Menu
Tempur-Pedic North America
reviews & complaints

Tempur-Pedic North America
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

45 complaints
12 resolved 33 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Tempur-Pedic North America. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
4:06 am

Tempur-Pedic North America - Refused to refund money paid after 3 days of payment and the product was not even delivered

hi I paid for a mattress last friday evening at a dreams store on part finance. the total cost of the mattress and 2 pillows came to £2223.00 (mattress - £2129.00 and pillows £80.74). I paid a deposit of £446.00 on my card and the balance of £1777.00 was on 0% finance.
But on Sunday I found the same mattress at at outlet store for £1345.00.
due to the big price variable (£784.00) I called dreams to cancel the order as i had not received the delivery which was scheduled for the following weekend..
They said they might try and price match the order which i was fine with but they refused to do so when i told them that it was an outlet store.
Now they are saying they cant refund my amount or cancel my order as it is written in a contract that this cannot be cancelled.
I never received any information on such a clause when i was sold the matteress!
I dont even have a copy of this contract. When i asked them to give to me in writing that they cannot cancel the contract they refused and said they could now give me a copy of contract which states that!
when i paid for the bed i only received a finance contract which is retractable within 14 days and a pre-order confirmation slip! and Nowhere in any document given to me at the point of purchase did it state that this was a non cancel-able contract!

I call this daylight robbery and cheating customers! When I asked to be transferred to a manager or supervisor the the lady - Asma was unavailable at that moment and said she would return my call but the answer would still be the same anyways!

This is has turned out to be more of a nightmare than a dream!

7:16 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Ridiculous and Unbelievable Way of Handling Damaged Product Sold and Member’s Complaints I bought a set of Sealy mattress from Costco on line. The mattress set was delivered to my home on 10/26/2012, with a damaged box spring. I contacted Costco several times and eventually Chelsea B., Costco.com Furniture Resolution Specialist, said it would send a brand...

View 0 more photos
8:25 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This is a report about our purchase of a Tempurpedic Mattress at Teletron, located at 10796 Bellaire Blvd, Houston, TX 77072, (281) 495-8999, for the amount of 8, 117.67 charge on September 17, 2012. Teletron claims that it is the Elite Dealer for Tempur-Pedic manufacturer and advertise on TV as well as on youtube about the 90 day free-trial (see...

View 0 more photos
V
4:28 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I started sleeping on a Tempurpedic “Memory Foam” mattress in 2001. Within a short period of time I developed a cough that woke me in the middle of the night sometime between 1:30 and 3:00 AM. I would cough uncontrollably for 20-40 minutes to the point of choking from excessive mucus. For almost an entire ten year period in which I slept on a Tempurdedic...

Tempur-Pedic North America - Denial of credit

I went online to order a new mattress from Tempur Pedic. They provide financing through Wells Fargo. I was surprisingly turned down and called Tempur to find out what my options were. They gave me the number to Wells Fargo and I spoke with a representative at Wells Fargo who told me I was turned down because I had other accounts with available credit. HUH ! I am Like what does that mean? Seriously, so I am either suppose to close my other credit accounts, use them up to the maximum and then Wells Fargo will approve me for the loan on my mattress? This makes no sense at all. Wells Fargo is the only financier that offers the interest free account with Tempur Pedic and now they are closing the doors and me. I have had a Wells Fargo account in the past and believed that they were an upstanding fair company but now any time i need credit and Wells Fargo is the bank providing the financing I will decline it myself. That's It no more with Wells Fargo...

N
Nov 29, 2011 11:24 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

In November of 2007 I went to sleepys to purchase a pillowtop bed. The salesmen were hounding me hard, especially after I informed them that I had very bad back problems.They talked me into purchasing a tempur-pedic.I paid over 5, 000 dollars including delivery. Please tell me why they claim this is such a good mattress when I havent had a good nights sleep since I purchased it, And know it has split. Someone please help this mattress is supposed to have a twenty year warranty.but I cant get no satisfaction.

Nov 28, 2010 5:02 pm

Bought a memory foam tempur pedic mattress about 2 years ago. My husband started to experience dry throat every night. I complained to the manufacturer & they said the best they could do was exchange it for another similar mattress. What good is that?
Now, about 1 1/2 years ago, I started experiencing severe allergies & asthma, which we are relating to the mattress also.
Went online & saw many complaints from people about getting sick due to this mattress. It releases tons of chemicals, including petroleum, and we are breathing that in.
We've decided to sleep in another room for now.
I know the company has gotten away with not helping people out when they have these severe reactions.
Anyone interested in doing a class action suit? I thing there are enough of us out there.

N
Nov 29, 2011 11:40 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I am very happy I read your complaint, I experienced alot of itching after reciving my bed also.I had no idea thjs could come from a suppose to be new mattress, I donot sleep on the bed without blankets on top of it.because up to this day I am still itching, I also wrote a complaint please read it.Thanks,

2:42 pm

Tempur-Pedic North America - Lousy mattress

We bought a Tempur-pedic cloud. It felt like we were sleeping on the pavement|. We went round and round with Mattress World in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and finally after 4 months, just threw the mattress out|. We could no longer stand to not sleep

They told us to "jump around on the mattress" to break it in.. They told us maybe our room was too cold|. (It was 70 degrees Farenheit);. There was one small strip about 4 inches in from the edge that felt like the bed in the showroom, but no one would come out and look at it'.

There is NO WARRANTY?. Don't believe the TV ads.

Mar 27, 2012 6:07 pm

So why do they keep selling millions of them still? Sorry you did not like yours. They would have exchanged it for you. Why did you throw it out?

11:46 am

Tempur-Pedic North America - Bad experience

I needed a new mattress after a recent hospitalization and was excited to try a Temper-pedic mattress. Wow, was that ever a huge disappointment! The entire experience left me frustrated and sore!

My husband selected one of their best mattresses, and from the moment we first tried to sleep on it we were horribly uncomfortable! With all their advertisements featuring accounts from satisfied customers, I was sure it be the best night's sleep I'd ever had. No way! Sleeping on a slab of bare concrete would've been better!

Words cannot express the depths of our disappointment! It was the most uncomfortable, unyielding and hard mattress I've ever laid on in my life. My husband contacted them in order to arrange for its return, only to have to spend several long, argumentative phone calls with the company in order to get them to agree to pick it up and refund our money. Eventually, after being promised return phone calls that never came and having to pursue them with phone calls of complaint, they told us that we hadn't "broken it in" as we'd been instructed to do when we purchased it.

No, we were NEVER told that we had to "break in" the mattress by walking on it for a half an hour every night before bed! We would not have agreed to such a condition of sale! My balance is very bad and I couldn't even begin to accomplish such a physical feat as that!

After much effort, we finally got them to pick up the mattress and refund our money. I've never before heard of a mattress that had to be walked on in order to break it in! These are expensive mattresses and really should come already broken-in or clearly warn the consumer of that ridiculous requirement before purchase!

V
Jul 01, 2012 4:12 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

For almost an entire ten year period in which I slept on a Tempurdedic memory foam mattress I experienced difficulties breathing, coughing, throat and sinus irritations, night sweats, etc throughout the night. Sixteen months ago I was diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). I spent nearly a decade attempting to figure out what was making me sick. After discussing my condition with two doctors, they both came up with the same explanation-- I was suffering from an allergy and or an environmental irritant.

During a visit to the doctor’s office in February 2011 the doctor asked me a question. He asked me - When I am away from home on vacation or business do I cough? I answered no, just when I am at home. He responded by saying that meant the problem originated with something in my home environment. I continued to search for the cause of the cough, breathing difficulties, night sweats, etc.

A fortuitous event occurred when I applied for and was granted a second warranty exchange on my Tempurpedic memory foam mattress. (The original mattress purchased in May 2001 was defective and I received a prior replacement.) The 2nd new replacement mattress arrived on Friday, February 24, 2012. By Monday morning, February 27 my condition had worsened dramatically and I couldn’t walk into my bedroom. The smell coming from the mattress burned my eyes and it was extremely difficult to breathe while standing in the bedroom.

