Arwyp Medical CentreService level of the doctors

E Review updated:

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to raise my concern regarding the Dr Wypkema unprofessional service. It never ceases to amaze me that the account requires urgent payment thereof, however when it comes to the patient they see, there seems no urgency or as a matter of fact no interest in the wellbeing of the patient.

Let me explain my complaint;

I brought my husband in after he was involved in a car accident, on 24 January 2016 at 11am, the reception staff was very helpful as well as the 1st nurse, however the problem I have is with the consulting doctor, she came in asked about the accident, listened to his heart, had the nerve to ask my husband to remove his own bandages that the on scene paramedics used, but did not really look at the wounds, his hand was swollen badly which she would have noticed should she have bothered to examined him properly, and without a word left the room, we had to insist to the sister that an x-ray might be needed as we thought it might have been broken, after the nurse did a mediocre job in cleaning and bandaging him – the nurse came back to take him to the x-ray when we got there the doctor wrote to x-ray his arm?! Obviously the doctor knew nothing about her patient and the nurse conveyed the message wrong so I had to run back to casualty where the doctor just scratch out the arm and put in hand without question…. How does that work?!

The people at the x-ray department told us his hand was not broken, we went back to casualties were the doctor never checked if the wound is properly cleaned or if he had other injuries, nor informed us if the hand was broken or not – just wrote a script for pain killers.

It was a horrible experience and it makes you wonder how safe you are in arwyp hospital. I was always a person to speak very highly of arwyp but if this is the doctors they employ then I am most certain that I will rather go somewhere else.

I at least hope that my complaint will be looked into.

Because we as the patients never seem to be listened to, or taken seriously untill something really awful happens, should we really wait for that or could this matter not be resolved.

Can you not employ doctors that is well educated with an empathy for their patients and the knowledge to treat them professionally and with the respect and dignity they deserve.

Regards,

Emilia Nel
[protected]

• Ph
    Phumelela Jun 18, 2021

I’m not one to do this but I think the receptionist I just got off a call with really crossed the line this time around...

I made an appointment to see the ENT in May at 12PM, i was so ill, I took a day off and drove to arwyp medical Center . I told the receptionist I had an appointment with the doctor at 12Pm. The receptionist tells me the doctor has left and she called all the patient’s to come in earlier and not me !

She asks for my last name I tell her, then she claims that the doctor saw me 🤔. I tell that’s not true . She then tells mistakes happen “askies” and walks away.

As she walks out I asked her for a business card or a number that I can call the doctor on for telephonic consultation, she still walks out and points where it is.

Fast forward. Doctor says I should come one Monday he will see me ... again she gives me an attitude telling I didn’t book an appointment, I explain to her that the doctor said I should come at this time.

Doctor explains that I need to do a tonsillectomy. They will contact my medical aid for an approval.

Fast forward, 8 June I call the reception to find out if medical approved or not, she rudely tells me to wait she’s still busy with other patients she will do mine later and hangs up 🙃.

Fine. 9th June I call my medical aid myself and they conform to have approved. On 10th I go to the hospital,

9 days post surgery I experience some painful
    Contraction on my neck, my nose is drooling . throat is bleeding. I call the receptionist to ask if I can maybe consult the doctor, she shuts me out completely, first she complains that I’m not loud enough (which true because I’m still recovering)

She tells me to come at 2PM, the time is 11am, I’m in pain ... I ask for the doctor numbers she says she can’t give me that number, I ask for the same number she once gave to me she eventually gives.

All in all, I’ve had a very good experience with the dr Makaulule, his helped my son with his sleep apnea, I could call whenever there were issues and he helped me.

With the receptionist I’ve been holding things back . She’s rude. She will shout as if I’m a child. She has an attitude .. I don’t think this is a way to treat patients especially when they’ve expressed that they are in pain !!!

I really which the ent had a another practise with a different receptionist, because truly speaking his a good doctor !!!