ADT Security Services Logo

ADT Security Services

Having problems with ADT Security Services?

+1 800 884 4226 (Residential, Sales)
+1 800 521 1734 (Residential, Customer Service)
+1 888 244 4505 (Business, Sales)
+1 800 515 2216 (Business, Customer Service)
+1 877 801 7387 (Health & Senior Safety, Sales)
+1 800 658 7134 (Health & Senior Safety, Customer Service)
1501 Yamato Road
Boca Raton, Florida
United States - 33431-4438

Complaints & Reviews

scam cancellation fees

I was with ADT for seven years. My business sold and I gave sufficient notice and faxed all the appropriate paperwork. The people who purchased my business also signed up with ADT. I am now receiving letters from an attorney L. Mitchell, Barry Serota & Associates that I have not paid $337.55 for early cancellation. ADT indicated that I can only cancel during a specific time frame every six months, or I will be charged a fee for early cancellation. What a crock. This has slipped through the cracks and no one at ADT has any concern for checking into this cancellation.
DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY.

• Ia
    iam4justice Feb 08, 2011

I was told when I signed up that I have 6 months money back guarantee. Now they said that only applies to an unresolved service issue. Other wise I have to pay 75% of the 3 year contract for being unhappy with my alarm that goes off all them time due to glich that they can "fix". Scam. If I had a grand I'd give it to them. They are desperate and set people up. Desperate companies eventually fail.

• Ad
    adtwins Apr 22, 2011

too bad they are the leading company in alarm systems. They are not desperate, do your research ###.

Noidiot Jan 15, 2012

Not leading for long profane One. ADT Monopoly is being replaced with self installed security systems

con artist

we had ADT service for three years, the length of the contract. before the contract was up we sent them a...

deceptive sales rep., bait-and-switch 5 yr contract

We started using ADT burglar alarm service at October 2010. After a year we decided to move out from the premises and called ADT to cancel the service. They told us the contract was for 5 years. After checking the contract we saw the 'five' years term in the small print part of the contract. (Not in numerical form but the word 'five' instead). Our sales representative Gregori Krakobski assured us that the deal did not include any commitments etc... As you may guess, he simply lied and misled us. I think ADT allows (or maybe promotes) this kind of scam done by their sales reps because they are not helpful on the phone and even if you try to contact to Corporate Customer Relations Consultants in Florida. As a result, we were not aware of a 5 year contract and the signing was like a bait-and-switch deal. After experiencing this with ADT, I personally persuaded the company I work to switch their alarm systems in 3 different locations to other security company (which offered significant discounts though, and free setup). Everything fine for now but ADT problem still not solved. Interestingly the early termination fee they want us to pay is the sum of remaining 4 years.

• Fa
    faik Oct 25, 2010

Sorry. the start date is October 2009.

Jamak Oct 26, 2010

We started using ADT burglar alarm service at October 2009. After a year we decided to move out from the premises and called ADT to cancel the service. They told us the contract was for 5 years. After checking the contract we saw the 'five' years term in the small print part of the contract. (Not in numerical form but the word 'five' instead). Our sales representative Gregori Krakobski assured us that the deal did not include any commitments etc... As you may guess, he simply lied and misled us. I think ADT allows (or maybe promotes) this kind of scam done by their sales reps because they are not helpful on the phone and even if you try to contact to Corporate Customer Relations Consultants in Florida. As a result, we were not aware of a 5 year contract and the signing was like a bait-and-switch deal. After experiencing this with ADT, I personally persuaded the company I work to switch their alarm systems in 3 different locations to other security company (which offered significant discounts though, and free setup). Everything fine for now but ADT problem still not solved. Interestingly the early termination fee they want us to pay is the sum of remaining 4 years.

faulty home security system

We had an ADT home security system installed about 3 months ago. Since then our alarm has apparently gone off twice when it was not even activated. We were not contacted to confirm if everything was in order when the alarm went off. With the first incident, we merely discovered a security officer on our property and the second we found an ADT note under our front door in the morning.

We have contacted the Service Center on 3 occassions requesting an investigation and were told that a Supervisor will contact us back. We are still waiting!! This is clearly a faulty system.

misrepresentation of service

I received an invoice for renewal of a contract effective 3/1/10.
I wrote "TERMINATE 2/22/10" on the invoice and returned it to
ADT on 2/23/10. The contract was not renewed by me because,
in response to a malfunction in the system, the ADT serviceman made
a brief inspection and reported that "We can't repair the system because it is too old." No change had been made in the system from the time ADT took over the contract many years earlier. ADT continued billing
me and I continued paying their invoices for 10 years or more, even
though ADT knew or should have known that they could not service
the system. To me this constitutes misrepreentation.
They have continued to bill me for service up to 5/8/10.

