Asset AcceptanceI don't know how anyone in America couldn't trust their validity

Asset Acceptance LLC has contacted me regarding a debt from 1999 with B of A, whom I have not used in at least 10 years and at the time I'd terminated my account in good standing for the reason of relocation.
Asset has my SSN (???), apparently will not validate the debt, has put the full burden of proof on me, and has even explained that I have yet another account with a company I have not used in at least 10 years and have had no knowledge of a debt to them either...guess they are waiting till later to bill me for that one.

When requesting validation, I was told that it was my responsibility to pull my credit report annually and I should have known the debt was on there, however I had pulled my credit report and never saw the debt.
When I questioned their credibility, I receive the haughty response that they "are a publicly traded company"...hmmm...well, considering that little factiod, I don't know how anyone in America couldn't trust their validity....(yup that was pure sarcasm there).

• Valerie Jan 05, 2007

Ruth,

Legally it's not when you last used the card with a purchase or cash advance, it's whether you failed to pay of any existing balance in accordance with the card holder agreement and thus breached the agreement. Relocation is not an excuse for failure to payoff the balance of the debt accrued by use of the credit card. If the agreement was breached (the delinquency commenced)in 1999, then under Florida law, the limitations period expired in 2003, 4 years after the commencement of the delinquency, or in the case of an account stated claim, 4 years from the date of the original creditor statement in evidence. Therefore, you have the right to issue a full FDCPA cease all communication to Asset acceptance regarding any out-of-statute debt allegation. That won't necessarily get it deleted from a credit report as the FCRA reporting period is 7 years, 3 years longer than the commencement of actions SoL in Florida. Asset does not validate, even though FDCPA requires them to from original creditor records, since Asset could not care less about the rights of people like you. Asset just wants your money. FDCPA validation is their responsibility not yours. If you want to spend some time in federal court, you could seek recovery of statutory and actual damages as Asset violates the substantive provisions of the FDCPA. Whether they are a publically or privately owned company is irrelevant regarding violations of the FDCPA, which they are a rampant violator.

• Valerie Jan 05, 2007

Ruby,

There is no requirement to bring a FDCPA lawsuit in federal Court. It can even be done in small claims court of any jurisdiction you live in as a victim. And, Cease communication has absolutely nothing to do with Debt validation. nothing. And, what is a "full" cease communication? Cease communication is just that. Cease communication. The FDCPA does not specify different levels. And, debt validation is essential with parasites like Asset Acceptance, as it stops further collection action until provided. Asset acceptance files lawsuits on out of stat debts every single day!

• To
    tony salmon Feb 03, 2007

The Florida attorneys for this company have to be the most dishonest people I have ever dealt with. One of the attorney's actually told me I would go to jail if I didn't pay my debt under Florida law.

Anita Obertubbesing Nov 07, 2007

I think that's a long time for these companies to have waited. And besides that did they forget that 9/11 happened and some people
    who live near there. May not have thought of that at the time.

I do think there's more to this then just some late payment's. My father told me to stay away from loan's, Banks, He kept his money in a sock. Maybe he had the right idea.

Ann Jan 30, 2008

I just filled a complaint with our Attorney General's consumer affairs department. AAC redated an account from prior to 2002. They claimed it was from '04. I disputed it and AAC came back reporting that is was 120 days late as of November 2007. I spoke with the reporting agencies and they said I needed to contact AAC. I refuse to contact these people plus my lawer told me not to communicate with these people at all.

Hopefully the AG can help. I don't personally recall this account and have contacted the original company and they have no record of it. If it is legit, it is from prior to '02. I just don't understand how they can continue to get away with these illegal and dishonest practices.

• Rz
    R. Zamora Feb 06, 2008

Asset Acceptance is an absolute joke. They have destroyed my fiancee's credit because they claim they were mailing paperwork to him; if they mailed anything, it got sent to his ex-wife who never told him about it.

He asked them for proof of this debt; they mailed a settlement letter. It took SIX phone calls and an entire MONTH before they sent him any paperwork, and then they tried to back out of the settlement that they offered!!

Asset Acceptance is nothing but TRASH!

Jen Feb 23, 2008

First things first, Asset Acceptance gets all of their information from the original creditor. You can cry "foul" all you want - but the bottom line it is the ORIGINAL CREDITOR who sold your account to Asset. They are the ones who gave them the information that's in their computer system, and they are the ones who stated you owed a debt. Asset is a third party collector. I worked for them for years in their legal department. People like to blame the company, when in reality it's the original company who stated you never paid off your account and who also sent all the information.

Asset is a publicly traded company now. They cannot risk losing everything they've gained in these past years. They have an amazingly efficient Compliance department that monitors all calls. If an account rep violates the FDCPA, they are written up, and if they continue to violate, then they are fired. Do you think Asset can afford getting sued left and right? And if they really were such habitual offenders of the FDCPA, do you think they would still be standing today? If that were true, every single person with an account would be winning lawsuits.

For every person who really doesn't owe a debt they are charged with, there are three more who do. You cannot purchase a product and then not be expected to pay for it, it does not help the economy and you are only hurting yourself in the end, nobody else. Just BE SMART. Read all of the fine print on contracts (you'll find the original creditor is the one really trying to scam you most of the time) and ALWAYS request a paid in full letter or a cancelation letter when you pay something off so you have proof. Everything you send to Asset is scanned into the computer, and if you honestly have valid proof the debt was paid, they will review it and cancel the collection process. If you don't have any proof, that is NOT Asset's fault.

A good example of this is Bally's. If you called Bally's and asked them to cancel your membership, they would simply say "Okay, no problem." Many people thought they were done and over with it. Bally's would purposely fail to remind the customer that on the back of their contract it states you MUST pay a fee to cancel. They would then continue to rack up the bill, then sell it to a company like Asset to be collected on. Is this Asset's fault? Absolutely not. Is it Bally's? No. They may have incredibly sneaky and unfair practices, yes, but who should've read the contract LINE FOR LINE? The consumer. If you sign something without reading and then fail to make a copy for yourself, you only have yourself to blame.

