Wyzant.comA complete and utter waste of time

A

In my very brief experience and in my opinion, it was ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. I signed up for Wyzant seeking a foreign language tutor for my young toddler in my home. I learned about Wyzant through a segment on CNBC. After carefully vetting their list of tutors who appeared to meet my requirements, I selected a tutor and requested that the tutor contact me via telephone first. The corporate company then sent me an email explaining that although they had forwarded the specified tutor my email, they deleted the my phone information and I could contact their company if I had questions. I contacted them and while their customer service representative was pleasant, their policy of PAYMENT FIRST, BEFORE you even get to speak to your selected tutor was RIDICULOUS. I explained due to previous bad online tutor experiences where some individuals claimed native fluency and qualifications only to prove otherwise, there was NO way I was going to let a stranger that I didn't even get to speak to into my home around my kid. Not knowing how legit this company was, I explained I did not feel comfortable giving them my credit card info and I further explained that if Wyzant was worried about getting their "cut, " I'd be more than happy if they conducted a three way call which they could partake in. The very courteous rep said they couldn't do that and I indicated that I wasn't interested. Literally after hanging up with the representative, I received several emails from prospective tutors WHOM I DID NOT even send an email to. This necessitated my calling back their customer service dept a second time and asking them to remove my info from their database as I couldn't even unsubscribe from their website. A complete and utter waste of time!

• 20
    2010shawn Sep 04, 2012

I had the same problem with them and a local tutoring company as well. That's why I created my own tutoring website, TextbookTactics.com. We do not charge a commission to host tutor profiles, we charge a low monthly rate of $19.99 and you can receive up to three months free when you sign up. We provide a lot of free, helpful videos to students which provides our tutors with a large client base that can find their profile. My goal is to make tutoring more affordable for families and to see tutors earn more for their work.
    Best,
    Shawn

• Ho
    hotshot999 Mar 16, 2013

It is good to see the other side of the coin here. As a tutor, all we get are snippets of people wanting tutoring. They probably don't tell yo that they list your information for us to probe. They do tell us that the client doesn't have payment information on file. Without that information, we cannot even contact the client. The email system literally blocks our phone numbers. I can maybe understand that people want to try before they buy, but from the tutor's point of view, that is ridiculous. It seems that both sides think the company is ridiculous.

• Is
    Isaak Berg Sep 15, 2016

I'm sorry to disagree, but I feel that this complaint is unwarranted. I have tutored with Wyzant since 2010 and although in the beginning, I too felt the phone-number blocking policy was a bit extreme, I have come around to the realization that it is very sensible.

To set the record straight: Wyzant does NOT demand PAYMENT up front. They only ask that the customer show that they have the ability/authority to pay by asking for PAYMENT INFORMATION up front. This helps reduce the possibility that people who should not be ordering tutoring-for-payment services, including potentially millions of enterprising web-savvy children in grade school acting without their parent's permission, cannot order and receive tutoring and then say "I'm sorry I didn't know this wasn't free. Therefore I don't owe you anything. Tough one, Wyzant.", or "I'm sorry I don't have that much" (or any) "cash on me today", "Can I pay you back later?", etc.

If you don't receive satisfactory tutoring from Wyzant, you don't owe anything -- and you get up to one hour to evaluate whether or not the tutoring is satisfactory. They keep your payment information safe until the tutor bills them for the completed session. It is a much better option than paying $20 just for the privilege of talking to tutors (3 months free or not)

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices