Thrifty Car Rentalcar rental ft myers airport

This was the worst rental car experience I have had in memory and I travel a lot. Starts with the Thrifty agent at Ft Myers airport. I'd made a reservation via RentalCars.com and the Thrifty agent tells us the reserved car isn’t available, puts us in another car which we assumed to be equivalent, and proceeds to tell us that despite the fact that Thrifty accepts reservations from RentalCars “they will tell customers anything they want to hear”. We later find that this results in a daily rental fee that is almost 100% higher than the quoted cost. Next regarding the offered Thrifty insurance, my wife and I declined and responded that our personal car insurance covers rental cars. Nevertheless he proceeds to charge a $28/day Loss Damage Waiver.
Next comes the car. It had +40, 000 miles on it, huge by rental car standards. And when we were roughly 40 miles away (toward our destination at a conference in Naples), a terrible smell comes in the car, as if someone had thrown up in it, and there was an empty coke can in the back seat that had evidently exploded, as sticky fizz was on various parts of the front seats and head liner. I called Thrifty about getting an exchange car, and they refused to either do an exchange at the nearby Naples airport (where they also have a counter) or bring a replacement car to us. Attending the conference we had no time to travel back to Ft Myers airport to exchange. Bottom line is a quoted rental reservation of $261 ended in a Thrifty charge of $702 (car was returned with a full tank). Contacting Thrifty in Ft Myers, they were unwilling to make any accommodation.

• Bw
    bwardlaw Jun 05, 2012

I rented a Ford Forcus and I returned it to thrifty rental with a 1/2 a tank of gas and they charged me for 8 gallons of gas that was 102.56...This is BEYOND a rip off!!! How does Thrifty with that name which is LAUGHABLE Thritfy which is a contradiction in terms... HOW DO THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS???????????????????????????????????

• Le
    lepkap Aug 05, 2011

I had a similar experience - do not use Thrifty - they engage in deceptive practices to tack on additional charges

• Fr
    Frequent Travels Jun 20, 2011

The counter agent slickly offers a complimentary upgrade. You initial and sign an electronic acknowledgement pad that is poorly backlight so you can't read it and they charge you for an upgrade that you thought was free. Beware and stay aware from this company. Calling customer service is a waste of time. I believe it is a concerted practice to enhance revenue.

• Ke
    kedia May 28, 2010

I agree with the comment above all car rentals work on a 24hr basis, second it says in the terms and conditions on the website that a second driver will be charged.

• Ki
    King1970 Mar 31, 2010

First of all it is common sence that the rental day is 24 hrs...the rental car company did not call u to make a reservation...u called them so u should know what time to pick up and return...if u pass u time ...u will pay.

• Ka
    karen kackley Feb 25, 2010

Rented a car for 3 days. Checked it out at10:28am/brought back 12:32 on the 3rd day. Got charged an extra 3 hours @9.45 an hour. Charged an extra day also because of extra driver. Did not understand it all. We were never told about the exact time it was to be returned. I've never had such a horrible time with a rental. Customer service rep told me their was nothing they could do. So, I have an extra charge of $90.00. Not very happy.

• Ji
    jim Oct 24, 2008

booked a car online from their websitefor $153 10/08 and was given a conformation #. when we arrived at DFW, my conf. # was not in their computer-their claim was that I had not completed the transaction-and the counter rate was to be $280. I rented from Budget for $180 and will NEVER contact thrifty again.