As for the settlement letter Bekki? They are only good for the timeframe they state. A account rep is usually more then HAPPY to settle out an account, because it's a heck of a lot more money then the monthly payment arrangements they usually set up, trust me. Also, collectors are CONSTANTLY trying to get documents in from original creditors, and that can take forever. Again, trust me, a rep loves nothing more then having proof to show, and if they could they would have it ready for you the next day. It's just not always that easy unfortunately, and I understand the frustration there.

Debt collectors are going to treat you the way you treat them (though I am not saying there are not exceptions). If you answer your phone or call them with a bad attitude, you're going to get it right back. They are doing their job. They get verbally abused every day by people trying to get out of paying for something or another, and they hear every excuse in the book, is it any wonder they might have a hard time believing people? If you are patient with them, they will usually follow suit. If you get a bad collector? Call back. There's a hundred more who can take your call.

I'm not too familiar with accounts that are past-stat. I worked in legal and so the majority of accounts I worked with were a bit more recent then in regular collections but I DO know this - just because an account is past-stat does not mean you do not owe it. It simply means it will not be reported to the CB. If you choose to cease communication, that's your right, go ahead and use it. Just remember that if it's an account we can sue on, you MIGHT want to call back and keep your information updated so that you can actually be aware by mail, of any future legal action the company may take. People cry all day long about "not knowing" they had a debt while they're getting sued - but most of the time it's the people who either never answered their phone, hung up on collectors all of the time, or asked for a cease comm.

Just be smart.

• Mk
    mks Mar 31, 2008

Asset Acceptance called my mother and told her that I had died. Then they told her that they were going to kill me.

MASON Apr 04, 2008

This if for the those peolple out there who THINK that we are in violation with the FDCPA because of something being past stat. You got free money or sevices because you didn't think you needed to pay your debt. Being past stat don't not mean that you are not responsable for you debt. We can collect till the cows come home. The FDCPA dose not protect DEAD BEATS!!! You made you beds. Your not a victim. If ASSET can find you they will!!! PAY YOUR BILL.

Jenni May 02, 2008

After reading the last post, I have to respond. My fiancé and I just dealt with this same exact company and I believe that they are unfair and certainly unethical! He never denied owing a debt. He just didn’t agree with the additional $5000 that had been added on. The big mystery was that no one could explain where the extra $5000 came from. Our question was, if you can’t validate where the extra $5000 came from, then why not make it an extra $15, 000. If you don’t have to validate then why not go for as much as you can. They gave a bunch of hypothetical scenarios and what ifs that meant nothing! We had no problem satisfying what was owed but we refused to pay a dime until the amount owed was fixed. I refused to indirectly obligate myself to their $ amount by making a payment. We sent letters (certified w/ signed receipt) asking for validation. We committed to calling 2 times each month asking for updates and for 6 months they told us it was on order and would be sent as soon as they received it. Then in March, we made our normal call to follow up and they told us they had a judgment against him and didn’t have to send us anything. We had no idea what they were talking about. So we went to the court and sure enough, there was a default judgment for failure to respond to the summons and complaint. We tried to contact lawyers for help and it was going to cost $2000 for an attorney. I decided I would do this myself. I went online to the local cour house websites and found documents from old cases that were successful at getting judgments overturned and I used them as a guide to write my own motion.

I learned that a process server swore that they tried to serve him 5 times and finally considered him served on 1/2/08. That was perfect because he was on vacation and we had the documents to show it. I filed a motion to overturn the judgment, included the travel records, the certified letter and my phone records showing we called them twice a month for 6 months. Our day in court was 2 days ago. The Asset lawyers called us in the hall before seeing the judge and asked us what we thought was an accurate amount. We told him what we thought, he agreed and now everything is being removed from his credit report and the judgment was overturned. He was actually very nice, professional and straight forward. The judge ordered him to write up the settlement within 7 days and we have 7 days to review it, agree or disagree.

It is important not to ignore these things because they won’t go away and that actually works in their favor. Companies like this one like to pursue cases where there is no defendant. If they can move forward with a case and get a judgment without any opposition then they did their job and you made it easy for them. But they are eager to deal when the slightest bit of opposition comes along. I was able to provide quite a bit of evidence that proved our efforts. But you have to keep records of your communication. Document the date and time you called, who you talked to and what you requested. Follow up in writing and send it certified mail with signed proof of delivery. The $5-$8 it cost me to send that letter saved us well over $5000.

Good Luck to you all who are seeking justice. Be proactive.

• Sh
    Sharon May 07, 2008

Just checked my credit report and found Asset Acceptance on there. They apparently bought a debt from a creditor. They listed all kinds of false information about the debt!

They said the debt was opened on 1/2008, which is actually when the purchased the debt! They increased the credit limit by several thousand dollars and then added on several thousand dollars as the balance owed!

Not only that but this is added on to the credit report as an additional debt owed on top of the original creditor. They also sent a letter saying that they are representing the original creditor as a collection when on the credit report it lists them as the debt purchaser.

I will be sending a letter of Production which is the same as validation. It pretty much asks them to prove everything about the debt, and yes they do have to answer this, it is the law! And they have 28 days to respond. After that there are other things that can be done. Believe me I am not going to let these predators get away with all their lies!

I can't afford an attorney, but have a very sweet lady attorney who is helping for free. She is also tired of seeing these predators preying on the ignorance or should I say the lack of knowledge of the consumer.

Also, NO they do not legally have the right to bring up an old debt beyond the time allowed in your state... you can fight this and win. Everyone should get together and do a class action suit against them. Actually it would probably look better if everyone did an individual suit against them, not sure on that one.

If anyone would like the layout of a letter of Production, I would be happy to do it for you.

• Lo
    Loi May 09, 2008

What if AA got an arbitration award confirmed and turned into a judgment. They have now sent a request for production of documents and interrogatorries. Can it be ignored?

• Aa
    AA-LLC must be stopped Jun 17, 2008

It just goes to show you how far this country has fallen when an outfit like Asset Acceptance is allowed to stay in business.

There are countless pages on countless sites of their willful and reckless violations of federal law, and the shameless shill posters above defending them deserve a special place in hell alongside the directors of Asset Acceptance.

How much does this flim-flam sham of a company donate to the politicians so that they can continue to operate in such flagrant violation of the law?

• Wh
    what2do Jun 20, 2008

I don't know how a company like this isn't ILLEGAL - People shouldn't be harassed for the rest of their lives about a debt, it's ridiculous!

File a report against Asset Acceptance, LLC with the Better Business Bureau - You can do this online and it's FREE

• Om
    omg Jun 20, 2008

It's interesting that the people here who support Asset Acceptance aren't addressing issues such phone calls at all hours, saying that if you're still on the phone then you've validated that you are the debtor. Therefore, they keep calling, even though it's only your voicemail that's picked-up. Many times, they're not even reaching the right person who no longer has that phone number, but they don't care and call for YEARS.

Also, I'd love to hear what Asset Acceptance supporters would say about stories I've read on other sites that discuss how they paid their debt to Asset Acceptance, only to have their debt sold again and the new collection agency wants to be paid as well.

Asset Acceptance has also fabricated debts for many people, there are plenty of stories where people have NEVER HEARD OF the company they allegedly owe!

For these Asset Acceptance employees, I'm sure it makes them sleep well at night knowing that they're hunting down people for a charged-off debt from 15+ years ago - yeah I'm sure you totally believe that people should be harassed FOR LIFE about a debt - that sure sounds fair - NOT!!!

phil Jul 25, 2008

A message stating that you are the debtor by listening is basically Asset's way of protecting themselves legally. it is called a "Foti" message, named for a debtor who sued a collection agency stating he would recieve messages and not know who from, just call me about a personal matter. A judge agreed with the debtor and so Asset requires its reps to leave the "foti" message... by continuing to listen you acknowledge that you are the dbtr, it identifies who and what we are and at the same time tells anyone who is not the debtor to stop listening if the msssage is not for them.

As far as recieving calls at any hour, you as a consumer are protected by the FDCPA, so if you are recievings calls before or after the hours outlines the co. is in violation and you should try to seek legal action. As an employee of AACC I know we dont violate because we dont open before we can call, and are off the system before the cut-off time so anyone claiming to get calls before 8am or after 9pm from Asset Acceptance is a LIAR!

One more thing. A debt is a debt, if you feel you dont have to pay for something you got because it is off you credit or past the statute then you are basically a theif. Yoy cant get a car loan and claim to have voluntarily turned the car in to the dealer- what about the bank that purchased the car for you and is expecting their monthly pymnts, further more you just abandoned the vehicle and the dealer will probably just sell it again. Getting consumer and retail credit cards is the same, you use the store card to make purchases that you never pay for, you use the credit card far any # of things and never pay what you owe IT IS CALLED STEALING, there are people who have been incarcerated for less. Having financial difficulty is a part of life, everyone basically goes throug it at some point, it doesnt give you the righ to steal from people, there is no reason for any company to have to call you 20 years later about an account you neglected to pay.

This is how it goes... 1st few month or year, you get the calls and tell the collector you are unemployed no $ etc in the mean time you are applying for credit making new purchases, which the collector already knows from updates-they also know your lying about being unemployed. This goes on for years, you pick up the phone curse and yell at the collector, say you're broke, family members deceased, never had the account when you already said you cant pay only because no $, just make excuse after excuse until the statute runs out or it is off the credit report, now when you get the call its I'm never going to pay that because I dont have to. I can say this from years of collection experience, the bottom line is PAY YOUR BILLS!!!

• Ga
    GAgirl Aug 06, 2008

Asset has been calling me at all hours of the day. Luckily I have a software on my phone that blocks thier calls and gives them a busy signal. I have already told them, I am NOT paying. it doesn't matter that i'm a dead beat or not. you can insult me all you want. The bottom line is - you are not getting a dime from me. I don't owe asset acceptance. if anything, i owe the original creditor and I more than paid them back in interest. We can both be thieves. I agreed to thier high interest, they agreed to taking a chance on not getting thier money back. I dont see asset acceptance on my credit report. maybe its still listed under the original credit. they ruined my credit, I paid by paying higher rates on other loans. I won't lose any sleep over it. I even had another credit agency call me phone to ask for someone that wasn't me. I told them so, only to get abused. you can win with these people. I don't care if you are doing your job or not. I don't care. and I don't want to be bothered.

• Ga
    GAgirl Aug 06, 2008

one more thing asset acceptance paid about 1 penny on the dollar on the very old debts they buy - it would be a cold day in hell before I pay them anything more than 2 cents on the dollar. that gives them a 100% ROI

Marine01 Aug 28, 2008

I have read through every response in this blog here... I am currently an employee with the company Asset Acceptance LLC. The individual that stated they worked in the legal department hit a lot of issues that are true. I am also a consumer, the same as all the people who believe that Debt Collectors use brutal scare tactics. I just want to give a quick simple break down of a lot of the things I read about in this block, and give you the best retrospect of the truth from what I know being well educated on the FDCP (Fair Debt Collection Practice) act.

1. Original Creditor - may not necessarily be who you remember because it may be the company that funded the product, or credit card that was used to acquire such debt. (ie. Chase bank finances loans for retail stores, so original creditor may be just Chase Bank, or Chase Bank/best buy)

2. Accounts that appear on the Credit Bureaus more then once by Original Creditor as well as Asset Acceptance LLC. - this is true, but if you look carefully on the Credit Report, the Original Creditors will report that the account had been charged off (is simply an accounting term meaning they sold the debt and have no further association with the debt) and should also show "purchased by another lender" or something of the sort. This simply means that once paid, both will be reflected accordingly.

3. Statute of Limitations - there are two types of statute of limitations, neither which state a debt is no longer owed. The first kind is the Statute of Limitations an account can be reported to the Credit Bureau, this is 7 years from the date the account was first reported to be delinquent (same in every state), the second form is Statute of Limitations for legal action (this is dictated state per state) Some cases this is shorter then the 7 years the for the credit bureau, but in some it is longer. Most companies have a certain criteria they need before they can submit for suit.

