Argosy University Logo

Argosy University

Having problems with Argosy University?

+1 800 377 0617 (Administrative Office)
+1 866 427 4679 (Argosy University, Online Programs)
+1 602 216 2600 (Argosy University, Phoenix)
+1 909 472 0800 (Argosy University, Inland Empire)
+1 909 915 2100 (The Art Institute of California, Inland Empire)
+1 714 738 1000 (Western State College of Law, Irvine)
+1 310 531 9700 (Argosy University, Los Angeles)
+1 818 299 5100 (The Art Institute of California, Hollywood)
+1 714 620 3700 (Argosy University, Orange County)
+1 714 830 0200 (The Art Institute of California, Orange County)
+1 916 830 6320 (The Art Institute of California, Sacramento)
+1 619 321 3000 (Argosy University, San Diego)
+1 858 598 1200 (The Art Institute of California, San Diego)
+1 510 217 4700 (Argosy University, San Francisco Bay Area)
+1 415 865 0198 (The Art Institute of California, San Francisco)
+1 303 923 4110 (Argosy University, Denver)
+1 941 379 0404 (Argosy University, Sarasota)
+1 813 393 5290 (Argosy University, Tampa)
+1 770 671 1200 (Argosy University, Atlanta)
+1 808 536 5555 (Argosy University, Hawaii)
+1 312 777 7600 (Argosy University, Chicago)
+1 847 969 4900 (Argosy University, Schaumburg)
+1 651 846 2882 (Argosy University, Twin Cities)
+1 615 525 2800 (Argosy University, Nashville)
+1 214 890 9900 (Argosy University, Dallas)
+1 801 601 5000 (Argosy University, Salt Lake City)
+1 703 526 5800 (Argosy University, Northern Virginia)
+1 206 283 4500 (Argosy University, Seattle)
2233 West Dunlap Avenue

Argosy University, Seattle
2601-A Elliott Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121

Complaints & Reviews

us department of justice

Now is the time for those people who have had major, or minor, issues with Argosy University. Please contact your State Attorney General's Office to fill out the paperwork necessary for complaints! The United States Justice Department will re-coup all the money in Student Loans paid throughout 2003 to 2011 (or a majority of it). If you have massive student loan debt due to attending one of Argosy "University's" schools, and you were lied to (by department heads; recruiters; or employees of Argosy), PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND LODGE A COMPLAINT!

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEMonday, August 8, 2011
U.S. Files Complaint Against Education Management Corp. Alleging False Claims Act Violations

WASHINGTON – The United States has intervened and filed a complaint in a whistleblower suit pending under the False Claims Act against Education Management Corp. (EDMC) and several affiliated entities, the Justice Department announced today. In its complaint, the government alleges that EDMC falsely certified compliance with provisions of federal law that prohibit a university from paying incentive-based compensation to its admissions recruiters that is tied to the number of students they recruit. Congress enacted the incentive compensation prohibition to curtail the practice of paying bonuses and commissions to recruiters, which resulted in the enrollment of unqualified students, high student loan default rates and the waste of program funds.

“Colleges should not misuse federal education funds by paying improper incentives to admissions recruiters, ” said Tony West, Assistant Attorney General for the Civil Division of the Department of Justice. “Working with the Department of Education, we will protect both students and taxpayers from arrangements that emphasize profits over education.”

“Federal tax dollars must be protected from abuse, ” said David J. Hickton, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Pennsylvania. “This action against EDMC seeks to recover a portion of the $11 billion in federal student aid which EDMC allegedly obtained through false statements and which enriched the company, its shareholders and executives at the expense of innocent individuals seeking a quality education.”

The False Claims Act allows for private citizens to file whistleblower suits to provide the government information about wrongdoing. The government then has a period of time to investigate and decide whether to take over the prosecution of the allegations or decline to pursue them and allow the whistleblower to proceed. If the United States proves that a defendant has knowingly submitted false claims, it is entitled to recover three times the damage that resulted and a penalty of $5, 500 to $11, 000 per claim. When the government intervenes, the whistleblower can collect a share of 15 to 25 percent of the United States’ recovery.

