Ambit EnergyAverage Billing Scam

L

I bought a home a year ago and signed up for Ambit Energy for my new home through a friend consultant. I got a rate of 10.94 cents/kWh which is a very good deal. However, just this month, I reached the 13 month after my 1 year contract and I received a bill over $620. My highest bill in the last 12 months was $164.79 and my average usage in the last 12 months was 890 kWh. So I called customer service and I found out that I was on the average billing plan. I pulled out my contract and saw that there was no mention in there that I had enrolled in such a plan. The representative said that the plan helps me during the summer months when electricity is expected to be high. But how does the plan help any consumer in their right mind if they have to pay for a bill that's over $450 more than their highest bill in the past 12 months at the end of the 12 month term. No one would have budgeted for it.

I think this plan is a scam to mislead people to initially believe that they're saving money, but in the end have to pay it all back. More upsetting is that they do not tell their customers they have signed up for this plan verbally or written.

Stay away from Ambit and save yourself trouble. You can go to powertochoose.org to see their complaint rating (I should have done that a long time ago).

• Xy
    xyx Aug 29, 2009

$307.00 on a bill and I had not even moved in yet!! Even the complex called Ambit. I still had to pay it and nothing was on nothing was even in the place!! I am so MAD!! I will never use Ambit again!!!

• Am
    AmbitMike Oct 11, 2009

Most retail electric providers will place you on their least desirable plan if your contract expires you do not renew or at least take a look at what variable plan you are on.

Ambit sends both an email notice and a hardcopy letter about 2 weeks before an agreement period ends to advise customers of their options, which is more than most of the other providers do. I have found numerous customers on other providers who did not know that they had been paying 17-18 center per hour because their agreement had expired 6 months ago and "no one told me."

You can also see when your plan expires on every bill and in your online customer inrerface. You can clearly see this by looking at my personal Abmit bill from October 2009 at

Renewing for another 1 year term a week before that one expired likely would have resulted in an even better rate for another 12 months, it does pay to pay attention.

Comments

• Wi
    Windy D. Feb 17, 2010

Mike,
    Your comment doesn't address the lady above who received a bill when she hadn't even moved into the apartment, yet. And what about Ambit's reputation on powertochoose.org. By the way, do you still feel the same now about Ambit?
    Windy