4. Debt Validation - this is as simple as informing the consumer to who the original creditor is, the amount owed, and you may request the address of the original creditor. NO WHERE in the FDCPA does it state that a collection agency must provide detailed billing of the original account. If you wanted that, you should have asked for that when it was still with the original creditor. Some times documents like these can be ordered, this however does not have a time period and sometimes documents are not able to be ordered.

5. Balance questions - 90% of the time, the difference in the balance you believe you owe and the amount Asset Acceptance is showing, is because of interest. According to the FDCPA, as long as interest is being accumulated according to the Original Creditors agreement, then it is allowed to be added to the account.

6. Phone calls at all hours - Asset Acceptance has an automated dialing system in which is programmed with the area codes in all the time zones and will not dial numbers that are not with in the FDCPA time frame of a time to call a consumer in regards to a debt.

I am sure there are many more items that can be dabbled over... But let me leave a couple rhetorical questions on the table for consumers to think about (remember, I myself am a consumer)

National Debt? Is this related to the amount of money that has not been repaid by consumers?

Is it really harassing that you receive a phone call from someone who is trying to help you find a way to repay a bill? (and yes most of the time, depending on the way a consumer reacts to the word Debt Collector, determines on how much a collector wants to help them pay a bill)

If everybody said this isn't mine and Debt Collection companies simply said "ok, great we will remove this from your credit report and never collect on this account again" wouldn't everyone deny they ever had an account? (why the burden of proof is on the consumer to show ID Theft, or paid prior accounts)

Would you enjoy being called a different derogatory name every 15 minutes for doing your job?

Why do so many people try so hard to figure out a way not to pay their bills, when it usually takes less effort, less stress, and better results to find ways to pay them?

What would companies do, if they couldn't sell their past due accounts to someone willing to collect on them? go out of business? Then what would consumers do to get necessities?

Now with this being said, I want to reiterate the fact that I am also a consumer, and have bills of my own, and have had to deal with collection of past due accounts. Financial difficulty is unfortunately a normal part of most peoples lives at least once in a lifetime... My simple advice, is be patient and willing to work with a Debt Collector if they call you... Do some research on the FDCPA and find out your rights as a consumer and if you have trouble understanding it (Because it does have a bit of a legal jargon to it) then seek help from an attorney... We will be more then happy to communicate with them in regards to an account.

Also, a quick tid-bit about getting an attorney... If your going to pay for an attorney, then provide us their name and number, if not that's a waste of your money because with out that information we can not contact the attorney for you.

Filing Bankruptcy - Just because you are in the process and have talked to a lawyer does not mean collection efforts will stop... most of the time the attorney is just going to make you pay a retainer fee, and then make you do all the leg work, before they will even right up the bankruptcy to submit to the court... Usually quite a long process in which we could have already taken care of the account.

Today's society is driven off credit, and in order to help the economy move forward and grow, consumers need to be more self aware of their credit and the repayment of debt. The more outstanding Debt there is in the economy, the higher interest rates will be, the more business' will eventually got out of business due to the lack of ability to give credit to consumers.

Well, I know this is only one persons opinion on one company and its specific purpose. But, I really do hope that this helps consumers out and maybe this can be my one contribution to society and its falling economy.

• Cr
    craig Aug 31, 2008

Asset acceptance is a piece of crap company ! PERIOD ! The people that "work" for this company are idiots ! I have read 1000 websites about this company... if you notice the ARE THE ONLY ONES that have this many complaints. They LIE all the time !! They tell you after you pay your debt they will delete it from your credit report for you!! THEY LIE !! You ask them for all original documents (WHICH IS REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW FOR THEM TO PROVIDE OR DELETE ACCOUNT) and they cannot find them so they send you a fake document. They are a bunch of bottom feeders and ARE going to burn in hell ! They are the NUMBER ONE reason why america is falling apart money wise. People like that ! companies like that ! The ONLY reason they are still in businesss after soooo many complaints is because you need to get alot of signatures on a piece of paper and file a class action lawsuit ... which I am compiling at this moment !! If you fell victim of this company email me whenever you can... [email protected] LETS FIGHT THEM TOGETHER !! ### can burn in hell...

• Av
    a victim? Sep 11, 2008

In response to the debt collector.Your defense of Asset Acceptance and any other debt collector is understandable-you get paid from their tactics.I had an excellent credit rating, adventured into a business matter which cost me everything I had worked 50 yrs for. I got taken by Mexican nationals who you can not find because they are not who they say/appear to be.Then I became ill, parents became ill, not able to work, husband ill/died no insurance, you could say in a bad situation. tried to get control of debt, offered hardship offers, followed them to the tee then was turned down, papers got lost in the mail - oh so sorry we will just continue to add $500/mo late fees/over your limit and 23%interest so your balance goes from 6k to 13k before they sell it.Then the phone calls come.every day threatening, we're taking your vehicle, your wages, anything we can attach, your credit is/will be ruined.we want $4000/mo . Oh OK we will do 3k and by the way now you owe 20k. Yes this is Florida and yes they took me to small claims court 3 months before the expiration date.The judge said I had to pay monthly but no judgement was handed down.I still do not understand that.No papers from court were sent to me afterwards. .The judge asked the Asset man on the phone if they would work with me they said they would negotiate but when home on the phone it was the same 20k + court costs.Oh yes if i could pay it off early the amount would come down.Well a year later when asked what the payoff would be for two months in a row - not even a response. Asset paid 2.9 cents on a inflated 13k bill which means they paid $440.They have received 1600 from me so far. Still bugging me about those papers to sign.well I'm not agreeing to sign and if you think this practice is fair you have a whole different set of values. And the bank has insurance when they write you off the insurance pays.It kind of like if you take a life insurance policy and only pay out 5k and your husband or you die they pay the full amount not just the 5k paid in.It is after all UNSECURED Debt.I lost it all I didn't whine /take lives. Because of Assets tactics and some others the demeaning condescending talk I seriously thought of suicide.If it not were for having to care for my parents and the love of my 2 grand-kids I had to help care for, I probably would have done it.Yes to stay in business a profit must be made but this is just a tad too much. I still think of stopping the payments because it is a hardship on myself and my parents.so if you can sleep at night knowing what your company does to people great.They are making billions thats right billions. The mob had better rates than this.

phil Sep 15, 2008

wake up people, pay your bills!!!, you can make all the excuses in the world, write all the negative feedback in the world, the bottom line is you dont want to pay for something you have already benefited from, why pay for a credit card that you cant use anymore now that its charged-off and in collections, you think its free $, you used the card brought merchandise, got cash advances etc. now you owe!! its called financial responsibility. why would you run up a credit card to $5, 000 if you cant pay it, if you charge 5000 dollars in september, when your bill comes the beginning of october you need to be in a position to pay the 5000 back, not 20 dollars. this is how people get into these situations, a credit card is not something you should be using to gas up, or go on shopping sprees when you have no $. you pay interest on any unpaid balance remaining on the account, if you dont make at least the minimun payment(again, very irresponsible) you get hit with late fees, max out the card and you will get hit with over the limit fees, now your upset, you say the credit card company is robbing you, you didn't know how high the interest was, they charged you a bunch of fees (all things you agreed to in order to have the card issued and activated). Now as a collector I would say we aren't the crooks the credit card companies are, but I would be wrong too, we live in a capitalist society, no business operates to put $ in the consumers pocket, the credit companies charge interest, fees etc. to make $, why else would they be in business, just to give you $ are they supposed to be charities. And just because a collection agency may buy accounts for pennies on the dollar, it doesnt mean you get to pay that amount, remember what a business is, thousands of employees dont pay themselves, companies dont operate with no $$, of course they have to turn a profit, but that should't be you concern anyway, if you owe 10k you owe 10k, be greatful collectors offer any settlements at all. you would't go to a department store demanding the price from a 4th of july sale when its the middle of winter, that deal is gone, take advantage when its offered. Dont call a collection agency make demands, telling people what they are going to do for you, personally if you call me or even if i call you to make payment arrangements i wont give you the best deal if your being an ###, bottom line, no one will, and if you do get a settlement and dont have to pay the whole thing, jump on it, chances or when you need to pay it ie. buying a home, trying for loan I probably wont offer a deal, the company knows you have to pay the bill, they got the update that you were working with a mortgage or loan company days before you decided to call.
    Now everybody goes through hardship, its called LIFE, it doesnt mean you get to go around stealing from people, now if there was a law that punished people for not paying back debt I bet you would pay then, the bottom line is that there is no consequence besides possibly being sued and being on the credit report and everyone knows it, there are people who are new the US that know that they can get a credit card (some times without a SSN) run up 10 of thousands of dallars and care less about paying it back, and no companies not recover $ from insurance because you didn't pay them back, that is the reason they sell the debt, if they got $ from insurance why would they sell the debt, if i ran a company i would just wipe-out the debt the issuse you credit aain over and over and just collect the insurance. Consumer debt is the main reason our economy is doing so bad, If collection agencies like ASSET ACCEPTANCE didnt but the debt it would be even worse, the creditors would keep raising interest rates to make up for their losses. Most people probably wont see it this way but the collection industry in whole saves american familes a few hundred dollars a year by returning $ to the lenders

phil Sep 15, 2008

one more thing, sure you will see lots of web postings about AACC and other collections agencies, people saying to call them to let them know about collectors calling you, you can sue. these people are called attorneys, they are looking for collection companies to violate the FDCPA, Why, because THEY WANT TO GET PAID TOO!!! They will even coach you on tactics to use to get a collector to violate the FDCPA, the thing is a company like Asset is very aware of this, they train their collectors constantly to look out for this. I'm sure Asset has been sued in the past and has lost but that comes with being a publicly traded company, the company as a whole doest call people all hours and curse at people and call back to back to back and harass people or any of the things I have read, now if it does happen Its an isolated incident, its not as if they train collector to harass people, collections does get a bad name but its mainly because of the way the industry was in the past, hence the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act was put into place to hold people responsible for their actions, calling people back to back to back, calling people names threating suit when you cant or are not able to, basically calling someone and being a complete ###. Now i'm not saying some agencies dont do that even today but those types of companies are shut down, we hear about it all the time. As an employee of Asset you say of course I'm going to defend the company but nothing I've said is a lie, sure some collectors are horrible, I've experienced it myself, a collector from a different agency calling me at work, realizing I'm a debt collector, yelling being rude, demanding to speak with my supervisor about my personal debt ( a total violation of FDCPA). The point I'm trying to make is that AACC is not that type of business, they have too much at stake as basically a leader in the entire industry, furthermore I would not work somewhere where I heard those sort of things going on on the phone

• Bl
    Blocking AACC Just Got Easier Sep 22, 2008

One of the AACC people here, "Jen", mentioned Bally Total Fitness. She went on to say that Bally had a sneaky contract, but that it was neither AACC's nor Bally's fault that so many people refuse to pay the "debt". "You have only yourself to blame", Jen states.

The FTC disagrees. So much so, that Bally paid $120, 000 in 1994 to get settle FTC charges regarding the cancellation practices you casually pass off as the "consumer's fault". And that's only the beginning of its troubles. In 2004, it was investigated yet again, and subsequently had to comply with the NY SA. Three years after that - just last year - Bally filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. It's not over yet, either. Again, this year, the SEC filed financial fraud charges against Bally. While the latter of Bally's troubles are not relevant to its contract victims, I just wanted to add it in there because this info is so easy to find that you've no excuse for your ignorance. I'd say that if you're going to bring up an example so specific, at least be informed about it.

My Bally contract is from the time leading up the 1994 FTC charges. A lot of people are bitter about Bally, myself included. In my opinion, AACC bought tainted debt. It's probably going to remain AACC's debt, too.

