Having problems with UpWork Global?

441 Logue Ave., № 150

• 224 N. DesPlaines St., Suite 400, Chicago IL 60661

European Office
Tordenskiolds gate 3, 0160 Oslo, Norway

Complaints & Reviews

UpWorkAvoid this site at any cost!

This website looks professional and polished, but later you realize that UpWork is absolutely horrible. This site do not appreciate their freelancers and they will make you feel horrible, even though they get their money from freelancers. Their ranking system is extremely ridiculous and it punishes freelancers if the client doesn't leave feedback's! If you make any mistakes, you will never get Job Success scores. And once you are below 90% you will never get a job again. Their system always crashes and the message system breaks down almost every day! So if you miss a job offer, you will also be punished. Avoid this site at any cost!

• Go
      gopi farhan Dec 19, 2017

They are fraud, same is happen to me also. They only motivating monthly subscription user. please join with me we will raise legal notification against them.

UpworkptrDo not refund the money

They have not refund our $1, 000 back to us for 10 days now. Every time, we call they give us a date for the refund with not money back in our account. They blatantly lie to you on the phone over and over again. They are scan artists. They want to keep the money. They are crooks...WE WILL NOT WORK WITH THEM EVER AGAIN!!

Elance.comLogin Expired with no reason

I friend of mine recommended me Elance.com and I tried to use it. I was trying to authenticate my credit card, I was charged to authenticate it and now I can't even log in at Elance.com. I always receive the same message saying: "Your Elance account is expired". I made 3 requests at Elance Customer Support and didn't receive any contact from them. I tried to call them and they said they don't know what happened and they will return my contact in 48 hours. That's really a problem because I am about to loose a job opportunity because my boos was willing to pay me by Elance and now my account is expired!!!? That's seems to be scam, All my requests are ignored and you CHARGED my credit card. That's a shame.

Elance.comnon payment

My client recently sent me my weekly payment through elance. So, like the usual, I went ahead and made a withdrawal. Now ive been monitoring my request for funds transfer which didnt happen and so on the 2nd day I sent them a followup. I was told that I would have to wait for 24 hours so I did. Now its been more than 24 hours and still no transfer. My balance shows that its available but when I click withdraw, my account shows that I have zero balance! Why?!! Where did my hard earned money go? Its just not fair for them to keep my money and make me wait! The process takes too much time and I needed the money for tuition fee! U guys dont know how to keep ur word!!!

ODESKPayment Reversed

Hello Sir, My name is janki Joshi and I am working on Odesk Platform,

I was working on an Hourly project and There is Someone Ms. Elle in Odesk risk Management team who not only suspended my account, But also has reversed payment to client of 1 Month. Now client wants to pay me but wants to paay via odesk.

Ms. Elle is not replying to my complaint as she has marked it closed. Odesk mentions Hourly meter work is always secured yet payments have been reversed, This is Bad On part Of Odesk.

I would Like you to take this matter Up and Revert me back for anything. I am looking forward of escalating this matter Up seriously that what right Ms. Elle has to reverse back the payments. Why will people work with Odesk whereas Other portals Like freelancer Never do such type of things.

The client never complained, It was Only Ms. Elle, who has suspended my account and also reversed payments. This way Odesk is a bad source of working.

Please Upload My verdict and Voice to Top Officals Of company

Thanks

Janki Joshi

Email ID : [protected]@gmail.com

• Ks
              Ksedo Nov 15, 2014

I agree with this, Ms Elle suspended my account and never provided me any reasons. I contacted her via ticket but never responded. Also, I can't even withdraw any funds available and they never told me what they will do with my earnings.

jaka1 Nov 30, 2014

Mrs Elleh, en odesk review team has suspended my account, with all my earnings from It, without any further communication. I wonder if this is another form of people discrimination or it is just violation of rights. Feeling frustrated and disappointed.

• Re
              Rexus351 Dec 13, 2014

I am also suspended by this Elle H from odesk. She responds very slow it's been 30 days of replying to the ticket but still my account is on suspension.. I also have 200$ on my account

• El
              E.luna Dec 15, 2014

10th of Dec, 2014 Unfortunately I am also suspended by this Elle H from odesk Risk Management Team.
              I had been worked 660 hours on odesk and kept odesk's policy so far.
              I cannot know why did my account suspended and I am feeling frustrated and disappointed.

