Swinton Insurancewithholding no claims certificate

I have had 2 very bad experiences with Swinton Insurance, the first being in 2009 they owned up to it being their fault after they didn't take the payment when they said they were going to and then told me I was in arrears and tried to cancel my policy.
Today I received a letter saying I owe £157 when on the 6th Jan of this year I received a letter saying due to me cancelling the policy the debt had been settled and that no further payment was due.
My new insurer are now wanting proof of no claims which Swinton are refusing to release as I allegedly owe them money.
I am furious, and they wonder why people go elsewhere.