Complaints & Reviews

Scam artist

BUYERS BEWARE!!! DO NOT ORDER FROM STEVE'S BLINDS AND WALLPAPER EVER!!!
I had recently found some border paper that I liked and decided to order it online versus in the store I found it at in an effort to save some money. When I got the paper, it was a completely different color. The product in the store was more blue and the paper I received was more green. All information was the same. When I called to send it back I quickly understood "it was too good to be true". Here is how they would RIP YOU OFF! The border paper was 3 rolls @ $20.44 for a total of $61.31 I was told that there would be 30% restocking fee AND a $10 shipping fee so they would refund me $28.39!!! I bet he makes money hand over fist at that rate of ripping people off! You charge me $61.31, send me some crap that is nothing like the appearance on the site, or as I previously have seen, get back some product, and keep more than half of my money!!! Scam artist! No wonder you charge a 30% restocking fee and charge a ridiculous shipping fee on returns...that's obviously how you make your money! People order products and you send out crap and keep their money! Receipt C195695

[Resolved] satisfaction guaranteed

Do not buy anything from steve's blinds.
I ordered blinds from Steve's Blinds with 100% satisfaction guaranteed, they were not special order but were a listed product. When I received the blinds they were not what I had ordered. I ordered what I thought were pull down retractable blinds and what they sent me were chain driven which would not work for my application. For these I sent them $72.59. I paid the shipping and returned the blinds without even opening the wrapping once I saw that they were chain driven and would not work. I waited for my refund which did not come and then I called them to find out about the return I was told that I would not get my money back but would receive store credit which I do not need. It has been a terrible experience and I would not advise anyone to order anything from this so-called place of business!

Steve Katzman Aug 02, 2010

My name is Steve Katzman and I am the President of Steves Blinds and Wallpaper. I apologize for the trouble you have encountered with our company. Please forward your order number or contact information to [email protected] and I will be more than happy to investigate the details of your situation. I assure you I will promptly get back to you with a response. Please give us an opportunity to address your concerns. Sincerely, Steve Katzman

Damaged order

Well I am writing this review to let people know to shop with another online blind company. My experience so far has been horrible. I received damaged mini blinds and have contacted customer service. Complying with their request I sent pictures immediatly and now I wait. I called to see when my blinds would be remade and the rude and evasive customer svc. person told me they would get back to me in 24 hrs. Well guess what they haven't. I also think they sent me the wrong color and have ordered samples. Well I never receive all the samples in that order, most are missing. So Don't waste Your time on this mess. So far so bad.

[Resolved] Failure to deliver order

Placed an order for Graber Blinds on May 18th. On June 8th, Steves had no idea where my order was but I couldn't cancel it. I called Graber directly and had them search Steve's orders and there was nothing. There was also nothing under my name, address, phone, email or product. My order was no where to be found. I called Steve's back but they insisted that the order was in with an alternate manufacturer who they could not disclose. I'll let you come to your own conclusions. I cancelled my order and called my credit card company to reverse the charges. They were more than happy to do so.

Steve Katzman Aug 02, 2010

• Ka
    Katyjeanne Mar 24, 2011

I placed an order on March 14 for a sample that was $5.00. On March 22nd, I sent an email (order #, etc.) to Steve's to find out why I had not received my sample and when should I expect to receive it. I have not heard a word. This is unacceptable customer service. If I do get my sample, I will not order from Steve's. I am not happy!

[Resolved] Flaw in paper

I ordered four single rolls of wallpaper. When I got the second role about four feet into the roll there was a misprint and I had to cut off the paper which caused me to have to patch one roll of wallpaper. I had a trunk to put in front of the patch so I don't think it will be noticed. If I was doing a wall that required to be in the open it would have been a bigger problem.

• Di
    Diane Bevacqua Nov 16, 2011

Ordered a wallpaper pattern online and it was paid for upfront. Product was to ship within 24-48 hours and walls were custom painted to match wallpaper. After over 2 days Steve's was contacted to verify date of delivery. I was informed that they had "problems" between their company and the Manufacturer and didn't know if they could even get the pattern. I was never notified of a delivery delay or of unavailability of product and wouldn't have known, if they weren't contacted. Steve's wanted to try and find a similar pattern if possible. I asked for a refund and was told that paperwork would be submitted, rather than getting a credit in the same timely manner that they charged my credit card. I will not order from Steve's again and will find a business in the community instead. I am now stuck with walls that don't match anything.

Steve Katzman Nov 17, 2011

Please accept our sincerest apologies. I have reviewed the notes attached to your order. It looks like you placed your order on Monday 11/14. We immediately placed the order with the manufacturer of the wallcovering. I see that you called us in the afternoon of Wednesday on 11/16 at 3:08pm. Unfortunately this same morning we were informed by the manufacturer Blonder Home located in Cleveland Ohio that they were closing their operation because their bank withdrew their line of credit. We were caught totally by surprise and when you called were trying to figure out if we could still somehow get your wallpaper. According to the notes attached to your order we processed a credit at 4:32pm to your PayPal account. We feel absolutely terrible about this situation. If you find an alternative wallpaper selection please let me know and I will pass on our friends and family discount as well as personally supervise the placing of your order. Sincerely, Steve Katzman

• Ro
    Robbed - Blind Sep 18, 2012

I ordered blinds for my entire newly constructed home from Steve's Wallpaper and Blinds as a family member had good luck with them a few years ago. It is now 10 weeks after I ordered them and I am missing one still. One set doesn't work (new holes in walls that have to get fixed already) and I am now receiving other customer's orders to my home on a daily basis. I have spent hours on the phone with them and I have sent messages on a daily basis. I need blinds for privacy and don't want to make anymore needless holes in my window wells. I spent a fortune on the entire house and really don't have it in the budget to go get more now. The responses I have received are not pertaining to anything I have asked and I have received one credit for blinds that never showed up. That was it. I feel that I have been completely taken advantage of and have never been so upset with a shopping experience. We are so excited to move into a brand new home, but we are still without the privacy or blocking of the sun in key areas that are now covered with a cardboard box. I have sent pictures and everything. Then - today I received a message that the new samples that I ordered are on the way! I DIDN'T ORDER ANY!!! WOW - figure out customer service and quit ROBBING people. I wish I could sue them - I would...but I don't have any money now after a new home - and I have to save it for blinds that work.

[Resolved] Ripoff

Go to Lowes or Home Depot for your wallpaper, you'll get a MUCH better deal in the end. I found Steve's Blinds and Wallpaper to be misleading, dishonest, and a ripoff. Then, they have the nerve to insist on a 30% restocking fee after having misrepresented themselves.

Steve Katzman Apr 21, 2010

Dear Mr. Frost-

Jamie Diamont in IL Sep 09, 2011

BUYER BEWARE! IF THERE IS AN ISSUE with your blind order THERE IS ONE PERSON WHO CAN HELP - KHAL SWINDELL - but he doesn't return calls or emails. Don't bother sending emails or calling they want you to go away and keep your money. DEALING WITH THIS COMPANY IS A NIGHTMARE, you will only have headaches. Spend the extra $200 and go to Home Depot, Lowes ect.. I'm still sitting with defective blinds and half the order filled because the sales team does not know the products.

• Co
    ColleenD Dec 14, 2011

This is true, Khal will not really look at the issue, he will just reply with a cut and paste answer which shows he didn't research anything at all. I sent him a screen shot of what was ordered and what I received as it obviously doesn't match and he refused to address that the blinds received are not the color portrayed. I also email Steve twice as he has his email on this website, but he also does not return emails either. I cyber shop all the time and the majority of retailers I find are excellent. Steve's does not have good customer service, they are slow to reply and when they do, they do not care about investigating the issue.

• Ly
    LynetteR Aug 02, 2012

I recently found out the same thing. The blinds that I ordered were supposed to be fabric with a vinyl backing. When they arrived, they did not contain any fabric, just plastic and they were cheaply made. Customer Service was not helpful at all as Stephanie said that "her sample was fabric." That was helpful for her but I informed her that what was in my house was not fabric and I knew what I was talking about. I was told I could return them for a credit. Why would anyone want to deal with this company when they send you the wrong items and then will not accept responsibility. My plan is to talk with my credit card company and the local TV station rip-off squad. Then I may file a complaint with the state of CT. People need to know about this company and purchase items from them. The last straw was when the Customer Service representative said that a Supervisor would call. No one has called. LynetteR

I love My Blinds from Steves Blinds and Wallpaper

I love my blinds from Steves Blinds and Wallpaper. I went to their showroom in Sterling Height, Michigan. hey have hundreds of blinds on display and seemed like hundred and hundreds of wallpaper books. My husband and myself made 4 different trips there. We just purchased our first home and didn't realize how expensive blinds and wallpaper are. We shopped around at all the big stores like home depot and lowes. We have a lot of windows and need some wallpaper for a couple of our bathrooms. Nobody at home depot or lowes knew what they were talking about when it came to the blinds. Also home depot didn't have any wallpaper books to look at. Everyone who worked with us at Steves Blinds and Wallpaper were all extremely helpful and very very knowledgeable about blinds. On one visit Steve himself even came out to the showroom and answered a couple of questions for us. He looks just like he does on his website. He was so nice and was extremely helpful. We ended up buying 22 Bali cordless top down bottom up cellular blinds from Steves. Not only are they the only place that really knows what they are talking about but their prices where almost half of what home depot and lowes wanted to charge us - Steves sent our blinds right to our house via FedEx and they didn't even charge us extra for it. They all came in 7 days. My husband installed all of them and they all fit perfect. Steves Blinds and Wallpaper definitely earned an A++ from us and we will recommend them to all our family and friends.

• La
    lavendergirl816 Feb 19, 2010

Horrible service - can't seem to get a refund on an item I purchased on 2/4th but have yet to receive although each rep i've spoken with has told me its cancelled...i got the run around when inquiring about my item and now i'm getting the run around with the cancellation...i can't speak for anyone else but this to me is a horrible experience and i won't use this company again...the reps are completely clueless and incompetent with no idea what the other rep is telling me...checked on bbb and should have checked first...seems getting an item and refunds is a big problem for them...

BBB processed a total of 45 complaint(s) about this business in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total 45 complaint(s) closed in the last 36 months, 26 were closed in the last 12 months.

These complaints concerned:

1 regarding Repair Issues
    1 regarding Repair Issues

4 regarding Selling Practices

[Resolved] Terrible experience

I have spoke with Jackie at steves blinds they record your order I ask if the product was mint green because...

100% satifaction guarantee is a joke!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE SCAMMERS! FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE STILL WAITING ON REFUNDS - YOU CAN DISPUTE THE CHARGES ON YOUR CREDIT CARD BASED ON FRAUDULENT CLAIMS BY THE VENDOR OR ITEMS RECEIVED NOT AS PROMISED. I too was hooked by the 100% satisfaction "guarantee" on the website and the low prices but it has been such a hassle!!! I wish I had looked for reviews before ordering. There are only 3 of 13 positive reviews listed here. That says something. I ordered two different wallpaper patterns. One pattern was received four days after I placed my order, on a Friday. HOWEVER, the rolls were shipped in a flimsy plastic bag that was merely folded over and sealed with the packing label. When I opened the package Saturday morning, one roll was obviously damaged with a tear in it 1/4" long and it cut into the roll 1/8" deep. I immediately called and was told that the manufacturer was closed on the weekend but they would take care of it first thing Monday and call me to provide an update. I received a return shipping label via email on Monday but no phone call ever came. Five days later on Friday, still no phone call or update so I call to see if the replacement wallpaper has been shipped. I call Steve's at 3pm EST and am told that the manufacturer is (AGAIN?) closed. The customer service rep was less than helpful and rude. I called first thing Monday and was told that the replacement order was placed that morning. I pointed out that the website states it will be placed immediately upon me reporting the damage, which was over a week ago now. I was told that the request for a replacement was not made until I called two days ago and it was being processed accordingly. I was furious because it should have happened a week ago. I spoke to another clueless customer service rep and a supervisor - both said they were unable to help me. I told them that the policies on the website, specifically the promise for immediate reorder of damaged goods and the 100% guarantee, should either be enforced or removed. As of now, I still have not received the replacement wallpaper but two weeks later, the second pattern did finally arrive *much* later than promised. THE 100% GUARANTEE IS A JOKE. THE WEBSITE SAYS IT BUT THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND IT. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS. You can order any wallpaper found at their store from Sherwin Williams, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. with far less hassle.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices