Menu
Xcel Energy
reviews & complaints

Xcel Energy
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

112 complaints
15 resolved 97 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Xcel Energy. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
R
11:02 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We received three disconnect notices from Xcel in one month. The first was for $168, due the 2nd of the month. We paid it. The second notice for the same amount, $168 was due the 23rd of the same month. We paid that as well. Both times we called to make payment arrangements and was told BOTH times that we had to pay them or would be disconnected. Now we get...

3:02 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

There really is no "Cold Weather Rule" for the northern states anymore. I called Xcel at the start of the winter to inquire about a payment plan for this winter, to make sure I would be covered under the "Cold Weather Rule". I generally pay $100/mo for electricity all year round. They set the monthly payment for me at over $150, because as they said my...

D
8:11 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I recieved a bill from Xcel for a little over $800. So i assumed it was a mistake and called them to get it resolved. They infomed me that they read the meters in April and from April til August all of my bills had been averaged off of the years prior. Well this home had been vacant for 2 years before making the bills nothing since all utilities were off...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On Thursday 12-17-09 our residential services were disconnected due to being one bill behind (reduced to one income due to medical reasons) and there was no notice given. Now, I understand that the company was within their right to do this, however, we paid the outstanding amount due and were told that services would be restored most likely that day, but...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I AM A STUDENT AND AS I CALLED TO MAKE A PAYMENT ON MY 40.61 CURRENT ACCOUNT I WAS TOLD I OWED 366.65 . TURNS OUT THAT XCEL ENERGY TRANSFERED MY SISTER DELIQUENT ACCOUNT TO MY CURRENT ACCOUNT BECUASE IN THE SUMMER I MADE A PAYMENT FOR MY SISTER USING MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND SINCE MY SISTER DOES NOT HAVE A ACTIVE XCEL ENERGY ACCOUNT THEY MATCHED MY CHECKING...

G
1:30 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Exel Energy is a complete rip off, very unprofessable, our electric bills are so crazy high compared to our neighbors, and all Xcel Engery can say is that you can not compare bills, they want us to do an engery audit which Xcel Energy pays 3/4 of the audit and you pay 90 .00 of, how stupid do they think i am, they are a complete monoplized RIP OFF !!, there...

L
4:16 pm EDT

Xcel Energy - estimated bills

My little family lives in a tiny one bedroom apartment above a garage, and we haven't used our furnace since Jan. '08, so the only gas being used in our house is our apartment size stove. And yet our bills were getting to be $119, for just gas! That doesn't include our electric! Our electric was at $251! Mind you, our little apartment consists of 5 light switches for four rooms. We have one laptop which is only plugged in when it needs to be charged, which only takes an hour to full charge, two tvs and a small stereo. Can anyone explain how the hell our gas and electric can be that high when we have nothing!

2 comments
B
Jul 19, 2010 7:51 pm EDT

Allowing the Public Utilities to be run by a private corporation was a huge mistake. Many American citizens work who work for Xcel are a making a nice profit and probably enjoy their air conditioning. I don't have the facts on how much profit Xcel makes or does not make but in my ideal reality the profit would be zero. Public Utilities should be non profit. Yes people should be paid fairly to do the job of running the Public Utilities, but corporate profit from Public Utilities is un-American.

Mar 10, 2010 9:31 am EST

If you live in WI I'm going to have to make the assumption that some form of heat is needed to keep the apt from freezing up in the winter months. I think this might be a rip off from your landlord. Check to see if they heat the garage and where the gas for that is coming from, if it's off your meter it means you are getting billed to keep the garage toasty which Xcel Energy wouldn't know about. Check with rental laws for your state in MN it is illegal for landlords to do that and they have to get it corrected or put the bills for the apt in their name. If you are using electric space heaters in place of a gas furnace...don't. Electric space heaters can cost anywhere from 1-4+ dollars a day if they are running more than an hour or so (total combined). It is much more cost effective to heat with gas. Normally if you use a space heater and mange to knock 10$ of your gas bill it will show up as 20$-30$ on the electric bill.

A
5:44 am EDT

Xcel Energy - unauthorized charges

I am one of the unfortunate millions that have become victimized by this huge monopoly called Xcel. These people are the absolute bottom of the barrel and the only game in town which is the attitude you encounter no matter who you have to talk to or how many times.

My ex left a huge past due amount when he ditched his family a few months ago. Even though I was never on the lease or the Xcel account, I am being harassed because I am the only one they can find. I was instructed by three different Xcel reps that all I needed to do was open an account in my name only, pay my bills on time, which I have, and they would pursue my ex for the past due amount. I did as I was told in opening a new account but Xcel has rolled my ex's past due - $500 + - into my account because he is nowhere to be found. Even though I have provided his new address and phone number, they continue to hound me. None of the other utilities my ex stiffed has done this - only Xcel. My guess is because I am paying for all the other ex's that ditch their families and all of the foreclosures that aren't paying their bills. Xcel is going after only those few they can actually find and harass. Where else are we going to go? It's not like we have a choice.

This isn't the first time Xcel has screwed with my billing and unless I can move, it probably won't be the last. Don't bother with filing a PUC complaint because they are a waste of time just like trying to find an intelligent person at Xcel is.

4 comments
Nov 24, 2008 6:08 am EST

We are a military family and moved out of our condo and canceled service in June of 2008. We moved to Texas and placed our house on the market. The house did not sell until Oct. of 2008. It was sitting completely empty and unoccupied until it sold. Now Xcel is billing us $205.74 for services provided between June and Oct. I called to ask what the bill was about, and was told that since we had owned the condo we are responsible for paying the energy usage.

I replied that I should not be held accountable for the bill because I had specifically CANCELED the service! And it's not my fault that since Xcel did not turn the power off to the property it was still consuming energy. Their response is that they never turn the power off, they just take your name off of the bill. And since I did not turn the breakers off I'm responsible for the consumption.

I asked if they had something in writing stating that I'm responsible for turning off the breaker after canceling services to avoid getting charged. Their response was no. When I asked for all the information needed to contest this bill I was told to 'look online'. I said no that is unacceptable and asked that all the papers necessary to contest this bill be mailed to my current address. So I can document all communication.

I was speaking to Specialist Carmen employee # 6263.

I had also asked to speak with someone of higher authority who can help me with this issue. I was told by Carmen that they would have to call me back, so I gave her my number and had it reconfirmed twice. This all happened today so I'm still waiting for a response. I was told that they usually get back to me in the same day.

Mar 25, 2009 8:01 am EDT

Oct 28, 2011 8:39 am EDT

I had my ex do the same thing to me.now I'm stuck with no electricy for maybe a month.cause I owe them a 1000 dollars.excel is so screwed is mn get another big company come in and would have to compete with.cause I would be there customer.and NOT excel..

E
Nov 11, 2009 9:42 pm EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We are being billed twice for one xcel account! Our current apartment office claims that they are completing payment of the bill, which is added to our monthly rent balance. However, we received a mail bill today that states we owe them over four hundred dollars... This is absolutely unacceptable, and will not be tolerated. I have half a mind to contact my attorney in the morning, but will spend more hourly for his time than for the actual extra bill. My personal opinion on the matter, Xcel needs to sort their ### out and work FOR the people. This all feels eerily similar to the Enron fiasco, only on a smaller customer by customer basis.

T
10:49 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Xcel Energy - unexpained charges

My Electric and gas usage (via meter readings) is way less than the caps and the taxes. $56.00 for Electric and Gas bill realtime. Grand Total of $122.00. I called and asked for details and conversion factors and math used. NOBODY at excel knew or had the knowledge about it. I could not get a single intelligent source on even explaining the bill details. they had ABSOLUTELY no idea about what the numbers meant on the bill.
(called on Dec 29th 9.00 P.M. 2008, after the sticker shock bill)
Ideas are welcome! Who do I ask now that I am stuck with Excel and no alternatives?

M
6:58 am EST

Xcel Energy - unauthorized billing

I called to ask what the bill was about, and was told that since we had owned the condo we are responsible for paying the energy usage. I replied that I should not be held accountable for the bill because I had specifically CANCELED the service! And it's not my fault that since Xcel did not turn the power off to the property it was still consuming energy.

Their response is that they never turn the power off, they just take your name off of the bill. And since I did not turn the breakers off I'm responsible for the consumption. I asked if they had something in writing stating that I'm responsible for turning off the breaker after canceling services to avoid getting charged. Their response was no.

I was speaking to Specialist Carmen employee # 6263.

V
12:53 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had damage to my natural gas line in to my house. I understood that it would be an expensive repair bill, but the bill that I received was outrageous. The final bill arrived and the materials were charged at $68 and the equipment was charged at $119. No problem, that's the cost of materials and goods. The part that is in dispute is this: I had two...

V
12:00 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I just paid my bill and was surprised at the cost. It was over 140$! Let me explain why this bothers me. All of November, I not once turned my heater on (and yes my small 700sq ft apartment got down to 50f). It wasn't on low, I mean it was off. O-F-F. I have 2 computers in there that aren't used very much and site on idle or standby (consuming very little...

Xcel Energy contacts