Au Pair Careimcompetent au pair

M

We hired an au pair through an agency. When the girl got here she was a disaster, didn't know how to change a diaper, etc. We called immediately to complain and hired other babysitters to train her, but found out quickly she wasn't going to be competent. We were told we had to keep her for 2 weeks so we did and hired other babysitters. We still had to pay her and finally got frustrated and fired her.
I was told I would get a complete refund, but am only getting about 1/2 of my money back. The company is rude when I call and I'm getting nowhere fast. They actually replaced her even though I had safety concerns about her.

BEWARE

• Ex
    Exhostmom Feb 20, 2011

I am a current, soon to be past Host family. AuPair Care is wonderful when they are trying to sell themselves. Once I matched with my first AP, I quickly found out that they really don't want to be bothered with you once they have your money. I was fortunate that my first AP was very good with my children. We had some issues which were minor, thank God. Whenever I asked the coordinator for advice I felt like I was getting rushed off the phone. She was supposed to call both myself and the AP monthly and it wasn't until they sent me a survey and I answered honestly that I haven't heard from her in months that I started getting the monthly "let me rush you off the phone call", hey at least they called, right? Check the box crap. I wasn't so lucky the second time around. My new AP was not a good match for my family. It took less than a week to figure that out. Parents, ALWAYS go with your gut. Anyway, we contacted the coordinator and got the "give it a month, it takes time to adjust" line. I told her that I would give it a week to show some improvement. The end of her first full week we had a family meeting and we expressed our concerns. The AP swore to us that she was very happy with us. That same night she posted on facebook that she didn't like this and it wasn't what she had expected! She also added that she would stay long enough to sightsee and shop then she was leaving. She didnt care about the contract. Ok. That helped us with our decision. We contacted the coordinator who was out of town and said to contact the alternate. I left messages for hte alternate who was not at all interested in returning my calls because it was a weekend. Let me also add that Monday was a holiday. So I contacted another area coordinator who answered the phone because I said it was an emergency. I basically wanted to know what to do if thigs went sour after we notified the AP that we were terminating the match. She I must admit was at least helpful. My coordinator just kept feeding me the "give it time" crap. She also lost interested when I told her that I would not remain with AuPairCare. I would be requesting a refund. Luckily I only paid the deposit. I immediately called my credit card company and put a merchant freeze for AuPairCare on my card so they can't charge any additional fees. After the first 30 days they charge the first installment. I also faxed over a letter requested a refund to the CA office and my coordinator. now I sit and wait. I would also like to add that my first AP shared with me that they never checked her references. Very interesting. I have no doubt that most of these young ladies are wonderful. Unfortunaltely some are not and since the agency does such a poor job of checking, if you are the one that happens to match with one, good luck. They are not helpful.

• Pa
    Paula Esther Jul 21, 2010

Au Pair Care has an A+ rating from the BBB and is closely regulated by the US Dept. of State. Host Families sign a detailed contract in regards to the placement fees and refund policies and are allowed a replacement au pair within the first 6 months if the original au pair is not a good fit. It is the host families responsibility to interview and choose the au pair based on their personal needs. All au pairs have some childcare experience in their native country, but this will vary. Some might be teachers where others might have just done babysitting or volunteering with children. An au pair expects to become part of the family as she is a young person away in another country.

• La
    laptop Dec 16, 2009

We have the very same story. Our au pair came to us with no childcare experience at all. Was almost scared of my 3 year old, and treated him terribly. She only cared about sneaking into bars and meeting boys. Spent the whole day on the internet and would leave the house a mess. I spent 3 weeks trying to turn her around but she was a disaster. Actually told me my life was "boring" after the first day of watching the babies. The LLC told me she was not a typical au pair and must have slipped through. Said they would re-evaluate her closely before rematching her. But then they rematched her in 2 days to a poor unassuming family in Philly. The agency refuses to refund us anything. I hired a real nanny and finally can go to work with peace of mind. The extra money is worth every cent knowing someone is actually watching my kids instead of playing on the internet all day. My husband is a lawyer who owns a small firm. We are putting together a complaint with the state of PA if they continue to refuse any refund. But if anyone has any suggestions as to easier ways to get some money back please feel free to contact me.

• Fa
    faithern13 Oct 14, 2009

I just had a very similar situation with Au Pair Care, and am in the process of disputing these charges through my credit card company!!

Comment Guidelines