Vonageponzi scheme

M

Vonage is a Ponzi scheme. I say this based on my experience with Vonage service, and viewing the company's current commercials. The commercials new customers making statements such as:
"I can't tell any difference between the signals (of the previous company and Vonage)".
and several similar statements indicating that Vonage sounds very good, just as good as the previous phone company. My quote above is a paraphrase but it is very close and the meaning is absolutely as I have indicated it to be.

This goes along perfectly with my experience with Vonage- AT FIRST. But after a period of time had elapsed, maybe 1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years, I'm not sure exactly how long, Vonage switched me
to their INFERIOR QUALITY SERVICE. Calls began to be difficult to make and difficult to recieve. In short order, things declined to Vonage's WORST QUALITY SERVICE. I could hardly hear the other person on the line and that person could hardly hear me. Since this happened at just beyond the time of the EQUIPMENT WARRANTY, Vonage wanted something like $188 for new equipment to supposedly fix the problem.

However, I no longer trusted Vonage. I changed back to my Cable company and have had some problems but not nearly as many as with Vonage. The problems I have had are incoming callers telling me that they get all sorts of strange results rather than reaching me. I have not yet called in to try to get this fixed, however.

I say that Vonage is a PONZI SCHEME because I believe that they knowingly and intentionally give high quality service to NEW CUSTOMERS, then switch to LOW QUALITY SERVICE at
specified later dates. Whether that switch is in one or two stages I'm not sure, but I am almost
certain that they INTENTIONALLY SWITCH from HIGH to LOW quality service at a specified
date. That means that new customers will give them good reviews, while long term customers
get "screwed".

If you have had an experience like this, please post it here so that there is more proof that this SCAM is going on at VONAGE.

Thank you.

• Se
    sets Jul 11, 2013

I like vonages service but the fees and surcharges are crazy i pay another 11 to 12 dollars a month on top of the normal rate I am going to go look for another company mabe majic jack, I know they are cheeper I just don't know about service

• Cl
    CLASSYLADYLO Feb 26, 2012

GO THE STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU THIS GOT TO STOP THEY ARE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!!!

• Zj
    zJustMe Jun 15, 2011

Vonage is a scam! I was a customer since 2017 and recently made the decision to cancel based on the way they have decided to redefine "unlimited". If you use more than 3000 minutes a month (basically a little more than 1.5 hours a day) you are classifed as a business and will have to take a business line and pay twice as much. If you have a teenager you know this is easy to burn through ... besides it's supposed to be UNLIMITED.

I have reported them to the FCC, NJ Atty Generals Office and BBB ... let's see what happens.

If you are thinking of switching to Vonage BEWARE. Lastly, cancelling is a hastle as they try to keep billing and once you port a number to them - good luck getting it back ... it's like pulling teeth!

• Zj
    zJustMe Jun 15, 2011

• Re
    reallife29 May 12, 2011

I know for the money you pay them for basic cable you don't get not 1 good channel and I'm not talking about HBO. They don't give you none of the crime shows, the only channel that comes close is trueTV and they're not that good. So really all they give you to watch is channel 13, Wow, the news.

• Ca
    Caitlin2009 Apr 17, 2011

i briefly signed up with them for at least a month and half with there "free" promotion which was supposed to be for a month! I ended up getting charged for calling my fiance overseas to which they cut my service off after a few days and told me it was a half month whatever cycle so that my bill didnt sky rocket, this was supposed to be a free month i dont care if there is a half month cycle just in case of overuse YOU ADVERTISED A FREE MONTH, THATS MEANS EVERYTHING INCLUDING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE FREE !!! now i still have to pay a bill that i shouldnt even have to pay, pisses me off!

mellis12 Mar 18, 2011

The truth is simple and amazing. As soon as I switched back to my cable company my phone service immediately went back to normal. In fact, the telephone worked better, and telephone calls go through every time.

Countless calls to the multiple layers of Vonage technical help did not resolve the TERRIBLE service, just calling 40 miles away. After trying everything, yes everything.. I was asked to do, and then asked to pay not under $100 but closer to $200 for new Vonage equipment, a real insult- why invest in JUNK? I gave up on this company that cannot provide a quality telephone service.

If this is not a Ponzi scheme, how do you explain the better service at first and the deteriorating service after a while? Is it the trash Vonage box? People should then be aware that they will be required to BUY new Vonage equipment when the Vonage box dies. I have not experienced this with any other phone service, ever. Every piece of equipment is replaced free of charge.

Those multiple layers of Vonage tech help make things more difficult, not easier. Do you ever wonder why you lose most of your customers? One example:
    In these times discount phone services should post solid gains, but when people find out that it simply DOES NOT WORK, they go back to phone companies that do.

• Pt
    ptcruzinmama Mar 18, 2011

Vonage is a great company both to work for and to have. I have had the pleasure of both! Melis12, by chance did you do all of the troubleshooting steps that vonage purposed of you? If not that would be why they wanted to charge you for the device. And a new vonage device if unable to be deemed defective is $79.99 plus taxes and shipping so roughly $100.00 total depending on where you live for the taxes. There are many culprits that could cause the issue that you were having. It could be Home Wiring where you have your phone line from your vonage to you wall outlet, it could have been your ISP, I could have been the telephone cord (yes believe it or not this could be a problem!) there are any number of things that it could have been. But in my experience a lot of customers will not work with us to fix the issue at hand they want an immediate fix and it does not always happen that way. We do have many levels of tech support and will work with a customer to fix the issue regardless of their tenure we are required to treat each and every customer with the utmost respect that we can give. I have been with Vonage Tech Support for a year now and I know first hand that I usually can turn those customers that are screaming and yelling at us into a laughing customer who is happy. I apologize that you were not given that courtesy that you deserve. We do not degrade service based on how long you have been with us. That I can promise. Our billing practices are not all on Vonage. You also must take into effect where you live, this will account for a lot of the taxes and fees that are paid out.

AndyRed83 Mar 15, 2011

I had to disconnect my new connection after 5 days because of the unreliable billing charges. They charged me $150 overages and charged my card for numbers that I dialed incorrectly and never made a connection though. The explanation they give is international calls start getting charged as soon as I dial them not when the call is connected. And also that call is kept active till the connection is made even if I disconnect. When I contacted them about the charges they said they can reimburse only half because policy prohibits them. I was so disappointed with the customer service explanation for the wrong charges that I canceled the service. The result 5 day stint with the company and I am out $174 ($24 (up from $14.99 that they advertise) + $150 for calls I never made). I did not care that I could have kept the service another 25 days because I paid for 1 month. I cannot be with a company whose billing service is not reliable to keep track of the calls and whose customer service keeps giving wrong explanation. The words "I am sorry for the wrong information the other agent gave you" were repeated atleast 5 times and I talked to 3 different agent/supervisors.

mellis12 Feb 12, 2011

Both boxes eventually needed to be replaced; however Time Warner did not charge a fee for the replacement while Vonage wanted to charge nearly $200. I have been reading the mountains of complaints elsewhere about Vonage which make it plain to see that Vonage is an irresponsible company that tries to make money at the expense of its customers, using terrible tactics. If you're going to try to make money, don't do it with unethical practices. That is my point and I still think that I'm right- considering the huge amount of other people Vonage tries to cheat.

Verizon is another one. Awful billing tactics- not all but some customers.

• Bw
    bwl4art Feb 12, 2011

I forgot to add... from your initial complaint it sounds far more plausible that your ISP is the culprit - reduced bandwidth, congestion, modem etc...

• Bw
    bwl4art Feb 12, 2011

I've had Vonage since May, 2017 and have no complaints. Call quality has been excellent and even their customer service has improved - when my adaptor started deteriorating after 5 years they replaced it for free.

mellis12 Feb 12, 2011

(the reason he wanted to keep Vonage is that he made little use of the landline at the time, but for me it is my main phone service)

mellis12 Feb 12, 2011

I will add more: I had an Electronic Engineer- not just any Electronic Engineer, but a genius living in this house and using Vonage the entire time I had Vonage. He understands the Physics of Electronics the way most people understand how to turn on a light switch. Anyway, he loved Vonage, and wanted to keep it, but I just couldn't get it fixed. He wasn't going to open their equipment nor the cable co's equipment and nullify it's warranty. In the end I was forced by Vonage's failure to repair the equipment, and it's insistence on nearly $200 worth of new equipment to fix the problem (1-how could I trust this. and 2- why should I have to pay for new equipment anyway.. all too unscrupulous for me!) that caused the decision to go with a company that had provided quality service in the past and I expected would provide quality service in the future.
    I was not disappointed. There is an exception that I have not called in for repair yet but other than that there are *no* exceptions. That is detailed in my original complaint.

mellis12 Feb 12, 2011

Added comment, interesting that the so-called customer of Vonage added:

"It could also just be that Vonage does not like you, as well. :)"

Why bring this to a personal, insulting level? That alone is suspicous. I attacked a company, not a person. This person who defends Vonage is an employee of the company. Why would Vonage not like me? Because I dared to complain about their illegal business practices?

mellis12 Feb 12, 2011

I called it a Ponzi scheme because Vonage gives their quality signal to newcomers and then switches to their bad signal for long term users.

That is my experience. One person has had a good experience so far, contradicting my awful experience. I'm wondering if others have had bad or good experiences.

MeLoveYouLongTime Feb 12, 2011

Dude your out to lunch.

I have had Vonage for over 3 years now and have not had a single problem.

If my quality is poor on a call or service is not working properly it is maybe because I am streaming video or downloading content from my PC at the same time and the QoS in my Router, not Vonage service box, is poor because it is like every other retail grade router out there.

You issue is likely a problem with your local point of presence for your ISP or something in your household internet equipment (or somewhere in the middle).

It could also just be that Vonage does not like you, as well. :)

• Ke
    Kert Dec 29, 2010

Be aware that Vonage is deceptive in its advertisement and service charges

We were told that the monthly charge for phone services was $25.99 for the unlimited calls, including domestic, long distance and international. So, we signed up in October 2017. We were also told that we must use a credit card for payments. So we gave our credit card number.

Since then, Vonage has charged $33.59 to our credit card. I was puzzled by this higher cost than the advertized $25.99. When I called Vonage, customer specialist explained that this monthly charge included taxes and fees. So, I requested for the breakdowns of taxes and fees in my monthly charge of $33.59. Unbelievably, I was told that Vonage does not provide billing statements. Furthermore, the customer specialist refused to provide any information regarding their surcharges and other fees. .

• Da
    daisy2002 Dec 28, 2010

Deceptive Ad and Secret Surcharges by Vonage

Be aware that Vonage is deceptive in its advertisement and service charges

The difference between the advertized price ($25.99) and the actual charge ($33.59) is $7.60, which supposedly includes taxes and fees. Because this amount seems too high, I did some calculations as follows:

Federal tax at 3%  0.03*25.59= $0.77
    Ohio state tax at 6.75 0 .0675*25.59= $1.73
    Thus, total taxes = 2.50
    If you subtract these taxes from $7.60, Vonage charges $5.10 for surcharges and other fees. With local phone company, I used to pay $1.46 monthly for surcharges and other fees. Thus, Vonage charges almost $4.00 more for surcharges and fees than my previous local phone company does.

To keep unfair (perhaps illegal) surcharges and other fees secret, I now realize that Vonage have used clever tactics such as charging to credit cards and no provision of monthly statements. By the way, is the refusal to provide information about surcharges and fees legal?

Paying $4 more for these unknown, secret fees is not big deal in our monthly budget, but I am appalled by Vonage’s dishonest and deceptive business practice. I am going to switch back to my previous local carrier

• Md
    mdasif Oct 11, 2010

I had vonage for 3 years (sice 2017) and had my device replaced in April '10 (the old one was not working). When i tried to cancel the service in oct 10, they charged me $90 for the device. The reason they gave me is if i have my device replaced i should retain their service for atleast one year to avoid the $90 fee. If i had known this i would have never got the device replaced. This company is totally ###. I had problem atleast once every couple of months making calls and on top of it they charge me for the device.
    I wish this company goes down the drain...

• Mr
    mrspaniel Sep 07, 2010

I hooked up with Vonage(same as Garbage) in June 2017. 39% taxes and fees are not disclosed. Modem has to be reset at least twice a week to function properly. My outgoing caller ID is incorrect and Vonage(same as Garbage)is unable or unwilling to do anything about it.
    The number of telemarketing calls has increased ten fold since signing up with Vonage(same as Garbage). Their only recourse was get on a do not call list-already am and have been on do not call list. DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! Vonage(same as Garbage)said, in so many words, after numerous calls and hours of hold time, you're screwed and there is nothing you can do about it! THIS COMPANY IS TOTAL GARBAGE!