"Jen" wrote 211 days ago (from the time of my post here) and perhaps won't look back on this particular thread. But there are many of us former Bally victims out there, and her mention of it underscores that. If you're reading this because AACC is annoying you about a 10-20 year-old Bally (f.k.a President's Health Club, among others) contract, you're not alone. The collectors in this thread are telling you that all debt with your name/SSN is legit, which is obviously untrue. They do have an agenda and they're not paid to be forthcoming with you.

I'm not offering any advice on the matter. But for myself, I won't pay for an illegal/illegitimate contract, no matter who owns the "debt" now. I have paid every other debt in my life - I have good credit and have so for years. The fact of the matter is, AACC can't and won't touch me or anyone else in my particular boat.

And finally... there is technology out there to prevent AACC from ever ringing your telephone. I'm not suggesting that you blow off your current debt (don't get in more trouble)! I'm saying that there are more and more ways to block calls from AACC and others like them, if that's what needs to be done. For me, I'm far outside of the credit reporting and lawsuit grasp of AACC and I stand behind my decision not to give them a penny. Look into various software and hardware solutions (very inexpensive [some are free]). Even the telcos are getting hip with this and will be offering solutions (many free) to block AACC and others from ringing your phone.

• Do
    Don L Sep 22, 2008

Asset Acceptance uses computer generated calls to search for listings with the same initial and last name and even names that sound like the one they seek. The software is a "skip search" program that can generate calls to any number of people. It does this completely untended by real people. If they call 25 people they knowingly call unnecesarilly 24 of them. This is undoubtedly an intrusion into the privacy of these people. Under do not call laws they violate the spirit, intent and the letter of these laws.

Indiana has laws against the use of computer generated calls in other circumstances as well. I you are in Indiana you are urged to file a complaint with the Office of the Attorney General. Do a search for "do not call Indiana" The links will guide you to the right place.

Asset Acceptance needs to clean up their act. The posts that support AACC are bogus. These people know they are less than truthful.

phil Sep 28, 2008

About the whole Ballys thing, I dont think anyone would actually side with Ballys, but I think the point was about showing how a lot of people are financially irresponsible when it comes to certain issues. You are at Ballys speaking with a SALES REP about signing up, you provide SSN, drivers liscense, and even make a down payment towards an installment loan and you sign a contract. Now the whole time the SALES REP was making false promises, maybe about this just being a free trial or that you can cancel anytime just let them know, the actual contract that you signed(right below the statement that warns you not to sign without reading or to sign with any blank spaces on the contract) probably contradicts everything the SALES REP promised, you cant just cancel for any reason, there needs to be a medical reason with sufficient proof from a doc, you need to have moved to a location where there is no Ballys within a certain amount of miles. There is a 50$ fee with any and all cancellations and this needs to be sent to their corporate office via certified mail. You cant just call the gym where you signed up, get your SALES REP back on the phone and the say sure no problem you're cancelled. Its like going to a car dealership and getting a bunch of promises from a SALES REP but when you sign the contract it doesnt have any of the thing you were promised IN WRITING. It sounds cliche but you HAVE to READ something before you sign it, then you can call the SALES REP on all the lies they told you and can THEN decide to not do business with a co that is such a scam, but after you have signed the contract you're pretty much stuck, and I'm sure fines of 120, 000$ or anything like that means nothing to Ballys if this happened in 1994 or 2004, they are still in business doing the same thing, they would sign the same person up over and over and over again, send all the contracts to collections and the person doesnt even realize they are even signing a contract until they get the collection calls, they use SSNs different than the person who is signing up the person who owns the SSn has no idea what is going on because the SALES REP just put their SSn on the contract(probably didn't want to scare the customer away by getting ssn) Now in those cases I probably wouldnt pay, but just because you called and supposedly "cancelled" your contract but didn't cancel properly then you owe the bill, that was not something beyond your control, you could have read the piece of paper you were signing

• Hm
    hmyeahwhatever Nov 12, 2008

Hey...that is for that guy who was so "nice" to explain to us all how good AA is for all of us...ummm..here... ### you! Now, it was almost insulting but I did read your post, so have dignity to read mine. I'm getting sued by your "awesome" company for something I do not owe, never did. Didn't find out about it till got a summons. I'm fighting it as mush as I could, but hey you are such a "nice" and " smart " company that you don't ever have to validate anything for anyone, right. Oh, and that comment about contacting original creditor that you so "kindly" left for us, consumers to munch on, THANK YOU, man. How did I haven't thought about it before...only I did and they can't even find it...though AA claiming it to be from 2006...hmmm. So here " Mr.Idon'tgivea###" ya can go and tell those stories on road to recovery for morans meeting or else where. Place where you are not praying on people's nightmares and sorrow.

• Th
    The Dead One Nov 18, 2008

You know what. I understand how most of these ppl feel. you get calls every day for 5 years for a debt that should have been paid by health insurance. Lets see you rember to file insurance paperwork when your son fractures his skull at 14 days old. Lets see during that five years i only lived at that number for like maybe 8 months. So they harassed my parents for 5 years You tell them you will pay the bill in payments but they still call your cell with their lovely Texas Numbers. O yeah never gave em my cell number would lovbe to know how they got that info. Don't leave voice mail and don't tell you who they are. I did a reverse Number search. Even though you have already told them you will pay the debt off and you havent even gotten the letter from them yet. Thats A little ridiculous. O yeah and the original Debt is like 2/3 of the balance they tell you to pay off. Makes no sense. So yeah you lovely AACC Employees trying to defend your company I know for a fact the dont have the Proper info. I have the original bill.

• Yu
    yuckfooAACC Dec 18, 2008

To the employees of AACC posting on here...looks maybe your either an innocent naive employee or maybe your someone who's job it is to do social marketing/networking, etc. on sites like this and I really don't care, but you should read this post!

In reading the previous posts, as well as my own experiences with AACC here's my major problems with the company.

*Stipulation - yes, some people are dead beats and want to avoid their obligation to pay their debts.
    *Stipulation - yes some of the information that AACC presents is only as good as what they receive from the OC.

Problems with AACC:

*When informed from a client that they're attempting to extract money from that it's not their debt. AACC does not do their due diligence to go back to the OC and verify the facts, they treat everyone as a ###!!

*As for being a publicly traded company and not risk losing everything...are you ###ing kidding me?? Let's do a little word association kids...Enron, Worldcom, Bernard Madoff Securitites, Sub-Prime Mortgage Loans, etc. etc. etc. The point here is that most public companies actually lack any moral fiber...why, because they must c0ntinue to feed the beast - their investors!!

*Debt validation - an emplyee "debt collector" basically blew off the whole debt validation process as unecessary, claiming all that AACC needed to provide was "informing the consumer to who the original creditor is, the amount owed, and you may request the address of the original creditor"...as well as this beautiful gem "If you wanted that, you should have asked for that when it was still with the original creditor." - the problem is that in a world where everyone that AACC contacted was a ### trying to avoid paying their debt then this would be true, but for those who are legitimately the victims of ID theft, clerical errors by the OC, etc. it's the responsibility and as a publicly traded company the fiduciary responsibility when challendge to provide accurately verifiable information!!

*Oh and "Collector" you are the dumbest of all...your entire premise of your rant is that everyone is a deadbeat ###, but you never look at the other side of that coin - what about the people that legitimately are being harassed for something that is not theirs? What about the fact that when informed of this your company does not do their due diligence to truly validate the veracity of their claim? When provided with sufficient proof that the debt claim is NOT legitimate why do they continue to pursue action? - I'll tell you why...because AACC and companies like them have found it very profitable for themselves and their shareholders to buy old debts on the cheap and continue to hound and harrass both the innocent and guilty into submission, weather through a settlement agreement to just go away...or worst case by suing them in court and hope the "defendant" doesn't respond and ultimately get a default judgement against them.

OK...I'm stepping off my soapbox now but just want the AACC apologists out there to consider that 1. their company is not the moral authority just because they are publicly traded. 2. that a significant portion of good people do get harrassed unecessarily by AACC. and 3. that if you work at AACC and can sleep at night then you're too far down the food chain to really know about the shell game that 's going on over there!!

• Er
    Eric_A Jan 11, 2009

This outfit has been sending letters and calling my parents over a VISA card with Citibank that I supposedly had in HIGH SCHOOL (?!). The alleged debt dates back to 1988...over 20 years ago. I called them after getting the message(s) from my parents and they said I had to send them, in writing, dispute over a debt of which I have no idea what they are talking about. My CBI is clean, obviously...and I gave them a verbal 'cease and desist' but have no idea what these people are cooking up now based on the horror stories I am reading.

This is like some kind of quasi-legal blackmail outfit! Any advice on how to proceed should they force the issue any further?

• R
    R** Mar 18, 2009

To all those that are being harassed by these thieves and liars, there is hope. Get a lawyer, fight the claim, counter sue them. They have nothing, and their ‘lawyers’ seem to be law school drop outs. Wish I had a bucket of popcorn in court, watching them stammer and stutter in response, to, well, everything.
    They are crooks. They break the law regularly, and count on consumer ignorance to get away with it. They sued me for a debt that was well beyond the SOL, failed to deliver the Summons, and just obtained a default judgement against me.
    In the end, I won. They lost. Since they do not obey the laws, they can’t hold up in court. Don’t be afraid if it goes there. Just find a good debt collection attorney and beat them down like the filthy dogs that they are.

• Da
    dab66 Aug 07, 2009

then how can you negotiate a settlement. they only offered 25% off but i am realy unemployed on a weekly unemployment that is soon running out.

i can only borrow so much
    2100 owed they offered 1533 to settle

can only afford 500

• Re
    red1 Nov 30, 2009

Make sure the debt is not outside the statute of limitations, it is 3 years in some states and 4 in more. This means if the debt is over 4 years old ( or whatever the statute of limitations is in your state) you can not be sued in court for it. You can find out what your statute is free on creditinfocenter.com

• As
    Asset Acceptance Victim Jan 27, 2010

I would like to get with other victims of Asset Acceptance Asset and sue them!

Here is my story: it is 2010 and Asset Acceptance LLC has just stolen $5000 from my bank account. They claim it is from an old $900. visa from 1995. They severed someone with my last name in an other state. That person discarded the summons and Asset Acceptance automatically got a default judgment against me. They then used a Domestic Interstate Transference to transfer the judgment to the state of my residence and take the money plus 15years worth of interest from my account. They are cowards and crooks and they purposely sneak cases through courts without giving you the chance to fight it. Asset Acceptance knows that the only way to win is by default. You often need a lawyer to fight them which is so costly that most people just "give in to them".

I have learned that they constantly troll these blogs because they DO NOT want us to know about each other and they especially do not want us talking to one another. If you see any comments that support their tactics I can guarantee you it is just one of there "employee ### plants"

Organizing together is the key (just "Google" their name and you can see that they MUST be stopped)

I have no legal expertise I am just a another victim who is determined to stop them...I have created an email address just for this fight so feel free to write me at [email protected]

Victims and Lawyers interested in representing a Class Action case against Asset Acceptance are always welcome to email me.
    Sincerely Victim X.

