Acer Aspire Notebooks — out of warranty/defective machine repairs needed
I am writing to find out just who is interested in a class action suit and who is not on many forums I have traveled to in the past 2 weeks trying to find out what is wrong with my Acer Aspire 5100. I have since discovered that it is a 60% chance that it is the Motherboard, and a 20% chance that it is the Graphics card, and a 20% chance that it is neither of those and is something else.
The problem with the "something else" is that it will cost me $60.00 $200.00 just to find out what the actual problem is. Then it will cost me another approx. $450.00 to fix it if it is either the Motherboard or the Grahics Card since the Graphics card is part of the motherboard which means the motherboard needs replacing either way. And of course since most all of the hardware components are integrated in the motherboard, that 20% chance of being something else is probably going to be something else on the motherboard anyways.
[b]Age of Computer:[/b] 1.5 yrs. (purchased in Aug. 2007)
[b]Symptoms:[/b] 1 long beep, 2 short beeps, does nothing else, will not boot up at all.
[b]Actions Tried:[/b] Searched for almost 2 weeks straight to find hundreds of people have posted on the internet with the same or similar problems, many talking about joining a class action suit.
Put in a ticket to Acer:[/b] Responded with the -
*pull out the battery, unplug the power cord, hold the power button down for 30 secs, plug the power cord back in, wait for boot up, put battery back in*
This is what most of the posts on forums suggested so I had already tried it, but tried it again just for posterity.
This failed completely as it never booted up.
[b]Acer's Suggestion:[/b] Send it in for repair at a cost of approx. $450.00 as it's most likely the motherboard that needs replacing.
[b]PROBLEM:[/b] I spent $600.00 on this computer less than 2 years ago. I have read hundreds of posts on various forums that claim this exact problem as well as hundreds of posts with similar problems, all spanning dozens of Acer Notebook/Laptop models.
[b]BIGGER PROBLEM:[/b] The posts mentioned above have stemmed all the way back to the year 2005!!
[b]BIGGEST PROBLEM:[/b] Why are we having to pay for a machine problem that is obviously not user error or just a lemon part! This is an ongoing problem that Acer has not bothered to address to fix and those of us out of warrenty for a very short time are basically expected to forfeit not only the cost of the Laptop, but also expected to pay to repair an ongoing problem that shouldn't even still be there!
I am looking to start a Class Action Suit against Acer for the above mentioned problems. I am not sure yet how to even go about this, nor do I have any information as to what will happen, could happen, or if it even CAN happen. I only know I am going to look into this matter and start one if at all possible if there is enough support (people also looking to do something about their loss of computer and money invested).
[b]WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP:[/b]
If you are one of the many who have been struck with any of the above problems mentioned or similar to it, then I want to hear from you and start some type of contact list so I have something to go on when I try talking with some lawyers to see what we can do.
Please email me with at least your name and a valid email. If you are uncomfortable giving your ISP or main email, feel free to open a new email account at Gmail, or Yahoo or Hotmail or wherever so we can correspond. I promise your information will go no farther than my contact list and my compilation of information for submitting to a lawyer for proof that there is probable cause for a Class Action Suit.
IF you are anyone that has any ideas on how to go about starting a Class Action suit I would also like to hear from you please. Feel free to email me so I can get this rolling A.S.A.P
My Name is Jo Ann Rice
My email is [protected]@yahoo.com[/b]
Please do not spam me, as I'm sure I'll have enough email coming in for this not to have to deal with spam too :P
Thank you for your time and please spread the word to any other sites or forums or people you are aware of having Acer problems similar to above.
[b]NOTE:[/b] This would only be valid for those of us that are out of warranty, so please if you are still under warranty contact Acer and get it fixed! :P
More Acer Aspire Notebooks Complaints & Reviews
- Acer / Aspire 5570z - faulty laptop, faulty customer service!
- Acer Aspire 9410-4933 - cracked lcd cover by hinges
- Acer Aspire One laptop - always freezes up
- Acer Laptop - surely the worst
- Acer - Acer Aspire 5100 Series Notebook - I will never buy another acer product!
- Acer America Corp - bad products/service
- Acer - keyboard
- Acer Computer - unscrupulous behavior
- Acer Aspire 5610Z - cd/dvd drive failures
- Acer - laptop