• Gi
    gink_and_dorrie Aug 11, 2010

I have had a HORRIBLE experience with Vonage customer service. I have had an account with them for 11 months, and never signed an agreement for a year's term. When I called up to cancel my account as I am moving to another country, the customer service rep that I spoke with did everything in his power to get me to keep the service, and informed me that I would have to pay a cancellation fee of 24 pounds. When I got off the phone (service not yet cancelled) I felt manipulated and frustrated.

Two days later, I called again to cancel my service. This time, the rep that I spoke with was not as pushy, and agreed to cancel my service immediately (which is not what I had asked for). However she never mentioned the cancellation charge. When I asked her about it, she admitted that there would be a cancellation charge, at which point I told her that I was not willing to pay a cancellation charge when I had never signed up for a year's term, and that I would like to speak to her manager.

After 15 minutes of waiting on hold, I got through to a manager, who tried to tell me that I only had two options - cancel my service that minute, and pay the cancellation charge, or CALL BACK the day before one year of service. I tried to explain to him that these options were not acceptable to me - I wanted to be able to set the date of the cancellation in advance, and not have to call yet again. He continued to repeat the same script - these are your only two options. Eventually, I lost my patience and started yelling at him that it was unreasonable for them to tell me that I had to call back on a later date to cancel my service when I had already called twice. He finally agreed to put a note on the system to cancel my service on the date requested, but said that he could not guarantee that my service would actually be cancelled. This is insane.

I would advise avoiding Vonage based on their customer service alone! They are deceitful and find ways to wring money out of you that has nothing to do with the service they provide. (which to be perfectly honest, is only so-so. It's inexpensive but people on the other end of the line often have difficulty hearing and/or understanding you.)

• Up
    Upset Vonage Customer Aug 09, 2010

My phone adaptor stopped working on Thursday 8/5 around 1:00 PM and called Vonage customer support. I work from home office and my home security depends on the phone line. After being hours on my cell phone with Vonage CS and their supervisors, I was told that there was no alternative, but to wait to receive their adaptor, which would be shipped only the next day and would take 2 business days to get to me. The UPS tracking shows that I will be receiving the adaptor on 8/10. In this day and age, loosing 5 days of work and living 5 days with the home insecure, due to a service failure is simply unimaginable. To top this all, I receive mails from Vonage, that they have shipped the adaptor and that I am in another year of agreement with them to continue service; breach of which would incur penalties on my part.

STAY AWAY FROM SUCH INEFFICIENT CROOKS!

Mike of Stafford Jul 05, 2010

Vonage hit me for an increased annual subscription when I never asked for it, and for 10 % more than last years amount, without advising me or obtaining my permission.

Not only did they do that, but they manged to charge it to a date expired credit card.

Not stopping there, they perpetrated a fraud as I was on a call to them to change from an annual to a monthly subscription. They told me that they had charged an annual subscription the day before I called, which turned out to be a straight up lie, since they did it while I was talking to them about switching to a monthly subscription.

The credit card company later verified the date and time as being the time I was on the call.

I will be advising the FCC and I have already asked for a fraud investigation by my credit card company.

Mike W.

• Ze
    Zed350 Mar 19, 2010

Do you really need to keep the upgraded device? Not sure what the contract says but I doubt if it says you need to pay it if you cancel the service. Anyways a friend also had a problem canceling his Vonage account when he switched to Onesuite VoIP service.

I think big companies are desperate now not to lose customers but they're doing it wrong to keep them.

• Jb
    jbb3141 Mar 19, 2010

Do NOT use Vonage! I'd been a customer with them for 3 years and the service itself was decent but recently found a way to make money off my phone bill and others so I switched to a different provider. I called today to cancel and all was well until I had the following conversation with the the customer service agent:

CSR: "Oh, I see you upgraded equipment in November of last year. We'll have to charge you $86 for it."
    Me: "No, I don't want to keep it. Tell me where to ship it back."
    CSR: "I'm sorry, you can't ship it back. It's part of your contract and you have to keep it."
    Me: "Let me get this straight. I've been a customer for 3 years and you were going to cut my bill in half to stay but you won't let me send back this now useless equipment AND you're going to charge me $86 for it??"
    CSR: "Yes"
    Me: "Then I'm glad I'm canceling your service. I'll never use you again AND I'll make sure to spread the word on how you treat your 'loyal customers'."

