late making a payment.

• Sh
    shepmom Jul 14, 2010

You were late. They charged you a late fee. I'm sure that the account came with a pamphlet explaining the term of the account.

Honestly, you should have expected the calls.

• Cr
    Cragar Jul 14, 2010

Call Nobama, I am sure he can add it to the other bailout ###. You can almost hear the original poster say hmmm I was supposed to read all that stuff that came with the card? I thought I could just spend spend spend.

Resolved recliner

I have a stratolounger recliner that is about 3 years old and is in great condition. This chair was used very...

Resolved customer service

I am a long time shopper of biglots and in the past years have had little
or no problems, three years ago i moved to this town(Dallas) and have
shopped at the biglots at least every other week, I dont spend much
but i get some good deals on things i need.Other locations are a little bit
of a drive .Last week i was in one evening and it was just as other
times ive been in, not one single employee will speak or say thankyou
or even can i help you.So im way passed fed up and send in a complaint
via biglots website, Nothing not even we are so sorry this happens when
you spend your hard earned money in our poorly run store.Dont get me
wrong the employees there are all long time employees but i really
think they should have some retraining in customer service and
treat customers like they enjoy taking their money.I know it dont
sound like much of a complaint but when you think about it, it gets
old buying products from companies that dont care what your store
expierence is like.

Resolved outdated food

Big Lots sells outdated food, I worked there for several years and they would have you sell outdated food. They told you to get rid of the box that had the exp date on it and that nobody would know how to read the exp codes.

• De
    deezga7 Feb 24, 2010

GOOD LORD! I don't know which location you work for.. But at our store that is a major no-no. We go through all of our food twice a week to check for food that has expired, and we have a markdown schedule and specialized clearance area for food. Also, if a stocker/recovery associate notices something is nearing it's expiration date they will mark it down/out of stock in accordance to the markdown schedule. Now I admit, there are times when some items are overlooked.. Our store has quite a bit more food than most locations.. But for the most part we're very good about our markdowns.

It's intriguing that your manager would tell you to leave the expired food on the shelf. That is just wrong, not to mention disgusting. There are lists sent to the stores with item names, and skus which may be about to expire at each store. Do they not receive them, or do they just ignore them?

Weird. Well, remind me not to shop at your location. But don't make generalizations like that. Not all Big Lots are managed in the same way. Many locations have an excellent staff, who actually care about the customer. Because that's what it's all about right? The customer.

... Considering the fact we're working in retail.

• Jg
    jg,yuf Mar 06, 2011

yes i also work at a big lots.We markdown to halfprice 2 weeks before exp. date .If it doesnt sell then we mark out of stock;-]

• Bi
    Big hustla Sep 15, 2013

I worked at store 4490 and constantly had issues with exp. food. Not to say there weren't counter measures in place like checking food for dates and what not. I mainly worked furniture but at night would be apart of the recovery team to which I did have some food aisles to go through. Almost weekly I would reach in to look at some cans for dates or check some chips for dates, and almost every week I found some fruit or soup or salsa or chips that were waaaaaaaaay expired like 6 months or better. One time a manager brought to my attention a bag of bird seed that actually had live maggots or worms or something of that nature in the unopened bag. Now obviously we removed the products as we became aware. When coming across expired food or contaminated products we did our best to contain the situation, but when you have employees who are oblivious to most stuff and mainly don't care, you WILL have this problem . I would have to say also the bathrooms were a joke, there is NO ventilation so as soon as someone takes a ### it stinks for like an hour or more. Also some issues such as the restrooms are not all the employees fault, it's the garbage broke cheap customers that come in and want something for nothing, and when that doesn't happen they go take a crap and wipe it on the seat or the walls or piss on everything. As far as all these complaints I read about, "well I couldn't get a return or I can't exchange or my product doesn't work" what the ### do u expect from a close out store they buy overburden or junk ### equipment and sell it for an even cheaper price. You wonder why u can get a tv for 200 bucks or less, prolly cause its a refurbished piece of ###! In all honesty like Big lots is not a bad company but its like this, you get what you pay for and don't expect otherwise, if I would have just went to bestbuy and spent the extra 100 bucks you could get that quality merchandise you want so badly. And one more thing its not the employees fault if an item is out of stock EVEN if its the first day of an ad. The employees have no control over what gets sent to stores it's ALL corporate who is rarely even in the store to see what a store needs, I think they go off store counts so they believe whatever their computer screen tells them to. Just remember this if u remember anything from this rant, which is you get what you pay for!

Resolved 30 day return policy

I have been shopping at Big Lots stores for close to 10 years and had always enjoyed finding close out...

Resolved waste of money

I would like to advise consumers of all produts.Be careful if you want to shop with Big lot as they do not like returns or exchange unless you have original receipt.Doesn;t matter about you and *** true you are as you got a gift and wrong size Or defective and you lost your receipt anf they see it clearly it is their product.you are out of luck.you are better off give it to charity rather than give them business.even if you can prove with your credit card receipt, still No GOOd.Managers and their customer servie ***.shop with who can offer exchange and credit incase you have lost your receipt.it really ***.Cheap and garbage.i rather give my money to99cets store over Big lot.

youdontmakesense Feb 15, 2010

Well your attitude and personality is worth about 99 cents so yeah, you should shop at the 99 cents store cause you fit right in. Maybe you should get more organized and keep receipts like smart people do. If you received a gift, maybe you should be upset with your friends who gave it to you without a GIFT RECEIPT. Ever heard of one, try looking it up online, it would help you in the future. Oh, and if you think any other retail store is different, well you got some more harsh lessons coming your way.

• De
    deezga7 Feb 24, 2010

Big Lots has a right to have whichever policy they so choose. Why are you so upset? The terms are set forth, and by shopping there you agreed to them.

You must have your original cash register receipt for all returns OR exchanges, and it must be within 30 days from the date of purchase.

It's quite simple, actually. Just because K-Mart gives store credit without receipt doesn't mean that Big Lots will... People just tear me up sometimes.

THERE IS A BIG LOTS STICKER ON THE ITEM. This means that it came from Big Lots. It doesn't mean that you PURCHASED THE ITEM. The receipt that BIG LOTS issued you at the time of purchase is the proof that BIG LOTS REQUIRES FOR THEM TO PERFORM A RETURN OR EXCHANGE.

Big Lots wants to make sure that you in fact purchased this item from them.

SCENARIO #1

A customer could, hypothetically, walk into the store and take a sticker off of a Black and Decker coffee maker that costs $40.00, and go to Dollar General and find that same coffee maker is on sale for $19.99. The customer could in turn place that $40.00 sticker on that coffee maker, and go inside Big Lots and say "I purchased this from your other store yesterday, and I've lost my receipt. Please give me a store credit."

SCENARIO #2

During a busy day a customer could walk into the store and pick up that coffee maker for $40.00, walk to the customer service counter.. and say "I've lost my receipt, please give me a store credit."

I'm not saying that everybody is a criminal. But there are SOME PEOPLE out there that will do this. AND YES, it has been done. So it's a case of where it's easier just to change the whole entire policy.

So for the honest guys, who still have their receipt. It's no problem at all.

• Ju
    jujumomma May 10, 2010

I understand store policy, but if you can provide a credit card receipt with the purchase details that should be fair proof of "purchase" . It's bad business to be so inflexable, use the "no receipt, no exchange" as a guide, it shouldn't be written in stone, though. You pay a store manager to be able to use his/her judgement, you have to give them some room to make an individual judgement.

stang cobra Jun 29, 2010

Big Lots return policy is really bad compared to other discount stores.

Please be aware that comments from "deezga7" and "youdontmakesense", that defend Big Lots, are probably employees. If you click on their names and their previous comments, you can see that they constantly defend Big Lots, and only that store.

"youdontmakesense", why are you so upset? LOL. It's clear that you are the one with an attitude and personality worth 99 cents. LOL

I Agree

• Mr
    MrMack Aug 18, 2010

@ stang cobra
    That's because Big Lots is not so much as a "discount" store as it is a Closeout store.

Please be aware that comments from "stang cobra" that target deezga7 and youdontmakesense are trolled across multiple complaint threads. If you click on his/her name and previous comments, you can see that this is recurrent.
    Also, did you post "I Agree" to yourself?

Anyhoo, the refund process is controlled/monitored by the MARS register Point-of-Sale system. When peforming a refund, the manager must provide the transaction data to the machine in order to return the merchandise into the inventory. If you (the customer) know at which register and the approximate time of the transaction, the manager MAY be able to retrieve this necessary data. The "No Receipt" option is meant to be used with store credit. My manager tried this; IT DIDN'T WORK! The "store credit" cards (not store "credit cards") have been disabled, and henceforth discarded under orders of the corporate offices in Ohio and have nothing to do with the manager you were trying to appeal to. The refund policy is written clearly on the back of each and every receipt, as it always has been. What many people fail to realize is that ANY transaction you make with Big Lots binds you in a (however weak) legal contract (as outlined in the not-so-fine print) that gives the company full discretion on any matters of interpretation therein.

In short, three words: Limitation of Liability - this basically means that just because you didn't read the information, doesn't mean that you didn't agree to it. Sort of like when you "accidentally" break a law and they tell you that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Also, has "I have my credit card statement" ever worked? Did you read the return policy on the receipt/hanging above the service desk? Do you even listen to those horrid commercials they force us to hear 100 times a day about returns?