• Bh
              Bhushan Bharat Feb 02, 2015

On 27 Jan 2015, I suddenly got my Account Suspension message due to "violation of oDesk policy" via Mrs Elleh. She is in oDesk Risk Management Department. She replied me three times via oDesk ticket, but every time reasons was different for the Account Suspension. I didn't done anything against the oDesk policies.She did not gave me exact reason that lead my account to suspension. According to my view Mrs Elleh should be banded as she playing with the future life of many oDeskers without any reason like me. ITS MY HUMBLE REQUEST TO THE oDesk CEO please retired Mrs Elleh from oDesk.

• Ki
              Kirti Avaiya Feb 05, 2015

Hi all,
              I am also suffering from this issue, odesk suddenly suspended my account and support staff is really unprofessional in all the way, they are not able to give any proof and still they are saying your account can not be reopened? I did not do any vilotaion for policy or etc .

odesksux Apr 20, 2015

Hi, folks, I suggest people of the same area should gather together regularly to work out ways to fight with odesk. we should be united.

• Mj
              MjCan Jul 29, 2018

Horrible customer service.. every time the same answer as if robot is replying.

They suspended my account by saying my work was below average as compared to others. While I had 4.8 ratings out of 5. Unable to understand how can 4.8 be below average. Every time I ask them reason they have no answer.

Can anyone help what should I do?

ODESKODesk is forcefully Grabbing my Hard Earned Money

Hello .. I am Ashish Tiwari from India. A web developer and freelancer. I have been working on a freelancing company called ODesk basesd in California, USA. I worked hard for many years for making my reputation so I can get work. At last I got ripped of by this fraud company called odesk. Heres what happened with me.
            I worked with a client named Jason Phegley for more than a year, but analysed at last that this client is not good.. He was taking my work at very cheap cost and delaying my payments for months. I worked on a project in which I had to clone a website and we decided that budget is 300$. I finished my tasks exactly and it was an hourly contract so I logged my hours in ODesk time tracker.. The job was ended successfully on jan 25, 2014 and the client wrote me a 5 star feedback. Now I was working on other projects and I was quite busy. Now this client started mailing me about getting some work done on a site, and I wonder he was asking me to fix issues with no money or charges .. he wanted me to work for free just because I work with him for long time. I was not available for a second and I told him right away that I am not available and can only work when I am available . He started getting frustrated and forcing me to work with him. I refused and said right away I cant work anymore, so out of frustration he told me he will mess up with my ODesk account.

As ODesk system is totally biased and they only listen to client lies and doesnt care for the workers from whom they take their commission that is 10% of totally hard earned money. This client contacted ODesk after 2 months when Job was already done and I recieved a 5 star and you will wonder what comments he wrote in that job.. I am pasting the feedback he wrote me

" He is a true artist and master of his craft. Flying through lines of code like a wizard. Solving problems like Einstein. All with the patience of a Zen Master. He gets the job done every single time, and with the efficiency of a fast food chain. Amazing. Simply amazing. "

Still client complaint on same job and ODesk started torturing me .. They suspend the account without any notification and the money you have earned which is their still and I need to withdraw can not be taken away .. so they grab your money and your profile. I started trying to contact them and they started ignoring me for weeks. I told them that he is telling you lies and his accusations are baseless .. The client told them "The worker is unresponsive".. Anyone please tell me when I am not having any work with him how can I become unresponsive? And if hes talking about that ended job Why he will rate me 5 star and write such comments if I was unresponsive..

On base of this fake complaint after 3 month ODesk is asking me to send him 100$ otherwise they will seize my account forever and I will loose money for my other work which is stuck there and I will be in total loss. my hard earned money is taken away by these fraud ###...

Their own term and condition specify that client can not file any dispute when the work review time is over and the review time is 4-5 days since job is closed .. it can be found at https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/ on point 4 where they clearly mention that.
            And they are ripping me off after 3 months since the job is ended and they are also forcing me to close my account on ODesk .. My profile is awsome and I am a very professional and hard worker and I wasted 4-5 years to reach in this state of reputation. My profile can be found at https://www.odesk.com/users/~013a95aa2a30930143

Since I am not based in USA, I am stuck now and feeling helpless .. I want to file a case against them in court and want them to get ripped of too.. Anyone who uses ODesk please BEWARE.. THEY ARE THE MOST FRAUD COMPANY IN USA and they are making workers fool internationally. They will forcefully grab thousands of your hard earned money and become happy. this is the way they run their company .. I want to file case for mental harassment and violating my rights and sue them in court but I am helpless since I am in INDIA. Anyone want to help, please suggest me or help me getting over with these goons.

Sincere Regards
            Ashish Tiwari

ODESKKeep out, odesk is completely non-transparent

I am working at odesk as a coder for more than a year. I was frustrated by the fact that my financial account was suspended. I have an active contract at the moment, no disputes or anything similar. I was asking them for a specific reason, but support (they probably don't even have an office :) just a home-people) simply told me twice about some misterious "many negative details" on my account.
              This suspension happened without any notice and violates Odesk's 2.10 TOS, where we can see following:
              "Without limiting oDesk's other remedies, we may suspend or terminate your account, use self-help in connection with our rights to reclaim any available funds, and refuse to provide any further access to the oDesk Platform to you if (a) you breach any terms and conditions of this Agreement or other written policies and procedures posted on the Site; (b) we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us; or (c) we believe that your actions may cause legal liability for you, our Users or for oDesk."
              So here we are - world-class companies breaking their own rules. What's next?

ODESKFraudster in oDesk

Beware of the client called Angela Love (Cairo, Egypt) with oDesk ID 710750. I was new and she tricked me by giving job in the message window (it should have shown up in "My Jobs") and didn't make any payment for it even after asking her to do so. She never replied. I spent nearly 4 hours on that job. For all that hard work I got nothing. I had Live Help Chat with oDesk about it and they were very sorry about that, that’s it. They pointed out that I should have checked “My Jobs” first (very helpful indeed). In oDesk discussions, they would not publish the client’s name on their page and instead they will put **removed by admin** What’s the point of complaining then? I’d rather talk to the walls (may be I did that).

Upworkptr.comScam and fake

I have reached the minimum payout of upworkptr.com few months ago which is $20, 000. I've got a total of $24, 000 on my total earnings page. I was so excited thinking I hit a jackpot considering this huge and easy money over the net. So I immediately went to the request payout link. To my dismay, it gave me a message that I have not yet reached the minimum payout limit of $42, 750.0000 for standard members. I contacted support (no live chat nor forums available) which only replies through email. I was then told to wait for 30 days so I waited for 30 days. I did the same step 30 days after and there it goes again, I still have not reached the minimum pay-out (I already have $54, 000 total earnings). I started to think my suspicion might be true, this website may be a scam. To give them benefit of the doubt I emailed support for the 4 time, asking why I still can't request for payout when in fact I'm over the payout limit for standard members and had passed the wait time (according to them which is not on their terms of service.) I got the same reply, I HAVE TO WAIT FOR ANOTHER 30 DAYS TO REQUEST PAY-OUT and INSISTED THAT I UPGRADE MY ACCOUNT. So I responded that I'm through with the waiting time, and never would I upgrade my account without getting the payment first. I have not heard anything again from them since...

Earnings

11/09/2012 14:13 Sign-up Bonus 300.00000

Points

• Da
                      Dawid Jacobus Pieterse Mar 20, 2015

I have also earned $214, 000 without any payouts, after 100's of e-mails and 95% no reply's . A waste of time and money. DJ Pieterse e-mail: dawie.[protected]@gmail.com.

ODESK — FINANCIAL SUSPENSION

Odesk sucks.. they suspend your financial account with no grounds at all. And their customer service can not...

ODESKFinancial Account has been suspended PERMANENTLY

I'm a new user of odesk . Recently I've got a job . It was a hourly job the contractor has a verified payment meythod, he posted a job named template design . In this job there was 75 applicants . I applied for this job and got reply from that contractor . He invited me for his job . He send his skype ID . I've contcted through my skype ID .
                    I've work for 1 week . 28 february when I open odesk team application there was a mistake . Instantly I contact with odesk live chat . They told contracts account on hold .Since then they have suspended my financial account without notification . About 10 time i contact odesk live chat but there is no improve in my account . Unfortunately 7 mar they've permanently suspended my account when there was $1120 earnings in my account.

Financial Account has been suspended  PERMANENTLY

• En
                        Enamul Kabir Mar 06, 2013

It happen in odesk because they are fraud

• Re
                        Rexus351 May 25, 2013

I agree odesk is a fraud.. I am also experiencing this kind of issue

• Ba
                        bahar9 Jul 10, 2013

oDesk is just a scam site .They will scam when they will see you have more than $1000 in your account . They stole my all money. It was about $2760

• Ru
                        rubelhossen Aug 13, 2013

Hi,
                        I have same problem from few days. Still your account is suspend ? Please let me know,