Moments after hanging up I then get an email from Vonage saying, "We've successfully charged your credit card for $86..."

Wow, just wow. Pass the word along.

• Ej
    EJM2 Mar 07, 2010

After nearly a month of trying to become a customer, with tech support trying to make the Vonage technology work (tech support was awesome, by the way; it was the technology that wasn't working), I finally decided to cancel the service.

I figured I would get a full refund given that they never go the service working.

BUT, not only were they not going to get me a refund, they had the audacity to try and charge me cancellation fees -- for canceling a service they could not render! Blew me away.

So I turned to my two Visa Bank companies to dispute the original charges. I took care of one, and had them reissue a new credit card with a new number.

When I talked to the second Visa bank, they wanted to confirm that each of the charge lines represented a separate phone line charge, and that they never got any of them working. I confirmed that. And then they wanted to confirm that they were unwilling to give me my money back, and were trying to charge me more money. I confirmed that too.

The bank customer service rep put me on hold to discuss the matter with their manager, then came back and said that this wasn't a simple dispute / charge back. That this was systemic fraud, and they would have to look into this more deeply.

Fraud. Wow. You know, they were right. I never thought of it that way.

So, that inspired me to by the VonageFraud.com domain name, and to start chronicling the events of my account with Vonage.

So go to www.VonageFraud.com. And, be careful about your decision to go with Vonage. If things don't work out, you could be in trouble.

• Te
    terclou Feb 15, 2010

I done thorough research on the area i live in when i decided to bundled internet and phone services. The cheapest was gonna be through Vonage. You must have High speed internet to have vonage. I did not at the time. I call customer service, they advised me the only HS internet in my area would be comcast. They transfered me to that dept. I had to wait for my account to be updated through comcast in order to have a phone. I was advised it could take 24-48 hours. No problem i understand. I continued to call (using a phone at work) and my account wasnt updated. After 3 weeks of spending an hour on the phone each time i called customer service i gave up. I got a cell phone and Broadband HS internet through us cellular, which i love. The winter months are here, i drive an hour to work thorugh the blue ridge mountains. I did not have time to continue to wait. I viewed my debit card transactions and seen vonage had taken out over $65. i called to let them know that i had not used the services. They had me to call back. So on my call back, i explained the issue. There was a 1yr contract and wants to charge $100 to cancel and will not refund any money due to the fact i didnt call within thirty days and they had been sending me emails. Well, um like i didnt have the internet. I feel as a courtesy the company should at least waive the cancellation fee. I advised they were not authorized to take out the cancellation fee. Because of this i have to go through my debit card company to advised my card has been comprimised. On the call they advised me that it didnt matter what internet i had, that i could just hook up the equipment and use the phone. thats not what the vonage represenatives told me. It is bad for business and now if i ever did go with a home phone or know anyone looking for services i will not advise them to use vonage.

• Ga
    gascione Feb 01, 2010

After almost 4 years of spotty and poor service we finally switched to our cable provider for phone service. I never paid a bill late for Vonage and was fully paid up for January when I terminated the account with them in the beginning of the month. I was informed on the phone by an operator that I was going to be charged $85.00 for "early" termination fee. What is early about nearly four years? I insisted on the phone that they were "NOT Authorized" to charge my credit card however they did it anyway, immediately. I filed a dispute with Visa but Vonage simply told them that the charge was legitimate and they accepted it. No documentation or contract. They simply stole $85 from me.

• Tv
    Tvitto Dec 09, 2009

Vonage service was spotty with frequent dropped calls and breaks in the calls while I had it, but when I tried to cancel it after switching to Verizon Fios, the phone representative assured me that my account would be canceled and my last month's bill waived. On New Years Eve, I awakened to an email telling me of a successful charge against my account. When I called back, a curt representative informed me that my account was still active and required that I call back to talk to an account manager. Vonage gets a D for service and an F for difficulty to cancel.

