The Salvation Armydonations spent on officers, not the needy

R

Salvation Army, Roanoke:

Salvation Army officers lie about helping others, help only themselves. Here is how:
Corps Officer base salary, free house to live in, free vehicles including all
gas and maintenance, for him and his wife, all Federal, State, and Social
Security taxes paid, all utilities paid, free laptop for each of them, many
meals paid for him and his family, free college tuition for his children at any
university in the country, top of the line cell phone, free medical insurance
for his family, an allowance for each child he has, all life insurance and
retirement paid for. A $ 30, 000 base salary quickly turns into $ 120, 000!
Roanoke also has an Assistant Corps Officer, and he makes about half that
number. All of this is paid for by Roanoke donors.
The Salvation Army claims that 88% of all donations stay local.
However, a very small portion of that actually goes to help people of the
Roanoke Valley. The division that covers Roanoke includes over 30 local Corps.
Multiply the above dollar amounts by 30, and you will see that the largest
portion of donations goes to take care of the officers and their families, not
the needy. This division has about 12 officers at its headquarters in
Washington, DC. They make more than local officers. There are over 40
Salvation Army divisions in the United States. For most of the time that I was
at the Roanoke Salvation Army, most of the people who came to us for help were
turned away and told that "no funds were available." It is not hard to
understand why. And they got rid of me to save money. Increased giving means
more money for the officers to use for themselves. Also, for the five Christmas
seasons I spent at The Salvation Army, all Christmas Kettle donations went to
division headquarters in Washington, DC, none of them stayed in Roanoke. That was around one
million dollars for the five years. Part of it went to pay for extravagant
Christmas parties for all Virginia officers and their families. They all spent
one week at The Kingsmill in Williamsburg. Donating to The Salvation Army is a
bad idea. The officers are ###. The Salvation Army motto is "Doing the Most Good." It should read
"Doing the Most Good for the Officers." This is only the tip of the iceberg. There is much more. Please feel free to
share this information with others. Thanks.

• Re
    Red999 Dec 03, 2018

I know for a fact that Salvation Army workers are stealing from the donations. I have a family member that boasts about it. They go "Shopping" from the donations and keep all the gift cards, even hold "garage sales" with donations! I do not trust them, I would never donate to them ever again. They usually come from a long family of "Salvationists" who know how to work the system. Free everything...? Teaching their children how to fake religion. Just like serial welfare, generations of thieving and getting away with it. Disgusting. I have cut this family member off, I do not like how they are and I will not welcome them in my life knowing how despicable they are.

• Vi
    vick0326 Jun 26, 2016

If u were with the Army for 5 years and you never said anything until they fired you what does that say about you if they were so unethical why in the world would you stay with them for so long if you knew such bad things were going on and you were there the whole entire time until they let you go you're no better than anyone else and how dare you say something now

Jason Abernathy Jun 09, 2016

I've seen first-hand what the Salvation Army Officers are given and the extras they take. They live in houses that are nicer than anyone in their congregation could afford. At least $300, 000 value and up. They are given cars and often"take" donated cars for their children. All their bills are paid, all meals(including expensive restaurant meals with multiple guests) are covered, all taxes and insurances covered, fuel covered, clothing covered, student loans paid. Plus each officer (husband and wife) receives a salary of about 30, 000 on top of it all. Add the fact that they employee their own family and friends with salary discretion and you can see how well off they make themselves. "Doing the most good...for the officers and their families"

Erin M. Henderson Mar 09, 2016

ellen, while DV is, on a salvation army building they are goverment funded, and they don't let the army know anything. They make their own choices, they are in control, not the army. If a officer intruded to try and talk some sense into them they could be sued. It is far more, complicated than you think.

Erin M. Henderson Mar 09, 2016

It truly sicken me to see these people that have no idea what they are talking about spit such hatred out of their mouths. Houses aren't repainted, you get there and do everything you want changed yourself with your own money. The cars are traded in every 6-7 years so they never pay full price and so the car doesn't break down. Every corps only had ONE house for, the officers and some locations you don't have a vehicle . because you have a house and car your pay is low, just enough to cover lights and good on the table. All gifts for events are donations from hallmark or whoever donated, they never buy new things. You are in a budget, your whole corps is and if you go over you can lose your job . also no officer stays in one place longer than 6years . they are constantly moved, with moving orders every year, only time you would not be moved is if your kids are young and in school. I don't believe that the person who started this thread attended this church for five years because if they Had I would not hear such disgusting lies coming out of your mouth

Erin M. Henderson Mar 09, 2016

Those houses and card belong to The church and are left with the church when those officers leave. You pay 10, 000. To go through the school and are paying that money back while working. Almost all money made goes into outreach programs, feeding homeless and hungry kids, temporary housing for families in trouble and they also pay light bills for people in extreme need. Not to mention the emergency services that go all over the world with canteens.

• Bu
    BuddyBud Feb 28, 2016

The Salvation Army in Racine Wi has to have had the worst officers ever in the last 10 years. They don't do squat. But sure live high on the hog. The only reason they stayed open was because of that white boy they had running the youth centre. He cared so much about the hood, but they couldn't show him any love and let him go. What a waste.

• Fa
    farout 997 Mar 16, 2015

It is a fact that they get 15, 009 a base paid a year so they cam say they don't get much.
    however they do get a car, house. with almost all bill paid for. almost all officers get there kid in the army. They do a lot of good, but they live very good.

• Br
    Brent54 Feb 02, 2014

Our local Captain in Portland, Australia only looks after the young girls in need of helping out not males looking for help...Not right

• Na
    Nameless Wonderer Dec 16, 2013

I was a member of the local Salvation Army for 5 years as well. I can tell you that this is all true. Each Corps operates off of "mail appeal" (those lovely donation request envelopes that end up in your mail boxes)(175, 000$/Yrs), church tithes (8000$/year), donations, and kettle funds. At the Corps I attended, our kettle goal was 70, 000$. So income is about 253, 000$/yr.

Once you account for 15, 000 (single officer base take home salary), taxes paid for the officer, student loan allowance, insurance, reimbursed medical expenses, cell phone credits, clothing allowance, UNMARKED personal vehicle (never more than 10 years old), gas reimbursement, trips etc. (Now at approximately 50, 000$); social worker at 12, 000 a year; program assistant at 12, 000 a year, janitor at 12, 000 a year, their insurance, a 10, 000$ World Services requirement, electric at 1000$/month, gas and water about the same, corps van at 1500/month in fuel. There are also small expenses such as office supplies, 250/kid for camp - minimum 30 kids that the corps must pay for, church dinners, awards, Christmas presents, etc. You are now looking at upwards of 175-200 thousand dollars. And the corps takes in 253 a year? That means that this corps is spending 69% on overhead and "divisional requirements" than on actually helping people. I agree that 78, 000 a year is a lot of money to help with; however, when the church down the road is doing the same thing without begging people for money, it begs the question- why?

Again. I attended (did not work for) the Salvation Army for 5 years and was actually interested in becoming an officer. It so happened that a new officer found it more appealing to be in the office 4 hours a day 4 days a week and prepare a 7minute message with everyone else leading worship; than to actually do her job and "calling". It was and still is very apparent that the money called her more than God.

• Ca
    Carol Christenbury Oct 02, 2013

My brother was in the residence program in salvation army in Charlotte NC for alcohol .They worked in the stores they get paid like a dollar a day but the work is part of there treatment. It sounds like those people need to learn how to treat people., I am so sorry for your lose I know that had to be a very difficult time for you. I am sorry that you had to suffer at the hands of heartless people. when you work there you are acting on the behalf of salvation army and those people need to be fired.

• Ripped off in Roanoke, You are a ###

• Th
    Thetruthsohelpmegod May 15, 2013

It sounds like you need to see a mental health professional.

• Ka
    Katarina lp May 15, 2013

first of all if you are going to talk crap learn how to read, yes I clearly stated I looked around the Hole Store I wanted to make sure that my daughter's belongings would have been priced reasonably she was a human being not an pet ( Prices people can afford ) $5.00 for an old stained baseball cap is really ridicules...$ 45.00 for a broken desk. I looked around as I said because I wanted to help and my late 16 year old would have wanted me to do so. Secondly When you are at a work environment you should act professionally Salvation Army is a business not a hang out spot as a manager you lead bye example. I have over $3, 000 of personal items to donate. doing charitable work does not mean you can act like an uneducated, rude, obnoxious person. Obviously you may very well be one of the employees shouting through the store why else would you criticize a mother for wanting to donate her late daughter's belongings to help those in need. I had a question ! I needed help to unload the things and her jewelry. This was very hard for me as any human being would understand in my position so take your criticism and stick it. This web site is made for complains that is exactly I did. Salvation Army is not a consignment store. they were once upon a time a place where families that were having a hard time could go and find thing for a reasonable price. yes bills need to be paid but not at the cost of those who need the most. as for your ridicules statement learn to have compassion and get over your self

• Ka
    Katarina lp May 14, 2013

I drove to this location from Enfield Connecticut about a 45 minute ride I arrived to the store and look inside to check on things and the price recently my teenage daughter passed away from cancer I had her things in the car to donate, I stopped at service desk or register to ask a question the manager was about 100 feet from the counter another employee was coming towards me they started shouting at one another the manager yelled if I was buying something The other associate screamed back he wasn't sure mind you I was right there, all they had to do was ask me . I turned around and told the manager I had a question she snubbed and yelled to the other associate if she's not buying anything I'm not coming up this is so disappointing I will not leave My daughters things to be donated this organization should be ashamed these people that you have in charge of this store cannot deserve to have a job very disappointed I will find somewhere else that I can list all her things for free prices were very high how can a Person that is having difficulties able to buy some things that really were not in that great of a shape for five dollars or more what ever happened to the prices that people who go in there and get what they needed

charliemil Feb 04, 2013

Bed bugs are rampant at the Salvation Army Red Shield Lodge in Roanoke, VA. They also have bat droppings in the main dining room at the church. Officers and HR refuse to deal with it.

• Da
    Darrell41 Jan 08, 2013

The Salvation Army really is just another money spinner, the only thing that sets it apart from other industries is it coattails on the back of poverty and misfortune. Not to mention it pays zero taxes and gets all its goodies for free, which it then sells at Walmart prices. It is a burgeoning poverty industry. I live in Montreal, Canada and i cannot believe the lack of respect with which the Salvation army thrift store managers treat their customers. Piles of broken electronics lie around, people drop them and the staff nonchalantly scrape them off the floor and put them right back on the shelves to be purchased by trusting customers. plugs have been removed from radios and other equipment to prevent the customers from verifying if they do indeed work. Low quality items usually missing their accessories are sold at just below regular store prices. Despite ( or perhaps because of ) the incredible perks the Salvation Army "top brass" enjoy the thrift stores pursue aggressive bait and switch tactics on their customers, throwing womens clothing in the mens section and vice versa, suddenly changing their half price days and setting confusing rules and on what is or is not on sale. All these measures are designed to steal from customers to support the extravagances of the higher ups. The stores' no money back policy on broken or mislabelled merchandise is proof of this "for profits only " policy.
    Don't donate to them, you are better off selling your goods at low price on the internet or just having a garage sale or even chucking them on the street to be picked up by others.

• St
    Steve 4321 May 23, 2017

@Darrell41 Well said, , The peoples of the world need to understand that all the thrift shop workers and the thousands of volunteers are just the Busy Little Ants bringing in the money to secure the no working luxury lifestyles of The Salvation Army Officers, Sargent's Major's and Generals and their Families all across the Globe, , I just got a letter today saying if I give them $80 they will be able to find a cold homeless person and give them a Blanket to keep them warm, , I think I will go buy 16 blankets for $80 from their Salvo Store and pass them out 16 homeless people .

• SKOR Dec 05, 2012

Thrift store customers usually aren't looking for stylish surroundings.
    Sorting through other people's used goods sounds like messy work - I am not surprised the place is unkempt.

• Zi
    Zisel Dec 05, 2012

This store is an insult to the customers and to the employees who have to spend the workday in such dirty and unattractive surroundings. The floor tiles are coming up and apparently the place hasn't been painted in decades. I brought some linens and other items in yesterday. All the donations are thrown in the back of the store in disarray. I called the main office of The Salvation Army and was given the name of a supervisor who was no longer working with the organization. I left two messages, but no one returned my call. Frankly, I wonder about the integrity of this organization.