mandelich Jun 07, 2010

I worked as a debt collector there for a few years. First thing I want to say is yes there is some bad collectors there but believe it or not there is also good collectors there. Also keep in mind is the collectors there are just the messengers. I have worked for many other collection companies as well and there is nothing crooked about Asset Acceptance. I wish you could all remember that the people that work there are people too, we have families and we are just working a job like you. Now I know alot of what we do does not make sense but I promise it you read the laws of the FDCPA you would understand more. As a collector there is only so much we can do.
    If you ask for validation, we will provide it for you. Sadly the information we do get is not always complete and yes it can take awhile for us to have that info sent to us than billed to you (Ive seen it takes months), it is whatever the original creditor give us. We say to contact the original creditor because sometimes they will still have record of you but sadly most of the time they don't. This is because we purchase your debt and when we do so we now own everything about your debt so most of the time they will give us everything they have and erase everything about you in their computers. The debt we purchase is debt the original creditor cannot collect, it is sitting in their records for sometime and for whatever reason they cannot call on it. So Asset Acceptance and all other 3rd party collection agencies will buy this debt in bundles for a reasonable price so these first party agencies didn't loose money off of you. We have the ability to skip trace information about you ( mostly trying to find a current number and address) so that we can attempt to resolve the account. Also first party collection agencies don't have the ability to skiptrace. That is why most of the time when we get your debt it will have a wrong number or address on it. The hours we work are such a wide range because we need coverage in all time zones. If you have a area code for one state but live in another state I encourage you to change your number. We cannot purposely call you after 9pm as long as your area code matches your state. We CAN call you if its after 9pm in your state but your area code is in a earlier time zone.
    I understand that we call the wrong people all the time as well as family members, this is what our skiptracing computer program gives us. WE WILL NOT give your info to anybody that is not named on the account. IF A COLLECTOR DOES SO I ENCOURAGE TO SEEK LEGAL ASSISTANCE!!
    As far as being sued, sadly and I know it doesn't seem fair but we are legally able to sue without contact you first. When we do, we are doing it out of a courtesy. This goes with other 3rd party collection agencies as well. The process of our suits there are is actually a long. We must first look over the debt. Being sued will depend on the amount of money the debt is for, if its still reporting on your credit report, if we have a signature on the contract, and many other factors. We also have to read up on the laws for your state to see if all these factors are legal in your state. This process takes FOREVER, and if it does ever make to court, us collectors don't see a bonus off of it. SO with that said, most collectors will look the other way to your account and will try to settle with you instead of having to go through that whole process (it takes us away from making money on the phone and will ruin our daily stats that we have to accomplish for the day). If your debt with us actually makes it to suit they we have plenty of proof of it never being paid and that it is valid and us collectors usually will call you out of courtesy because your debt is probably so high that if we can convince you
    to settle we get the bonus, and we will provide any info you ask for to get you to pay. We offer settlement letters almost every month, not everybody will get them, but if you get a settlement letter you have a month to agree to it and make a payment towards that settlement offer to lock it to your account. We will not approve a settlement offer you got 6 months earlier just because it may be better than the one you go this month. So if its good take it!!! If you don't have the full amount of the settlement, call a collector, we almost will always take payments on a settlement if its alot of money. Best thing to do is keep in contact, the more you talk to us, the bigger chance you will have just one person handling your account, meaning the bigger repore you have with that person meaning the bigger willingness they have to help resolve the debt with you.

I will finally end this because after a few years of working there I still learned new things about the FDCPA and collections laws are always changing, so its hard to try to explain everything to you. I got the job there right after I turned 21 and the things I learned there I will keep for the rest of my life and I have the training there and peoples stories to thank. I understand most of you are upset and I can understand that. Every call there is being recorded and will stay in their records for a year, so if you ever have a complaint about a collector they are able to pull it up. We also note everything to your account, the whole time we are talking on the phone with you, we are typing in the computer. Asset Acceptance does care about resolving the debts in the best possible way. We focus on that during the months training and he have many meeting about it. It may seem like they don't because yes we do make money off of you paying your debt (not much at all, but it can add up). By the end of the day it is a struggle to stay positive for a collector because we can call up to 300 people a day and only collect $50/ day when our goal is $18, 000. I just please encourage everybody to treat the collectors with respect because they have the power to give you a settlement or not, we also understand that you may want to yell to vent your frustrations and that's ok but when you pin the problem on us that's when we get upset. There's so much we can do and trust me I have wanted to do more but just cant without loosing my job. If a collector ever calls you names, threatens jail, tells someone about your debt whoms name is not on the account, you have a valid reason to sue us (or any company) and if you win you have a good chance of having this debt erased. Please read everything you sign. That seems to be the main reason why most people have debt, its that small print that will always get ya. Always ask for a paid in full letter AND KEEP IT FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS! We cannot please everybody that comes through our system but we resolve so many account a day throughout our different locations. We make many people happy and that's why I love being a collector..it feels good to help someone resolve their last debt on their credit so they can buy their dream home or car. I don't wake up everyday saying how am I going to screw someones day over. So please be respectful and don't call us threatening our lives or our families life. We have had plenty of bomb threats, suspicious packages and mail (as well as many other agencies besides us).

jennifer00 Jan 10, 2011

I have read everything to Mandelich, and I have to say that as an unemployed single mom who contacted this company today after they had called and left several messages over an old target account I had, that I did owe on, (they called during regular and appropriate hours), that they were very nice to me on the phone and that when I set up a payment arrangement, I was then advised that a supervisor was going to get on the phone to verify everything. The supervisor and collector were both very nice, decent and respectful to me.

After I got off the phone, I went to check my mail. I checked the mail and found a settlement offer, which tickled me pink! Not only was it affordable, but I acknowledgeed that I did owe the debt, and the settlement offer was for over much less than the original amount I owed with interest. I called them back and they were more than happy to give me the settlement offer, and set up weekly payments to ensure it was paid by the end of this month.

My debt was over 500.00 and my settlement offer was for 160.00, and although the original amount is not huge as others, but I can say that the staff was very thoughtful, kind and respectful to me, and willing to work with me any way they could. I then went to my credit report to see if I had any other unexpected debts, and realized this company has had me in their system for 3 years. They were not harassing to me at all, but have been VERY patient with me, so either I fell through the cracks, or like any other business that has cranky employees, I got lucky ... or I just had an all around good experience. I had an all around good experience.

Jennifer

• Pi
    pio Apr 10, 2011

If this is really happening, Made up stories and unnatuarlly high interest? A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT IS MORE THAN NEEDED ASAP!! MOST people would be glad to pay the bills, if they could and the payments were very low if times are hard for them. Forcing people into bankruptcy is beyond normal. Bankrupt the country? I have always disagreed with the fact that credit card companies can charge late charges and high interest. It should not be allowed.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices