AT&TCell phone billing

H Dec 08, 2020

Hugh unexpected monthly billing since switching to AT&T from Verizon.

We were happy with Verizon, but had to switch to AT&T as Verizon service in our rural area was very poor. AT&T's cell service is very good in our location, however their customer service & billing practices are impossible.

Since switching My first bill was over $400, my next bill was $374. The reason according to customer service are discounts aren't applied for 3 months and I'm suppose to get back the money once they do apply.

Here are the issues with ever seeing those discounts:
1) my husband is a disabled veteran, he submitted the form right away after we made the switch to AT&T to make sure we get the 25% discount on the monthly service costs. We here nothing, see no discounts applied, I make an appointment and go into the store. Told by the rep that he sees that my husband is a vet and we will be getting the discounts. We are not getting the discounts. I call numerous times about the discounts for the trade in phones I returned and after hours finally a rep says you aren't getting the Veterans discount because the account is in your name and needs to be in his instead. At last an answer, there is just one very large problem, the account can't be changed to his name because we are new customers until we have it for 3 months due to FCC regulations. It would have been nice if I was told this when we decided to move to AT&T. The only reason it was in my name is that my husband has military related hearing disabilities and I handle all the bills & phone calls.

My trade in phones that I returned went to the wrong AT&T location as I used the return label & box that came with the new phones that had zero instructions to send them back and AT&T couldn't find them. I had to make call after call until I finally got a decent rep who I was finally able to give the tracking number I had from when I dropped them off for shipping to. She located the phones and they are suppose to be applied in the 3rd billing cycle, but I will be closely watching as I have no trust or faith in AT&T's ability to make that happen - why you ask, I called AT&T last night to begin the process of opening a new account I'm my husband's name to transfer the service so we can get the military discount and was told that there is a note in the account to have a customer rep add the discount on January 15th if it doesn't apply automatically and I was told the discount will be $800. Per phone not $1000. I was told because the phones I got are iPhone 11 pro max phones not max phones. It was always iPhone max pros I was purchasing from the start not iPhone pros (the smaller version) and I was quoted $1000. Off each of my trade in phones on the promo they were running which would bring the monthly payment for each phone down to $8.75 per phone. My bill with the discounts I was to get should be $197. Per month not $374. Per month!

My other problem, the opening of the new account I'm my husband's name does not appear to be working. I was to revive and email that I was to respond to in 2 hours & then it would be 48 hours before the account set up completed and then my husband has to complete the military form for the 3rd time to get the discounts. The problem is I never got the email.

I was assured opening the new account would not cause a problem with the trade in discounts, but I have my doubts. We are seniors and cannot keep paying enormous amounts for cell service each month.

There has to be someway to get this resolved or do I need to file with FCC and get my attorney involved? I regret every getting involved with AT&T at this point, no customer should have go through this, the amount of time alone to try to resolve this should get me free service for 3 months! I have read all the other terrible experiences with AT&T - is this how Thru expect to keep customers long term?