Super 8 Worldwidefire in bathroom of our room 213

A Aug 18, 2019

August 18th, 2019 at 12:37 am. We were in town from New mexico visiting family for a reunion. When returning to our room around 12:30 am, we opened the door with smoke pouring out of the room. After getting the motel attendant, we removed all items from the room and were covered in soot. All of our bathroom items were covered in ash and smoke soot, because my husband is a geologist, he had his business laptop there, as I also had my laptop because I am a full time student. Both are covered in soot even after cleaning them. The attendent did not call the fire department but only the manager, who simply moved us to another room on the third floor. After cleaning our personal belongings the best we could, none of us could sleep with the thought of the fire possibly still burning somewhere in the walls or ceiling for they were not inspected, instead lights were turn out and the door was shut, with a room full of smoke. The smoke had barrowed out into the hallway, and the attendant simply opened the back entrance door to air out the hall. Against code, NO smoke detector went off, no alarm, no inspection, no alart to local fire marshell. After this the we were told the manager would want to talk to us in the morning, when checking out he was no where to be found. Instead we actually had to call and talk to him. He told my husband "to retify the situation he would refund our money for the nights stay" (Mike Patel). We do not feel this retified anything, for we have alot of damages. I will be going to the doctor tomorrow if my cough and throat do not get better by the morning. My son and I have asthma, with no choice we had to remove our items from the smoke filled room. Everything in our room was damaged due to the smoke and ash in the bathroom. I do not feel retified at all considering that we have about $5500 of just electronics that are needed damaged. We would like our stuff the way it was before this incident.

ApriI Goshern Aug 18, 2019

I just found out how the fire started. My son was in the washroom, and he started the fire(accidentlly) after he was playing with matches he found on the street.

April Goshern Aug 18, 2019

@ApriI Goshern Either way safety protocols were not followed.

April Goshern Aug 19, 2019

We weren't at the hotel when the fire started

April Goshern Aug 19, 2019

@ApriI Goshern I did not write this!! My son is 17 and he was with us and about 22 other people away from the hotel at families house