Abercrombie Fitch / Racial ProfilingRACIAL PROFILING

December 11, 2010
As a concerned resident of (Yonkers, NY), I am writing about a problem of racial profiling. That occurred on December 11, 2010 at 6pm, while I was leaving your store Abercrombie fitch, at the Westchester mall store # 10527 one of your security officers stopped my husband & myself based solely on according to your store manager was suspicious activity
First of he said it was store policy before anyone leaves the store, funny thing, as he attempted to GRAB the bag from my husbands hand he asked did we have a receipt for the items we had. I asked him what the hell did he think was in my hand? All awhile a customer was walking right out the store; he did not ASK THAT CUSTOMER TO STOP!! BUT ITS STORE POLICY??!!??? We had other bags as its is Christmas and that was not our first store, he then asked to see what was inside our other bag as reluctant as my husband was he opened that bag as well, meanwhile a scene was being formed outside the store you not UNDERSTAND the embarrassment we went through?
We then left dumfounded as to what happened, we went back to Abercrombie fitch and watched on the opposite side of the mall, NOT ONE CUSTOMER was stopped WHEN THEY LEFT THE STORE as frustrated I became I went back to speak to the guard to ask him if its STORE POLICY WHY DIDNT HE STOP ANYONE ELSE. Again your store manager stated that we beeped when we left the store.. I said you are joking right? I asked how is that possible when there are no alarm sensors at the doors. At that moment she changed her story again and told me that one of the employees suspected suspicious activity. I said could it have been when we were waiting online for 20 minutes SPENDING $ 175.00 because there was only one cashier as busy as that store was? She smirked & laughed and said LIKE I SAID ONE OF THE EMPLOYEES SUSPECTED SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY at this point again another scene I then asked her for the her district mangers name & information she refused to give me the information. I said fine so I asked did the security guard work his identification and did he work for Abercrombie fitch or the mall? she said that we worked for the mall. I again left because there was no answers or cooperation and truly pointless.
Since she told me the guard worked for the mall I thought let me go make a report on the guard, again she made me like a complete idiot after waiting for a security supervisor for the mall we came to find out that he didnt work for the mall he worked for Abercrombie fitch through a different company.
The mall supervisor security guard told me to go into the other Abercrombie fitch and get the information I needed because clearly I couldnt get it from the original store, as aggravated as I was the store manager at that store clearly seen I was so upset & frustrated that she asked was there anything she could have done.. I told her as appreciated as I was for her offering to help there was nothing she can do. I also told her that if my daughter didnt want the coat that I brought her I would have returned it immediately without hesitation. But just know I WOULD NEVER SPEND ANOTHER PENNY IN THAT STORE EVER, After telling my daughter what happen she urged me to return the coat.. Please forward my thanks again over to her.
This violated our civil rights. For unreasonable search and seizure There cant be an explanation that can justify why they both did Without parable cause, needless to say neither one of that had a reason this was based on hearsay, which was unfounded information, not even an apology was given! I urge you to take action now to address this problem. And unfortunately this is not THE LAST of this I WILL be seeking legal actions!

• Vi
    Viviene Brockington Mar 01, 2016

They are racist as hell. I had the same exact thing happen to me and my boyfriend.

• So
    S.O.L Feb 22, 2011

Hmmm...sounds like a case for REDSHIELD...get Louie on the phone stat!

• Tr
    TristanMarshall Feb 22, 2011

I hate when people, usually white, hear a racist story and go "that happens to everybody" "lighten up, it's not racism". It's pretty impossible for someone else, especially one who hasn't experienced much racism, to intelligently brush it off as nothing. Most non-white people know racism and most racists go out of there way to be subtle and to make sure only the person/people being discriminated against get the idea. A big reason why things like this still happen is that plenty of non-racist white people think racism doesn't exist or would rather ignore it. Get off it people! Abercombie has been sued, and settled, for being racist already and there is no shortage of public documentation, from customers and employees, that the store is racist. That doesn't mean that this incident was, beyond the shadow of a doubt, racist but hey "if you've been convicted of murder and my friend finds his dog dead in your backyard, I'm gonna lean towards YOU as the culprit before accusing my friend of being paranoid".

pobarjenkins Dec 15, 2010

Danny: You spelt "Baghdad" incorrectly. Anyways, I am from Minnesota. And when I was a teenager, I was stopped like that a few times. I didn't enjoy it, but I was okay with it as I knew I was innocent and knew that the stores were just covering their behinds. It never embarassed me and I never felt disrespected. Now when I go shopping I just have my receipt and bags ready to be check.

• Da
    DANNY74 Dec 15, 2010

OK pobarjenkins, i guess you wouldnt get upset of someone accuse you of stealing and snatching your bags out your hand, so your telling me you would be like, oh im innocent so its ok to disrespect me and embarrass me in front of other people.Tell me where do you live(BAGDAG)

pobarjenkins Dec 15, 2010

"I HAVE been stopped with bags going out of stores. Guess what? I opened the bag, let the person check it and moved on."

I am right there with you. I have been more than happy to participate in the theft check at stores. I always have everything ready to be checked even if they don't ask for it. I know I'm innocent, so why get upset?

• Da
    DANNY74 Dec 15, 2010

First of all i only had 1 other bag from the clarks store and the bag from Af, which consist of the 1 coat i the stuff i bought.Also i had the receipt in my hand reading it as we walked out the store.In that store at the time yes we was the only minority.Also after the incdent, we stood on the other side of the mall and watch the guard for about 20 mintues and during that time we did not see him stop anyone else.But the manager said it was company policy to stop everyone.I guess if it has never happen to you, you would not understand.The guard look white but he could have been puerto rican.But the fact remains we only stood online for almost 30 mintues, we never tried any clothes on, never went in the dressing room.We went found the coat and proceeded to the check out line.The coat was gift so there was no need to try on.

pobarjenkins Dec 15, 2010

I have been stopped before at stores as well. It's just loss prevention, not a personal insult.