One man was told "We can't give a refund without a receipt", to which he actually replied "I've never heard of a policy like that before. No one else does that, at least I know Wal-Mart don't". Then he tried to buy something with food stamps. The end.

Resolved bad management

Kingman Arizona Big Lots; I will not print her name, but the woman who is one of the managers at the Kingman...

Resolved I feel consumers should be alerted

Heads up. I have purchased Encore Foods chopped onions, in Canada at Big lots in Sterling Heights, Michigan and have found live maggotts three times. I pitched the first two containers but this container I took to the manager at Big Lots, needless to say I was sickened, an I have written to the company to complain. I feel consumers should be alerted.

cheap malfunctioing equipment

We bought 2 couches with built in recliners from Sofa Selections in Mechanicsburg Pa . Since we have...

Resolved liars

We went on on Friday and saw a great recliner for $350. We did not have the money for it, so the clerk told us that we could sign up for a VIP card. It would give us 20% off if we came back and used it on Sunday. We verified that it made the chair cost $280 and he said yes. So on Sunday, we drove the 40 miles BACK to Big Lots along with a rented truck as it was too big to fit in the minivan. We got there and the recliner was now $400. We asked the manager why we weren't told that the chair price went up on Saturday, and now with the discount, it would still be $40 more than what we were told on Friday. The "manager" then told us that he could give the chair to us for the $350 it was listed for on Friday...which was now $30 MORE than the 20% off of the $400...he math was horrible...and he was still trying to gouge us. So, now we have no chair, we have lost about $80 in gas and renting a truck for nothing, and BIg Lots will not give us the price they promised. To make it worse, when the manager told us that we could pay $350 for the chair, he told us to step outside and wait for him to come and see if he could give us a better deal. When we stepped outside, he kept us waiting there until after the store closed. Then he locked up the door and never came out, leaving us standig outside waiting fro his answer for 45 minutes. That was cowardly and in bad taste. NO MORE BIG LOTS FOR US!!!

You're dumb

youdontmakesense Feb 15, 2010

You should pay attention and read things more clearly. It's not a VIP card, its a rewards card. Also, that 20% off would have been for a special occassion like a friends and family event. No kidding prices would change due to it being a new sales week, especially considering they were giving you 20% off. Also, every store changes prices each week. Where have you been for the last 60 years. Next time, use the telephone so you can call ahead of time and make sure prices are the same and also so you can verify an item is in stock

stang cobra Jun 29, 2010

Big Lots return policy is really bad compared to other discount stores.

Please be aware that comments from "youdontmakesense", that defend Big Lots, is probably an employee. If you click on this person's name and previous comments, you can see that he/she constantly defends Big Lots, and only that store.

Hi "youdontmakesense". I think your name says it all.

• Mr
    MrMack Aug 18, 2010

@stang cobra
    That's because Big Lots isn't so much a "discount" store as it is a Closeout store.

Also, please be aware that comments from "Stang Cobra" are simply to troll people that work at Big Lots. If you click on this person's name and previous comments, you can see that he/she constantly trolls these people.

But yes, reading is fundamental. You have to pay attention to the (not really subtle) details when planning a purchase. If you expect an employee to tell you what's written right in front of you, you may end up hurting your own efforts.

Long story short, I have worked with...those types. I, however, actually read the pamphlets so that when some lazy customer asks stupid questions I can give a detailed and (more importantly) correct answer. You should still read for yourself, though. It will save you a lot of heartache.

Resolved sloppy clerk training

I tried to purchase a brand of Toilet Paper but the clerk could not scan the product. After many tries I showed her the price that was printed on a 6X8 card (5.80) She would not enter the price and finally after 5 minutes called her friend in Customer Service to help. Still no results. finally at about 8 minutes they called the store manager who confirmed the price. I handed her a $20 bill and she gave me the wrong change. Since she had goofed on this too, I told her to refund me the $20 because I was already late for work. She did not know how to do this, so the Customer Service person again had to call the manager. All of this confusion delayed me by over 12 minuter.
Big Lots needs to retrain their store managers in hiring and training new workers. In addition, This is a very sloppy store.

• Gb
    gbmiller4 Aug 11, 2009

The cashier needed the sku nubers not neccesary the price, she can't just put a price in. As for refunds only css's or managers can do that. She was doing her job correctly.

Notgonnadoit! Jan 17, 2014

Oh my goodness you were "forced to wait an entire 12 minutes" after picking up a product with no price tag, well someone should have been killed right there with no trial whatsoever. The thought of someone having to wait 12 minutes in this day and age because someone was probably in training due to high employee turnover just very nearly makes me sick to my stomach. I don't work for this company but if I'm ever in this area I will go in there and slap someone in the face for you. You should probably sue for 12 minutes of lost wages and pain and suffering. I'm so angry at this store I may not be able to sleep tonight. (Jackass)