TCF Bankunfair over draft fees

R Review updated:

For the last two months I had been trying to bring my bank account and bills up to date in an economy that is troubled. I'm laid off right now and am having trouble paying bill. I'm on a budget with just enough money comming in from unemployment to pay bills. For the last two months TCF Bank had charged me over $800 in just over draft fees With my over drafts being only just over $100 total. With these fees Im having trouble living to where I dont want to live anymore. I had just gotten off the phone with TCF Bank with a $5.87 over draft and some how the way the suffle the money around I'm stuck paying $210.00 extra dollars on top bringing the total to $215.87 how can this be? Its all on the way they suffeld my money around and I cant figure out how they keep getting away with this. when I call them they give me a run around and tell me its how I spend my money like its my fault. Ok I went over $5.87 so charge me the $35.00 over draft fee but dont times it 6 times. Is anyone else having trouble with TCF Bank un fair overdrafts? How can we boycott TCF Bank? Is it fair that I have to pay $210.00 on top of my $5.87 over draft???? I'm so sick here is my email if anyone can help me or if you want to share the nonsence that TCF Bank is doing to you. [protected]@yahoo.com please share with me your TCF Bank problems and if there is anyway to shut TCF down??

• H
      Jul 02, 2009

I agree this bank loves to take money from ppl in overdraft fees. They took over $400 bucks in fees last month when i had money pending...tho it takes 3 days for atm deposit to clear all the sudden?! ya right i'm done with them!!! Plus their emplyees are not perfessonal. All together this bank sucks and I would never refer them to anyone!!!

• K
      Jul 07, 2009

Yes! I am having the same problem!!! The online banking is a joke! The tellers have no idea what they are doing and according to the Bank Manager where I live all the banking policies changed in April. I have also noticed that they hold all the pending transactions and then let everything through at once. They are stealing my unemployment check with the constant overdraft fees!!! I have my deposit slips that show my available balance, I have printouts of what my online record is telling me, and the overdraft statements showing me what my available balance was at the time of the transaction and nothing seems to coinside! I am closeing my account and going purely to cash!

• K
      Jul 07, 2009

I just read RMR and I am contacting the State of Minnesota because when they see the documentation I have they will agree that something is not right! I will let you know how it goes...

• M
      Jul 09, 2009

Yes, TCF has become really shady. Just last week, I had about $100 in my account and charged around $80 over the weekend. On Monday all the transaction were pending still and I had 4 items post which brought my balance to around $60, more then enough to cover the other pending charges. So around 7-8pm on Monday (which is considered the next business day for the bank) I pulled out $100 from the ATM figuring my payroll was coming in over night and it will cover the available balance that went into the negative. But no, TCF decided to turn the transactions around and put the $100 withdrawal first before the pending charges and 4 posted transactions that happened in the morning and say I caused my available balance to go into the negative for the day and those 4 posted items were paid for by TCF which they charged me $140 in overdraft fees, even though my payroll came in overnight and put my balance way in the positive. I called them up and the guy hung up on me when I asked to talk to a supervisor, so I marched up to my local branch and was able to get the branch manager to refund 3 of the 4 fees. If they didn't think it was messed up, she would not have refunded any.

• S
      Sep 13, 2009

At least your not with Bank of America, its much worse. I got charged 35usd over a 30cent overcharge, ontop of the fact I had money in the savings that they were suppose to take the money from to cover it. Then they decided to hold money so the 'store' charged each order seperate. Giving 2 additional overdraft fee's which 'were' covered completely. All in all its costing me 180usd over a 40usd overdraft. with 5overdraft fee's and still waiting on the 'extended' because I can't make a payment on it until after the first of next month..

• Y
      Dec 11, 2009

The overdraft charges on pending transaction are so dubious. The funny thing is they do not apply a pending credit to one's account if it comes against a pending charge. The logic is warped. If you are going to charge me an overdraft fee for a charge that has not even been posted yet; but, when you deny me the same logic when it is a pending credit to my account, you in effect vitiate the whole argument for charging an overdraft fee on a pending charge. A pending charge has not been paid to the merchant so why charge the customer if that throws an account into negative. Something has to be done with these banks. This is what you all need to know. They will reverse the overdraft fees if the charge is reversed by the merchant. If it is something you bought and you return it for the full amount, the charge should be reversed. A lot of people don't know that.