The Mercury News Logo

The Mercury News

Having problems with The Mercury News?

The Mercury News Customer Service Contacts

4 N. Second Street, Suite 800
San Jose, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with The Mercury News Customer Service. Initial The Mercury News complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for The Mercury News above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about The Mercury News. Discuss the issues you have had with The Mercury News and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

The Mercury NewsLogging in

I all most always have problems accessing my ongoing subscription to the paper. I enter the my account url and who knows where it will take me. I just signed in again and it has taken me to the search engine for subscribing. Some times when I access the emails that are sent to me it sends me to make a subscription. I just got notice thanking me for my monthly payment and I can't even get to the paper. If this type of problem continues I will be canceling my subscription very soon.

San Jose Mercury Newsfailure to acknowledge advertised rate

I tried to sign up for an introductory offer for digital access only, 7 days a week for $0.99 for 1st month, $9.95 a month thereafter. It would not let me complete the process. The button showed a red icon indicating not valid. I can't push it. I tried phoning and none of the people I talked with understood the problem. In addition, they would not even acknowledge the introductory rate. I was told they could not authorize the rate offered. So, it appears you (1) Have a faulty webpage or (2) your staff is incompetent or (3) you are guilty of fraudulent advertising.

The bottom line is that your introductory rate is not available by phone or online.

I tried with three different browsers on Window 10

The Mercury Newsreceiving sunday paper and requesting it stop

You are delivering a Sunday newspaper (hard copy) to my door every Sunday for the past two months. I did NOT request nor ever order this service. I am requesting you STOP delivering this paper to me. I am throwing it away immediately, but it is a nuisance. It is also a security threat as people and burglars can see if I am gone for any extended period. Contact me for my street address on this delivery. Email: [protected]@gmail.com

The Mercury NewsSan Jose mercury Sunday only delivery problem

I am a long time San Jose Mercury News customer. I am 91 years old semi disabled, have requested to have my Sunday paper delivered on my front porch (which has an easy access to). I have made numerous complaints re: this issue (my records will verify this}. there was a time (a year or so ago I cancelled for this reason).I came back with the same request, for a time my request was granted. Now, for some reason, the carrier will not comply. i have called each week, have been assured carrier would be notified.
        No avail.Now, the past two Sundays the paper has been dropped at the end of my driveway on the curb.!!! maybe you can explain the reason for this. I do not want to cancel...I have called and the young peronnel have assured me they would send message to carrier of my request. nothing has changed. please e mail me that this complaint will be looked into, and send me the results. I have been a San Jose MercuryNews customer for over 50 years. e mail:[protected]@aol.com thank you for your attention to this matter. Lorraine Daste

The Mercury Newsno paper

I can only afford the sunday paper and I really look forward to receiving it each sunday. As it was missing today I called you and was told it was a vacation hold or something like that, well what the H--- does that mean and I would like my paper as soon as possible. I have been a long time subscriber to the San Jose Mercury and always paid my bill on time so I think my paper should be on time.

Thank you Jackie Richardson.

San Jose Mercury Newssan jose mercury news delivery to disabled person

I am writing on behalf of my neighbor who is in his early 80s. He has been a subscriber for years and loves his morning paper and has been very grateful to have it delivered to his front door.
            Problem. His morning paper is consistently ending up a couple of houses away. Sometimes under a neighbor's car but never in front of my neighbor's actual house.
            Why this is a problem: 1) my neighbor's has increasing sever heart failure. Very hard for him to walk a distance to get his morning paper. 2) I travel for work and am often gone so cannot consistently pick up paper for him. Solution: deliver the paper to his front porch. Not so difficult. Just toss the paper with a little more heft, for goodness sake!

The Mercury Newsdelivery

Please read all the complaints from the last month unresolved through today. I am tired calling every day only to hear I am sorry from complaint taker. I have never received a replacement paper.Wait on the phone 30 to 40 minutes. Vic and Darlene Cardoza. 831.661.5979. Simple to resolve paper deliver/Covered, I pay everything is ok. please have a Supervisor call us and resolve once and for all.

San Jose Mercury Newskiosk subscription scam

I was told at a sporting event that I was signing up for the newspaper for $14.95 per month. They were giving away a team blanket that I liked. I specifically asked if I could cancel right away, and he did tell me I could adding, "We hope to see you keep it at least two weeks to pay for the cost of the blanket."
                No confirmation, and no newspaper was ever delivered.
                After 2 months I called to get refund - It is their policy not to issue refunds. I feel like this is a total unethical scam; bait and switch.
                On the phone I was told I have "online only" subscription (was told I was getting the paper delivered) for minimum 5 months (Was told I could cancel at any time) for a cost of $14.95 per month. For 14.95? This ain't Netflix.
                I was told by Melissa the Supervisor that my case would be sent to billing, and they would make a decision. When asked when I would be notified of this decision, I was told that they do not contact anyone with the decision. (I know how this will go).
                I am forced to give them my money for a service I will never receive, and at this point a service I done even want. HELP! They have me by my sensitive areas!

The Mercury Newsthe mercury news newspaper delivery

We signed up for the paper with a kid raising money for college almost 2 years ago. We received the paper for a couple months and then it stopped coming. We have been charged 2x per month (which is a double charge!) for over a year for the paper and have not received a single paper after the initial 3 months! I have tried to call numerous times but was placed on hold so long I could no longer stay on the phone, tried to have you call back instead of staying on hold but never received a call or was disconnected so that I was never able to get through to cancel our subscription. We have paid a lot of money for no product.
                  We like to support local news organizations but this has been a complete scam. I see that we are by no means the only victims of this scam as well. We would like a refund for the past year of our payments to you. The account is under Eric Stimpson [protected] Stierlin Rd Apt 9).

The Mercury NewsI never ordered the paper — they throw it anyway

and refuse to stop! no matter how many times I call and complain.

My guess is 1, they want more crime, say you are going on vacation, thieves will know no one is home. Cowabunga $$!

guess number 2: they tell the liquor companies and whatnot, they have an exaggerated number of subscribers, so they get more money for adds.

(3) As the kids say, I am being trolled. ha ha.

(4) Fraud, corruption. Salesmen are getting bonuses by making up "sales."

(5) absolutely, an intentional effort to INCREASE our carbon footprint unnecessary, e.g., cut down more trees, melt more ice caps, increase the ozone level and decrease world oxygen. Even if I liked the Merc News, in the past 15-20 years, couldn't I more efficiently read it online???? Why throw garbage under my front lawn sprinkler?

• Je
                        jeff t Dec 12, 2019

Same for me. SJ Mercury News has been delivering the Sunday paper without my consent. Have not subscribed to them for over 5 years. Suddenly 2 months ago started leaving the paper in front every Sunday. Impossible to reach them to ask to stop. Guess it is useless since you say they do not stop even if I reached someone at the paper! What happened to you in the end? Call the police or sue them in small claims?

San Jose Mercury Newssubscription charges in conflict with my directions

I requested -- in 2018 --to cancel my paper delivery subscription because of the high cost (>$600/y).
                      The San Jose Mercury News informed me that I was charged for 1y and the subscription cannot be cancelled with prorated refund. They stated this issue was nonnegotiable. I directed them not to renew me in 2019.

I recently attempted to sign up for digital only access at $9.99 / mo.

The Mercury News informed me that they continued to send the paper to me even after the paper delivery subscription expired, and I owe them $150. They informed me that I must pay this before digital access could occur, and their position is nonnegotiable.

In my opinion, the position of this company in both cases that I must pay for a service I do not want is unethical, and treating a more than 10y customer with a response that the issues are nonnegotiable is appalling, especially considering that I was attempting to continue a customer relationship with the San Jose Mercury News.

Josy Ryan May 31, 2019

More than 30 days ago, I canceled our subscription due to delivery problems. I had reported them time and time again.
                          When I called, I was told there would be a refund coming for the unused time of subscription. Today, I was told by phone that refunds are not available and I would not be getting one. I will publish my complaint on my next door account to let everyone know the unethical practices and extremely poor customer service the Mercury offers. We have be subscribers since 1957 and will never resubscribe unless a refund is afforded us.
                          Louis Ryan
                          14431 Miranda Court
                          Los Altos Hills, CA 94022
                          [protected]

The Mercury Newssjmn subscription

I subscribed to SJMN online for yearly subscription in October 2018. I got the confirmation email with the order details. In April 2019, suddenly the paper deliveries stopped. When I contacted the customer service, I was told that, though, they have taken the money for annual subscription in October 2018, they have applied it for some other balance which I am not aware and never asked for any deliveries. The customer service acknowledged that what they did was without my knowledge and maybe illegal but they did not help me correct the record. I am trying to dispute this through my credit card company and will see what happens. But try to stay clear of SJMN and don't get fooled by their online subscription sign up. They will take your money and not provide you the services.

Apr 18, 2019

The Mercury News — mercury news delivery

For the second time in three weeks I have found my Mercury news under my pickup transmission which forced me...

The Mercury Newssunday paper

For two weeks in a row the tv guide has not been in the sunday paper. Last weekend I went to several locations and checked over 50 papers, no tv guide.
                          Monday I called customer service. After I explained how I spent extra gas and time and paying for two papers, there was no offer to make it right for a regular customer.
                          As a retired person that still reads the paper, and depends on the sports section in the tv guide, this is a drag to deal with.

RESOLVED

• The Mercury News's response · Apr 19, 2019

Thank you for your interest in TV Week.

We found that the overwhelming majority of people buying the Sunday newspaper at our newsstands were not reading the TV Week, so printing thousands of extra copies was very wasteful. Therefore, we decided to remove the TV Week from single copy sales.

However, you can still purchase the TV Week along with a 7-day home delivery subscription and we can offer you a special low rate. We have a great introductory rate of $11 per month for 7-day home delivery plus $12 per year for the TV Book. This is a substantial discount over our standard rate of $14 per week for 7-day home delivery. It’s also cheaper than our standard rate of $4 per week for Sunday home delivery.

If you want to take advantage of this offer, please call [protected] and we can setup your subscription.

Thank you for being a loyal reader.

The Mercury News — bay area news group

I've been getting the San Jose Mercury News for over 50 years and have accepted most print changes throughout...

The Mercury News — subscription services

I thought I had paid for one yr of mercury news, but in Oct I recieved usps mail that i had to pay for month...

The Mercury News — cancelled subscription

I have been a subscriber to your paper for nearly 40 years. In June of 2018 we received our bill for about...

San Jose Mercury Newslight print in newspaper

I've just returned to the mercury's newspaper delivery service. The print is so light i'm having trouble reading it!! i'm a senior and i just spoke to a friend who stopped delivery because he couldn't read it either! i don't know who to complain to! are they trying to save ink??? i havn't even gotten my first bill and i'm ready to cancel so this is serious stuff! hope you can reach the right upper management people for me. Thanks

San Jose Mercury News — delivering a sj mercury 1 day per week when 7 days per week was agreed to

At a SF Baseball game, last month I subscribed to a 7 day per week physical delivery of the SJ Mercury New...

San Jose Mercury News — subscription to news paper which never was delivered!

I signed up over phone on May 20th, 2017 for a 5 month subscription. I never received any paper. I called up...