• Ar
                        arcko Aug 23, 2013

same issue here, $1, 354 in account been suspended.
                        they ask me to make some of my existing long term contracts complete successfully. but after I close two of them with my clients, they have no response any more.
                        Shame odesk

chmiiller Aug 29, 2013

OMG guys you scaring me.
                        I'm working with oDesk for 1 month and have some earnings to receive. I already received some, with no problems, but now I got the "Financial Account Suspended" message.
                        What is it about? oDesk is a real fraud? How do I proceed? What a bad news Enamul Kabir
                        =/
                        Good Luck for us

• Su
                        Subro Gain Dec 18, 2013

Few days ago, also my odesk account has been suspended with lots of money. I have contact they told me that it's handle higher authority. I want to know about my suspend reason. But they can't anything. Just permanent suspend. so what should step we do ???
                        Really they are cheap and big cheater.
                        S. Gain

• Dj
                        DJS.Bplan Nov 22, 2014

I do not recommend it for anyone trying to get real work finished on a timeline. I have no confidence in Odesk and unfortunately ELance now that they have merged. The freelancers were great - the Odesk support staff was a nightmare.

Odesk decided my company doesn’t need to operate and they threw my money away without consulting me first.

I had three 24-hr projects in process, two additional projects had just been paid and two more 24-hr contracts starting when they suspended all jobs because one of the freelancers linked to my account. (Whatever that means – no one will explain it)

It has been two days with no updates from support. All jobs in process are now uselessly late and they will not release payments even after spending six hours trying to solve this.

I apparently have to find some other way to pay the freelancers even though I funded all projects up front. It is not fair to the freelancers to go unpaid even though the work is useless now. It is crazy that you pre-fund all of the projects but you have no control over the money once it leaves your account.

Their excuse always is another department must resolve the case, no timelines, no explanations, no feedback. But of course - they say "we are sorry for your inconvenience..." While they park all of our money in an account and draw interest on it.

If you are ok with risking your job deadlines, loosing time and money in training and watching people not get paid then take the gamble.

sabamalik Feb 18, 2015

Hi, ,
                        I have same problem from few days. Still my account is suspend ? Please let me know what can i do now, and how much time it takes ?

Thanks,
                        Saba malik

Elance.comStay very far away if you want to be paid

It looks great when you first try your hand at finding work here. But let me tell you, after getting my first job via this service, I quickly discovered how easy it is for people to scam you from this site. I spent many hours working on something for a client, and, due to the nature of the job, the little "guaranteed payment if you use this tool!" wasn't something I could use. Since I couldn't use it (again, due to the nature of the job), when the client refused to pay for my hard, perfect work, when I turned to eLance to help get paid, they result of the dispute was not in my favour.

Stay very far away if you want to be paid. The scams are very easy to fall into. And while you're bidding on these jobs, you're being undercut by overseas people who can afford to undercut you to below what minimum wage per hour would be.

Elance.comBreach of Privacy

Elance abuses Privacy! I have just been informed by a 3rd party that elance released my transaction history to the said 3rd party! This 3rd party is not a registered user of elance, there was no subpoena, no warrant and no request from any law enforcement agency but this 3rd party was able to send several well crated emails to elance inquiring about my account, acting as a 3rd party (not acting as me) and was able to get access to my transactional history!

Be warned of elance they do NOT protect your privacy.

Upworkptr — Send me my money

I reach at the minimum earn position and requested to usd 20000. 00 but they not reply till now my id [protected]@upworkptr. Cpm

Upworkptr.com — Upworkptr.com a scam

Guys run for your dear dime, upworkptr is a scam. You accumulate a lot of money within a few days but you...

Upworkptr.com — Stay away from these crooks

ODESK — ILLEGAL SUSPENSION OF ACCOUNT

Good day Well i know why i get suspended ... but its only a mistake forum post .. i accidentally used my wife...

ODESKviolation of privacy of odesk

I have been a trustworthy provider who has some reputation among odesk community but odesk suspended my profile, account, job applications, job offers and contracts in order to force me to provide privacy including date birth, photo, address proof etc. They simply cut off my income.

I feel this crossed the line. Provider should also have certain privacy. I asked around, but other buyers and providers did not have to provide such information!

Odesk also suspended my access to forums, so that they can cover this issue! Because I submitted many tickets to customer support, odesk even blocked me from their customer support! Later they permanently suspended my account.

Long time ago before this incident, my profile was secretly hidden by odesk from search, and I did not know this until someday a buyer told me he could not find me! And it happened a few times!

I have heard a lot of cases that buyers were scammed by providers at odesk, but odesk did nothing to help. I was honest and reliable and I never scammed anyone, but my account was suspended! This is very unfair! Maybe because odesk feel they cannot earn a lot from my working, so they just throw me out??