(My husband also slept with me on the same Tempurpedic memory foam mattresses and he experienced night sweats and suffered from high blood pressure.)

Finally, after nearly 10 years I realized my cough, night sweats and breathing problems had to do with the mattress. I immediately removed the mattress from my bedroom into a spare bedroom and closed the door. It is almost four months since the mattress was moved to the spare bedroom and even with the windows open the strong smell in the bedroom permeates the room and prevents me from going inside for more than just a few minutes. When visitors come and I open the door the first thing anyone notices is the smell.

Within two days of not sleeping on the new Tempurpedic memory foam mattress, the majority of my problems improved significantly. Unknown to me for almost a full decade, I’ve been sleeping on bed that I believe has made me sick. One might wonder how come it took me so long to figure out the cause of my problems. The best explanation I can give is that I trusted that there are consumer product safety laws that protect me. It never occurred to me that the US Consumer Product and Safety Commission hadn’t thoroughly vetted any potential problems with the Tempurpedic memory foam material prior to its use by the American public. I assumed the bed I slept on would be safe, especially since people generally spend a third of their existence in bed. Surely our government made certain that the beds we sleep on are safe. I never gave it a moment’s thought that the bed I sleep on had the potential to make me sick. One need only stand in the room with the Tempurpedic Memory Foam Mattress a few seconds to experience the unpleasant nasty stench. It has a slight resemblance to the smell in our high school chemisty lab when we dissected a frog.

After it became obvious in February 2012 that the mattress was emitting nasty smells, I decided to go on line and research the Tempurpedic memory foam mattress. I learned that my problem was not unique. This problem has apparently been known for many years. Had I checked on line sooner, I would have found plenty of information and complaints shared by many others with similar problems.

The following is a quote taken from the website Chem-tox.com:

“The Tempurpedic was not really "endorsed" by NASA, but we were informed that it was researched by NASA but rejected for use in the space industry because of chemical volatility issues.”

G
Jun 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Why should a person have to an internet search of a new mattress. If a mattress requires a break in period, the sales person should tell the customer. Tempurpedic advertises as being good for a bad back. Most people with a bad back cannot "break in" a mattress. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Getting your money back for this poor quality mattress is like pulling teeth. We have been trying for 2 months and still the mattress is laying on my living room floor. Any one interested in pusuing class action should email me.

May 26, 2011 6:43 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Usually memory foam mattresses take at least thirty days to break in. It can be difficult to do mattress returns because of the hygeine and health issues associated with them. Also, once it's returned it cannot be sold again.

Honestly, there isn't really a problem here. One mattress, no matter how many satisfied users, isn't going to please everyone.

Your salesperson should have warned you of the breaking in required, but two minutes of internet research would have informed you as well.

Tempur-Pedic North America - Bed brings on pain

Buyers beware : we have only had our tempur-pedic bed for 5 months. My husband has slept on it fine, but I have not had a good night sleep on it once.. And for 53 years prior to this bed, I could brag on how great I slept. Since the tempur-pedic, I have been to the chiropractor about 20 times in the last few months... Neck problems, hip problems, tingling in hands, feet, waking in the middle of the night with pain!
Tempur-pedic and their retail outlets have a great marketing strategy. I began to feel like, I too was the only one who couldn't sleep on a tempur-pedic. They kept telling us, "you need to adjust to the bed", "you will feel pain initially", "it will soften up". Note: we originally bought the rhapsody, they suggested that we wait and purchase "the cloud", it would be much softer... (and expensive)... Before you know it, the 90 days are up and you are doomed... I am thinking 20 years on this bed?!?! I am writing this with the hopes that others will not fall in to this marketing strategy that tempur-pedic has going and spend $ on the bed, and then $ on the chiropractor. If you are a back only sleeper, you may enjoy this bed... If not, get your health insurance card out. We are contacting the area manager of the store we purchased from... Will we be so blessed that they will exchange it at this point?

Update by sickofbeingtired
May 10, 2011 1:22 am

Tempur-pedic responded quickly and professionally to address my concerns. I still believe, this bed is great for many, just was not right for me. Thank you again Tempur-pedic, that even after 90 days.. you want to make a customer happy - and you did!

Apr 22, 2011 10:11 pm

sorry, 90 days is 90 days, not almost twice that. just sell it second hand, take the loss and find one that suits you better.

6:02 pm

Tempur-Pedic North America - Illegal advertising

I'm very unhappy with my tempurepedic.it is so uncomfortable and hot.

I spent 3000 grand on a bed that we should use

As a devise for torture.every morning I wake up I am

Paralyzed.my lower back hurts so bad that I can't

Finish my business on the toilet without stretching

Out first.This should be illegal to charge this much

For a hunk of junk.ask those who know like the

Commercial says and I say buy an air matress or

Sleep on the sidewalk.u will be better off.

An unhappy customer,

T
Jun 14, 2012 9:10 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have one better, we bought a Tempur-Pedic Allura and after 90 days and the smell which we couldn't handle we had it swapped out under warranty but still under Mattress Firms 100 day return. The new one came today and was in cardboard and wrapped in plastic but when they opened it and set it up it had a rip in the top along with a stain on the side. Not only was there a stain but in this triangular 12'" or so stain there were dog hairs in it. I started looking more into the bed after I was told a third bed would be brought out and looked at the tag. It was dated 6-2-2012 made in Albuqurue NM, yes the tag had the incorrect spelling and it had been glued onto another tag which had ben ripped apart but sewn to the bed. As I looked under the new tag I found a date of April 26, 2012 on the permanent tag. Yes 2 months earlier.

My summation is that Mattress Firm requires any returned beds to be clean so they can rip off the permanent tags and glue on a new one which isn't even from Temper-pidic.

Yes I would agree with you class action law suit, but with my iron clad suit I am not going to partner in a class action where the first person that starts it and the attorneys get rich but will be contacting my business lawyer and own Mattress Firm when I am done with them.

A
4:14 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

For the past year I have been having horrible breathing problems. I would wake up gasping for breath, all day I'd gasp and be unable to catch a full breath. I could not understand what was happening to me. I went to the doctor but he could not find what was wrong. I stopped taking all my medicines thinking I was having a reaction to one of them. Over time...

11:48 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We bought our Deluxe Tempur-Pedic a year ago and we would not recommend it. The mattress is way too soft. It gets softer and softer throughout the night and i always wake up with major pain in my lower back. Don't buy this mattress! Don't be fooled at how good it feels in the store. We thought it felt great too. When you spend more than 5 minutes on it, you...

12:11 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Replaced Foster and Stearns pillowtop matress with Tempurpedic Cloud. Pain started from night one and now for 2 months. Both wife and I have woken up with completely numb arms for first time in 24 years. Matress is as hard as a rock and trying to sleep on side is difficult at best. Wife just had spinal fusion surgery which is why we purchased bed. The...

12:16 pm

Tempur-Pedic North America - Unable to sleep on mattress

I recently bought a tempurpedic cloud bed. I have had it 4 months and have not had a good night sleep since. It has to be the worst mattress I have ever bought and they will do nothing to make it right. I recommend that no one buys one especially from Mohr Furniture, because they do nothing to make it right.

3 comments

We recently purchased a tempurpedic mattress from Sleepys. The salesman told us we would not find a better price on our bed. The sign in the store stated "Will beat any competitors price by 20% or its free". I found the same bed for $400 less and now thier claim is that the company selling the bed is not an "authorized dealer" so therefore they do not have to honor the price guarentee. The ad hanging in the store states "competitor" not "authorized dealer" and they will not acknowledge this fact.

Sep 27, 2010 1:21 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have heard about them being quite warm. It makes sense to me, and is part of the reason why I personally won't buy one.

Sep 27, 2010 12:40 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I know a lot of people who own them and enjoy them a lot. For the first month or so after you buy it, it does take some time to soften up. Additionally, I hear the room has to be on the warm side otherwise it will get too firm.

3:17 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Tempur-Pedic North America - No fees were supposed to be charged to me!

You delived my bed to me and set it up. I do like my bed. But, you were not supposed to charge me any fees for paying it off. You told me that.
So why are you charging me fees? I am 82 and cannot afford much more and I am a widow.
I am Jo Ann Danforth and I have had your bed for a few years now.
The only compaint is the bed is so warm to sleep on, but other than that it is great. Is there any cure to render that?

Tempur-Pedic North America - Misleading sales tactics

My wife and I purchased a new mattress. The cost was over $3000.00. The salesman explained they had free financing, 3 years same as cash. (O. K.) He also explained, if we decided we didn't like the bed, we could return it after 30 days. We purchased the bed with $1000.00 cash down and financed the rest. I was led to belive that the $1000.00 cash was not refundable and would have to be used as an in store credit. I agreed to that. After the 30 day trial we decided the mattress was much to firm for us and started the return process. We picked out a different mattress that cost about $2000.00. We thought this was good, we just saved $1000.00. Times are tough we could use this money. But no, the contract I signed used the word VALUE. Here is where they get you. IF you select a item that is less than the original purchase price, then the remaining (value) will only be available as in store credit. So wheather you like it or not you (have to spend), the original purchase price of the higher priced item. So much for us saving any money. Needless to say this was my first experiance at this kind of sales tactics, and we were rather upset to find out they had us over a barrel. I am surprised it's even legal. So buyer beware at the room store you will wind up with more than you bargained for, in a bad way.

A
1:50 pm

Tempur-Pedic North America - No apologies, no effort to resolve the problem

I went to Steinhafels in Kenosha, WI to purchase a Tempur-Pedic mattress. I knew exactly what I wanted before arriving. The first bad sign was when I saw their delivery truck being towed on Hwy 50. The second, third and fourth signs occured when "Jennifer", the sales clerk, kept moving from computer terminal to computer terminal to find one that worked with a printer that also worked so she could complete the transaction. That's not the problem though. The real issue lies with the fact that I was told delivering to Burlington, WI on Saturday would not be a problem. When I was notified via email that my mattress was available for delivery, I was told they did not deliver to my area on Saturday. I explained I was told this would not be a problem when I made the purchase. "Well, we don't deliver to that area on Saturday" was the response. No apologies, no effort to resolve the problem. I can't be there for deliveries during the week. I may have to cancel the order. I will keep you posted.

B
6:18 pm

Tempur-Pedic North America - Poor quality!

I recently purchased a Tempur Pedic bed only to discover multiple factory defects in the workmanship. The removable zip off cover looked as if it was twisted on the bed and the odor coming from it was disgusting. If that wasn't bad enough, the feel of the bed was nothing like what i sampled in the showroom. I began to ponder if this was normal for this very expensive bed so i did some homework on line and discovered that quality seems to be a problem with this company. From what i understand, they recently all but disposed of their quality assurance program. In order to make sure that they were able to produce as many foam beds as possible, they put their production manager in charge of quality. Now, I have worked in manufacturing for nearly 30 years. When a company bypasses their QA department in order to push manufacturing number, you can bet that the quality of that product will be crap from that point forward. This certainly explains the defects that i received. Bottom line here is that the mattress has been returned and i will research the other mattress brands much more thoroughly before making my next purchase.

10:26 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My new Tempur-Pedic Classic is completely unsatisfactory. I don't know how well it sleeps because I've had the mattress in my house unwrapped, "airing out" for 28 days and I've never slept on it. I and my pregnant wife have been sleeping on our pull-out couch for a month now because we bought a noxious gas mat for $1, 783.95. We have compressed the mattre...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My wife and I purchased a Tempurpedic mattress from Ashley Furniture. The store displayed banners with the 90 night trial advertised. We spoked about the trial period with the Assistant Manager of the store who advised us there was a "nominal fee" of about $300 to return the mattress. After 1 month of the worst sleep we've ever had in our lives, we decided...

8:39 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

strong strong sickening odor from the material. we put the Neck pillows outside to air out... did not work...sickening odor to wake up and smell the wet rubber odor...and yes they are not returnable... DO NOT BUY these pillows.

Tempur-Pedic North America contacts