The suit was originally filed by Lynntoya Washington, a former EDMC admissions recruiter, who later filed an amended complaint, jointly with Michael T. Mahoney, a former director of training for EDMC’s Online Higher Education Division. The states of California, Florida, Illinois and Indiana have also intervened as plaintiffs.

The suit is United States ex rel. Washington et al. v. Education Management Corp. et al., Civil No. 07-461 (W.D. Pa.).

This matter was investigated by the Commercial Litigation Branch of the Justice Department’s Civil Division; the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Pennsylvania; and the Department of Education, Office of Inspector General.

Angies3grown Nov 30, 2011

Thank you, mimi2007 I totally agree with your statement-"Colleges should not misuse federal funds meant for the student's education." I was informed to telephone the department of education concerning my complaint and they may pull all federal funding for the future which would lead to their not getting as many students to enroll. I am definitely going to check out the other directions you discussed, again thank you for your assistance to all who have a grievance.

• Er
    Erin Rachel Young Apr 26, 2012

I contacted the Dept of Education after being charged for a second semester I never attended.They didnt care. Argosy told me the $6, 000 fin aid I received was not enough and I owed more.Argosy should be shut down.They refused to refund or remove the charges.

financial aid

Stay away from this university. It is true.Once you become a senior, classes will be impossible to pass. They use two softwares to make sure you fail class. Financial aid will steal your money and will lie to you.I had a 93 average in a clas and failed. I complained..was told there was nothing I can do about it. Financial aid double bills you and ads bogus charges.You can not believe anything they tell you. I will be joining the class action suit. If you have been wronged join the class action suit..
They are real nice untll they have all your financial aid money. Why does the government allow this school to steal student's money? I am going to get back every dime that was spent at Argosy. Take this warning serious..Do not go to this school. I am going on facebook and Twitter to warn others about this school..

• Mo
    moneygrowsontrees? Nov 29, 2011

I am a little scared now because something strange just happened. I took one semester of classes at AUO in March, receives full federal aid, and received a stipend. Then, last week I received a bill in the mail asking for "cash payment" due from February? First of all I did not attend in February? Second of all if all fees were not paid then why did I receive a stipend? Lastly, Federal Aid over rewards do not have to be paid back-you have the option but by law you do not have to pay them back unless the over reward was a result of misinformation on your part. So, being aware of my rights I ignored the bill. The following week I received a letter stating that because it is the holiday season, I can pay back 50% of my bill and the rest will be forgiven; or, my bill will be sent to collections. I smell ###. Thanks!

inaccuarate information

I started Argosy University's on-line graduate school program. For 3 terms I was told 2 classes was "Full-Time". I kept calling and complaining about the amount of work required and I was told it was me. Then I find out that 1 class at the graduate level is considered full-time. I was unable to pass my classes and just kept trying as their employee's, (advisors), told me to.
They had me trying to do DOUBLE the amount of work I was SUPPOSED to be doing and when I questioned it, I was told It was correct. Over and over again, they said the same thing, it's you-not us.That was not correct. I paid tuition for 3 full terms, 2 graduate classes per term. They misrepresented the truth and now I've paid them thousands of dollars intuition which they say is not their fault. Per their policy, they did nothing wrong. They just took my money under false pretences and refuse to address the issue. This constitutes a form of fraud, doesn't it? I certainly feel conned, and I'm out $20, 000.
I'd like my money returned since I borrowed it in the form of a student loan and the lender deserves the money back and I deserve to have the debt removed. It was Argosy's misinformation that caused this situation, they should take responsibility. I'm sure they can afford to pay the 20K much more easily than I can. Oh, I forgot, it's the institutions in this country that make the rules because it certainly isn't the public. Nor is it in the public's best intrest for these types of unethical practices to occur.

total ripoff!

Argosy university is a ripoff. Do not attend this university online. They do not tell you the truth about financial aid. they do not have written withdrawal policy on withdrawal from classes or school. Therefore they can charge you what ever they want and you are left with a huge balance to pay back. If anyone know the withdrawal policy please post it online. This university will take your financial aid money. You will be stuck with our an quality education. If anyone is interested in a class action lawsuit it time to stand up and take action let go.

• La
    ladybug98_2002 Jun 15, 2011

Although I do have issues with Argosy, I can tell you that they do have a written withdrawal policy. I believe it would be found in the student handbook. The policy is less clear when it comes to their online program and other classes that are about 7 weeks long but the policy regarding the online program does exist.

• Li
    lisalove Jun 17, 2011

Withdrawal Policy
    Argosy University considers a student as withdrawn when he or she fails to register for the current semester. A student wishing to withdraw from Argosy University should submit a letter to the Student Services Department requesting withdrawal. Any student in good standing who wishes to discontinue study will be withdrawn. The student must resolve any financial obligations to Argosy University before receiving an official transcript from the Student Services Department.

Withdrawal Date
    A student’s withdrawal date is:

The date the student began the withdrawal process, or
    The date the student officially notified the institution, in writing or orally, of his or her intent to withdraw.
    Any earlier or later date which the institution documents as the last date of academically related activity by the student. For unofficial withdrawals, a student’s withdrawal date is:
    The midpoint of the payment period or period of enrollment or
    If a student begins the withdrawal process and otherwise officially notifies the institution of his or her intent to withdraw, the withdrawal date is the earlier of the two unless the institution documents a later last date of attendance. An academically-related activity includes, but is not limited to, an exam, a tutorial, online course activity, academic counseling, academic advisement, turning in a class assignment, or attending a study group that is assigned by the institution.

• Bi
    Bigdaddy40 Aug 03, 2011

I agree that Argosy University is a ripoff, and will do whatever it takes to keep your financial aid. I was informed today by the director of financial aid that my academic advisor tricked me into staying at Argosy past the date in order for the classes to start, so that they could get 50% of the financial, wheras I didn't attend any of the classes which started 5/9/2011. Now they have kept all the funds from my financial aid, which prevents me from getting funds applied at my new online school. This is ###, they are not entitled to any of the funds for the second half of the semester. They even went as far to give me WF for those two classes and I was withdrawn before the 9th of May 2011. The academic advisor postponed putting through my withdrawal until the 12th of May 2011, which was three days into classes, so that they would be entitled to the 50% of the financial aid money. Which they are still not entitled too. Now they are constantly sending me e-mails and having different people call, in order to get me back into their school. Which I will never do. Yes I do, feel that a class action lawsuit is in the makings.

Stacie1019 Aug 25, 2011

They are a complete rip-off and will do anything to get your money. They are hunting me down for $2, 000 months after I withdrew from the University!

unethical and ruthless

Argosy University dismisses people after one month after collecting payment for the whole semester. Their policies state that they don't have to return any money after 30 days so they let you register for classes, pay for them hen kick you out without prior notice. They don't tell/ warn you about your status because they are interested in getting the money at all cost. If they put you on notice, you would not register for the class and waste your money because you will not get to finish. It is unconscionable and unethical because you pay for the whole class, not half. The advisers are clueless and untrained about the school's policy. Their compensation must include funding from the students that they register or they would not be complicit in the scam. Whatever the reasons, everyone should avoid this school as they are only in it to place you in debt and provide very little in terms of education.

Stacie1019 Aug 25, 2011

I am in debt from them and have not gotten anything from them. During the semesters, I would get random emails and phone calls stating that I owed them for something or another. If I had any money, I would find a lawyer to help me get them off my back, because months after I withdrew from the University, they're still trying to hunt me down for more money!

• Au
    AUstudentBAP Feb 23, 2012

Unfortunately If you had really been attending Argosy University, then this would not have happened because unless you do not do your work, they do not remove you from class as long as you paid your tuition. I personally have earned over 100 credit hours with Argosy, and I have been a student since 2008. I can say that I haven't had the best experience with my financial aid but as long as I communicate with them, I stay in my classes.

• Tr
    tristameyer Oct 18, 2012

HELP im in the process of being excepted into this school and one person says one thing andthe next another HELP

fraud

I was an argosy tampa student in the masters mental health counseling program. I had a gpa of 3.85 and was within one semester of graduation. I was removed from the program and my appeals were denied. My sue process rights were violated and I was unfairly treated by the program chair. The Dean and president reported they "wanted to help" but in the end "were unable to assist me." I have $100, 000 in student loans, all of my coursework completed and no degree. I am interested in a filing a lawsuit and am seeking an experienced attorney for help. If you have any suggestions for an attorney or want to join me in the fight against Argosy please contact me at [protected]@juno.com

misleading apa information and sallie mae private loans

I am looking for students that attended Argosy University Psy D program (Doctorate of Psychology in Clinical Psychology) who would be interested in joining a class action lawsuit against Argosy University in Dallas and Sallie Mae. I was a student at this school who was told by the recruiters that they were going to be reviewed for an APA accreditation. I dropped my classes after learning that APA was not scheduled to review the school for accreditation in 2006. Unfortunately, they continued to promote the school using the same speech through 2009. The school took out over $30, 000.00 in Private student loans in which a part of the loans were taken out after I informed the school that I would not attend their school due to lack of APA accreditation.

Argosy University has also been said to be associated with Sallie Mae Private lending, the school promotes loans from the Private sector even when you qualify for grants. Sallie Mae (Private) has been known to harass their customers with multiple phone calls, provide false information on credit reports (moving accounts back to show that the client is late in payments then requesting an exaggerated amount to bring account into good order status), take away forbearance time that was paid for, charge really high interest rates and use threatening promises to their clients.

If either of your problems sounds similar then please email ([protected]@jameshoyer.com) and let her know what happened to you. I know that there are many more students who are in the same boat. Also, don’t forget to write your Attorney General, State and Government representative. Before Congressmen Kennedy passed away, he was well aware of the problems and advocated against such practices. Let our voices be heard across America.

Documents that you will need
1. Any documents relating to the promise that Argosy University (Dallas) was going to be accredited by APA
2. Any documents relating to loans taken out by Argosy University
3. Any documentation regarding how the student loans were applied to your account
4. Any documents regarding Salle Mae Private Loans
5. Any information regarding Salle Mae Private practices

(I am a previous student looking for other previous or current students that have been promised the APA accrediation or students that have had similar exspierences with Salle Mae Private)

incompetent administration

This is but the first in a series of absurdities. I had sent a single email asking whether I might replace ethics with another class, as I preferred to take ethics in a less "compressed" time period. I was informed the other class was not available. That was the end of the matter. I had never sent a request to the drop/add email address, nor did I send any request of any kind requesting that I be dropped from the class.

Yesterday, however, I went online and discovered ethics was no longer listed as one of my classes. After sending the always-requisite dozen messages, I finally received the unacceptable reply that I had supposedly dropped the class and that nothing could be done about it, end of story.

Obviously, if I had in any way requested that I be dropped from the class, I would not have performed the significant amount of work in completing assignments that I already have. I also would not have taken less than a "full load" of classes since I'm 46 and trying to accelerate the process, though not to the point of risking my ability to absorb what I learn.

The abject refusal of the administration to consider this their mistake and to rectify it has led to my filing a complaint with the accreditation agency. I am so incensed that I'm considering changing to a program at a different university. I've experienced this incompetence from registration to financial aid.

While the Argosy faculty has been excellent, the administration makes Kafka look well-adjusted. I would think twice before attending this university solely because it's administration is incompetent or worse.

• Am
    Amy79 Jul 07, 2010

I have just enrolled at Argosy (Sarasota) . What a wonderful experience it has been for me. The administration has been very great in working with. No problems here and I highly recommend the Sarasota campus!

unscrupulous practices

I was a Masters Level student at Argosy University for three years. I was three classes away from graduating. I was in my internship program so very close to October graduation. I was placed at a site that was extremely unethical and unprofessional. I was placed at a site that I received maltreatment, slander, harrassment and hostility in the work environment by the owner of the site. I was challenge by the owner of the site about my religious beliefs and constantly harrassed. I was cursed at and constantly slandered by the owner of the site. I went to Argosy two weeks after being placed at the site and requested to be moved. Argosy refused to move me and stated that I needed to work in that environment because it will help me in the long run. I constantly endured maltreatment for 5 months and continue to report to Argosy. I received no help with moving me to another practicum site. I was then placed on remediation by Argosy. After, I disagreed with the remediation plan then I was dismissed from the program. I have over $60, 000 of debt to financial aide, I gave up my full time job, lost my house and closed my business just to finish my education at Argosy and my practicum. I do not have my degree and I have a huge loan that I have to pay back. I am now trying to receive some legal assistant to help me with this situation. Argosy is a scam Uniersity and should not be accredited or allowed to continue to operate. Students that have endured this kind of treatment should received every penny spent to attempt to get an education from Argosy University.

• Ar
    Argosy Grad Student Apr 22, 2010

I'm currently a master's student at Argosy, and have found it a tremendous experience. The classes are challenging and I've been pleased with the high performance standard required by each professor I've been fortunate to study under. I'll be receiving this degree in December but am considering continuing toward a PhD at their APA-approved Orange County campus. I have never seen Argosy make any promises to provide students with internships, so--while I'm pleased to hear that they apparently did provide this student with a lead, I can't help but wonder why this complainant did not find another internship on his or her own when the offered situation was found to be unsatisfactory?

Also, considering the spelling in the complaint, I can't help but wonder whether there might have been other reasons the complainant did not receive the degree.

• My
    Myra Lee Sep 12, 2010

I share the same experienced with you regarding the maltreatment both at the practicum site and the school. I was given a practicum site that was not on my list and I was told that if I didn't go to the site it would be bad for me. I expressed my concern about going to the site and my concern that I was being told to go to a practicum that I did not put on my list. I went through the same process and was dismissed. At my practicum site I was being supervised by a postdoc from Argosy who intimidated me and verbally abused me then lied about what was really going on. Afterwards the director without hearing me out listened to the postdoc and stated that there is something wrong with my head. I have no clue what the postdoc had said and I was not given an explanation of what was going on even when I asked to be filled in. All I could do was be in shocked and cried to my disbelief that this was happening. I felt defenseless. I reported this to the practicum director, practicum seminal leader and my advisor. My practicum seminar leader supported me and was aware that I was not being treated appropriately, but she was only an adjunct with no voice. There were no response after I reported the incidence other than go through the spdc process. It became difficult for me from then on. I became depressed that I didn't get any support from the school. I was afraid to go to the site and I became very anxious until I was dismissed.

I just found out that the postdoc that supervised me was just hired to teach at the school. Her bad behavior is rewarded and with her abusive behavior now she gains more power and control; this seem to be a theme of how the school conducts its business. The professors play with your mind if they don't like you and make it seem like the students have the problem if you didn't play their game and stroke their ego. In this same situation, I also requested to be moved and received the same answer you did. The difference is that I have found other sites that I can do my practicum in that I know I can be successful at and I was denied. In the end, it became detrimental for me and a hardship on me and my family as I ended up with a big bill. If you showed any type of voice in the program the consequences are that your oppressed by the professors. BTW, the voice I mentioned is basically informing my advisor, seminal leader and practicum director of the situation. Apparently, this is not allowed otherwise it results in being dismissed. I have students in my cohort who at the same practicum site experienced the same thing and witnessed the abuse I received, but they were to afraid to say anything, they remained quiet because they are intimidated and afraid to speak up because they don't want to end up being dismissed like myself. Other students have also discussed during our seminar classes that there supervisors were sexually harassing them, etc. Nothing is done except the student was told that in order for her to be a good therapist, she needs to be able to suck it up and tolerate it. This student was miserable the whole time and cried often, but at least she didn't get dismissed. Twp other student from same site were made to feel like idiots and were threatened and cursed at their prac site and was afraid to go to the site. The advisors and prac director were informed and nothing was done about it. All these incidences and issues were all happening and nothing was done about it. The school is so afraid to loose training sites that they are telling their students that its not a big deal and to suck it up. Unfortunately, some students ends up getting hurt in the process, but then who really cares, right?

Don't be so quick to judge to think that there is another reason why a student is dismissed other than what really is happening. Sometimes there doesn't have to be a hidden reason why a student is dismissed or that the students are to blame or screwed up somehow other than a professor or the school showing that they can do that and can have the power to screw someone over if they want to-it can be as simply as that. Some get lucky and know how to suck up and others are not able to or willing to go that route to pass a class or get through a practicum. When a student is paying that much money, the school should provide the needed education paid for and not pay for the bureaucracy, To go that far into the program, are you saying that the student purposely did that?

• Vl
    VLR Nov 09, 2010

OMG this same thing happened to me at Argosy Tampa. I have $100, 000 in student loans and no degree because I was removed from Argosy within a semester from graduation. If you find a lawyer to assist you in a lawsuit, please let me know. [email protected]

• Mn
    MNJimmy Jan 03, 2011

I would be interested in knowing which AU's the students are talking about. Thank you.

• Mn
    MNJimmy Jan 03, 2011

Hello,

I would like the students to identify which AU's are the ones that they had problems with and which programs were the ones that seemed to be the problem ones, please.

Sad Sally Apr 05, 2011

Argosy University Online is no good. Education what education? This school is riping me off, and I am not learning anything. I made a mistake addmitted it, and the instructor lied about me. He even told me not to contact my acidemic counsler. I am looking for another school. I hate the class, and mention it in the student lounge and the teacher emailed me and said I said it in the post questions to the professor, what a liar. Oh well I want to go to another school and a cheaper one.

• Jj
    JJ Speck Apr 22, 2011

This is very interesting. I am currently 3 classes away from a Master's in Forensic Psychology with Argosy Online. I get notified my student loans are at their maximum, so instead of giving me suggestions they tell me to start paying them for a 12/2010 class. I had been told that this class had been paid for. Not only that, but I can't get anyone at Argosy to tell me exactly how much I have spent so far, except that I now need $2050 to pay off the Dec 2010 class just to get back in. Everything was riding on this degree. I also lost my car and phone and have a daughter. They are not understanding that we do not all have a family unit that can help us financially. Also, they do not offer grants or scholarships. Now I can't get the degree and I now owe for a program that I can't finish. I have a Master's in Business but all of the resume's that I have sent out tell me that I have too much education and not enough experience. I worked and sacrificed so much so that I could try and make a better life for me and my daughter. I kept my GPA at a 3.78. Please let me know if anyone speaks to a lawyer and can give me some advice. I have never defaulted on my loans and I feel so lost. If anyone would like to discuss what has happened for obviously I am not the only one Argosy is treating badly please feel free to email: [email protected] Argosy online I had no problem until my loans ran out. Then-it is just money to them.

poor education/ training in dental hygiene program

I graduated from Argosy University- Twin Cities' Dental Hygiene program in 2006 and I still feel compelled to warn potential applicants about how poorly run the program is. I am seeing many other complaints that Argosy University is nothing more than a "for-profit" diploma mill, and I'm afraid I have to agree with that. My program cost right around $60, 000 for 5 semesters of subpar education. I also have a bachelor's degree from a traditional 4 year university and I was shocked by the difference in the quality of education I received at Argosy vs. the 4 year university. My classmates and I felt that the instructors at the school did not care about us as individuals nor did they care about our unique learning needs. But perhaps most concerning of all was the very low rate of success in passing our board exams after the Argosy eduction. More than 1/3 of my class was not able to pass the $1000.00 clinical board exam on the first try (100% of the students from the University of MN's RDH program passed the first time). Had our education been adequate, there shouldn't have been any reason for students to not pass this exam. Upon hearing this news, the Argosy instructors were far from compassionate and only offered to help students improve their skills for a hefty fee of $1300.00. The students elected to avoid any further contact with Argosy and actually sought out remedial help from an entirely different dental hygiene program who was more than happy to help them for a much smaller fee. Now that I am an employed RDH, I do see that Argosy has a poor reputation in the community. Additionally, I don't feel I was adequately prepared for my job and had to do a lot "on the spot" learning once I started my work. To this day, I don't feel my skills are as sharp as my colleagues who had training elsewhere. I tend to be a "glass half full" individual, but feel the need to help others in this case. I do not recommend Argosy University to anyone. STUDENT/BUYER BEWARE!!

john2345 Mar 23, 2010

What was you under graduated major? Was it science related? Did you find the classes difficult or simply lacking in material?

• Ba
    barb1226 Sep 17, 2010

Thank you for posting your comments about Argosy. I am now looking at the Hygiene program offered at Argosy and had thoughts about it being a bit sketchy and not structured. One thing is true... it is very expensive! I have heard that students from Argosy and Herzing are not prepared for hygiene after attending these schools in comparison with other schools.

• Sm
    smileygirl Dec 22, 2011

I was "accepted" into their Hygiene program this fall. I uprooted my children and sold pretty much everything we owned to come up here to do this deal- moved from AR. Upon arrival, I learned that the program was actually an entire year longer than I was told while applying. I have been questioning whether or not to drop my upcoming semester courses due to the financial burden. After reading this post, I am pulling the pin. Thanks for the confirmation.

bad education

The Argosy University title of "higher education" is perhaps the biggest oxymoron of all! This crap school i...

argosy = money pyramid scheme

Here's yet another Argosy University lawsuit dated April 30, 2009. Go to this link and view the CASEY...

argosy's lower education

Texas college sued by students for misrepresenting that it would become accredited For immediate release...

fraud: apa accreditation

diploma mill

Argosy University is nothing more than a hard sell diploma mill designed to milk people of their money in...

professors

Argosy University is a for profit university that pretends to care about the students. The school is driven by profits and does not care the needs of the studetns. The University hires part time professors that are not familiar with the University and do not know its rules and regulations.

Since I have been at Argosy, I have had four academic adviors (in 15 months) and each one could not meet my needs or expectations. They have set up a system with only consequences for the students and none for the professors. Here is my example, Argosy had a technical problem on 05/11/2009 that shut down their system for two days. I was unable to log into my class and do any of my work. The University acknowledged their mistake and sent an e-mail to all students and staff that all deadlines were extended and no late penalities would in place.

This seemed like a very fair solution and one I could work with. The problem was tha the Professor did decided not to adhere to this policy and reduced my grade by 15%. This mistake hurt my grade and could have impacted my future admission to graduate school. I had to drop out of school with a financial penalty. When I mentioned to my academic advisor the reason I was dropping out she said "that is your problem (about the penalty) and you will have to take it up with financial aid. When I spoke with financial aid they told me it was not thier responsibility ( appeal the drop policy), it was the responisbility of the academic advisor.

The situation was never resolved and I am probably going to need to pay the pentaly and transfer to another University.

DJK

• Here are the biggest and most highly publicized lawsuits against Argosy University:
    Click on the links to view these cases:

and

TEXAS COLLEGE SUED BY STUDENTS FOR MISREPRESENTING THAT IT WOULD BECOME ACCREDITED
    Texas College Sued by Students for Misrepresenting that it would become Accredited
    Dallas, TX - August 7, 2009 - Several students have sued Argosy University, which is an education system of Education Management Corporation (Nasdaq: EDMC) in Dallas County District Court, alleging that the college lied to them in order to get them to enroll in the college. Argosy University is a for-profit college. Plaintiffs were students enrolled in the school's psychology doctoral program at Argosy's Dallas campus. At the time Plaintiffs were considering enrolling in the program, school officials told them that the program was in the process of obtaining crucial accreditation by the American Psychological Association and that the program would become accredited before the students graduated. As a result of these reassurances plaintiffs enrolled in the program at significant personal expense.

The lawsuit alleges that during the students' enrollment in the program the school indicated on numerous occasions that the school was actively pursuing APA accreditation. In reality, the school had not begun to secure accreditation, and the students ultimately graduated from the program without the program ever obtaining APA accreditation. Julie Johnson, plaintiffs' attorney, explains, what sets this case apart are the blatant and repeated lies told by school officials: "When students expressed skepticism about the school's progress toward APA accreditation, the school dismissed these concerns as baseless 'rumors' and perpetuated the sham that it was in the process of pursuing APA accreditation."

The school's repeated lies, claim the plaintiffs, have significantly hindered their ability to repay the exorbitant student loan debt they assumed in order to attend the college. Johnson explains, "even though the state of Texas does not require a degree from an APA-accredited college for individuals to practice as clinical psychologists, the reality is that in this competitive job market, most employers require APA accreditation. Those that are willing to employ clinical psychologists that have graduated from non-APA accredited institutions pay them significantly less than they would pay a clinical psychologist that did graduate from an APA-accredited institution." This, plaintiffs claim, has left them saddled with unserviceable student loan debt and dashed dreams.

Attorney Julie Johnson often represents students in Texas Deceptive Trade Practices and Consumer Protection Act, fraud, and breach of contract cases against proprietary colleges such as Argosy University. To contact Julie Johnson, please call 1-888-416-9572, or send her an email at [email protected] For additional information about Julie Johnson and her other areas of practice, go to http://www.vanweyjohnson.com/.

• Pr
    previously a student Feb 24, 2010

I agree Argosy University scams students. I have a learning disability and I requested assistance one time since I started a Master's programs in forensic psychology and they refused to assist me. My advisor informed me in my last semester of the program I have an option to take a comprehensive final exam or do an internship and when I started my last semester my advisor told me I cannot do an internship and I have to do a comprehensive exam. The comprehensive exam was confusing because they do not give you accurate information so you do not know what to expect. I ended up transferring to another program due to the lack of support from Argosy University. I also recieved an award letter from Argosy stating how much student loan money will be deposited into my school account but the most interesting thing is I did not apply for another student loan because I did not need one. Argosy is a scam.

• Pr
    previously a student Feb 24, 2010

I agree Argosy University is a scam!

improper proceedings

For all I know, this could be an accredited college... but the fact that they lied to me about the need to sign a promissory note for them to give me information about my loan, as told to me by SallyMae, was just uncalled for. Also, it turned out I was due a letter explaining my loan in details before needing to sign the note.
Guys, don't let private schools manipulate you! A promissory loan with Stafford is the LAST step in enrollment. When you do it - make sure you know your college's withdrawal procedure, 'cause if you don't, they might refuse to cancel your loan 'just like that, ' at least - the part of it that was for the classes you were enrolled to take.

lied about program financing

I responded to a SPAM email advertisment regarding Argosy University and within 2 minutes I reciecd a phone...

phone calls

An on-line inquiry was placed for program information for Argosy College, within minutes of transmitting the request a phone call was received from the University. Unable to pick up the call, 13 additional calls were logged as received from Argosy University during the day with the last call logged at 6:24pm. The following day, 2 more calls were logged from Argosy before 9:30 AM and an additional 2 calls were received even after it was requested to a so-called Supervisor that the calls stop.
I am not sure if the Sales Department is aware of caller ID, if I had been able to pick up one of the first 14 calls or if the sales person on the other end of the phone would have left a message regarding my online application I may have had some interest in the school but at this point, I am moving on to other options.

• I too requested information from Argosy online. Within 15 minutes my phone began to ring. I was home in bed recovering from the flu. After about the 9th call I answered and advised I did not feel like taking and I would be in touch if I wanted to proceed. I get a call the very next day from another person.

I am getting the feeling that this is a diploma mill. I was taken aback by these strong arm tactics.
    After reading some of the postings I am a bit skeptical.

Click on the links to view these cases:

and

Stacie1019 Aug 25, 2011

It's a business. Like many other schools, they don't really care about the student. They want their money and will do anything to get it. I've been harassed from them recently for $2, 000 that I shouldn't owe them and right now cannot afford.

James 208 Aug 07, 2013

Having previously heard nothing whatsoever about Argosy, somehow though, the name sounded suspicious, and somehow it comes as no surprise based upon all these complaints! Western State University is part of Argosy, and is equally reprehensible with its atrocious employment rates. Imagine how embarrassing it is to say that you went to Western State, and how much worse it is with the Argosy association. It appears to go without saying that no one should waste so much money on these garbage for profit schools but thankfully sites like this make the decision even easier not to attend.

• Mr
    Mr Mir a Ze Mar Apr 23, 2019

@James 208 Indeed - Western State is a scam, Argosy is a scam, the state bar of California is a scam!!!