Walmartdon't buy air beds at walmart

M

This happened sometime ago. We were having company come to stay for a week and I decided since I had tried one when stayed with family that an elevated type air bed would be good thing to get, up until then I had used an air mattress on and off but getting up off the floor at 50 is getting to be a bit of a challenge. So I went to Walmart, found basically what I was looking for at a reasonable price and bought it. I got it home and went ahead and set it up that night to make sure there wouldn't be a problem. Sure enough, the thing didn't stay inflated, as much air as there was in there I could actually feel the floor before half the night was over. So, I boxed it up as best I could (they wouldn't be able to resell the thing anyway) and took it straight back to the store. Lo and behold, the first thing the lady behind the return desk tells me is that they 'don't do refunds on air beds'. I managed to get my money refunded in the end (mostly because I refused to take no for an answer and the fact that I used a credit card for the purchase doubtless helped, too) but apparently the company has an unwritten exchange only policy for air beds, so if you need one buy elsewhere. Also, I attempted to write an email directly to the company shortly after this event and it seemed to refuse to go through.

• Ra
    Rainbowsockz Feb 02, 2011

I would advise attempting to contact the Store Manager and inquiring whether the policy is store-specific or company-wide. I have worked for Walmart for a few years now--granted, as a cashier not as a customer service representative--and have never heard of a "no returns" policy except for the posted exceptions for opened CDs and computer software. I'll ask around at my own store this weekend and see if this policy applies here, too. If that's the case, I'll start warning my customers because if I didn't know, how should they?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices