The Mercury News Logo

The Mercury News

Having problems with The Mercury News?

The Mercury News reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 11, 2008. The latest review Invoice for free trial was posted on Oct 25, 2021. The latest complaint sunday paper was resolved on Apr 14, 2019. The Mercury News has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 40 reviews. The Mercury News has resolved 5 complaints.

The Mercury News Customer Service Contacts

4 N. Second Street, Suite 800
San Jose, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with The Mercury News Customer Service. Initial The Mercury News complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for The Mercury News above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about The Mercury News. Discuss the issues you have had with The Mercury News and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

The Mercury News Complaints & Reviews, Page 2

San Jose Mercury Newslight print in newspaper

I've just returned to the mercury's newspaper delivery service. The print is so light i'm having trouble reading it!! i'm a senior and i just spoke to a friend who stopped delivery because he couldn't read it either! i don't know who to complain to! are they trying to save ink??? i havn't even gotten my first bill and i'm ready to cancel so this is serious stuff! hope you can reach the right upper management people for me. Thanks

Respond

San Jose Mercury News — delivering a sj mercury 1 day per week when 7 days per week was agreed to

At a SF Baseball game, last month I subscribed to a 7 day per week physical delivery of the SJ Mercury New...

San Jose Mercury News — subscription to news paper which never was delivered!

I signed up over phone on May 20th, 2017 for a 5 month subscription. I never received any paper. I called up...

San Jose Mercury Newsducket and wilson management company and david lam property manager

Hello:

I am reaching out to you because we are in dire need of your assistance in dealing with an ongoing issue with the Property Management company [Duckett Wilson Property Mgmnt] who oversees my business's property. My name is Johanne Desjardins and I own a small business called Pure Bliss Float Center. We are located within a San Jose strip mall at 6055 Meridian Ave.

I spent 17 months in getting my new business open. [April 2016-Sept. 2017] During that time, we had many setbacks and delays which were caused by our property management company. Just a few of the delays were:
    Leaky roof --and the prop. mgmt company's delay in fixing them --which damaged or delayed our contractor's work inside
    Damage to a shared tenant wall [prop mgmt company's responsibility] and no direct involvement by Duckett Wilson to fix
    No working heater or AC from a broken legacy AC unit on roof. Duckett Wilson has not hired a contractor to fix nor given any updates for months. This has gone on since Sept. 2017. My clients and staff are freezing!!
    Can't finalize our electrical final inspection due to the actions of a roofing subcontractor hired by Ducket Wilson who refinished our roof. More detail about this is expressed in this letter.
    Can't pass our fire & safety inspection due to missing sprinkler system tags that are the responsibility of the property owner and property management company
    My business has 3 treatment rooms which require the temperatures of those rooms to be kept at a different temperature for the comfort of our clients. As a result, Pure Bliss hired an electrical and HVAC contractor to professionally install a new heating/cooling unit on the roof just for these 3 rooms. The existing legacy AC unit heats/cools the other common areas of our business.

Duckett Wilson has been promising to fix our leaky roof for over a year. They finally started the refinishing of our roof in July of 2017. They hired a roofing contractor to do this. This roofing contractor ended up uninstalling our new AC unit in order to redo the roof. However, their uninstall was done unprofessionally; they pulled out several feet of AC conduit through the roof, compromising the integrity of the connection points to our indoor units and never consulted with us to help coordinate this. In addition, they uninstalled the electrical setup and left the quick-connect box dangling on the roof floor. When it came time to re-install, they threw away the AC's base platform, created a new makeshift platform, installed the unit in a completely different location, left the exposed AC conduit showing on the roof, and improperly re-installed the electrical system.

As a result, when it came time for our final inspection, we could not pass electrical inspection due to the shoddy install of the AC system up there. We communicated these issues to Duckett Wilson immediately via tel and email in the middle of September, right after failing our final inspection. We also communicated to Duckett Wilson in Sept. the issue we found with the existing, legacy AC unit. Upon inspection by a HVAC contractor Pure Bliss hired, it was discovered that the existing unit had never been properly serviced over the decades of its' serviced, and now suffered from bad heating elements and a dead circuit board electronics. We had no working AC or heating from this point on. The HVAC contractor recommended that the entire unit be replaced, and were very willing to work with our property mgmt company in order to facilitate this. Our HVAC contractor said that -- with Duckett Wilson's approval -- they could have a new unit installed and working for us within a matter of 2 weeks. We passed this information on to Ducktett Wilson, as well, and put them in contact with our HVAC contractor.

Needless to say, Duckett Wilson has done nothing to resolve any of the issues I've described above [shared wall damage; broken legacy AC unit; piss-poor reinstall of our new AC unit and electrical]. Every time we call or email, we get a verbal "We're on it!!" yet nothing gets done.

I've had to already pay for one temporary certificate of occupancy [in Sept] with the city of San Jose, costing me $1, 020. This was necessary for me to start doing business. I will have to pay for another temporary certificate [$1, 020] at the end of this month due to the fact that Ducktett Wilson has done nothing to fix the issues yet. We have an email thread of numerous email attempts made to Duckett Wilson by myself and other contractors whom we've hired at different times during our project. From Sept - Oct, our clients sweated their butts off due to no AC in the common areas. Now our same clients are freezing due to no heat in our place of business. In addition, we also have the smell of sewage gas creeping into our workplace from the unused, open HVAC return duct in our hallway [All sewage smell escapes through traps for our business and adjacent tenants through the roof; with no working return duct system on our legacy HVAC unit, we have an open pathway for the smell to creep back into our business.]

In regards to our failing our fire inspection, the inspector informed us that the property --which all shares one sprinkler system; no individual fire alarm systems -- failed inspection due to missing tags on the fire riser system. The inspector said this was not our responsibility to provide but for the property management company/building owner to provide. We informed Ducket Wilson of this issue immediately [late Aug-early Sept], and they have failed to fix/provide proper documentation in over 3-1/2 months.

In regards to the damage to our shared tenant wall, the neighboring tenant [a restaurant] made some unauthorized modifications to the inside of his space which resulted in dirty grease water to spill over through our shared wall and into our space whenever the restaurant performed a cleaning of their cooking system. We had just paid tens of thousands of dollars to have our side of this shared wall turned into an acoustical sound wall in order to keep the restaurant noise to a minimum. We informed Duckett Wilson about the damage and although the shared wall being their responsibility, they have refused to get involved. In fact, they even denied our requests to have them pass along our neighboring tenant's liability insurance information so that we could initiate a damage claim with them. Duckett Wilson has been completely hands-off in everything.

We've made phone calls to Duckett Wilson weekly; we emailed on numerous occasions; we've sent them documentation, pictures, statements for contractors we've hired, etc. whenever Duckett Wilson requested it. We've made attempts to different personnel within their company. We've tried to engage some of their contractors directly in order to help facilitate a speedy repair. And we have gotten no where. We are at our wit's end and have been stretched financially by this project and delays from the project management company. Hiring an attorney would place further burden on me, and I'm still trying to have these issues handled in a way that would make hiring an attorney unnecessary. I'm hoping that your team could help us in trying to have these matters resolved.

I can be reached at the following:

Johanne Desjardins

Abigail Johnson [project manager] - [protected]
    [protected]@duckettwilson.com
    David Lam [project manager's boss]- [protected]
    [protected]@duckettwilson.com

Looking forward to your reply.

San Jose Mercury News — not stopping delivery

I have been trying dor six months now to get the Mercury news to stop delivering paper. I no longer have a...

San Jose Mercury Newssunday paper today.

I bought 6 newspaper today and it clearly said $290 total of savings. Went I went to look in them, none of them had any coupons. I'm just wanted my refund or the coupons that we're promised inside them. Please I buy them every Sunday and today was just a disappointment. I tried to return them to the original store I bought them at and they turned me away. I've called multiple (5) numbers and there was no help at all or answers. Please

1 Response
        • Ge
          Gene Luna Dec 30, 2018

The paper we received this morning had two weekend extra sections and nothing else. No front page, no local section and no sports page. Last Saturday we received no paper at all. If this kind of service continues we will have no choice but to cancel our subscription.

San Jose Mercury Newsnever delivered, but keeps charging, even after cancellation 1 yr later

signed up for sunday + digital for $20 in 4/2016. we never got the newspaper delivered. after repeated complaints of non-delivery, customer service agreed they will cancel our subscription. (during this time, which took over 3 months, we received ZERO papers). 1 year later, a charge pops up in our credit card account for a subscription and renewal that is not authorized. called Mercury News, customer rep is confused since our account is closed and should not have been charged. but has to go through supervisor to reverse unauthorized charge week later, they refund the unauthorized charge minus $0.60.
        Unreliable service, and their billing isn't keeping up with subscription status that was changed 8 months earlier.
        even with zero delivery, we still receive hand-delivered tips/donation solicitation in December in our mailbox by the so-called carrier who never delivered, so we know the carrier knows the correct address (we have security camera, and no newspaper delivery was even attempted, so it's not the case of stolen delivery)

Respond

San Jose Mercury Newsjmn refuses to convert my subscription to digital / sunday only delivery

Over the last five weeks I have made at least six calls to Customer Service, who agreed to stop delivering my paper, except for Sunday, in favor of a digital subscription. But that was over a month ago, and I am still getting daily papers - and the refund I am due for prepayment has still not been charged back to my card.

The news division is great, but the business office is dishonest, incompetent, or (to be charitable) understaffed. Whatever excuse they may have, it is very bad business.

Customer Service supervisors told me $304.25 of my automatic prepayment would be refunded, but that was over a month ago. It has not posted to my account, though Customer Service blamed the "Finance Department."

I live on Social Security, and I can no longer afford anything but a digital subscription. But if this goes on much longer, I'll cancel the paper altogether and file for my refund in Small Claims Court. I hate to do it, because it will cost SJMN attorneys a lot more than $300 to defend this case.

B. Hanson

San Jose Mercury News — daily dumping of sjmn in atherton

Subscription was cancelled 11/16. Newspaper continues to be delivered to uninhabited residence in affluent...

San Jose Mercury Newsdelivery reliability

San Mateo County version
            The weekly TV Guide is frequently not delivered. April 2nd when I called to report the missing section, went through the tree answering all he questions. Normally after that I would have been transferred to a person to take the complaint and have a copy delivered. Rather the program just said we are not open call during normal business hours. This occurred at 8 AM on Sunday. Tried again with same results.
            Called in Monday and was reassured a copy would be delivered, Not true!
            Carl Olson [protected]

Respond

San Jose Mercury News — wet, missing and failure to deliver another paper when asked too. no response from a supervisor when asking for a follow up.

Susan Senneck  James Reedy [protected]@att.net [protected] I want to cancel my order San Jose Mercury...

San Jose Mercury News — scam

I was approached by a high school/foster kid. He said he got a scholarship to San Jose State for football. He...

San Jose Mercury Newspaper — delivery problems

Carrier misses my delivery once in every 3 or 4 months. Today was one of them. I called at earliest time to...

San Jose Mercury Newspaper — news delivery scam

A supposed "college student" came to my door selling subscriptions for the newspaper. He was telling people...

San Jose Mercury News — won't stope my subscription and keep sending me bills, and unwanted newspaper and harass me with repeated phone calls

About four months ago a young kid knocked my door saying that he was a student who was arranging money to go...

San Jose Mercury News — high pressure sales tactics/automatic renewal

The San Jose Mercury News employs high pressure sales tactics such as having groups of "students" solicit...

Sanjose Mercury News — abusive, unethical and misleading sales practices

We have already paid the san jose mercury news paper subscription amount. We thought we are helping a low...

San Jose Mercury Newsrepeated billings

This is regarding San Jose Mercury News bussiness practices:
              In February 2009, I gave $20 for Mercury New subscription to a high school student earning 'commissions' for college savings. I don't have time to read the paper, I wanted to do a good deed. I opted for week-end only paper, but the paper arrived daily. I called Mercury News twice, to try to change the schedule, but they claimed they could not find my delivery address in their records. They could not find my account, but the paper was delivered to my address!? So I gave up, thinking that after $20 worth of papers they will stop. But no, after a while I received bill to renew the subscription. I ignored it, I did not need any more papers. After the second bill, I called them, this time they found my record (based on the account number), but I was owing them $12 dollars, for the extra papers they delivered to me. I told them I will not pay for something I did not ask. Now I received bill from Coast to Coast collection agency. it's not about the money, I just feel I was scamed.

San Jose Mercury Newsincessant hang up calls

After canceling a subscription (prior to the end of the paid period) a representative of the SJ Mercury News called and tried to get me to re-subscribe to which I said no thanks. I got another call at which time I said emphatically NO! They have continued to call my number and say nothing, some low breathing then a hang up. Its happened too many times to be a coincidence. the callers number shown on my caller ID is [protected]. I have reported this to the FTC.

San Jose Mercury News — annoying phone calls and repeat billings

I ordered a one year subscription to the daily SJ Mercury for home delivery. The purchase was made from a...