I am finding a good lawyer regarding this issue and welcome anyone else to join in.

• Fm
                              fmalapit Dec 11, 2010

Odesk is very bias ...

my account has been suspended too

i can be a witness if you want

OdeskProviderVictim Jun 23, 2011

I have been working in ODESK for two years. I had the unfortunate mishap of complaining to their customer service and their Odesk Marketplace of my recent buyer (also known as my employer) and some of my co-workers making fun of my ethnicity and my being a disabled person other than having a hairlip.

If I could draw your attention to their ODESK Marketplace regulations, it bespeaks of two things: GUARANTEED PROTECTION from work and harassment of any form.

When I complained about the buyer's behavior, what happened was that Customer Service referred my case to their Marketplace and I was asked to submit my evidences from pictures (JPEG/PNG) to chat transcripts of any form if available. I have done all of that.

While awaiting the result of the investigation, WITHOUT WARNING, ODESK SUDDENLY PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT.

I was the victim and the complaining party and this is what they do to complainants.

This horrible story just tells you that ODESK is BIASED if you will complain about American Employers and Filipino Co-Workers. I am a Malasian Christian working from home because of my condition but this does not mean I am not useful nor am I a dependent.

ODESK TOLD ME THAT MY SUSPENSION WAS PERMANENT AND I CANNOT ANYMORE COMPLAIN AND THEY WOULD NOT RESPOND TO MY EMAILS ANYMORE.

They claim to have warned me but there was absolutely none and now my account has been permanently suspended and according to their email, it is their prerogative not to reply inspite of the fact that I have a pending complaint lodged against my buyer.

BEWARE! IF YOU ARE A DISABLED PERSON, NOT AN INDIAN, NOT A FILIPINO, THEN PLEASE DO NOT APPLY AT ODESK.

I HAVE LEARNED THAT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE MOSTLY FILIPINOS BUT THE WAY THEY SPEAK (NOTWITHSTANDING THE POOR GRAMMAR) COMES WITH A RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION OF SORTS AND IT IS AS IF THEY ARE AMERICANS AS WELL TOTALLY FORGETTING THEIR BEAUTIFUL CULTURE.

A very sad situation that ODESK refuses to rectify.

-ODESK PROVIDER VICTIM-

• Ra
                              raquelmorrison Jul 02, 2011

odesk sucks!!! they suspended my account without any valid reason! one of my employer set a fixed contract for me but i end up ending the contract seeing this employer that i work onto this projects got a load of works to be done where its out for the interview that we had and then he report me to odesk team about not completing the projects well who the hell would like to continue this kind of work where your employer pay you next to nothing!! beware of this employer name " Edward Sayers" hes such a money sucker!! he didnt even pay me any single cents for that worked that i have done! dont trust to any "fixed priced work" odeskers seems to be unfair they both sucks!!

ODESKCredit Card Fraud

I have been scammed by oDesk resource. Be very careful while hiring any resource on oDesk (virtual assistant, blog poster, programmer - anything). I had hired this person in November 2009 but didn't give him in assignment (his allowed working hours specifically said "0"). Yet he went in and started charging for work of which there is NO RECORD WHATSOEVER (he claims he worked offline - but nothing in their Online Diary). This service provider, who goes by "PaulSystems" or "Tonmoy Paul" from Bangladesh, started charging over $600 hours per week from end of December. He charged over $3000 on my account since December claiming that he and his team did work for me. As I was away for a month I didn't get to check my bills or invoice during this period. Once I got this information, I reported to oDesk and so far I have 0 response from them. I am thinking of suing oDesk or flush this in the media so that the people using oDesk become wary and careful about this kind of issue with oDesk. Once again, this should be BIG WARNING for anyone wanting to deal with people through oDesk.

• vWorker Mar 19, 2010

Hi, this is Nicole from Rent a Coder.

I empathize with the unfortunate experience you've encountered. One of the unfortunate facts about this type of problem is that oDesk arbitration is limited to before the buyer releases escrow (3 days after the timecard completes). After the money is gone, you can no longer exercise arbitration. This is what makes choosing a safe service extremely important.

I recommend in the future, not to set up a recurring timecard if you know you will be out of the office. Set a limit on the weekly amount instead, so that if you forget, your losses are limited.

Why not give Rentacoder a try? At Rentacoder, we protect your money with free escrowing so your money isn't given to a worker until the work is complete and satisfactory. We additionally allow you to verify the time worked on a project with an 'in and out' real-time card application. This application records the worker's desktop and webcam so that you can witness your project's development.