ADT = A Den of Thieves!

• Re
    Reuben Hernandez Jul 09, 2011

i have been with ADT going on three years, i refered my mom and she also signed up they were suppose to credit me for three months of service for a referal this was two years ago and still no credit my contact is up next month and i am going to done with these people once in for all.

no service, no contract, no payment

I signed a contract with ADT in 2007 in Pta. In December 2008 I moved to Jhb, and informed ADT about the move. I asked them to sypply my with a radio link for the Jhb area. Well, time went by, and early in December I phoned numerous times to get it done. On the 10th of December, I phoned again, asked them where can I get a transmitter, will install it myself. I owned a security company, so installation of a radio transmitter is nothing new for me).

I was told to go to ADT in Randburg. I took time of from work, went all the way to Randburg, and was told, no, they don't keep stock of radio transmitters.

I phoned ADT head office, and told them I will get another security company, since ADT cannot give me service. I phoned RSS that evening, and the following day, I was connected up to their control room.

Since then, I get WEEKLY sms's from ADT that my alarm doesn't work (well, clearly, since it is not connected to ADT, and I am now living in Jhb, not Pta!) and lately the sms's got threatening... my account is overdue and I will be listed on the credit bureau.

STOP HARASSING ME! You didn't give me service, and I terminated the contract on 10 December 2008.

wrongly installed somke detectors and heat sensors

In 2003 we renovated our home and had to have alarm installed in order to get home insurance.
I chose ADT due to their supposedly great service and reputation.

After having to replace many batteries over time, and after replacing them, we had to test the units to enusre they are working properly, our ears flew off from the nasty sound. We finally decided, we need a new system with a less ear numbing alarm sound and after having had problems with their service repair men and scheduling.

Turns out that ADT did not properly install the units especially the heat and fire detectors in the furnace room, and my work studio which has cathedral ceilings and is filled with flamable materials since I design rugs.
They rather placed them on a much lower area since the installer were to lazy to put them were they should belong, on the highest part of the ceivings.

Also, the box with the batterie was placed in the garage, easy for burglars to get a hold of...you name it they did it and all wrong...

The new security company advised us to call the Fire Dept. and to ask for an inspector to come to our home to inspect placements of the individual detectors, to take photos of them and then to sue ADT which we are doing now!

It is irresponsible for a company like ADT to sell and install supposed life saving fire and heat detectors if they do not even care if they are installed properly.

Lucky for us we never had a fire!!!
Today is 9/12/10 and I will keep you all posted of the outcome!

please stop calling me

Apparently ADT, more specifically B&H Electronics in Pinetown runs 'promotions' all year round so its not really a promotion or special at all, but the norm. PLEASE STOP CALLING ME! I get calls at least twice a week from your sales people and other ADT sales people. I have a security company already and am not going to change any time soon. I have asked once before that I get removed from your marketing lists. Now I am fed up - PLEASE REMOVE ME OFF ALL YOUR MARKETING LISTS IMMEDIATLY. I do not want another call from your sales team. If I do, I will go to the Pinetown court and lay a charge of invasion of privacy against ADT.

• Ab
    abcampb Jun 30, 2012

We got our Time Warner phone and over the next week we received 47 messages from ADT and that's not including the calls I answered to tell them I don't want their service or to stop calling me. I will never use them and these calls are driving me nuts so we had to change our number to an unlisted one. hopefully this will take care of the problem. ADT and/or their marketing affiliates are the absolute worst.

I am sick and tired of dealing with incompetent people

This account has been closed for approx 6 months, this morning I get an sms to tell me that my account is overdue and I should pay it to avoid being listed. Would the person responsible for this please be stopped immediately. If this whole procedure has to happen again, I am going to report you to the Ombudsman. I am now sick and tired of dealing with incompetent people.

All relevant documentation required to close the account was acknowledged as received when an I was told it would be cancelled immediately, please look into this today!

cancellation scam

ADT Money-Back Service Gaurantee is a SCAM - they sent out letters and advertise via e-mail (eg, spam) to get you get them for security reason. They have a 3 days refundable cancellation, but once they come and hook up and you sign that paper, they will NOT cancel the service nor refund you back any money even when you cancel. They will lied that you did not cancel within 3 days. When you fax them the cancellation paper, they will ignore it. Once you call them regarding to cancellation, they will give you the run around and say they lost your cancellation paper fax and they will LIED. Do not let them pull money out of your bank account, do not give them your debit card, they will shrink your bank account. They have bad customers service and they will not refund nor cancel. John Koch is the President and his letter is a BS. Their system does not work and the installer or mechanic will not fix anything if your system is broken. A lawsuit is coming their way and we'll be writing complaint letters all the internet till this problem is resolved!!

they suck!

ADT Security is a joke! And a ripoff too!
I know because I worked for them for almost 2 years as a commercial and residential service engineer in Arizona.
I designed, installed and tested technical security systems at US embassies and consulates before I retired from the USG and went to work for ADT. I am an electronic engineer and had specialized USG training in all aspects of technical security. I did military communications systems engineering for 23 years prior to working in security.
When ADT hired me, they promised 30 days of training and I got nothing! They also said I would earn $75k but it was less than half that amount. And ADT managers, who knew nothing about security, expected and demanded that service personnel do at least 7 service calls per day, regardless of the complexity of the problem. Service crews were sent out with no parts and often had to call other service personnel to see if they were nearby and had the part needed.

ADT installs alarm systems that do not work and when a burglary does happen, they tell the customer ADT is not liable since the customer did not test his alarm system monthly as they are supposed to do.
Most homeowners would not even know if their system was communicating or not with ADTs monitors (they either have a communication link over a telephone circuit or a wireless connection via a cell radio transmitter). I personally saw situations where the system was installed and not working properly and the customer had been paying for months or up to a year without knowing it.
Yet despite all the shortcomings, ADT sees fit to charge $30-40 a month for a false sense of security - it's all about profit and little to do with customer service and satisfaction.
And ADT has no installation standards, installer training, or spare parts on service trucks. I was sent to one customer’s home which was about a 1 hour ride away; when I arrived he needed a few standard 1.5 volt batteries and I had none on my truck. I had to drive to the nearest Ace hardware and buy them using my own money. At other residences, I found the heavy alarm panel mounted with only drywall screws (it was falling off the wall), exposed conductors on wires, panels installed upside down, and sensors that had been installed days ago falling off.
ADT sales reps know little about security principles and how to design a proper alarm system. They advertize the $99 special, which is OK for a studio apartment at best, and then use the bait and switch scam to get the customer to shell out $1000 or more for an “expanded” home alarm system. Sales reps are out to maximize the total sale dollar amount since they get paid on commission.
And ADT will take over any system ever installed by anyone else, as long as the customer pays the $30-40 monthly fee. Then ADT will not have trained personnel or parts to support these odd ball systems when they do fail.
Buyer beware! It is a known fact that a big guard dog is a better deterrent for burglary! And keep in mind that a critical factor for any alarm system is the time it takes for police to respond to the alarm– if you are in a remote location and it takes 30 minutes for police to get there, burglars have this much time to crash and grab.

gave wrong address to police

I agreed there customer service sucks. My alarm went off right after I left for work and the ADT operator sent the police to the wrong address. I got to work 45 minutes later they called and the operator left a message on my work phone and said to call them. When I called back they said the police were unable to locate my house and he didn't know what to do next since he had the wrong address in his computer. I shortly hung up and called a friend to go over to my house. He went over and my garage door was open, but no one was there and nothing was missing. When I called ADT back and talked to a manager she told me that was human error and it happens. I am a single female living alone and if someone had hurt me this morning I would still be lying there waiting for help... the point of paying $45 per month for an alarm is so that help shows up when it goes off. I want out of my contact so I can switch to another company but ADT said there is nothing they can do. I just have to hope that next time the operator gives the wring address to the police!!! DON'T USE ADT, there monitoring service and customer service suck.

bad ethics

They don't clearly explain that their contract binds you to pay $1, 000's if you cancel service, no matter the circumstances, even if you are not happy with their service, even if your small business is going broke.

They do not follow-up to make sure their services are working correctly.

They do not call you if your alarm goes off.

They charge you less $ to replace the Entire system and more $ Just to replace the battery. I think that is very wasteful.

They allow their customer service employees (& us) to have to listen to a continual beeping noise sound during phone calls.

They charge you by the number of days in the month instead of monthly. If you pay by automatic through your bank, you will get major late fees for the 31day months.

ADT a company that needs to greatly improve their ethics and appreciate their employees and customers.

I do not suggest anyone use ADT services.

• Ph
    phaygon Nov 26, 2012

I'm a very unhappy customer and wish I was never mislead by joining them, now there are no turning back bind by a contract they didn't explain to me.

crooks

We attained the services of adt. 1 month later our home was broken into. The system failed to protect us. We chose adt because of the rebate they offered; pay $300 installation fee and get $200 back within 4 to 6 weeks. Never ever got the check after multiple complaints. They have another gurantee that states ; if you are not happy within 6 months of adt services we will refund all monotoring fees and installation. Adt will not honor that gurantee either. The other gurantee states: adt will reimburse you up to $500 in the event of bulgary. Its all a bunch of lies just to get you to sign their 3 year contract. My mother attained their services as well. It has been 6 months and still no rebate check. They are a bunch of crooks I honestly have to question the honesty of their employees as well. I would not be surprised if the police told me that the fingerprints lead back to an adt employee. Go elseware they will not honor any of their gurantees and the honesty of their employee is questionable.

lawsuit

I am currently conducting an investigation that ADT was knowingly installing faulty systems into customers homes. We are specifically looking for anyone who had issues with the GE Concord Express including, but not limited to: problems with the cellular fault lines, end of line resistors, delay in zones and control panel malfunctions.

