Vonsthey ripped me off

On Aug 15th, I purchased a $50 AMEX gift card for a friend as a gift. I later on find out that the card had a zero balance. I called the VONS corporate office & they agreed to replace the card. I picked up the replacement card and later on find out that the replacement card also had a zero balance! I called once again and they apologized & agreed to replace the card for a 2nd time. I picked up the 2nd replacement card and it also had a zero balance! Is this a joke??? Am I just supposed to forget about the $50 and write it off? I want my money back! $50 may not be a lot for some people but it is a lot for me! Refund me back my money VONS in Granada Hills in cash or a check-not another gift card!