Sun Tan Cityhardball tactics, horrible spraytan

Hello,

I am writing this complaint because while I agreed to a price for a spray on tan, I did not get what I wanted at all. I want to start this off by not blaming the sales person for the hardball tactics that she took with me but to express that I am a little upset with her as my issue may have been caused by not cleaning the booth good enough.
I walked into this store because it was the closest to my home and I was flying to Florida the next day. I specifically told the person at the counter that I only wanted ONE spray tan the CHEAPEST I can get and that I didn’t need any other tanning services because, well it was almost winter and I live in Indiana and I don’t need to look “tan” all year long. I just wanted a spray tan to visit Florida because I knew we would hit the springs down there and I didn’t want to stick out.

First she took me on a tour of the place after repeatedly telling her I didn’t need to see anything. She then tried to sign me up for different packages, beds and spray, just a bed, spray for a year, bed tanning for the rest of the year ect ect ect.

Finally we got down to the price of my spray tan. I usually go to the place right by my hair salon and it’s locally owned and its 19.99 for the mid color perfume so I don’t smell like chemicals and free lotion to put on my hands and feet. While I was not expecting this exceptional price from a chain that just showed up in town, I was pretty darn surprised when the cost was something around 40 dollars for ONE session!!

So I reluctantly agree, I figure, I wasted this poor girl’s time and gimmick I better at least let her sell me a tan. I know the prices and the tour and everything are things that she is forced to push on me from corporate and I really didn’t want her to waste all that time and not get a sale. I have out my debit card and I’m trying to pay her. She ends up up selling me two “ try me” lotions ( again, I got suckered in because I felt like I wasted her time)

So I get in the booth. The thing that really bothered me was that the spray wasn’t a fine mist; it was more like what your hairspray does when it’s clogged. This is caused when the sprayer is not cleaned correctly after each tanner. When I got out I was horribly spotted and looked like I had freckles where the tan didn’t spray evenly. I rubbed my arm to see if maybe I could “rub it in” like I was told to do, and the tan just streaked like no other. I decided not to try to rub anything else in because a streaked arm and spots all over were bad enough.
I asked the girl at the counter if this was normal and she said it would even out as the tan (what I call) baked. Usually you get optimal coverage and color in 8 hours. I was especially careful during this time and didn’t dare go to bed until my 8 hours were up. I woke up the next morning and I looked HORRIBLE. The streak on my arm was way more pronounced, and the spot where it spurted out looked like huge freckeles on my skin. I called my husband in and his first reaction was “what happened to you” so I got in the shower. I did not scrub or anything, I was attempting to wash the excess off my skin to see if maybe things would be less pronounced. While a little washed off, not enough came off to make me look less like a spotted, streaked, tanned monster. I waited two more hours and got in and just tried to scrub it all off.

I’m upset that I paid 40 dollars for the WORST spray tan that I EVER got in my life and ended up having to wash it off the next day.

• Po
    poora91 Apr 17, 2011

It's obvious that this company keeps a close eye on the complaints boards, and it is good of them to actully address the above issue, but just keep a close eye on future postings that may seem like a complaint upon first view, but are in fact 'clever' attempts to advertise. That imo is pretty underhanded.

• Sun Tan City Mar 24, 2011

Aurorasis,

We are so sorry to hear about your recent experience in our salon and we apologize that it was less than perfect. Our mission is to make sure your experience is above par and clearly, it was not.

We would love the opportunity to speak with you further. As we are sure you can imagine, feedback for any company is great because it helps to identify areas for improvement.

At Sun Tan City, we have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and we want that to hold true for you so please feel free to contact our Client Services Department([protected] or suntancity.com) and we will make sure to get you taken care of.

Thank you in advance for the opportunity to assist you!

Sun Tan City