American Freight / King Koil Mattresswill not honor warranty

We purchased a King Koil Mattress Feb. 17, 2009 from American Freight. At the time of purchase the salesman, Chris Botero assured us of a 20 yr warranty. That was 8 months ago. The mattress we purchased has collapsed on one side. When I reported it to them they informed me the warranty was void because we did not purchase the foundation with it. That was not mentioned when the purchase was being made. I read the warranty and it also said nothing about it being void, it recommended buying the foundation. The foundation our mattress is resting on is in perfect condition and is offered up for inspection.
I also called King Koil in Miami where the mattress was manufactured, they informed me that they do not warranty seconds. Of course we were unaware of the fact that we had purchased a defective mattress. Our receipt does not read "As Is" or any such warning. I
I feel the word should be known about Customer UNservice from American Freight.

Louise Vuturo
[protected]@hotmail.com

• Apologies to KIng Koil it was Park Place Corp. who manufactured the mattress. Also discovered it was not a second, just a bad mattress.

Chris Botero Jun 15, 2010

Louise,

After reading this complaint I reviewed the notes we have stored under your account...

On 10/05/2009 your husband called the store and talked to the manager about your mattress. As the manager was explaining the terms and conditions of the warranty your husband was being very rude and even threatened to come into the store to fight him. Little did your husband know, Daniel (the store manager) would have been more than happy to exchange the mattress although it was not covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Your husband did not give him a chance to talk and hung up on him before he could remedy the situation.

On 10/26/2009 (three weeks later) you called the store and immediately began to harass the manager. You didn't even give the manager a chance to look up your account before you started talking about a "SECOND HAND KING KOIL" mattress you had purchased from us. Obviously the manager was confused because we do not carry any second hand mattresses, nor do we carry and KING KOIL mattresses. He thought you had us mixed up with another store. You also hung up on him before he had a chance to address the problem.
    After a few minutes you called back and began talking about an attorney you hired to take the case to court and how you called KING KOIL (wrong company) about the mattress. It is a common practice for a manager of any company to not be allowed to talk to a customer once the situation escalates into a legal matter. However, despite all of the insults and ignorant remarks Daniel was still trying to help you. He told you to bring the mattress into the store so we could exchange it for another one. It is now eight months later and you still have not came in to exchange the mattress. Instead you decided to post a complaint about us on the internet.

Furthermore, in my defense, there is a big yellow sign above the mattress that says there is a 10 year full replacement warranty (not 20 years) on the mattress set. I did not realize that you were concerned about the manufacturer's warranty so I did not go into detail about the terms and conditions. That was my mistake and I sincerely apologize. American Freight stresses the importance of the customer on a day to day basis. They tell us to do whatever it takes to make sure the customer is satisfied. The company is comprised of a very hard working and honest staff that strives to protect the integrity behind our name. Please put yourself in our shoes and reconsider your remarks.

Sincerely,