American Family InsuranceTrying to avoid paying my claim

G

I wish to submit a complaint about American Family Insurance and will do so on other sites besides this one. I was involved in an accident last week where I was parked parallel besides the sidewalk (in a parking space). I looked before I opened my driver’s side door and did open it but not fully because I didn’t want to have someone hit my car.

I turned to get my purse and to tell my children to wait until I go around to the other side to open their doors when my driver’s side door was hit by a vehicle who was trying to park in a space in front of my car. The metal on my door on the bottom is peeled up now and jagged. We exchanged insurance information but did not call the police (something I now regret). My insurance company (Geico)took my statement, the other driver’s statement, took pictures of both cars and said I wasn’t liable and the other driver was.

American Family, whose claim adjuster I had difficulty reaching and would exchange phone messages and with whom I didn’t feel really showed much professionalism, left me a message yesterday that they found me liable and I would have to go through my own insurance to pay for it.

American Family Insurance never took any photos of my car I don’t feel conducted a thorough investigation. Geico did. Geico has told me that if I want them to take care of it I need to pay my $500 deductable (they have to replace the door which is over $1, 000) and then we can go to arbitration with American Family Insurance to recoup my $500 which I intend to do.

I did nothing wrong. My car was parked, I didn’t open my door on the other driver it was already adjar. I plan to file as many complaints as possible about American Family Insurance. I totally feel they were in the wrong and they are just trying to avoid paying my claim. I hope those that read this will seriously consider not choosing American Family for their insurance needs. They will not pay out.