We also offer full arbitration on all projects free of charge.

You can compare the 7 major services through this link to learn even more: http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/DotNet/misc/CompetitorInformation/WhyRentACoder_ForBuyers.aspx

If you have any questions, please let me know. You can also call in to talk to a facilitator 7 days a week, or email us (see http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/Feedback.asp).

Nicole
                                www.rentacoder.com

odesk_provider Aug 31, 2010

• Us
                                usnswcc11 Mar 11, 2011

I hired Omar Edwards from Shabz Design to make 2 pages on my Facebook for $20 and 100 fans on facebook for $4 ($0.04/fan). This was one of my first posts on oDesk so I made this an hourly job instead of fixed because I figured I would get quoted an amount of hours which I can then make a milestone for these certain hours. We agreed on $24 and spoke back and forth on oDesk and skype. He finally messaged me on Odesk on March 3 stating he has completed the job. I reviewed and had a few changes which he complete quickly. So I went into payments to make a milestone and I submitted a $24 bonus on accident instead of closing the job and submitting $24 for this fixed job. He did not mention anything about the hours, and I failed to change this to a fixed job. So I contacted support through live help and told them I made a payment but it is not being released. Here is the conversation which was fairly short since I was on my iPhone:
                                Allan: Hello, Alex D. Can I help you with anything today?
                                Alex D: ID [protected]
                                Allan: hi is that a contract id? please hold as I check that on your account
                                Alex D: I hired as hourly but I paid worker as fixed price.
                                Alex D: But it says I paid as bonus
                                Allan: I see - I'll check your payments as well.
                                Alex D: And it will not release
                                Allan: yes when you pay a fixed price it is usually called a bonus payment
                                Allan: oh ok
                                Alex D: And I already ended and we left feedback for eachother
                                Allan: is that the $24 payment?
                                Alex D: Please release payment
                                Allan: yes sure I will go ahead and ask finance to charge your card
                                Allan: one moment pls
                                Allan: glad to report that your card was charged successfully
                                Allan: thanks for contacting oDesk today!

After the payment was released, I felt comfortable telling the agent that my job was complete and I wanted to release payment. Keep in mind I work 15 hours a day, and I use oDesk as support to get my work done and depend on oDesk agents to help or catch mistakes if I speak with them. That is what sets apart good customer support from horrible support. So thinking everything was ok, I left very good feedback. After I received the 100 fans from Omar Edwards, I turned on my own Facebook fan account from an external website. This website is where people with fanpages can exchange fans/likes. You can gain anywhere from 30-100 fans in one single day. They just constantly stream in as long as you have enough credits in your account which I had plenty. I had paused it so I can see if Omar's (Shabz Design) fan technique really worked and it did. I received about 120 fans and it slowed down so I un-paused my own fan account to begin exchanging fans on my own and went up another 300 fans in approximately 3 days. So I decided to ask Shabz Design to give me another 400 fans at $0.04/fan and he said I already owed him for 300 fans. He saw my facebook fanpage and claimed it was him that got me 300 more fans and I should pay what I owe. I told Omar Edwards we agreed on 100 fans and that is what I paid you. He disagreed so I took screenshots of my account and showed him 5 pages of fanpage likes that I have received on my facebook fan exchange account on an external site. I have proof of building my own fan base and showed him but he suggested that it was him as if he is the only one who knows how to obtain facebook fans. I used him for additional fans because I like to use different methods of obtaining fanpage likes. After I told him I will not pay him for work I did myself and work that we did not agree on, he told me his charge for fans is $0.12/fan instead of $0.04/fan. He said he will not charge me the same price as before so I told him I will no longer need his service.

After we spoke I begain other work and did not pay much attention to oDesk because I had to attend to other very important matters in my business NOT knowing that the job was still open and the $24 I had paid him was still considered a bonus and not as a final payment. Approximately 8 days later I receive notice from oDesk that I was charged for $35.55! So I logged in to see why this was charged to my account and noticed Omar Edwards from Shabz Design summed up $0.12 x 300 fans = $36 so he logged on oDesk and logged 5.33 hours @ $6.67/hr which = $35.55! Very clever way of taking advantage of someone who just began using oDesk and made an honest mistake of paying him the wrong way. He saw that I was inexperienced with oOesk and deliberately logged on to oDesk to log hours which we never agreed upon. I take this no other way then theft. If you leave your wallet on a table, and turn your head for a second, it may get stolen. Maybe it is a bad idea to put your wallet on the table in the first place, but steeling the wallet is a crime regardless of where it is. IT IS NOT YOURS!

I then contacted oDesk to file a dispute and they told me my time for dispute was over!? Here is the ticket conversation:

Ionie: Hello, Alex D. Can I help you with anything today?
                                Alex D: Hello I have a feeling the worker I hired has manipulated odesk to charge me $35 today but I already paid him $24 for the work he did. Unfortunately it was done as a bonus since I am very unfamiliar with odesk. So we left eachother feedback and that was it. Now I have a new charge for hours that we did not agree on
                                Ionie: One moment let me check
                                Ionie: May I have the Contract ID please?
                                Alex D: His name is Omar Edwards from Shabz Design. He made 2 pages for my Facebook page for $10 each and he got me 100 fans for $4. Each fan was $0.04
                                Alex D: I am on my iPhone. I am not sure if this chat will end if I try and go to another page
                                Ionie: No need
                                Ionie: one moment please
                                Ionie: So the agreed amount you had with him is just $24 is that correct?
                                Alex D: Yes only $24. I asked for more fans but he wanted to charge me $0.12/fan and I said no I will not pay more. So I deleted him from skype because I did not appreciate the price spike. He claims he gave me more fans then 100 which is not true so he probably thinks I should pay. We only agreed on 100 fans for $4
                                Alex D: And 2 pages for $20. I would also like to take back my feedback if possible because this is not professional to do.
                                Ionie: unfortunately you hired him under an hourly contract which is a guaranteed payment it means everytime a contractors log in they will get paid per hour
                                Ionie: you will need to speak with your contract to process a refund
                                Ionie: as employers review period for the week he worked for was already ended yesterday
                                Alex D: Well can you see screen shots? He didn't do any work. The job ended a while ago before I left feedback
                                Ionie: Unfortunately time given to you to dispute charges for the week he worked for already ended yesterday so we cannot file a dispute any more
                                Ionie: it is the emcccccccbpnffketrrhinglugccnkcrinvnuounjjtfnfvjf
                                Ionie: employers responsibility to check the work diary during the review period and file a dispute between that time as well incase there are issues on the work diary
                                Alex D: I have all logs of skype messages. I will try and ask this thief to refund but if he says no, I am calling my bank to file for a charge back and I have all conversation logs to prove the work ended before I paid him $24
                                Ionie: What you can only do now is to contact him and ask for a refund
                                Ionie: Problem alex is you hired him under an hourly contract it is stated on our policy that hourly contracts are a guaranteed payment. So what ever agreement you have with him if you hire him under an hourly contract and contractor logged in he will still be paid
                                Ionie: Contract that you should have offered shoukld be fixed price if it will be a task something like a commission basis'
                                Alex D: Yes and I will also call my bank to file a charge back and I'll discontinue using odesk. This is not fair. I will not participate with a company that does not help claims such as mine regardless of the dispute time. I was unaware and did not receive any notification that I was being charged. I thought once you pay and leave feedback the work is done. I did not make a milestone or agree more hours.
                                Alex D: I asked to change to fixed but this is not possible. You can see our conversations in inbox. I don't understand why odesk cannot investigate this. There is proof.
                                Alex D: You understand that I will not be robbed like this. I will not let someone just take my money because of a loophole in that I failed to understand. You should not protect someone who takes advantage of people like me
                                Ionie: he cannot change it to a fixed price as you have to do it on your end
                                Alex D: So now he will continue to login and take my money. I want this job closed now please.
                                Ionie: Also, if you both just agreed to make a bonus payment on this you should have set the weekly limit to 0
                                Ionie: The logged in he made was made when the contract he had with you was still active
                                Ionie: How it works was posted on our odesk User Agreement which we asked user to accept
                                Alex D: I don't know how to do that! I submitted a ticket explaining this and I said job is complete please release payment. Then I left feedback and I thought job was closed. He logged in and did not work!!!
                                Ionie: The charges on your account was for the log in he made March 1
                                Ionie: as I see here contract was ended march4
                                Ionie: You were just charge yester as employers review periods end Sunday 23:59 UTC
                                Ionie: Your contractor can refund these funds
                                Ionie: please speak with him and ask for a refund
                                Alex D: I know about user agreements as I own a business and I also like to protect myself from refunds but I hope you understand that regardless of what accepted, I did not accept to be robbed or to have odesk not take my claim into consideration and investigate. You guys are not robots. You can clearly see that I have been taken advantage of. But if you want to be defensive and protect a thief then I will protect myself too. I'll discontinue using odesk and submit a charge back since you don't seem to realize that im just an honest person who is just asking for my money back which was not earned buy this crook!!! I work too hard for me to sit back and let this happen.
                                Alex D: Please close this job to prevent this a**hole from charging me again. Have a good night.
                                Ionie: Time period given to you to file a dispute was already ended
                                Ionie: and it is your obligation to check their work diary'
                                Ionie: Ionie exited session.

I agree that there are policies to follow but you cannot write a policy for all issues. It is not possible. I was in the military and there are issues that still happen to this date that there is not a policy in place for. We are all humans, and we have to treat each case differently. I tried to contact Omar Edwards from Shabz Design on skype and he blocked me right away so I then knew this was not a mistake. He deliberately took advantage of me. I contacted oDesk one more time and pleaded that they look at my case and forward it to a manager for review and Odesk refused to help me. I am an honest man and I explained to odesk that I have proof of our agreement and him saying the job is $24 and he has completed it on March 3. Odesk will realize Shabz Design obviously took advantage of my open project to log hours which he did not work if they just reviewed the evidence! I will be damned if I just let some jackwagon steel my money. How are you going to ask a thief to give you your money back? I understand policies but this is a very clear case of abuse. Odesk should set all hourly jobs to 0 by default, NOT unlimited incase things like this happen! Once the job has been awarded, it should be up to us to set the hours we agree upon and have the provider agree and accept. If you set as unlimited as default, the provider can begin logging any hours he wants! This is ridiculous! There are no checks and balances here. Mistakes happen! I am getting no protection here. I am going to try once more to get help from odesk. If it fails, I will file a chargeback and I could care less if my account is closed because I will not support a company who does not have the capacity to investigate claims of abuse. If I would make suggestions to odesk I'd say to set all new hourly jobs to 0 by default so if people like me are new to odesk and do not know that the job starts off as unlimited, the provider will be forced to remind them to add hours just like milestones which we both can agree and accept! But if people like me accidentally do not change the hours from unlimited to whatever hours that we both agree upon, the provider can stay quiet and log as many hours as he wants which is a ridiculous loophole in favor of any dishonest person or company like Shabz Designz. Wake up oDesk! I have read countless complaints about the same issue! Don't you think it's time to take a closer look at your policies?! You give little time and notice to file disputes! Now that I have been charged, I cannot dispute?! I literally contacted oDesk with in one hour after I received notification that I was charged. I will do my research and find out if I can file a BBB complaint. I will also post this on /link removed/ sitepoint.com, etc... I do not care if this takes 30 hours out of my work time. I will gladly do this so I can warn people of Omar Edward's scam tactics from Shabz Designz www.shabzdesignsinc.com, and oDesk's lack of protection for employers!

• Ra
                                raquelmorrison Jul 02, 2011

• Da
                                DawnMarieP Jan 06, 2012

Odesk is horrible and they are scammers!!! They charged my credit card $600 for work never done!!! I opw my credit card reverses the charges.

Elance.comNothing but problems

I went to elance to see if I could swing some extra cash on the side. I'm a freelancer and their ads are everywhere so I checked it out and bid on a few projects. Couldn't believe how low the bids were for some of these tech jobs I guess that's what happens when you're competing against people in India for work. They can afford to bid lower. Problem comes when I get an accepted bid at lower than my usual rate but it's still good extra money so I take it up do the work and BAM the guy splits without paying me. Now elance won't intervene, I got no cash and I'm out six hours of good hard work. Lame!

• Ta
                                  TaylorK Jan 26, 2010

I am sorry that you had difficulties with one of Elance's providers. I personally have used Elance as a provider and a buyer and just like anywhere, there are some good and bad ones in the bunch. However, I don't necessarily blame Elance but myself for choosing the way that I did.

What I have learned is to use Elance's system to your advantage and to never base one's decision on the feedback system alone. Instead, you should interview the provider or buyer thoroughly and make them sign a contract before you do any work. As a provider, I also request half down and half upon completion.

In your instance, I would not have rendered the work until it was completely paid for and if it wasn't paid for, I would use it elsewhere as stated in my contract. Instead, I would give them an non editable pdf file. For instance, let's say I wrote some articles that were not paid for in full. I would then inform the buyer that if they didn't pay the remainder that the articles would be used elsewhere. If they didn't pay, I would "spin" them and sell them somewhere else so that all my efforts were not in vain. Perhaps you could do something like this with the technical work you did. Then, all hope wouldn't be loss.

Again I am sorry for your situation and hope that you don't give up on Elance as they can be great.