Mikel M Nov 13, 2009

Whaaa whaaa whaaa, I've never had one problem w/Vonage and they told me exactly how much it would be to call out of Country. You don't think Comcast has a disconect fee? Try again. It's standard. Vonage is still the best for the money.

• Sr
    Sreeni Nov 13, 2009

Vonage telephone service with Unlimited tp 60 countries is fraud statement and they are cheating customers after signup. Their customer service is rude and irrational. They are bouncing back syaing it is only 5000min outgoing total which stated in x.x cluse which is insane. I immediatly discontinued as I came to know that they are cheating and they chrged me discontinue fee.

Basically Vonage unlimited is a fraud and cheating statement

Please help any customers who would like to know about phone service before they sign up.

Vonage is cheating cheating cheating cheating cheating cheating customers
    Vonage is doing bussiness with Fraud Fraud Fraud Fraud Fraud Fraud Fraud commitments and ads every where.

• Og
    Ograll Oct 14, 2009

We have had telephone service with Vonage for over a year. In February we sign a one year contract with them for $249. About a month later people we were talking to reported to us that they could not understand us. I called Vonage and they said it was our broadband provider signal. I called the broadband company and they had me hook their moden directly to the computer. The signal was fine. I called Vonage back and they had me try one thing after another. This went on nearly dailly for more than three weeks. Occassionally the line was good, but most of the time it was not usable. Finally I told them that I could not go without a dependable phone any longer and changed service to a different company.

I then called and asked for a refund of the nine months thatwe did not use on our year's contract--$186.75. They have refused saying that it was a contract. I claim they did not fulfill their side of the contract by providing me with dependable phone service and they claim I signed a contract and they were working to fix the problem so they owe me nothing. I have talked to two agents, emailed and talked two supervisors and they all have refused to make this right.

I am waiting now on the phone for another supervisor and have been on the phone for the last hour and half trying to get this straightened out. She has just repeated the party line that because of the contract they can not refund the money.

I would appreciate any help you can give on this. I think it is a total rip off when they don't provide the service they promise and still keep my money.

Mickelanjo Oct 12, 2009

The service was not good and I could not rely on my phone. I tried, with enormous effort (due to the time consuming process of contacting them) to solve the problem through their Technical Department. Twice they promised that the problem was solved but the service did not improve.

I decided to ask for cancellation and a refund. They terminated my service without giving me time to have another phone service, thus taking away from me a basic critical service as a phone line ( specially in a household like mine wit three minors). They did not inform me either that they would not refund me for the useless equipment I had bought, that they would charge me for the whole month even though this incident took place on the first day of the billing cycle, and without telling me that they would charge my credit card additional $ 40.00 for cancelling the service.

I also lost my phone number that I had since I moved to Florida with the problems that carries and the damaging image that a message that says ' This phone number is not in service anymore' causes. ( They not only did not make any attempt to give me back my number but they also refused to place a more proper message indicating my new, forced, phone number).

I went to Small Claims but Vonage does not have a Registered Agent in Florida, thus I cannot serve them.
    What means of protection do we, consumers, have in a case like this.

• Sh
    Shterlez Oct 12, 2009

I recently purchased Vonage VoIP on March 16th 2017. I was told by their 'Customer Service Reps' that my number would be transfered from my 'Cricket Wireless Provider' to my Vonage account.

I waited the 14 business days and called them. They told me it could take up to 20 business days, so I waited. I called back on the 20th business day and was told it would be taken care of in the next 48 business hours.

I called back on the 25th business day. This is where the rudeness began. It was hard enough to understand the person talking to me, because their English was so poor.

After 30 business days my cell phone provider 'Cricket Wireless' wanted their $50. My phone number should have been transfered 15 days before hand, so I call their Customer Serives. Their customer service was very poor, even when I could understand them.

My wife called them next and she is a 'Customer Service Rep' for SAFECO. They lied to her about giving us credit, and said derogatory things, promised their manager/supervisor would call us several times which they did not.

This has been on of the most grueling and upleasant experiences I have ever had with a customer serivce call center that is suppose to be the problem solvers for Vonage.

• U2
    U2 Oct 12, 2009

On May 30th, 2017; I received a Vonage promotional flyer in the mail and signed up for their 6 month 19.99 plan. On May 31st, 2017, I found my account debited $101.96 for services not received at all and a far cry from the $total amount quoted to me during sign-up of $45.00 total for the service with (2) lines. After (6) phone calls to India and then being scolded about my domineer, language, and attitude, I was hung up on when asking for a supervisor. I finally got a supervisor after trying hard to be nice. Now talking to someone 'American' and in the United States, I was able to plead my case with extreme prejudice and issue a cancellation of all services and transfers even after I was told my card was not charged at all, yet I have email documentation, bank documentation and confirmation numbers from my bank stating they 'DID in fact' charge the account $101. 96. Still with no service at all, no devices, and a really pist off attitude now, I have informed the Vonage company that I will write every news outlet possible, contact the FBI, BBB, Federal Trade Commission, and I will fly to New Jersey to pay a visit to the company to see if they are actually real. Over all, this company has some very bad business and accounting practices and loves to tap dance around a great number of issues before fixing the problem. As you can see, I haven't even been a customer for '22 hours yet' and I am already cancelling and 'VERY ANGRY!'

• Fr
    Freddy Oct 11, 2009

I tried to cancel my Vonage after 6months of terrible service. First they wouldn't listen to me and kept trying to talk me into staying. Then, they btried telling me the new company we were switching to would not be good after a year. Then, they said I didn't have to send back my Device it wasn't any good to them anymore. When another rep said yes send it back and we will not charge you $49.00 for it. But they would need a tracking number. So we shipped it back USPS with delivery confirmation and I sent them the tracking number. When we finally got our new service then Vonage was blocking calls from any friends that had Vonage also. So we couldn't receive phone calls from other people we know that have Vonage as a phone company. THen. they wanted to charge me a disconnect fee because they said I was cancelling before my two year term even though the service was never clear. And the another Rep said I was going to be charged a disconnect fee because cancelling before 1 year. As of two weeks later Voange has not released the phone number so friend and family can call us... And they have the tracking number. Plus, now they have added a charge when by Jan 10-2017 We tried to stop using Vonage. They stillhaven't let us go...

Joesama Oct 05, 2009

I used Vonage for 3 yrs and paid each year in advance. When I tried to cancel my account and get a refund for the unused months, this is the email that I got:
    From: Gail Ransom-Brown <[email protected]>
    Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2017 09:35:34 -0400
    To: XXXX
    Subject: Response to Your Recent Communication - Account #1002593

Dear XXX,

This email is in response to your request for refund of the Annual Residential Premium Unlimited Plan.

Your Annual Residential Premium Unlimited Plan renewed on April 3, 2017 and you cancelled your account September 10th due to changing to a bundled package with another carrier. Customers have 45 days from the renewal date to request refund of the renewal charges, therefore I cannot justify honoring your request.

Thank you & Have a Good Day!

Gail Brown, Customer Care
    Billing Dispute Department

• Iv
    Ivonna Aug 01, 2009

My husband decided to have Vonage installed at our home, hoping to save money. They told us we could keep our number and that it would be transferred within a couple of days. We called after a couple of days to find out about the number and they said they were having problems with the transfer and that it would take longer than expected. At that point, my husband said just forget it and cancelled the service request. We already had their equipment and returned it after a phone call to get the address for the return. That was on a Thursday. The following Saturday my daughter called and said our phone was not working. It turns out that Vonage went ahead with the number transfer and closed out our account with Time Warner which left us with no phone service (because we had already returned their equipment). When we called to find out why they didn't cancel the service as we requested prior to the number transfer, they basically called us liars and said that we had never stopped the service. There is a lot more to this story regarding bad customer service and rude behavior. Also, we now have to wait two-weeks to get our service back with TimeWarner (which was never supposed to have been stopped). I Suppose we'll be lucky if we ever see the cost of the equipment credited back to our charge card. Oh well, live and learn. Never use Vonage because that business is going right down the tubes anyway and probably won't be around for another year. Read about it on the internet.

• Ad
    Adam Jul 30, 2009

Signed up for Vonage returned first and second equipment that did not work within the 60 day trial period, they refused to give me a refund instead sent me to collections with a $142 bill, they claimed they never got both equipments almost a year later even though i have post office receipts that shows i sent them back priority mail to their warehouse. Spoke to over a dozen reps/managers to no avail. Instead of a refund i have a collections bill?