Sundance Vacationsethical behavior

F

First, sundance vacations is not a scam. They sell wholesale weeks of vacations at a price, that in some cases, is lower than what you would pay retail. There are other limitations that will drive the cost higher than retail.

With that being said, please allow me to explain the sundance experience. After being called many times by their telemarketing department, you finally agree to attend a “one hour” presentation. Plan on spending 1.5 to two hours at the facility. When you arrive you check in and are escorted into a presentation room. The presentation lasts between 45 minutes and 1 hour. The will attempt to explain how much money you can save by using them for your vacation accommodations. They will first give you a price for 25 weeks of vacations. But, if you buy “today only, ” they add in another 5 weeks of vacations and lower the price by $5, 000.00. At the time of this writing, the 30 weeks of vacations is $15, 000.00. That equates to $500.00 per week. However, if you plan on traveling during peak season (which seems to be almost all the time), holidays, or special events, you spend an additional $30.00 per night. That's another $270.00 per week. Finally, you must pay an additional $99.00 to book the week. Add it all up and you are spending $869.00 for your accommodations. That equals $124.15 per night. Now you still might think that's a good price for a condo for a week. Oh, before I forget, they claim you can get additional additional bedrooms for another $30.00 per night. Since they claim the condos will sleep up to 4, if you want 5 or 6 people, you spend another $270.00 making your cost $1139.00. That's $162.71 per night. Now, I can book two hotel rooms in peak season for approximately $60.00 per night per room. That's $120.00 for two rooms. Multiply that by 7 nights and the cost is $840.00 plus taxes. Assuming a tax of 7% you spend an additional $58.80. Total cost - $898.00. By not using sundance, I save $241.00.

Next you are escorted into a room by a salesperson. After a recap of the presentation, they ask you to buy.in my opinion, don't do it. They will go get a “manager” who will show you a smaller package at a “lower” price. When you do the math, it's still $500.00 per week with all the additional cost described above. Again, in my opinion, don't do it. Finally they escort you to yet another sales person who will attempt to sell you something even smaller.in the end, the real costs remain the same.

Sundance also offers their “excess inventory.” these are weeks in locations where they have not booked their properties. They offer them at $198.00 per week. This is a good deal.

But let's talk about quality. Sundance's guarantee states that your accommodations will be “clean, comfortable, convenient.” not a bad thing. Further they state, “if your accommodations do not meet these standards, simply contact tan's total vacation services department to request a replacement vacation week be added to your account. Your additional vacation week is, however, subject to the usual reservation fees/procedures.” in other words, you pay another $30.00 per night for additional bedrooms, another $30 per night for peak, holidays, and special events, and another $99.00 to book the week. That's another $639.00 out of your pocket because they can't clean their rooms.

Next lets talk about the actual accommodations. They claim that each condo will sleep 4. Two in a bed and two on a hide-a-bed. I have first hand personal experience in one of their “condos.” I stayed at the sandbars on cape cod. Yes, the room was clean. However, it was just that, a room. It had a bed, but no hide-a-bed. There was a small, well equipped kitchen with a very small counter you could sit at. The counter was barely big enough for two. It was claimed to be an “efficiency” condo. To me, it was a motel room with a kitchen. I've stayed at motels with large floor space than this with the same quality, comfort and convenience. Only spent less money.

Last, let's talk about ethics. During the presentation they claim it's a today only special. That's a bunch of cow pies. Their policy is that they cannot sell to the same person if they have been to a previous presentation in the last 6 months. If someone attends 6 months and one day after their presentation, they can sell them a package.in other words, they lied. Further, the target market, as it was explained to me, is low to medium income people who cannot afford to take many vacations. Hmm … people have to spend more money, but cannot afford to take vacations anyways. Just doesn't seem right. Also, what about the hidden cost of having to finance the cost to enroll. Spend even more money they cannot afford. I'll leave it up to you to determine if this is ethical behavior.

By now, you may be asking yourself, “how does he know this?” easy, I worked for sundance vacations. I'm sorry to all of you who bought from me. I needed to make a living. I'm not proud of what I did. Hopefully this will prevent others from making a mistake.

• Ni
    NikiW Nov 15, 2010

Does anyone know what to say to them in order to get your money refunded?

• Po
    poco Jul 20, 2010

Unfortunately, WTC used different language...never was the word cancellation brought up or writter. However there is a clause that read as this: "I understand that membership in WTC is for vacation and travel use only and does not involve real estate tranactions, therefore by SC law (I am in TN), there is no right of recission. I acknowledge that no representaion has been made as to investment or resale value and that the membership benefits are for my personal use and enjoyment and that of my family and friends. Your reserve the right to rent your conformation out, however, WTC and Vacations Plus do not provide this as a service" I feel very foolish if I was suppose to understand the word rescission. I heard it only once in a real estate trans. Why couldn't they just use the word "cancellation" and wasn't I supposed to have a separate form explaining cancellations.

I am a disabled widow which I disclosed immediately and at least 6 times during the hour I was trying to get out because of the agent being so confusing. She told me the sale was only today. I caved to get out initialed all I was told...without explaination from the agent on the rescisssion clause. I have a witness that this was not explained to us. I when back to the office within less than 24 hours and told the owner I wanted out . He suggested I let him book one trip with him. I refused because I thought I would be pulled into this further. My CC company is disputing the charge...what are my chances of recovery. I emailed numerous letters telling him I want to get out. Any questions and reviews I asked for he would respond to. He want me to call him...What should I do. Should I write a cancellation letter even though my CC company told me they are handling it? So ashamed and scared.
    I'm on a fixed income and really cannot travel alone.

Poco

• Fi
    Fitzgb Jul 20, 2010

Wisconsin has a 3 day Right of Recision. Call Sundances New Client Services and tell them you want to cancel. By law, they are required to cancel. They will try to sell you something even smaller, but stick to your guns and tell them you want to cancel. State law trumps Corporate law. Eventually they will cancel your contract. It's important that you do this in the first 3 days after you purchase.

• Po
    poco Jul 18, 2010

I think that just happened to me and I tried to cancel within 24 hrs. Actually less. I was never given a cancellation policy or told about their cancellation policy in layman terms. The language in the "membership" form another language change to make you think you are joining a club and not signing a contract. what ever happened to you? Did you seek legal advice, to you have any advice for me? I'd appreciate it ... I did stop paymeny on CC

• Ne
    newyork81 May 21, 2010

omg.. is there a way to get out of the contract