• El
    Ellen Quillen Sep 25, 2012

I am a victim of domestic violence that happened in NC. I called Turning Point and talked to a counselor who asked a lot of questions and then said I met the criteria to stay at the shelter. Therefore, I decided to come to Roanoke because I needed the services of Carillon for a broken shoulder and 4 cracked ribs and a lot of emotional trauma. When I arrived at the shelter, I was interviewed and told I did not meet the criteria because I took myself away from the danger. I was then put out in the rain with a bus pass and told to go to the homeless shelter. What a caring and compassionate shelter this is...they have the living room barred from the single women because it is for "Show" for the tours and sponsors". It is definitely no a good example of a DV Shelter for abused women. I hope everyone who reads this will think many times before supporting it and encourage any agency not to donate or support it until it changes the direction it going.

• Ri
    Ripped off in Roanoke Aug 20, 2012

This message is in response to redhatterb71:
    I was the Financial Controller. I DO KNOW what I am talking about. I saw all financial activities. At Christmas, they do help people with donations that officers, volunteers and employees don't steal. I intend to make all the trouble I can for those ###. Perhaps you should get a job and quit expecting handouts from charities.

• Ju
    June Spring May 29, 2012

I had the same thing happen to me here in in Oklahoma City. I scheduled a pickup for an entertainment center...in good condition. I was needing to donate as I could not take it with me. I came home to find that my entertainment center that was in very good condition doors had been broken. The two wheels had been broken off. I called and complained and the supervisor says that it will be picked up this Thursday, May 31st. This is terrible as I only donated as I knew someone could get good use out of it and is a very nice pine southwestern style entertainment center. The most important thing is that whoever came to pick up rather than pick up decided to break it. Very disappointed I should have donated it to a friend. I will not donate to Salvation Army again. I often yearly donate at Christmas to help but I will think three times before putting anything in the red kettle for donations. If you have something that is very nice think twice.

• Ju
    jude2u Jul 20, 2011

My mother arranged for the Salvation Army to pick up some furniture last Saturday. Even though they were told there was a large couch (dimensions were given earlier), several large chairs and some tables, only one person arrived. When he realized that he couldn't move it on his own or convince my sister with a broken arm to help, he called for someone else to assist him. They got the furniture out but in the process scratched up the freshly painted walls and broke a light fixture to such an extent that it caused further electrical problems afterwards. When my mother called on Monday to explain the situation to them they said that they shouldn't have bothered to take the couch because they would only get about $50.00 for it anyway and they offered no apologies for the damage they caused. So they disrespected my 80 year old mother and her property and brought her to tears when all she wanted to do was help out a little. Oh, and just so you know, the furniture she donated was in perfect condition. Think twice before you deal with them.

• Ji
    Jim Bauer Nov 06, 2019

@jude2u This is interesting and fairly typical. My late mother asked her local church to help with her house upkeep, after asking others who had used the free services of the church they said "All they do is plant flowers." Similarly my mother helped many different community organizations during her life, at her funeral not a one was there to thank or show appreciation to her life of free work for them. I have worked with charities many years. Many exist just like for profit organizations to simply help a few at the top. They are fronts. The Catholic Church being one of the most notable.

• Su
    Super Smart Consumer Dec 30, 2010

Wow *Brenda* you are *brillant* were you able to pass 7th grade?

• Su
    Super Smart Consumer Dec 29, 2010

I bet *Brenda* is either an employee of Salvation Army or someone the SA is trying to save. She needs help, that's for sure. Same goes for that idiot freak of nature living in Rosebud, SD.

• Wa
    wanda larrimore Dec 29, 2010

An Employee named Betty Brown, is very rude to people when they come to get food . Which by the way is given to them by wal-mart for the people of our town. For some reason this woman is very rude to people, she will tell them they are giving it to the prisoners, and then 30 min later will bringit up usually when her family is there. It does not matter to her that some of these people wait for that food and that
    they may need it for a meal. I have ask for the main office number serveral times and she tells me to get it the best way I can. She called the police on an 80 year old woman who spoke up for her daughter when she talked ugly to her and told her to get out of the store because she had two sweets. Then turn around and she is giving a lady 2 pies a dozen doughnuts and cookies. She has no right to talk to

people less than humans.

• Ji
    Jim Bauer Nov 06, 2019

@wanda larrimore In Jefferson City Missouri the S.A. is also very corrupt and filled with nasty tempered people to exist to take advantage of the poor, not help them.