Arm and Hammer Peroxi-CareBurned my mouth

B

Arm and Hammer Peroxi-Care... my mouth and lips starting getting numb after a couple of days of using this product. It got so bad I could not taste anything anymore and I can only describe the inside of my mouth as 2nd degree burns on all surfaces. I have used Arm and Hammer toothpaste in the past with no problem. This new stuff is total crap. Luckily my taste came back after about a week of discontinued use or there would be a huge lawsuit! Many other complaints can be found online.

• Ta
    tatjanaf Jan 30, 2012

I bought this and didn't know what was happening to my mouth and lips! I though it was a cold sore, but the doctor said it wasnt that or fungus ... walls inside mouth feel burnt. got a small rash under the lips. I now know it;s the Arma dn hammer toothpaste. it's HORRIBLE! Needs to be banned.

Sal Somma Jan 08, 2019

@tatjanaf Same thing happened to me. I have used this product before and it was great. The swelling in my mouth was scary.

• Ki
    Kiz1 Apr 26, 2019

@tatjanaf Hmmm... exact thing happened to me, took a while before I realized it was the toothpaste, and I had used it before but this is HORRIBLE and should be BANNED! I’m still nursing the pain.

• Mj
    MJCD Apr 08, 2012

Burned my lips leaving cracks on sides and 2 inch burn mark on skin --FDA needs to remove it

• Mj
    MJCD Apr 08, 2012

FDA needs to remove it BURNED MY SKIN AND LIPS

• Ar
    Arizona Bill Apr 16, 2012

Burned my wife's mouth, bottom lip swelled up and chin went numb. This stuff is really nasty. Not all people react this way, but enough complaints and injuries online to pull it.

• Fe
    FeldWill Dec 23, 2012

I use toothpaste once in a while to dry up zits. I have used Crest and other regular toothpastes before. I put Arm and Hammer PeroxiCare overnight and woke up with red rug burn type spot the size of a dollar coin on my face. This stuff burned my skin. I guess it's not the right use for a toothpaste. But it's something to think about.

• Ca
    Carriedavis1 Jan 25, 2013

My husband and I have experienced raw and swollen lips! Who do we contact??? I am very disappointed !!
    Carrie Davis Fayetteville, Arkansas

• Jp
    jpmk Oct 11, 2018

@Carriedavis1 I just used Arm and Hammer once the other night. The next day I had what I would call a burn under my lower lip. Today, my both lips look like I had injections to make them bigger and my gums are swollen and my tongue feels numb. I threw the entire tube in the trash and have gone back to Colgate. I know that it will take time to heal. This toothpaste should be removed from the stores.

• Be
    Beccatxvt Mar 28, 2013

I knew it was the toothpaste!! I used this product and had to go to the doctor from the burning and scars and blisters. I now have permanent discoloration on my face from burning and scars. I called the company, they offered me my money back on the tube of toothpaste. Really?... five dollars for permanent discoleration? Then they had their lawyers call me, but I have not called them back yet. I am very upset by the discoloration it has left on my face. Luckily I took pictures of it before and after. Does anyone else have scarring? I have never been on this board before, so I am not sure how it works. I found it specifically to find out of anyone else was scarred from this toothpaste.

• Ji
    Jimbo1249 Jan 31, 2019

@Beccatxvt please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com regarding this...I have info

• Es
    Estradamom Jun 27, 2019

@Beccatxvt I too have had a bad reaction as well and I’m left with scares and discoloration on my chin. For the past two years it would appear and then go away. I thought it was a hormone thing. I would alternate toothpaste though out the year. And now looking back I would get the skin reaction during my use of arm and hammer tooth paste until recently I pin pointed that all along it was these product. Super upset that it has caused me a lot of pain and embarrassment. Who can we contact about these ?

• Mi
    Miguelon Nov 14, 2013

I have used this product and I have had the same problem. Swelling of the lips, cracking in the corners of the mouth, burning and dry lip edges which has remained somewhat reddish after almost a week of discontinuing use of the product. It is terrible. My lips are still a bit chapped and numb feeling as well, even now. A few days ago, I didn't want to even go into public areas because it looked and felt so bad. I used Neosporin Lip Moisturizer on them, but the burning is still going on from the inside to the outside. After about a week and my lips are still soar and burning with little feeling. Does anyone know who to contact about suing for this type of thing?

• Ro
    Ross939 Apr 27, 2015

I. Have concluded that I had the exact same reaction to this Peroxicare Toothpasmte as others, here. I bought some about a year ago and my mouth, lips, gums and tip of my tough became badly swollen, red and irritated. At the time, I assumed it was a real bad case of cold sores, even, even though there were no kanker-type blisters. I didn't associate it with the toothpaste, I just figured the toothpaste burned so bad because of the herpe infection in my mouth. Now, one year later, I picked up another tube, and the same exact thing happened. It then occurred to me that perhaps the toothpaste had something to do with it. After much online research, I'm sure of it.

• Wa
    Wantsnc May 31, 2015

Small blisters inside my lips and on the edges of my tongue. I hadn't had this problem before but I noticed when I brushed my teeth this last time it tasted different and I felt a burning inside my mouth. I did drink a Pepsi just before I brushed my teeth. Could it be a combination of the soda followed by the toothpaste that caused this type of a reaction?

• Li
    LilBear Jun 06, 2015

I am having the same reaction - swollen, dry, burning lips and sores inside my mouth that I thought were cold sores! I suspected it might be the toothpaste! Arm and Hammer for healthy gums is what I'm using but now it is going in the garbage! This toothpaste needs a warning label or better yet pulled from the shelves!

• Te
    Terry327 Jul 04, 2015

I developed a red rash/irritation under my lower lip. I went to two different physicians and was prescribed ointments to help. One physician said it liked like a chemical burn. The ointments didn't help so I discontinued use after a month . One of the physicians thought it may be peri-oral dermatitis. Because I typically get toothpaste under my lip when brushing in an area similar to the discoloration, I decided to change my brand of toothpaste from arm and hammer toothpaste for healthy gums to Sensydyne. I'm happy to report that after a week, the area is much improved. Who thought toothpaste could be the culprit?

• Jl
    Jlou Aug 11, 2015

Add me to the list of vvictims! This is the second time I have tried the Periox-Care and the second time I have had a reaction to it after using it only two nights in a row. I woke up this morning with dry, cracked, and swollen lips. The roof of my mouth is also irritated. Will not EVER try this paste again.

• Am
    Ams mom Nov 17, 2015

I so agree with all these symptoms!!! I had a swollen tongue as well as peeling blisters on my gums!! The pain was so intense that I felt as if my gums were severely burnt!!! The pain was excruciating !!! I finally figured out that it was the Arm & Hammer peroxicare!!! Ban this stu[censored] My tastebuds and mouth are still recovering after a week of cessation :0

• S2
    S2016 Jan 24, 2016

I've used the A&H Perioxicare before and yes, it's a bit strong. But I would categorize the effect as a burn. HOWEVER, when I used their Sensitive -- from the makers of Orajel toothpaste, that's when my burn occurred. First I thought it was a saliva issue... and stopped using it after the first 2 times figuring it would go away after 10 minutes, just like the Perioxicare does. However, strangely, it was only inside my lower lip from the tissue at the top down to the 'crevice' that attaches at the bottom of my gums/jawbone. Nowhere else. Took me more time to realize that this is an actual burn!!! OMG. Moreover I see on the box it says, in TINY TYPE ON THE BACK "do not use longer than 4 weeks." Really?! That's a significant warning. I am contacting the company and the FDA as well.

• S2
    S2016-rev Jan 29, 2016

oops... "would NOT categorize it a burn. However..." Apologies

• Gi
    Ginger Ramzihc Aug 06, 2016

I began using Arm and Hammer Peroxicare after I stopped for about 3 months. The reason I stopped was because I thought it was the cause for cracks in the corners of my mouth and irritation in my mouth. All was well, then I decided to "experiment" and use it again to see if the same thing would happen. Well, I can say that as I write this, my mouth has cracks where my top and bottom lips meet and the inside is sore and tender.
    This really needs to be taken off store shelves. Obviously, a LOT of people are having the same reaction to it so something is wrong.

• Al
    Aleggra Oct 15, 2016

I thought I was having a food reaction when my lips began burning and swelling. But it happened again after using Arm and Hammer Peroxicare toothpaste just once. My lips began itching and tingling after brushing my teeth. I looked in the mirror and my bottom lip was red, swollen and cracked. Plus they were dried out. I immediately put olive oil on them but it didn't help. This toothpaste is like acid. I've used the regular Arm and Hammer baking soda toothpaste without peroxide without problems. There needs to be a warning. I thought peroxide was good for the gums. Arm and Hammer must be adding a very abrasive mixture to its Peroxicare toothpaste.

• Br
    Brenda Breedlove Dec 19, 2016

I had the same problems with painful gums/mouth. I didn't know what it was but I feel that it is my Arm and Hammer baking soda/peroxide toothpaste! I don't even like to eat everything due to everything stick to my gums. It's like my mouth is without salvia and my mouth is constantly burning. I just hope I can enjoy Christmas food this year! I plan on throwing it away! This is the second time I tried using this toothpaste I I had a problem about 2 to 3 months ago and change a lot of things trying to figure out my problem. I change so much I didn't realize that it was my tooth paste until I tried Arm and Hammer again and within 4 days my mouth was on fire as well as being so very dry!

• Aq
    Aqueya Cross Jan 08, 2017

I've experienced the same thing, cracks on side of my mouth. As well as extra dry and chapped lips. I know it's the arm and hammer toothpaste. It happened on three different occasions after using that toothpaste, years apart.

• Es
    Estresso Jan 10, 2017

Last year during this time I started get cracks on the sides of my lips and I bought aquaphor and heavily moisturized my lips because I thought it was because of the cold weather. It went on for months maybe 2-3 months even when I went on vacation the LA my lips were still cracked in the warm weather. Until recently I started a fresh tube of Arm & Hammer baking soda & peroxide, that I realized this might be the cause of the problem. I see that other people are having the same effects as me!

• Be
    Becky Bobbitt Mar 28, 2017

I have had the same terrible reaction from using the Arm & Hammer toothpaste with peroxide and baking soda for extreme whitening. My whole mouth is on fire, inside and out and it feels like needles in my mouth. I can't eat or drink anything that is even remotely hot.
    When I look at the dates of the other complaints, I can see that this has been going on for years! How can they be continuing to sell this product?? Maybe we should all be part of a class action lawsuit and get this product off the shelves forever!
    Becky
    Pekin, IL

• Na
    nazcar Apr 07, 2017

I have been using Arm and Hammer toothpaste with peroxide and baking soda and seem to be progressively losing my tastebuds. I have stopped using it at this point but will retain my tube of toothpaste pending legal review.
    Tim
    Florida

• Sh
    Sherece Richards Apr 19, 2017

Same reaction as mentioned above by everyone. Chapped swollen lips, dry mouth etc.. I'm a college student, used it on spring break on my visit the Caribbean. Big mistake, my lips are suffering, at first I thought it was the salt water.. but after getting back I realized it kept happening and getting worse. I stopped and a day later chapped lips are healing, swelling is going down and my moth isn't as dry. Thanks Arm and Hammer, for making me realize not all toothpaste is for me. In my opinion it's too harsh for a toothpaste.

• Ka
    kate54 Jul 20, 2017

I have been using this product for over a year but in the last month, I started to suffer the exact same symptoms as others have mentioned! I thought I was going nuts. Gum/lip irritation, tongue losing the ability to taste as well, chin numb, chapped lips, cracks in the edges... the works! No idea why it took a year to develop my issues, but I have gone back to Crest..very plain basic toothpaste for the last week and ALL of the issues are either on the mend or gone. ALL of them. Something is definitely not right with this toothpaste.

• Ki
    Kimlynn2019 Dec 09, 2019

@kate54 I have the same story. I have been using this for about a year as well with no issues. Just within the last month all the same symptoms have started with me. The cracks / burns on sides my lips are the worst. I honestly LOVED this toothpaste. I didn't want to believe this was the cause.

• Ck
    CKathG Sep 19, 2017

I used A&H Sensitive Orajel Whitening twice, and it caused my tongue, inside of my mouth & lips to feel burned. My tongue & below my tongue were red & inflamed. Once I stopped using it, the symptoms disappeared, but it took a couple days. I trust A&H, but this one toothpaste did a number on me. It's now in the trash.

• Ka
    Kathryn Robertson Sep 19, 2017

UPDATE ON MY PREVIOUS COMMENT:
    I am still having after effects from the Peroxi-Care. Just went to the Dr yesterday due to the salivary gland remaining enlarged and irritated. Was given a steroid cream to use. Will have to see an ENT if not cleared up in 30 days. Seriously, this toothpaste was bad, bad news for me.

Josie Peña Lujan Sep 21, 2017

I have the same complaint after having several episodes of major lip swelling and after reading all these complaints it's the A&H Peroxi-Care toothpaste! I couldn't figure out what was causing the swelling but I used the Peroxi-Care last night and woke up in the middle of the night with major swelling. My tongue is also swollen and like others that have complained I can't believe there're still selling this stuff! I have taken pictures of the last major swelling and showed friends and their reaction was "looks like you had botox done". Yes, that bad! If there's a pending or current lawsuit count me in. I have had to stay home from work several days because of the swelling and pain this is causing not to mention the after affect of major chapped lips after swelling goes down, not fun at all! This toothpaste should be banned!

Comments

• Je
    Jen Oct 28, 2017

Arm and Hammer screwed up when they discontinued Mentadent toothpaste! I called the company to complain and they said it was a marketing decision. My response was that it was the worst marketing decision they could have ever made! I had used Mentadent since it came out because other toothpastes would leave a slimy film on my lips. Long story short, the company sent me a coupon to try Peroxicare toothpaste or another toothpaste with whitening properties. I’ve tried all A&H toothpastes and I HATE THEM!!! Each one has burned and irritated my mouth, tongue, gums and lips. I’ve also tried other brands with peroxide and baking soda...same effects!! PLEASE BRING MENTADENT BACK, ARM & HAMMER!!!

• Fl
    Flor11111 Nov 02, 2017

Same here. I used it from Friday evening to this morning, Thurs 11/2. I thought I had some sort of illness where my lips became dry and chapped and red on the inside. Also, I noticed that my gums got irritated, my throat dry and a smooth feeling on the roof of my mouth. Also, I felt my teeth tingling. Oh my goodness, I started to get depressed because I thought something is wrong with me. My husband and I decided that I should stop the toothpaste to see. Lo and behold I got itchy later on today and verified this mess on google. I will not touch this toothpaste again. This is shameful!

• To
    Tonya Alexander Nov 08, 2017

Oh my gosh I thought it was just me. I started getting sores in the cracks of my lips. My mouth always feels dry toward the front of it. My lips as so numb that I'm unable to pucker and blow a kiss.

What should I do? I tried the peroxide version and the plain version and exact same results!

• Ia
    iamtlc4u Feb 10, 2018

I had problems with the peroxicare toothpaste too. My lips were so dry and chapped and cracked in the corners and it also caused discoloration. No matter how many times I moisturized them, they still remained chapped. I didn't discover it until after a month that it was the toothpaste. I realized that it's the peroxide in the toothpaste because it is a powerful ingredient. As soon as I stopped using it, my lips started healing and weren't chapped anymore.

• Fo
    forza13 Mar 26, 2018

I used A&H AdvanceWhite for years and years. In November I started to have chapped lips, cracking in the corners, peeling of skin inside my mouth, dry mouth, etc. After eliminating a lot of things, thinking it might possibly be from chlorine in the pool I was swimming in, excess vaping, etc., I decided to try a different toothpaste. Everything cleared up within a couple of weeks, but since I had eliminated a lot I wasn't sure what happened.

Fast forward to this weekend. I ran out of the toothpaste I was using and had the A&H in the drawer. I used it 2 or 3 times, before I noticed the return of many of the symptoms including the extremely chapped/swollen lips and this time sores under my tongue. I was a little freaked out I might have picked up an STD or something, but seems the toothpaste is the most likely culprit. Thanks everyone for sharing! They need to pull this product.

• Je
    JeanK Jun 14, 2018

Oh my!! Wish I had looked this up a lot sooner but never thought my issues were from the toothpaste.
    I actually had a skin doctor thinking I had skin cancer on my lips. I was very uncomfortable with his diagnosis and decided to get a second opinion. He had given me a prescription for chemothreapy cream. Between the first doctor and the second opinion, I realized my toothpaste had the peroxide with the whitening and it put up a red flag. I told the second doctor about my discovery and he agreed. The first doctor jumped to the conclusion and wanted me to use the cream before taking a biopsy on lips. I guess he was that sure it was skin cancer on my lips. I had a gut feeling not to go through with it. Found out today I do NOT have skin cancer. The burning, sore, dry lips are from the toothpaste.

• Li
    lizm2711 Oct 17, 2018

@JeanK That is awful. I almost thought I had some kind of oral cancer because of the pain and blistering. Who knew a toothpaste could do so much damage. My mouth has gotten better but my lips still feel like they are on fire.

• Md
    Mdub2 Jul 19, 2018

Add me to the list. I used arm and hammer toothpaste, began brushing my teeth and had a horrible burning sensation in my mouth. Felt like acid was poured on my tongue and lips...the next day I am having numbness, swelling and have what looks to be chemical burns on the inside of my lip...i will never use this again...

• Ro
    Ro--- Sep 02, 2018

I had the same problem using Arm and Hammer Peroxi-care toothpaste. I had blisters and burning inside my mouth and tongue and could eat only soft foods like applesauce. Finally I went to my dentist who prescribed medicated lozenges to clear it up. Why doesn't the FDA take this stuff off the market? I will never buy anything by Arm and Hammer ever again.

ChipQ Oct 16, 2018

I just bought (October 2018) a tube of Arm & Hammer toothpaste and it used if for about a week. My tongue feels like I burned it, as if I ate hot soup. I also developed a crack on the side of my mouth that has been painful (similar to a paper cut), and a distinct rash just below the lip. I think I am allergic to it. Yesterday after brushing my teeth, I used mouthwash and it felt like my mouth was on fire. I had to spit it out. At first, I couldn't figure out what was happening, but then realized that it was likely the introduction of a new toothpaste I've never used before. Horrible stuff.

• Bl
    blujean Nov 01, 2018

Also used Arm & Hammer with peroxide, after a couple days, my mouth was burning and had small sores in my mouth. Horrible stuff!

Sarah Walter Nov 27, 2018

Bingo! I had a problem with cracks and itchy dry patches on both sides of my mouth 3 months ago. At the time I was using arm and hammer baking soda/peroxide toothpaste and a new facial scrub.. stopped both products..took a while to heal. Now started same toothpaste and 2 days later skin around mouth is itchy cracked and dry.. why is this toothpaste still around??

• De
    Deborah W Jan 25, 2019

I used 2 tubes of this before I realized it was probably the reason for my sore stinging tongue, swelling under the tongue with small blisters, white patches on the inside of my lips and cheeks, and painful cracks at the corners of my lips. It got to where I couldn't even brush my teeth because it made my tongue burn so bad. It got so bad I went to the doctor today to seek some relief. I had already searched all my medications to see if one of them could be the culprit but none had that side effect. Then I found this, and many other pages, about people with the same exact symptoms I am having from this toothpaste. I had just opened a third tube but that is now in the trash. I bought a natural toothpaste and mouthwash and it didn't hurt at all to use. I just hope this heals up soon, because it is very uncomfortable.