If you have any information and would be interested in speaking to us, please email me at [protected]@gmail.com.

Thank you.

• Al
    alarmsystemsinvestigations2 Jun 24, 2010

If you have any information and would be interested in speaking to us, please email me at [email protected]

Thank you.

jackzack001 Jul 28, 2010

ADT Security is a joke! And a ripoff too!

• Fi
    FISHER01 Aug 01, 2010

ADT= PROVIDES NO SERVICE, CONTINUES TO BILL- EDISON HAD A POWER OUTAGE IN MY AREA, MONTH + AGO- ADT NEVER CALLED, SO I UNPLUGGED THE UNIT- NEVER CALLED. COULD BE DEAD, ROBBED, BOTH- HAVE RECEIVED 2 BILLS WHEN UNIT IS UNPLUGGED- FRAUD

investigation

I am currently conducting an investigation that ADT knowingly installed faulty systems into customers homes. We are specifically looking for anyone who had problems with their GE Concord Express systems.

If you have any information and are interested in potentially being part of a class action suit, please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com.

Thank you in advance.

fraud

I am currently conducting an investigation that ADT knowingly installed faulty GE Concord Express security systems into customers homes. If you have a GE Concord Express and have experienced any problems with the system, please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com.

Look forward to hearing from you

• Br
    Britishraj May 21, 2012

Still no help. Just answering machines and sorry i can't help you...you need another department. I have called many times. I have waited for 3 months. When i tell them i am going to cancel the contract that i have been paying on for three months due to no service they tell me about all the fees i would have to pay. Please do not do business with ADT they are the worst in customer service i have ever seen. One of their own sales men told me it is hard for him to come back and help me once he has made the sale becouse he has a quota to meet and he does not have time for me once the contract has been signed I called ADT among many other alarm companies when I was shopping for a service. After about an hour long conversation, I agreed to have someone come out and look around my home to discuss setting up the service and signing their contract. I was told my credit card would not be charged until the contract was signed and I just had to give them the number to hold the appointment. Two days later I had a charge for $107, their activation fee +tax. When I called customer service, I was told that's their policy and I would have to wait 30 days for my refund. When I explained that wasn't good enough and I had been promised that nothing would be charged in the first place, he told me to read my brochure (which I didn't have, I'd spoken to someone on the phone) and I would have to wait 30 days like everyone else. That's when I asked for a supervisor and the call got really bad. I spent 20 minutes on the phone with the CUSTOMER SERVICE rep telling me that a supervisor was not available but they would call me back. When I said I wanted to hold, he told me that this wasn't a supervisor issue and they were going to tell me the same thing he had already explained. By the end of my phone call with him, he was threatening to "disconnect the call" if I couldn't realize that I didn't need to speak to a supervisor. I finally got the supervisor who said she would escalate the refund (that should not have been charged in the first place)! I HATE ADT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SALESMEN AND CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW THEY ARE STILL IN BUSINESS!

unprofessional and misleading service

Super-nice agent when he came to my apartment to sign me up. 2 years later, I was moving to another apartment and it was all fine with their "moving" option. Suddenly, I get a letter in the mail saying my account was with collections!!! This is inspite of the fact, I called twice and made sure that the account is still active and I could get it activated in another location. Very obnoxious customer service. Not to mention, the alarm unit was defective. It never worked for one of the windows. And when I called them, they said I would have to pay more to get it fixed. Stay away.

intentional registration of false alarm

Elaborate scam! At 6:07 pm on monday, 5/17/2010 according to adt there was an alarm event that took place at...

bad service

I signed a contract with ADT. They showed up, yanked out my old system, then told me they wouldn't install the new system as we agreed unless I payed for 4-8 hours of labor. I said no and so now I have a hole in my wall form where they yanked out my old system and my old system not working. I've called them on several occassions. They told me they would be out to put back my old system on two occasions but never showed up - just left me sitting there waiting for them - not even a call to say they weren't coming!

• Lr
    Lrd Jun 03, 2016

Adt has the worst customer service. they set the appointment for service problems with their system and then pull a no show leaving you unprotected

for days on end. when they didnt show up i called them to find out what was going on they said there werent any techs available at the time but i could pay extra for emergency service??? thats right folks they wanted me to pay extra for the service call they scheduled and didnt show up for!!!

please research carefully when choosing a security company to protect you.

the biggest doesnt necessarily mean the best.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices