Thrifty Car Rentalthey don't like dutch people!

August 4, 2006 10:30 pm. Had a confirmed reservation with a dutch address and passport at Thrity St Louis Airport. At arrival the agent Joshua refused to honor the reservation and contract saying I did not have a valid drivers license. He would not help, offer any advice, or assist in any way. Thrifty and Joshua was content to leave me stranded all night in St. Louis after they had promised me a car. Finally carried my suitcase to Enterprise and had no problem, but paid 3 times the price. I think THRIFTY and Agent Joshua might have rented the car had I made a larger price for the reservation. But I think they don't like Dutch people coming to Thrifty in St. Louis.

• Valerie Aug 17, 2006

Some rental car companies here in the US will not rent to you without an International driver's license. It has nothing to do with your nationality.

• Valerie Aug 17, 2006

Yeah, I doubt someone has it out for the Dutch here.

• Valerie Aug 17, 2006

Honey, St Louis wouldn't be the town it is without the German and Dutch people. St. Louis folks might not always be the friendliest but trust me it is nothing personal and it sure isn't because you are Dutch. I hope you come back sometime and give us another chance, there are some parts of St. Louis I think you would like very much.

• Valerie Aug 17, 2006

So Joshua tell you that your driver's license is the problem and you take that as he doesn't like Dutch people? Maybe he saw your haircolor and decided not to serve you based on that?

• Valerie Dec 08, 2006

Thrifty Car Rental ... NEVER AGAIN!!!

Upon retirement I wanted to visit Ireland again to just meander around and play golf when the weather permitted in mid November.

Prior to the trip, I contacted my credit card company to make certain I had the same conditions for insurance as the last time we went. Visa assured me I need not purchase any insurance as by using the card I was covered. Visa actually snail mailed a letter for me to take as proof of insurance.

Months before I had reserved a compact car for my sojourn around Ireland – just large enough for a set of golf clubs and a satchel of clothes for the great price of $99.00 for the week. Of course, the first thing the counterman talked me into was a slightly larger vehicle for only $29.00 more for the week. Why not? I took it.

Next came the question of insurance. So far my bill for the week was going to be $128.00. Not bad for one week of transportation. When asked if I needed insurance I proudly presented my letter from Visa indicating I was covered. The counterman scanned the letter and with a slight degree of one-up-manship stated, “We don’t accept Visa insurance.” Not a, “I’m sorry sir, but” or “Unfortunately, sir,” just, “We don’t accept Visa insurance.”

But… but, my letter. "It says I don’t need to buy any other insurance." Long story short – I’m in a foreign country and some pre-adult with pimples is telling me, “Well, if you get in an accident, you will have to pay for the entire cost.” What do you do??? You buy their insurance (Now, this insurance is to cover me if I get in an accident.) AND, “Do you also want the insurance in case the windscreen is broken, vandalism to the car, the car is stolen, the tires get shredded, and any other unforeseen problems that may arise?” This is insurance for anything else that happens that is not an accident with another vehicle.

Again, I’m in a foreign country, it’s suggested I get it. I get it.

All told: the car rental was $128.00 for the week. The insurance I had to buy was $351.00 for the week bringing my car rental to a grand total of $479.00. Hell, my airfare from Chicago O’Hare to Dublin was only $455.00!!!

I walked away from the counter feeling screwed, totally screwed. But what were the options?

Not being one to let things go easily, it took a few days to forget about it.

UNTIL I got home. One of my first calls once I was in my own car was to VISA to find out what the problem was only to find out the only problem was with THEFTY, I mean Thrifty. I was covered. What I should have done was to refuse the insurance, but at the time, I felt I was behind a rock and a hard place.

I called customer service at Thefty, I mean Thrifty, to lodge a complaint and attempt to get my insurance money back and was informed the fine print indicated only MasterCard Gold and Platinum were accepted. Claim denied.

I called my VISA card again and was told my VISA insurance would have covered any claim whether Thefty, I mean Thrifty, would take it or not.

I once had my car broken into a number of years ago and felt like many do under the circumstances – violated. That’s exactly how I felt when I found out the truth. Thrifty undoubtedly owns the insurance company and makes more off the insurance than they do in renting cars.

I will never, under any condition, ever rent another car from THEFTY, I mean Thrifty. What they did borders on fraud and theft. Their representative at the counter lied, out and out LIED to me; and to how many others?

What should have been a $128.00 transaction turned into $479.00.

I suggest you “STAY AWAY FROM THRIFTY CAR RENTAL!!!!!”

• Sl
    Sloane Stephenson Apr 06, 2007

I was given extra insurance ($9/day) that I didn't know I had agreed to until I received my bill. Funny, I assumed that what I agreed to online, and in my verbal conversation with the agent at the counter at 11:30pm, was all I needed to rely upon (I wonder how many people can actually take the time to read the lengthy rental contract when it is shoved under their nose - - not to mention the fact they direct you to simply sign at the bright blue "X's"). A customer should not have to anticipate possible deception like this. I will not use Thefty again either.

• Te
    Terry L. Maddox Sep 04, 2008

I don't think the staff at Thrifty Car Rental appreciates having customers and believe, therefore, that they should not have any.

none May 09, 2009

Geez.. you idiots need to learn how to READ what you sign, and understand how insurance and the VISA/MC cost damage waiver actually works!

Magaña Javier Aug 15, 2018

I was renting a car in México for 4 days from July 4, 2018 to July 8, 2018 I did and paid online my rental stated I was included local taxes and airport fee plus emergency toll assistance when my car was returned I was charged for everything was included as fallow:

local taxes 654.80
    airport fee 653.42
    toll road 165.08
    can you correct it .

• Ro
    Roseboro Sep 01, 2018

Received toll ill for .56 with a 10.00 administrative charge. also the rep signed me up for supplemental insurance that was more per day than the actual rental amount for the car itself. Never was any of this disclosed to me or was I given the option to decline

• Jh
    Jhalyn Monte Oct 02, 2018

I'm receiving unnecessary message about my Account. I want this to stop for my account safety.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices